Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
In both cases of plants regrowing. Those were the plants reseeding themselves. If you let them go to seed, they'll grow new plants near your original plants. Herb gardens are easily managed in pots on a patio. This also allows you to bring them in durning freezes and control what soil you start with. I suck at gardening (except for garlic), but i got a decent collection of herbs i use frequently. I have 2 rosemary bushes that ive had for about 5 years and that has saved me a pretty penny on herbs with just a 10$ investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

life is killing me posted:

I have a power vacuum sealer and a manual one with a hand pump so should be good there. All I got is a point right now though, I never tried making pastrami or corned beef even so I don’t even know where to start until I do some research. Imagining one would use the flat tho

I cut a whole brisket in 3 peices the last time i corned one. I did so mostly for portion control and to help it cure evenly. Turned out great. Way better than store bought. Amazingribs should have a corned beef cure. Takes about a week. Once you corn it, then you put your pastrami rub on it and smoke it. Then its pastrami.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Olpainless posted:

Got a couple of octopuses in the freezer waiting for the weather to improve to throw on the offset. Any suggestions/advice on those? Plan is to run as cool as possible, with olive wood and an oil rub.

Ive never smoked octopus, so this is just a theory. Since it gets so rubbery when overcooked maybe cold smoke with trays of ice. Then sear for a minute or two.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sounds about right. I’ve never understood why people do that—especially if they know what a stall is and what causes it, then add more liquid to it throughout the cook

I think they do it to prevent it from drying out knowing they will crutch it later anyways? It doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Just dont trim so much fat off and itll be moist.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ive just put towels in a cooler with the meat. I dont think preheating it helps unless you're holding it for a long time. It does need to be an insulated container. A cambro isnt ideal, but use what you got.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
That sounds like a decent plan, but how long is that hose going to be? Are you gonna purge that hose after everytime you grill. I wouldnt want a 50ft hose full of propane just hangin out until you grill again. What about a more permenent hard line that you bury?

Just throwin some ideas out there.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

gently caress, I didn’t think about that. It would be about 9-10ft, and across concrete. Meaning the hard line would have to come down from the valve, go left at the slab, back toward the ground, buried, go about 4ft and then come to the slab again and turn into flex line which would be about 3-4ft to the grill. I wouldn’t know how to purge the line, I guess my plumber buddy could show me but honestly he probably meant hard line anyway. You’re right, I probably don’t want it to be all flex line.

Purging really just means emptying the line of propane. You shut off the valve at connection from the pillar to the pipe going to the grill and let your grill burn out whats left. That length would hold a decent amount and i personally wouldnt want a flexible exposed line with gas in it. If you bury a hard line, then you wouldnt have to worry and you can put a valve right by your grill.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I feel like I absorbed a random tidbit somewhere that smoking fish can turn a hot smoker nasty or add a fishy smell to future smokes? Not true?

Na not that ive seen. I used to work at a butcher shop and we'd smoke trout at least once a week. The rest of the time we smoked sausages and jerky. Id occassionally taste test (best part) for quality and never noticed any fish flavor. Just keep your equipment clean.

Slightly related sidenote: cast iron skillets will carry over a little fish oil unless you use just a little soap after cooking fish. To some, using any soap on a cast iron equates to an act of terrorism. I aint here to start that arguement, but if you use cast iron, maybe get a spare just for fish. I know thats not what you're askin, but i love giving advice no one asked for. Its a character flaw.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

You should stay home and do shrooms homie.

Edit: smoke some ribs on the comedown.

Yeah, this. Or start your ribs right after you take the shrooms. 5 to 6 hour smoke and those shrooms will likely be overwith.

Oh the possibilities.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I figure someone here might be able to help me with something. I've cold smoked salmon with pellets 5 or 6 times now and the results have varied a lot.

Can you link the recipe? Maybe try light brown sugar or just white sugar and less of it. Maybe its the molasses in dark brown sugar that builds that crust. Not for sure tho. Everytime i make beef jerky with a bunch of brown sugar, it has a shiny coating after being smoked and dried for 4 to 6 hours even if i rinse it off.

Ive done a pretty consistent dry brine on whole salmon fillets when i worked at a country club. It was 50/50 white sugar and salt, lemon, lime, and orange zest, and a bit of vodka. I packed the fillets in that mixture for about 2 days and then hot smoked them for a couple hours. Chilled in the cooler and served on a brunch buffet. Went over pretty well. I never noticed a significant crust when i did this, but i was also hot smoking for a mich shorter time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've gotten consistent results smoking meat in my wood fired oven now after a lot of experimentation. I've done some tri-tip, brisket, dino ribs, and I think I also did pork butt once. I don't know how much the thread cares about it since I've gotten hassled a lot about even trying to do this in the past for some strange reason, but I figured I'd share what I figured out.

