Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

revmoo posted:

Smoked wings kick rear end

Super cheap, super easy to make, super juicy.

I usually season and freeze mine before throwing them in. Surefire and incredibly low-effort fire-and-forget way to get delicious wings without ever checking on them.

Unless, of course, you run a cheap-rear end redneck smoker like me where you should have moved them through conveyor belt style, but said "gently caress it" and had two more beers with the lads instead of checking on your wings. Still incredibly delicious, though.

I also don't know how I've been on these here forums for nigh 5 years without looking into all things BBQ or smoking in GWS. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Jamsta posted:

They look drat fine. Wood or coal smoked?

I'm generally a coal guy, but due to my apartment being in a residential area (in Germany, no less), straight-up stickburning isn't a viable option outside the really cold winter months where you can be 100% certain that noone has even a window tilted. I did get really hammered once while smoking a 9 pound butt throughout the day and gave zero shits while burning half a forest in my smoker and eventually, the cops turned up. I did offer them some wings on the spot and invited them to the cookout in the evening, but they declined and asked me kindly to not fumigate half the block.
One of them did come back in the evening in plainclothes after work, so happy end and all, but I digress...

THESE wings were coal smoked with a couple sticks of beech added. I usually throw in a couple of blackberry branches for poultry since that stuff grows like kudzu in the forests near where I live, but since it takes well over a month to dry and de-thorning the branches requires some effort, I only go out to resupply a couple of times a year and occasionally just run out.
But for marinated wings with a little kick, beech does just fine.

McSpankWich posted:

If I had to guess, I would say that it would give them longer in the smoke before they make it to temp, thereby increasing the smoke flavor of each wing. I also just made that up and it could be total bullshit

This is actually pretty spot-on, except not so much for the smoke aspect, but the hands-off approach when smoking them at higher temperatures. My first couple of tries early on ended up with somewhat too dry wings more often than not when I tried to get crispy skin, but after I saw a friend of mine dump two packs of store-bought and -marinated frozen wings on his weber at a party once and they ended up perfectly crispy AND juicy, I gave it a try myself and lo, it works.
It takes a couple of runs to get a perfect feel for exactly how long they need to stay on, but once you figure it out, it's basically just dumping them, closing the hatch, and returning to perfectly done wings after a while without ever checking in on them.
Perfect for some hands-off catering when you're hosting a bunch of folks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

revmoo posted:

Well 11 hours later and that shoulder made it to 175. Tossed it in the oven at 300 to finish. It's raining so I'm sure that had an effect on the temperatures.

I'm gonna throw it into a crock pot for transport and then if I notice the temps start dropping I'll just plug it in.

Into...what?

You have an outlet in your car powerful enough to run a crock pot?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Jamsta posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadpro-12V-Slow-Cooker-Black/dp/B0013IR88A

Your alternator needs to be able to supply 7 amps (most can), but yeah, it can be done :)

I've never owned a crock pot, so I'm kinda surprised these thing go as low as 80 watts, drat. I have a converter for my car supporting 400 watts, I could very well run that thing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I spatchcocked a Wiesnhendl (rather large, Oktoberfest-style chicken) the other day and I sincerely don't know what the gently caress I've been doing with my life until this point.

I'll probably do another one next week for a few friends and hopefully take some pretty pictures as I completely botched the whole surgical aspect of the spatchcockery and there was a bit of an issue getting half a bush of parsley into the picture, but I ended up drenching the parsley in beer, set the chicken on top of the bed of drenched parsley and put the entire thing into a large pan. The basting in the final quarter hour was just as basic as with a regular chicken and I've never, ever had chicken this tasty and juicy before.

I may need to turn down the overall temperature throughout all three steps a little more because, despite being rather large with close to 4 pounds, this was very far from a turkey and I ended up with some extra crispy tips.

(which I lovingly devoured nonetheless)

I think the one other thing outside of the spatchcocking that may have been a break of tradition in Wiesnhendling would be doing half of the process in my smoker, but it was well worth it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That looks really amazing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any good tips for removing the membrane? It seems like it is always a pain to get it to come off in less than 1000 pieces.

It really depends on the quality of the meat you're getting to begin with. Sloppy butchery will lacerate the membrane and then it's a pain in the rear end.

I usually just see if there's a little flab on the side I can pinch in the middle of the width of the rack and then cautiously pull it off. If there isn't, dig in with a dull knife's point to get between the first bone and the membrane and then repeat. Lots of YouTube tutorials for this recommend getting a paper towel to get a better grip on the membrane, but I usually just have a kitchen towel on the side to dry off my fingers after every rack I de-membrane.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

While I'm at it, I don't think I've ever contributed any pictures to this thread, and since I recently stumbled across both my old imgur account, as well as my folder with a ton of mostly unsorted pictures of all the smoking/grilling I did in the last couple of years since I got a smoker.

