Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Took a pack of dino beef ribs out of the freezer. In the past, no matter how long I marinate and braise they really seem to lack any inner flavor from the wine when smoked. If I slow cook in the crock they have plenty.

Perhaps I will smoke them a couple hours and then chuck them in the wine marinade in the slow cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Just returned from our local wally world. Pork spare ribs were still $1/lb.
Really beginning to miss our backup freezer that died last summer.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there any advantage to using the EGGnitor instead of a chimney to light lump charcoal in an Egg?

I'd never use a chimney for slow temp startup. My SOP is an electric igniter under a few lumps just to get them started.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

They could’ve delivered it in the rain, we just didn’t want them to because we didn’t want the Egg getting messed up.

Messed up?

I suspect that $2000 investment is not going to be used all that much.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FYI, I was at Costco yesterday and they had a Pit Boss kamado style smoker/grill for much cheaper than it's listed online. I think $599, but I wish I'd paid closer attention. Looked pretty drat nice.

IIRC they had it marked down in their recent coupon mailer. Still would not trade my double-walled Broil King smoker for one.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you got the coals going to hot it will take a long time to get the temp down because of how well insulated it is. Don't get the fire going so hot before you close it and let the regulator go to work.

I would add that you can easily extinguish the coals entirely if you simply close all vents. Overheating is why I mentioned only using an electric coal starter.

Got a late start on a butt around noon today. Realized it was relatively mild and somewhat humid and jumped on the conditions.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Mikey Purp posted:

You don't want to light all of your coals at once; that generates too much heat and that many smoldering coals will never get down to the temps you want. Instead what you're looking for is slow, steady heat from a couple of coals which will gradually ignite the coals around them as they burn up. That way, a new coal is ignited to replace the coal that is spent, which leads to a slow, steady supply of heat. Think of your coals the same way as a tank of gas in a car. You want to burn just enough gas to provide the energy you need to keep the motor running. If your car burned all of the gas at once it would loving explode.

Follow this guide: https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/500-starting-a-fire-for-low-and-slow-definitive/

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > If your car burned all of the gas at once it would loving explode

5:30PM and very much in the stall.

To the fellow above with the pristine egg, here's my process:
- Minimal ingredients in rub. (1 type of sugar most often brown, some kosher salt and a single type of pepper)
- Light edge of 3-4 lump charcoal (I love Fogu) and load charcoal around them
- Open all vents (close lid, eh) and allow smoker to get within 25-50 degrees of target temp.
- I put meat on at this point because when you open to put meat on you are letting a metric ton of oxygen in, which can cause it to heat up quickly
- only when the temp is 10-20 degrees from target temp do I almost entirely close the vents and THEN turn on the pitmasterIQ stoker. If it is comically frigid outside (10F and below), the stoker will run on high airflow constantly in an attempt to get up to temp, which adds oxygen but all that frigid air cools it down at the same time which often causes it to simply not stop blowing. In an ideal world the stoker is only putting virtual puffs in to keep the coals alive and nail the desired temp.

Once you get your procedure down, you will find that only a tiny number of coals are actually used during a 14 hour smoke.

I am not going to shame you/your dad for dumping cash into an egg, but I use a Broil King Keg. Metal and double-walled. Relatively lightweight, snug insulation, won't shatter and costs a fraction of an egg. That said the same principals apply for use.
I use a PitmasterIQ IQ110 stoker. There is a roll of metal duct tape with my smoking stuff that I use strips of to seal around the stoker vent. If you haven't yet, invest in a decent grill thermometer separate from the stoker's. The dial on the stoker is just a ballpark which I adjust based on the "good" thermo.

In closing: Never rush getting your grill ready prior to putting the meat on. Taking your time up front saves you from the overheating nightmare you just experienced.

In additional closing: Cleaning is fun as I just open up the vents after a smoke and allow the Keg to get to 800F+. (Only once did I forget I had the probes inside it :doh:)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 27, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

El Jebus posted:

Ah, Human Eradication Mode.

I wonder what type of wood they would choose to smoke us with.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

sterster posted:

What is your order of operations for your pork? I've always SV 1st then smoked with an bbq/smoked meat I've done SV. I'm curious about smoking 1st then SV then smoking again. Seems more complicated to do this way though.

Are people putting rub on stuff they sous? If so, before or after bringing up to temp?
I would think that putting it on prior would help get flavor into the meat and then maybe another rub prior to smoking so you could get bark.

If you smoked/barked first then I could see the bark becoming a gawdawful mess when you sous.

Of course now I am wondering what happens stall-wise.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

half a chimney full of coals on top of that

You are most assuredly trolling at this point.