The wood-fired oven is built out of type-II firebrick with insulation and stucco for the finish. The door is also insulated. What is peculiar about this one I made is that it's more like a "keyhole" design with a larger, cylindrical entrance that leads into a dome further bake. So it's much deeper than the first one I built that was a traditional dome with the mouth cut into the circular profile. I did this so I would have two cooking zones and it's been pretty good for that. In the future, I don't know if I would instead just make a bigger oven. I had been talked out because the dome's already 42" around but if I could make myself a front cooking zone in a 48" oven, I could then reach everything much better.

The problem I had with smoking in it was primarily trying to get any kind of smoke flavor at all. I could have some coals left over that I fed some fresh wood for flavor and then put some meat down on the other side of the dome. What I'd get would be almost like I was running it in a crock pot. No smoke flavor. Also, whatever was looking at the fire was liable to get burnt. So I was trying to figure out if I could get something almost like an ammo can full of water between the fire and the meat, but I couldn't find anything robust that I could manipulate at the far reach of the tools I have. Remember, this oven is kind of deep.

I had also tried more and more intense methods of producing smoke to the point that I would up raw, unprocessed mesquite chunks that were making GBS threads puffy white smoke out the flue. Even that wouldn't hit the meat.

Your oven is not designed to smoke. Its a pizza oven. It gets HOT with notes of wood flavor. A smoker has the heat and smoke come from below the product you are smoking in a low and slow fashion. 225 to 275F. If your are burning wood at the same level the product is, then all the smoke skips the meat and goes out the chimeny.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 4, 2021

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A cardboard box is designed to transport things but people smoke meat with them too. Or, to turn this around, metal smokers can't smoke meat because they were conceived from oil rig gear from the early 20th century. They can only impart the flavor of crude oil at best.

Like, you're telling me what I'm producing is unicorns and fairy dust. My post was about the success I finally have from figuring it out. You're outright denying this as if I am posting from another reality. I just don't get it.

Im not denying anything. I thought your sentence of "i had a hard time imparting smoke flavor" was more of a question for advice. Im paraphrasing because i dont want to quote and then delete 99% of the post.

If this works for you then that is awesome. Im not tryin to knock what you built or the way you use it.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Transglutaminase.

No meat glue!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Its not a bonfire. Maybe light the coals inside your garage near the door with the door open. Just pay attention and dont leave it unattended.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

I’m smoking some shoulder tomorrow and I’m gonna be a little more pure this time and use a Memphis rub and serve slaw to put on top. Wife and I both hate mayonnaise so I am gonna do a vinegar dressing for the slaw, though there’s something to be said for the sweetness of mayo-based dressing slaw when the flavor mixes with Memphis bbq sauce. I hate mayo slaw by itself but on a Memphis pulled pork sandwich it’s heaven. We will see how vinegar goes with it, but we are having guests over outside on our patio and like me, some of them are from TN.

Now to hope that the GF BBQ sauce she wants actually tastes good, she GF and I’m not soooooo that’s a little awkward

I haaaate mayo as well, but if i put enough applecider vinegar in with mayo, it masks it well enough for me. The drssing i use is mayo, apple cider vinegar, spicy brown mustard, celery seeds, sugar, and S&P. I dont make it very often, but its the only reason i have mayo in the fridge.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

ixo posted:

I use unflavored Greek yogurt instead of Mayo for my slaws, and nobody I’ve fed it to has ever noticed.

Thanks for the idea! Im gonna try this next time i make slaw. Sounds great and id actually use the yogurt for something else.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

IT BURNS posted:

How are meat prices looking for everyone's typical cuts? At the grocery store yesterday, baby back ribs were $22 a slab (up from $10-$13), pork butt is over $30, dino ribs are in the $60 range, and brisket is well over $80 (same range at Costco, don't even get me started on their prime pack of rib eyes being $75 when it used to be $35). Getting priced out of my favorite weekend hobby, goddamn.

When i grocery shop for almost any meal, i hit the meat dept first to determine whats for dinner. If nothing is on sale, then its chicken. Chuck roast is around the 7 or 8 dollar per pound mark and goes on sale for 4. 4 was the standard price 10 years ago.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Speaking of sous vide. Anyone have a recommended brand/model. Should i get a vacuum sealer too or just roll with ziplocks?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

McSpankWich posted:

Your mom was right

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thinking about cold smoking, building a wooden smoke shack, like 1x1m meters and maybe 2m tall structure. Probably something propane driven to make the smoke.

How plausible is it in winter months when the temps are below freezing? Maybe if you add insulation?

Are you planning on cold smoking frequently while its below freezing? The only real issue is keeping your product from freezing while it smokes. The heat from the propane should be enough.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hard to say, probably I will try and keep cold smoking to spring and autumn. But if I start this project now I'm probably gonna be ready to try it out in time for the coldest time period of the year.

Just looking at a few searches, it seems like rockwool would be your best option. The biggest question is if its worth the effort. That depends on you and your local temps.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Doom Rooster posted:

There is only one electric smoker and its name is Masterbuilt.