Here's my prized (cheap) possession, "Ashley Ironside", a regular Char Broil Silver Smoker that I pimped out with some nifty upgrades and a whole lot of unnecessary, white trash ones.

http://imgur.com/a/BZIsF

Here are a shitton of mostly unsorted pictures ranging from the time where I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing to the point where I had wrapped my head around how to run a smoker that loses a ton of heat basically everywhere.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the briskets, butts, bacon or Haxn (whatever that is in english) that I have in a separate folder back home. I'm really starting to miss smoking things and I've only been in the US for a little over 5 months now.

http://imgur.com/a/pS1Q1

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

While you're at it, if you're looking for a sparerib-holder, there's an Ikea plate organizer made of stainless steel called "Rationell Variera" (at least in Europe), for around 6 bucks that works wonders and costs about half as much as Weber models AND is of variable size, so you can adjust it depending on the size of your racks and placement on the grill.
Should be available via Amazon in the US as well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

BBQ With Franklin.

Episode 1 - Brisket

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365494916/

One of these days...when I've made it and money isn't an issue...I'll have Stump from Stump's Smokers build me a Smoker Trailer with upwards of 6 tires, a proper suspension and competitive shocks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, gently caress me, that looks amazing.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I'll be moving to a densely populated area next month. My best bet to minimize the amount of smoke and floating ash in the chimney would be lump charcoal and a paraffin starter correct?

Decent-quality charcoal should be fine, but I'd go with ethanol over paraffin. Not sure how good the quality of paraffin in the US is, but my experience with it back home basically meant varying degrees in purity of lamp oil, some of which would still yield smoke and soot. Your average denatured alcohol should be of mostly the same quality and price anywhere and you can just soak a little crumpled up piece of kitchen towel with it and fire up any amount of charcoal without much fuss.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The german idea of BBQ is buying thinly cut, premarinated steaks, thinly & not so thinly cut, premarinated bacon and either finely ground or coarse Bratwuerste (which are actually pretty decent) and then burning the entirety of it (with exception of the sausages) to an unrecognizable crisp before lathering it in copious amounts of store-bought "Steak-" or "BBQ-" Sauce.

I've been noticing a trend over the last decade where folks actually look into decent, Weber-style equipment and experiment with indirect heat & smoke, and I'm hoping that it catches on like microbrewing did in the US, but I'm still a little skeptical. Ironically, Frankonia, the region I'm from, has some of the most amazing cuts and types of meat prepared in every other way that would work incredibly well with smoke.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Erwin posted:

You say this as if it's gospel, but I've never heard it before. I'm new to smoking, but the few videos I've watched (including Franklin) don't mention boiling. Can you elaborate?

No, he can't, he's trolling.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I assume the fat just acts like a blanket to prevent surface evaporation?

Pretty much. There are arguments that more fat makes the meat more juicy, but primarily, you want the fat to act as a heat-shield. It needs to be just thick enough to do its job, but not so thick that the lower layers don't render properly.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'd honestly have to rethink how to cook that entirely.

Your butcher wasn't just lazy, he was also less than diligent and a bit of a dummy. If someone walks up and says "I want 4 lbs of brisket to smoke", there should be a whole bunch of follow-up questions and some educational statements as to what might be a better choice than what he did there. Instead, I take it he just nodded and took off exactly 4lbs from a good piece of brisket, which is dumb for a bunch of reasons.

The first time I tried to order a pork butt countless years ago, I didn't exactly convey that I was certain I knew what I was asking for, I certainly didn't know shoulder = butt at that point and, eventually, my butcher at that point simply asked a bunch of questions to a) make sure he knew what the gently caress it was that I was asking for and b) I was asking for the proper cut of meat for the thing I described. Butcher's still getting paid, he might as well make sure you're getting what you want.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Finally got around to making some spareribs, ironically enough, after coming back to Germany for a visit while not engaging in any form of BBQ in the previous 8 months in Arizona.
Grabbed 9 racks at 2.20 USD/lbs, prepped and trimmed them, went with a pretty simple rub of salt, pepper and a little brown sugar.

Split the ribs between two Webers, a little awkward without my trusty smoker, but with a set of bricks and some broken tiles, I managed to fashion a decent heat shield that allowed me to use the majority of the space on the grate while still cooking indirectly. Shot for 3 hours over home grown beechwood for roughly 3 hours, spritzed maybe once per hour.

Didn't quite have the science down, so the temperature rose a little too high once or twice, got one of the racks a little too done before the three hours of smoke were over.

Couple of friends decided to bring a 15l keg of some fine local brew by, in proper frankonian tradition, we insisted that the old man of the house tap it, head of the hammer fell off twice, fun was had by all.

A very happy camper upon unveiling some ribs to his guests.