One neat trick grill manufacturers of the egg don't want you to know:
When holding the gasket down with one hand, aggressively slam the lid closed. It should save you a few bucks and a lot of time waiting.

edit: If you are saying the half-chimney of coals was unlit, disregard the above.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Yes it was unlit. I’m not THAT stupid.

The temperature was 291° the last time I checked it. 45 minutes later, it’s now 327°. It seems to be under control for the most part, although I’m a little annoyed that it’s so close to 350°, and that I still have to figure out how to get it 100° lower. But still, progress.

I closed the top vent a little bit to cut the airflow down some. It’s now about 1/4 of the way open. We’ll see what that does.

This grill is apparently a completely different beast from what I’m used to. I’ve only ever smoked on Weber kettles and Char-Griller barrel smokers until now. I’m having to relearn how to smoke.

You have your vents too open.

Canuckistan posted:

I know, right? coals + air = heat. Simple.

The door on my WSM is leaky as hell so my usual vent is like 100%/90%/90% closed. That works so I can't be arsed buying a new door or putting a gasket in.

I close mine down like that and let the stoker force the old air out. Nothing but the stoker allows air in the bottom and the top vent is only open a smidge.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 2, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Trastion posted:

I can't wait until he posts the pictures of his hand all burnt up because he grabbed a bunch of still hot coals to relight them.

Wait, you aren't supposed to light them while they are in your hand?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

VERTiG0 posted:

Kingsford is a fine charcoal. Briquettes and lump both have their place. Right tool for the job.

What job are briquettes the right tool for?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Stringent posted:

The lump I get here is prone to not lighting when you're doing a long cook with minion method or whatever. So I only use lump for grilling now, briquettes for long smokes.

Where is "here"? I get my Fogu from Amazon, ships free.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I started the Egg again about 2 and a half hours ago. Checked it after an hour and it was at 250°. Now it’s at 262°.

Hooray. :haw:

What are you setting it at and what position are your vents?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Odd. I wonder why you have lump issues. I thought my elevation (near 7k) would effect mine. Maybe I am just so used to how to light them here. When (if) I move to a lower elevation, my typical light technique will probably melt my smoker.

Wait, you are in Tokyo and do not have a Kamado? :iiam:
You should track down the oldest and most traditional one and post it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 4, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

veiled boner fuel posted:

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/201809

Getting ready to do a corned beef brisket. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that smoke it for three hours or so and then either wrap it, or put it in a sealed foil pan with water/barbecue sauce/mustard/whatever.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've done a lot of brisket but never corned beef.

It's basically a pickled brisket, no? Thinking it would cook the same way as a common brisket. I'd wrap it when it hits stall and then crisp it at the very end.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ugh, FINE I’ll worry about seasoning the grate later. It’s gonna be a little bit before I get to do any smoking on this thing, but I am gonna grill some burgers on it tonight and maybe tomorrow, followed by steaks at some point in the next few days or so.

Congrats on your top end steak and hamburger maker. Pics of the hotdogs when you venture that far.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Was tasty but ended up dry :saddowns: Which is a problem I've generally been able to avoid with regular brisket.

Well huh that sucks. What were your smoke times? I wonder if them being soaked for so long (and injected?) causes them to be in perpetual slow/stall the entire smoke.

I picked one up yesterday and will attempt it this week. Maybe I'll smoke it at really low temp for a couple hours, like at 125F temp smoke (regardless of final internal temp) and then wrap it and crank to 225.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Literally the only reason I haven’t smoked anything on this Egg yet is because I’m not in charge of the menu at my house. That’s my parents’ jurisdiction. I’m itching to smoke something RIGHT NOW, but I’m waiting on them to buy something I can smoke.

Apparently this is my life right now. It sucks and I hate it.

I’m getting pretty impatient though, so I might just run to the store and pick up a pork butt or something with my own money some time in the next few days. Only problem is I don’t have much money, and I have to be careful with what I do have.

Heyyyyy, I am sensing you are not really a doctor. :colbert:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

It was about 11 hours at an indicated 250 with the caveat that the probe/temp controller makes 250 seem more like 225. I.e. doing stuff at an indicated 225 with the new setup seemed like it took way too long so I think it's reading at least 15 degrees high compared to the other probes I've used.

This was a ~7 pound packer.

I found some people saying just smoke it like any other brisket but it seems like there were a lot more recipes involving wrapping (like I don't think I've ever seen 80% of regular brisket recipes talk about wrapping) and some recipes involving foil pans so there must be more to it.

Also found one recipe saying "Once you realize it's just a brisket, cook it just like a brisket" and then saying that it's done at 175.

Amazingribs (which I don't think I'd run into during my minimal research, though I shoulda checked them) says to smoke it until it stalls and then steam it (they talk about doing it on a gas burner but don't see why you wouldn't just shove it back in the smoker) in a covered pan to 203.

