Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

McSpankWich posted:

That picture is massive but I'm not mad about it

edit: Has anyone done like smoked roast beef? To save money we've been buying cheap eye of round roasts, dry curing them, and then slicing them thin on a friends deli slicer ($4/lb vs $16/lb for deli roast beef). I'm not sure how I didn't think of this until now but doing it in the smoker instead could be really good? It might dry it out though.

I've never smoked one but you would want to smoke/cook it like a rib roast or some cuts of steak - just cooked to your temperature preference, such as medium rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes for exactly this reason. I just put on the bbq dust, put them in, and wait. They do end up a little dry if you leave them out, so I would consider wrapping them.
But also if they soak in their jucies they turn into a paste and it's really gross.

If you’re smoking something without a lot of connective tissue there is no need to wrap as you should be cooking to around 140-145 Fahrenheit for beef. Nor should they be ‘soaking in their juices’ wtf.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Going to smoke a pork belly next week for the first time to put in some thanksgiving side dishes. I'm pretty excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If you have a bucket or something put it in a water bath and change the water every hour or half hour

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just smoked a pork belly but didn’t cure it. Along with ‘Butt Rub’ rub I added some brown sugar. Dang it was delicious. I’ll be smoking more of those for sure.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm going to smoke a pot roast, the seasoning turned into a paste last time I did it so I'm going to take advice

I’m curious as to what the rub was if it turned to paste.

You can’t go wrong with treating it like a brisket and just salt + pepper, maybe some Lawry’s.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The controller on my MES stopped working after about a year. I never used the wood chip tray, only smoke tube. It worked just fine for what it was. I think I got it on sale for like $80 or something.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

I picked up some boneless beef chuck ribs yesterday because the marbling straight up looked like wagyu despite being choice grade.

I'm probably just gonna throw them on the smoker despite them being slender individual rib cuts, but anyone have any other suggestions?

Do you mean aside from smoking them? Braising would be a good option. Maybe sous vide with a reverse sear?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah aside from smoking them. And I don't have sous vide equipment.

Honestly I think I'm just gonna hit 'em low and slow on the smoker.

I actually made some baby backs in the oven for the first time since.....years I guess. My wife prefers them that way. I forgot how good even oven-baked ribs are.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m was gifted a MEATER +. Can this take the place of my SMOKE? It registers both meat temp and ambient temp so it seems comparable, but it’s just so small and simple.

I mean, just try it and find out. Use both on the first cook.

I'm doing a double-smoked ham with a bourbon glaze for Christmas dinner.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody do picnic shoulders by choice instead of regular butt/shoulders? I did them a few times before proper smoking, crock pot or pressure cooker. They are a little cheaper. The skin ratio is higher but I feel the meat is not as nice. I'm back in action having fixed the moisture issue near my masterbilt control board. Feel dumb I waited so long to fix something so easy. Shoulder in there with mustard, rubbed with Knorr Pork Bouillon cube crumbled, Lowry's Season salt, coarse Montreal steak seasoning.

I would treat a picnic the same as a smaller ham personally. Absolutely works in a smoker but I'd be looking to slice it instead of pulling, like a full shoulder.

Speaking of ham, I did a double-smoked Costco ham with a cherry bourbon glaze for Christmas this year and I turned out fantastic. A good value for how much meat you get and was delicious. Super easy, too.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 10, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a Smoke and was gifted a MEATER +. I’m looking forward to giving it a shot. It seems to connect to Wi-Fi so it should be better than my non Wi-Fi Smoke. The whole set up is certainly a lot simpler with just one probe that does both temps and no base station or receiver or anything to deal with. I guess when I use it I’ll figure out if I’m giving anything up.

Let me know how you like the meater. I have a Smoke and it works great but no Wi-Fi and I like the compactness of the meater. Honestly I always assumed it wouldn’t be as accurate as thermapro or thermoworks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have a MEATER and a Thermopop instant read (the one Meathead recommends) and when I use both they can differ by up to 10 degrees so idk which to trust. The MEATER (idk why autocorrect makes it all caps) also tends to show a lower ambient temp than what my smoker (or oven if I’m using it in there) reads so I may just be sticking it in too deep.

My thermopop is my gold standard, for what it's worth. So, any temp disagreements are granted to the thermopop, in other words. I should just get a thermapen.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MrUnderbridge posted:

I bought a spice grinder for cooking from online. Turned out to be a "spice" grinder. And pretty useless for grinding peppercorns, coriander, etc.

Works great for weed, though.

lol

I was actually very recently thinking of upgrading my mortar & pestle to molcajete.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Discussion Quorum posted:

Making pork butte for the first time. It's around 7.5lbs and I plan to cook it at 250. Advice on the internet is all over the place.

Assuming I want it ready for lunch between noon and 1PM with a rest beforehand, looks like I should start it (meaning, meat on and grill up to temp) around 10PM. Basing that on 90 minutes per pound plus a couple hours in reserve. That seem about right? What if I wrap it in butcher paper?