Closer look, the tile on the left is overlapping the other tile on the coal grate below:

Served a BBQ sauce along a basic recipe from BBQ with Franklin along with it (half pound of butter, diced onion, pureed tomatoes, apple juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper, lemon juice, little garlic), because europeans need BBQ sauce regardless of the quality of the meat for some reason. Temporarily turned my vegan sister and her vegan-convert husband into carnivores, because poo poo apparently is, and I quote my father here: "like an angel taking a poo poo on your tongue."

Went for a second round today, cooked for a seperate set of friends, adjusted the makeshift heat-shield a little, tuned down the heat as well, same seasoning and concept as before.

Decided to just throw on the trimmed bits because gently caress it.

If there's a thing done really well in Texas, it's crutches, I guess.

Threw in a little makeshift pot of aluminium foil to boil off some apple juice and beer over the last 3 hours, ribs turned out nicely.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Forget a rack of ribs, I want a mobius strip of ribs.

A twisted Ouroboribs, if you will.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Okay next question: Should I get a rack to hold them or roll and skewer them like that one dude?

Honestly, while I find the idea of rolling them up intriguing, I'd miss the ability to texas crutch them. At least I'd assume that would be a problem.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That is a gigantic load of coals, I'm surprised you were able to keep the temp low enough, even with good airflow regulation.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If you're doing ribs in a Weber, you're perfectly fine with a minute amount of coals (I go with just around 10+). Bottom vents roughly 25% open and you can replace coals if needed when you open to spritz or mop. I'm not a fan of the methods where coals gradually catch fire because of the smell coming of just-igniting-coals, but if it works for you, by all means carry on. I go with my method because I once had a Weber with broken, no-longer-sealing bottom vents, and stuck with it ever since.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

marauderthirty posted:

Can't get my chips to smoke without putting them in the fireplace first, flame has gone out twice, wind blew the pan with all my fat and juices off the grill.. This brisket is going to be a disaster :(

Are you cooking in a hurricane? :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

marauderthirty posted:

It's a gas grill, burner is lit on one side as low as it goes but temp is 260 if I don't also choke the gas supply by nearly closing the valve all the way. Also, the pan is just a cheap foil one so that explains it blowing away with basically no wind (well, that and my luck in general). I have the chips right above the burner though and they will not burn, soaked them overnight and like I said I have to start them in the fireplace but they don't even keep smoldering. Keep smoking for maybe 5 minutes after I put them on. Definitely going to have to check out my pizza options for this evening.

If you've thoroughly soaked your chips, they're usually fine to put right beside the fire in a line to slowly churn through, but I'm thinking on a gas grill you should be fine to use dry chips in a pan above the burner depending on the distance between the two. In your situation, I'm guessing there's too much space and your soaked chips are just really slowly drying out instead of getting the smoke you want.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'd just like to say I love these kinds of posts.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mr_cramalldees posted:

We decided to light the smoker at the last minute yesterday, generally something that is frowned upon. I picked up two 5.5 lbs pork butts and forewent the brine due to time constraints. Since we were in a rush we opted for just a plain mustard + McCormicks rub which sat until I got the pit up to temp. Apple wood for smoke, brickettes for heat ( what I had on hand ), sat the temp at 250 for about 8 hours. Add in a one hour rest and the bones fell right out.

Didn't even light the box until noonish

What model is that, and does it have another large grate on the right for direct heat stuff, or is that just a gigantic loving firebox?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Seriously, I don't quite get why every task in this country has a separate product tailor-designed to it. I mean, there's a tool specifically tailored to break up ground beef/pork in a pan, because clearly, no other tool found in every household kitchen would be fit to do so. And it almost looks like you could use it to grind up/mash potatoes in a pot. BUT WAIT, there's a SEPARATE tool to mash potatoes in a pot. Both of these tools available for only 8.99 each at Wal-Mart.

Just improvise until you find whatever works for you and then keep using that.

Pulled pork? Use two forks. Or a pasta/salad ladle. Or literally anything else that works.

:ms:

/edit:

Didn't mean to poo poo on the guy asking for gloves, just a general rant.
I wouldn't search for gloves specifically designed for pulling pork, but maybe for a set of these fancy silicon oven gloves that are washable and insulate perfectly well, those should be versatile enough to replace pot coasters, regular oven gloves and would work to pull pork.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 27, 2016

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I really, really enjoy those posts.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

niss posted:

Oh wow, failed to see that part.

So did she.

:downsrim:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure beer drinking is for resisting that urge.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Speaking of reading this whole thread, what's the slowcooking-thread's equivalent to a guy in the charcuterie-thread ruhling a human leg, maggots and all?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm in the Stump's Smokers Facebook group for the occasional daily slowcooking-porn in my feed, and to dream about my secret fantasy of having a little catering business just to be able to smoke more meat, but sometimes, there's also a chuckle in there

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

I would never smoke wings. Thread is low and slow and wings really should be high and fast.