If steaming for a large part of the time, maybe I'd just do like I was thinking and smoke low for the flavor and then seal for the rest of the time and not wait for the stall. Not like bark will be all that awesome after steaming after all.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Pork loin at 225
:ughh:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

El Jebus posted:

Leave Donald Jr. alone. LEAVE HIM ALONE!

I just know salmon smoked at 400 is right around the bend.

LOL
VVV

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I'm the undercooked pork loin > a month past expiration.

You should probably grind the old seasoning off of that grate and reseason since you left crud on it. Tapeworms and stuff, you know. :eng101:

Seriously Gitmo, where did you get those photos from?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 8, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I still do not get why the need for the instant read when he already has a DigiQ. I do not trust the analog on my smoker, or the stokers probes. But I darned sure trust the Maverick I stick into the flesh and smoker. If you're looking you're not cooking.

I am still a bit nauseous from looking at that pork loin.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Buying everything over time to get a smoker in a state of set-it-and-forget-it is a worthy goal, but buying things that something else is already taking care of is nuts. Especially when you factor in that "cannot afford fresh pork butt/shoulder" aspect.

I suspect that a large % of those who buy BGEs are the same way though.

:toot:"Wow, that BGE you have is impressive!"
:chef:"Thanks, look at all these gadgets! They do things!"
:toot:"Have you actually cooked anything?"
:chef:"An amazing pork loin at 225! Could not afford pork butt, but was juicy! We need a new thermometer."
*posts pics of raw pork with slime for bark and tapeworms wiggling around on the plate*
:confuoot: "..."

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

VERTiG0 posted:

After doing the 15/10/10 lighting method, the shoulder is on!

Looks like it is in jail.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

So in the almost expired (read: aged) discounted meat case I picked up a 1 pound 1 1/2" thick prime grade prime rib steak. chucked kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on it and shoved it into the fridge. I've never made prime rib as a steak, but rather as a roast. Do the steaks do well as a steak on a super-hot grill akin to a ribeye, or should I slow it?

Edit: Is a prime rib steak the same thing as a ribeye?

It's not remotely lean:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 10, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My understanding is that if you say prime rib steak it should include the bone and if you say ribeye it shouldn't, but it's the same part of the animal.

I also get in a lot of arguments with (lovely grocery store) butchers though, so I could be wrong (London broil isn't a cut of beef you fuckers!)

Well it is definitely boneless.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

arisu posted:

So I've always heard that ribeye isn't really suited for slow smoking, but what happens if I got a 3-4 bone roast and just cooked it like a brisket? Will it get tough and dry? Always been a little curious.

I imagine it would result in pulled beef.

arisu posted:

Like I said, I've already done that and it turned out great.

Basically, I like slow smoked beef ribs more than I like prime rib. Meaty beef ribs are a bit harder to come by. I'm not talking about going and buying the best USDA Prime rib roast for this, I'm just thinking if the supermarket does a $5/lb sale on bone in rib roasts, I could try smoking it and seeing how it turns out.

Our larger costco has a huge meat locker that includes dino-sized beef ribs. Since our backup freezer bit the dust we haven't had room for large purchases like that.
edit: IIRC they were around $3.99/lb

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 22, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

arisu posted:

I think I need to ask my Costco folks to see if they carry the same. Everytime I've been there I haven't seen any beef ribs on the meat section put out.

This Costco has both a regular cooler case meat section for the cut stuff as well as a humongous walk-in cooler with whole slabs of meat.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Yeah, temp units are only as good as it's probes. I've gone through like 5 in the past couple years. More recently I have an issue where one works in one side while not in the other. If I swap the probes they both work. :iiam:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Guitarchitect posted:

I haven't been around the forums for a while but I'm hoping for a recommendation! I couldn't find a BBQ thread (?!) but this is as good a place as any to ask: anyone use a Traeger Pellet Grill? Here's my dilemma: I have a broil king keg, but it has just been frustrating for me. It's small (18" diameter) and proper direct/indirect cooking requires more juggling than I'd like. Cooks slow pretty well, though, but it's hard to keep it below 275 because it holds heat so well... and it takes a lot of babying. I was going to get an ATC for it but realized I might be throwing good money after bad.

So I'm thinking I'll change my setup but not spend any more money - sell the keg and re-invest. Either a 26" weber kettle or a 22" and a traeger pellet grill (junior elite). Or another pellet grill if it's more advisable. I still want to do low and slow cooking, but I'd like a solid direct/indirect setup as well. The 26" seems to be great for that because of the extra space to get away from the coals (with a slow-n-sear), but the traeger obviously frees up the kettle completely, and the 22" has too many accessories to count. I just haven't heard many first-hand accounts of the Traeger other than what I see on Amazon. Some advice + insight would be much appreciated!