Agreed. Ive enjoyed mine, but i do recommend getting a smoke tube to add to it. I still put chips in the tray, but the added smoke tube allows me to set it and forget it on longer smokes like brisket or pork butt. Also skip the glass front. Its pretty useless.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Looks like a solid book to me. The other two gifts are great as well.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Comb Your Beard posted:

I made a picnic shoulder in my masterbilt. Barely checked the temp and I finally went and it was 190 at about 10 hours. The skin is a bit thick and chewy, should I have broiled it in the oven to render it more? I blowtorched it a little bit but that doesn't really scale up very well. About 95% of the meat was usable, it's not quite as nice as a butt shoulder.

I usually wrap at 165 or finish in the oven with broth or apple juice and some jalepenos. Ill shred it and toss the liquid in a blender and mix it into the meat.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Does your smoker not hold temp in the cold? Are you just tryin to speed up the process? It all depends on what equipment you have available and what quantities you're working with. Cutting and baggin up all that seems like a lot. I would use the oven to finish most of that before bagging and sv.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

T-Square posted:

I wanted to try smoking some poor man’s burnt ends and pork belly brisket style yesterday but it turns out chuck roast is now expensive as gently caress or I never noticed because I don’t buy it that often, and also my store no longer carries pork belly :mad:/:(

Yeah, you can find it on sale for $4/lb if you're lucky. Been like that for a few years.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Pork butts are on sale for 77 cents a pound at kroger near me in DFW. I grabbed a couple just because. I wish i had space for a big freezer.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Murgos posted:

What do people prefer to do impromptu cold smoking? Like without spending a ton of money on specialty equipment.

Those pellet tubes? Or the saw dust spiral? Hot plate with a cast iron pan and wood chips ala Alton? Some other option I’m not aware of?

I like the pellet tube. I can get about six hours of smoke out off a full tube. I have a MB electric and the chip pan is so tiny. The tube lets me set it and forget it for a while. I havent used the other options.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
E: way too late. Goodluck with the smoke!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Done!

Any recommendations for a sharpening stone or just whatever?

Just get a honing steel (or porcelain) for now. They come very sharp.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If you're smoking 20 lbs of brisket tomorrow, you may not get to smoke the cream cheese until Saturday.

One of the best little appetizers. Useful tiding over the angry hoards when the meat isnt quite done.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Grandito posted:

If you trust the Traeger temp controller, just start the brisket tonight before bed. Put it on at 10pm, wake up bright and early to check on it.

It works best if you have a thermometer with an alarm for the grate that can wake you up if something goes wrong with the fire.

This is what I do. Im a night owl, so Ill start a brisket at 2am right before i go to bed. I have a thermo probe for the brisket and an air probe that sets on the grate. Ill set alarms for low and high temps on the air probe and of course the brisket.

Ive had some finish as early as noon. Ill wrap it up and put it in a cooler with towels. It held temp until dinner just fine.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

nwin posted:

Ugh I’m going back down this rabbit hole and need advice.

I currently have an MES30 and boy i fuckin hate cleanin that thing. It smokes stuff great when you add a tube, but i might be in the same boat soon too.

Im probably not goin pellet grill since i already have a propane grill. Im probably leanin towards a stick burner, but i think what ill save in cleaning ill spend on wood and tending fire.

Sorry, i know this doesnt help you. Just wanted to commiserate on cleanin ol sparky short stack.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

I have a mes how do you guys clean it? What do you clean? I usually just put the removable pieces in the dishwasher

I usually have to scrub the racks and water/grease trap with sos pads. My dish washer just makes all these items rusty. I should buy new racks. The interior i hose out about once every 6 months and scrub where needed.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

Currently resting

How long did you smoke those?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Speakin of ham. Anyone smoke fresh ham hocks before? One of my fav dishes at a local german restraunt is smokes ham hock with kraut. They serve a giant one. Not like the small ones you get at the grocery for soups.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I bought what is essentially a prize box of pork from my butcher today, and I think one of the items is a ~5 lb bone in pork sirloin roast. I was initially going to treat it like a pork shoulder due to the amount of connective tissue, but I don't think that's correct anymore. Anyone have any experience try to slow cook something like this?

Sounds like a fancy name for the end cut of a pork loin. Smoke to 140 and let it rest about 10 minutes. Carry over cooking will push it beyond 145 and itll be smokey and juicy. Might just debone it and save the bones for stock.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I did a pork butt yesterday. 6 hours on the smoker at 275 then in the oven with some broth covered at at 350 for 2 hours. Shredded perfectly for some great tacos.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Kaddish posted:

I never used to wrap shoulder until I started putting it in a pan with stock and covering it with foil at the stall. Remove the foil for an hour in the end to get some bark back. It's so good.

This is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’m resting a big ol pork butt in the toaster oven on the warm setting (155 degrees).

Been resting since about 10:30am. It should be fine in there until 5pm right?

Right???

A brisket would be.

Yeah, its fine. Only risk is drying out a bit.