You can smoke high and fast, though? I've done wings a bunch of times, and while high and fast may not be the explicit topic of the thread, making wings in the smoker is a perfectly viable option.
If you freeze them before, you can give them a nice hint of smoke, and then dump in a load of charcoal at the end to finish them off and get the skin nice and crispy.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Listen to the man, Jimmy.

I started rewatching that show and that very spot is just 20 minutes past, now I'm crept out a little. :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

canoshiz posted:

Here's a fun vid -- North Korean refugees living in South Korea trying American style BBQ for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90

I think this is the same BBQ place they did another video like that with other Korean chicks at before. Guy knows his BBQ and has the credentials.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

my turn in the barrel posted:

I haven't done much grilling/smoking since last fall but we have had some freaky warm weather in Chicagoland the last few weeks so I decided to do some cooking.

Grilled Tilapia, I just thawed it and rubbed it with EVOO and then dashed with Old Bay. I didn't quite the grill up high enough for a good sear, I should have just tossed the old coal from last fall.

I figured I'd get the WSM out too. I'm trying to cut out sugar and have no idea what to put in a rub without it so I just used some Pork Barrel BBQ rub I got at sams. It turned out pretty good.

Still need to figure out what recipes to use to make my own rub. I usually just use salt/brown sugar/garlic/onion and whatever else comes to mind. But since I cut out sugars and I'm allergic to black/bell/red peppers I'm going to have to get creative.

I'm happy that you're getting decent results from experimenting without sugar, but if you're in the US, trying to cut out the sugar in your BBQ rub should be the very last stop in your attempts to remove it from your diet, so I really hope the "trying" part means you've cut it out of everything else already.

Sorry if that sounded condescending, I've just noticed in the last two years I've been hear that sugar is in literally everything, so I'd feel really bad for you to miss out on a hint of sugar in your rub, which isn't remotely the same as the teaspoon of sugar in anything else that you actually end up consuming.

What's the taste/flavor profile of that Pork Barrel rub, by the way?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I used to laugh at those bear claws and how dumb I deemed the investment, but after having been in the US for 26 months now, the Freedom has permeated through my body to the point where I want a pair.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

I've found that simple is best. Salt, pepper and brown sugar. No need for complexity or overwhelming the meaty taste of the meat you are eating.

Pretty much.

When I smoke for first-timers, I usually offer them two or three homemade bbq sauces on the side for some other spice options. I don't really go hardcore puritan on anyone that I'm trying to introduce to slow-cooked meat.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've seen both brands, and I own a CharBroil model that a friend of mine gave me as a gift before leaving Germany back to the US.

If you're in the armed forces, those models are the perfectly fine choice for when you PCS and know you're not gonna hang around too long.

But other than that, both models have almost the exact same feel, fabrication quality, and thickness of steel, and it's on the budget-level of the spectrum. It'll do the job, but it won't last you remotely as long as proper brands. The thickness of the steel also means you'll have to have a better "gut feeling" to keep the temperature up, any fluctuations in wind or ambient temperature will affect your cooking temp pretty quickly.

/edit: For reference, mine lasted 5 years before I had rust issues in the firebox, so good maintenance can get some good mileage out of those models, but on the other hand, if you're shooting for 5 years, maybe invest 5-year-levels of money in a proper model to begin with. :downs:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

A reasonably decent knife and a good quality whetstone (possibly two, since the double-sided ones tend to be more along discount-quality) are good investments everyone should make.

I've found that every extra buck you invest in a good whetstone gets your more bang than one invested in knives.

Okay, that sounds kinda wrong, I'm not saying that an expensive, high-quality knife isn't a good investment, but the threshold for diminishing returns is much lower in knives than it is in whetstones for someone that isn't an expert.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mormonism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You know St. Louis is just full spares cut down, right?

Speaking of which, last time I did ribs I bought full spares. I'd sworn I'd see lots of people talk about not cutting them down to St. Louis, but I couldn't find anything at that moment so I just winged it and basically just left the rib tips on. I was kind of indifferent to this method though and am curious if anyone has any tips on either how to cut them or what to do with the extra meat when you do trim them down to St. Louis.

I googled how to do a St. Louis cut the first time my local butcher only had a shitton of unprepped racks, but since they were a lot cheaper, I just winged it and it turned out nicely. A large portion of the extra meat you can prepare just like the ribs, (it just won't look that appealing) and the rest I just completely trim of fat and cartilage and snack at different stages during the cook.

If you want to be more efficient about it, you can also plan some form of smoked stew alongside the cook and use the trimmed parts for it. I once used the trimmings for crispy burnt bits and made a delicious gravy from the juices I pulled before dumping them in the oven, since I was making some good ol' Schweinebraten and taters along with the ribs.

Be creative and do whatever works for you.