Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I want to start smoking more this spring/summer and do it in something besides a kettle grill. I've wanted to get a BGE for a while but have been unable to justify the cost to myself (yet). Anyone have a good entry level dedicated smoker recommendation? Size wise I'll be doing 5-10 pound pulled pork, racks of ribs, dozen+ pieces of chicken, beer can chicken or two, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PainBreak posted:

:words:

Awesome post, thank you. Believe I'll pick up the Brinkman for the short term. Kind of jumping between residences at the moment, may commit to a proper set up once I know I'll be in the same place for more than a year or 2.

/wistfullly looks at designs for a full pizza oven I do not have a yard to build in

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Started a 8-9 pound pork butt this morning around 8AM. Its coming along nicely and is just rounding the 130-140 stuck point. The whole place smells like a camp fire and I love it. Truly an Opening Day miracle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah its the best part of the weekend. Friend and I are smoking a turkey right now, started at 8am and its already at 140 degrees. Hopefully we can slow it down a tad.

The last of that shoulder is actually making it into Easter dinner tonight. I didn't have any charcoal at the time so I spent the entire day with my laptop working on the deck tending the fire. Only took a break and handed the watch to my brother for the mets game. Have a feeling much of this summer will be spent out there with a radio, beer, and horseshoes. Might be time to get a kegerator out there...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Saw posted in Coupons & Deals, bringing it here:
30" Electric Master Built for $150
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Have a crappy Weber from a sale last year that I barely use just for the amount of effort it takes to keep the temperature constant for large cuts. Very tempted to pick this up for the additional space + the freedom of not being attached to the smoker for 12+ hours every time I use it. Anyone own one and can weigh in?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Started a pork shoulder last night around 1AM. Woke up this morning to an email from about 4:30 that the fuse blew in the garage where it was plugged into. It is 9AM. I turned it back on, but I'm assuming this thing has been sitting long enough that it needs to be tossed? My :10bux: :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The answer I expected unfortunately. I tried turning it back on while I waited but it blew the fuse again. The instructions said to season it for 3 hours before first use and that went off without a hitch, but I had to move it to a different outlet further away from the house at the last minute and didn't have time to stay up and babysit. Time to roll out the extension cords I guess.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I was talking more about the horseradish cream and potatoes, tbh, but that sounds good too.

Out of curiosity, why did you pick apple wood? I don’t normally think of apple as being a beef wood.

Apple is good for everything, especially if you're going to be doing some kind of blend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

toplitzin posted:

If it makes you feel better, this wasn't my best batch.

It does not. What's your method/time/temp?