The keg? Uh, indirect cooking requires a drip pan. It is ridiculously simple to nail 225 with a decent stoker attached. It is infinitely easier to hold temp than a single-wall weber or traeger. As far as room, it comes with an upper swing out rack.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

RisqueBarber posted:

Acclaimed poster and bbq enthusiast Dr. Gitmo has a great picture of over smoking:

You only need about two of those wood chunks

:eyepop:

I do have to wonder if there is actually such a thing as too-much wood. Doesn't franklins pretty much use ONLY wood for their stuff? Granted it's offset from the meat chamber so it's not like a bonfire under the meat. As long as it is not actually flaming at all, is there much of a diff? Personally I toss a chunk or 3 of mixed wood depending on the meat.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Canuckistan posted:

Meh, I can tell you that it didn't taste good and I like it with just a few chunks. If you like balls out mesquite flavour then good on ya, but it's not what I would recommend someone for their first cook.

Of course not. That said, you can have tons of chunks in the pit and like charcoal only a few will be smoldering at a time. I don't think anyone is suggesting lighting all the wood at once. Well, maybe Dr Gitmo judging by that picture.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Guitarchitect posted:

Yeah, thats the theory on the keg... In practice most people have trouble keeping it below 250-275.

What? Where are you pulling that statistic from? I routinely use my keg for smoking and super high temp grilling.If you cannot keep it below 250 then you are lighting too many coals and/or too much air flow.

If you seriously do not want to take the time to learn how to use it properly, and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, get a proper stoker and 2-probe temp monitor.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 11, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Guitarchitect posted:

A bunch of guys on thee BSK forum and the Facebook group. Did you need to make any mods to get better air sealing on yours?

Maybe I just haven't got the patience - I've waited for ages to bring it up slowly but it just constantly overshoots, or I get I to the up/down/snuff cycle I mentioned. I talked to one guy extensively who put a BBQ Guru port into his and he said he just gave up on 225 and adjusts his times to use 275 instead... He ends up using electrical tape on the pull out ash try for every cook (we both have the bsk5000, ironically the lower-tier 2000 is already set up for a stoker but the 5000 really isn't)

I'm certainly going to keep trying (wife wants ribs for mother's day dinner), and its not as though i get bad food out of it... I'm just no longer beholden to the thing. The thing I didn't realize/appreciate about kamados when I bought it is that they are primarily smokers, when smoking is probably my secondary interest... I lost sight of that when I started looking at primo-alternates and had been focusing on finding a cheap kamado

I use a pitmasterIQ on mine and as long as I do not overlight my lump it NAILS 225. Note that I use my maverick probe to set the temp rather than just the one on the stoker. No other mods beyond replacing the flattened lid seal with a stove rope seal this spring, and only because the old seal was shot. Honestly if you are looking at spending money, just get a decent stoker. Short of an egg you are not going to get a better insulated smoker for long smokes in all weather. fake edit: If I am doing something like salmon at 190, I will break out the metallic tape and seal a little more around the lower vent

As far as primarily smoker, mine is only so because that is what I personally do more often. However if I want to crank it to 800 it is happy to do so. In fact to clean it I just open the vents 100% at the end of a cook and allow it to go nuclear.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Guitarchitect posted:

But back to the keg, I was just thinking that i might get better results if i switch to briquettes, since they burn lower than lump and the keg has its air holes separate from the charcoal grates (meaning ash clogging shouldn't be a problem like it is on some eggs). When you light yours, what's your process? I typically just light a starter cube (on top of a pile of lump) and shut the top when it's done, keep the vents open at 1.5 (top) and 2 (bottom) and start throttling the vents down to 0.5 and 0.5 at 150

I chuck a few handfuls in (if empty) and set my electric contact starter into them. Once a few are started I open both vents and close the top. When within 50 degrees of my target I put the iQue on the vent and set it, closing the top vent to the 1 position if not nearly closed. Once it gets to within 25 degrees of target I compare the maverick pit probe with the iQue probe and dial it in as it should be for 225 and let her go. I often put the meat (and the wood chunks) on at that point as well because if you wait for 225 and open to put the meat on you are allowing a ton of fresh air in that will cause it to overshoot.

I go to start that process a good hour prior to expecting to put the food on. Rushing the initial heat-up is not a good move. My Keg will hold and I mean NAIL 225 for 14+ hours with the iQue as long as all coals are touching. There is no season, I use it year round.

But yeah I have the original model with the sliding door for the bottom vent.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 11, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Reminds me of when I attempted to clean out the ash in my smoker with compressed air.

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really drink coffee, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Go to costco and get a 2 gallon can of nacho cheese sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone do ribs on a gasser?

Not since I got a charcoaler. When I did I just rubbed and foiled for the entire cook.