I'd put it on even earlier because you can and should let it rest wrapped in a cooler. Wrapping in paper or foil at the stall is fine, will definitely get it done faster. Take it out of the smoker around 195-200ish, it's going to continue to cook in the cooler. I never try to plan done times very accurately because my wife is tired of me saying something will be done at a certain time and it's literally 4 more hours to get to temp.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Also pork shoulder is hard to mess up so don't sweat it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe

So I found this article written by a guy I trust for sous vide and it references Meathead for the smoking aspects, so it seems viable at least. I'll try to report back with results.

I mean, Kenji and Meathead are about the best sources you're going to get so yeah.

After reading that article, I'm going to try it myself. Kenji has never steered me wrong.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 8, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

So I'm going to be smoking some brisket for an event that we are having at work (small company - basically 5 people).

Normally this would be really straight forward as I've been smoking briskets for years on my WSM - pretty straight forward stuff (basically Aaron Franklin's way) with standard Costco Prime briskets (PBUC!) and controlled with my Heater Meter.

I'm going to grab a full brisket from Costco per usual but at the same time my (very well meaning, and actually a very good cook, just doesn't have any experience with smoking things) boss also got a (pricy) grass fed flat. This flat has unfortunately had most of the fat trimmed off of it.

How do I cook this without loving it up? I'm definitely worried about it drying out due to the lack of fat and the fact that it's already a flat that would be drier anyway. I do have Butcher BBQ Beef Injection that I sometimes use so that could be an option. Is there anything else I can do? Should I use foil instead of the brown butcher paper that I normally use? Some other sort of rub rather than the standard salt and pepper? I'm also not normally a user of grass fed beef as I find it to often be gamey so I'm worried that even if I get the cook right that the flavor isn't going to be any good.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Maybe wrap earlier than usual with tallow-coated butcher paper or foil instead of paper like you said.

I don't like 100% grass-fed and feel like it's marketing hype. Grass-fed and finished on grain is a-ok though.

Edit - Use fat based binder to apply the rub such as spray duck fat. I always use duck fat now instead of something like mustard because I'm a precious bitch.

FINAL EDIT - I've had some ribs in a sous vide since 4pm yesterday. Going to pull them at 4pm today and put them on the pellet grill for an hour. Very interested to see how these turn out.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 15, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sterster posted:

How did this work out for you? IMO I usually have to do more than 1hr for a nice bark like I'd want. What kind of ribs did you do?

They turned out well! My wife enjoyed them. I ended up going about 2 hours at 225 on the pellet grill. Though, my compromise method of smoking for 2 hours and then finishing all the way wrapped in the oven also works well for a smokey yet tender rib. I'm not sure it's worth the time in the sous vide. But they did work out.

It's important to use something to weigh the bags down - I lost maybe 20% of the water over night.

I did pork - St. Louis

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 17, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
There's a YouTube guy with a channel called Meat Church BBQ that I follow. He just did a smoked meatloaf video, think I'm going to try it maybe tomorrow. Dang I love meatloaf.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Looking at grabbing a smoker after putting it off forever and I'm wondering how I should be wintetizing‽ (live up in Alberta)

Looking at a traeger 575, maybe throwing a welding blanket over it? Reading into the reviews for the dedicated blankets it sounds like they're kind of garbage

I was thinking of buying a green mountain grill for ages, but it seems like the price has shot up a ton in Canada since i was last looking

I can’t help you with winterizing but my dad has a gmg and it’s a solid pellet grill.

I have the Costco Traeger 885 and it’s pretty decent as well. I like having a top shelf and use that 90% of the time, usually with a smoke tube underneath.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Get a Victorinox boning knife. Extremely useful for trimming cuts of meat and not expensive.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Done!

Any recommendations for a sharpening stone or just whatever?

I use sharpening stones for some of my knives but the boning knife I use so rarely I’ve only sharpened it once and just used a mechanical.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For what it's worth - I've done brisket a few times and think it's overrated both when done at home and at a bbq joint. worth doing at least once though.

Brisket burnt ends are godly though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oh I get that my opinion isn't the majority. Perfect brisket just isn't peak bbq to me. Beef plate ribs have that spot in my heart.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Threw a couple of butts on this morning. Really wish Costco had bone-in, but I was feeling too lazy to stop anywhere else.

Speaking of butts, I did a Meat Church method of putting the butt in a foil tray with some chicken broth at the wrapping stage, and then smoking an hour unwrapped at the end. It was the best pulled pork I've made on a pellet grill.

Edit - Here it is. I went with traditional bbq seasoning/rub though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkenVuBMW5o

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Stop opening it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Really no reason to take the probe out until you wrap it, if you're wrapping.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah I’d go put it in now, and then don’t open it until you’re at wrapping temp.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hopefully, you're rendering some of the trimmings for your wrap. I like to use duck fat as well.

Oh never mind, you said you're using foil. Could still put some fat in the bottom if you wanted, though not sure how effective that would be.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Looks pretty edible to me, great job!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kalman posted:

… loving hell, that works? I don’t have to use the stupid claws and nearly stab myself?

It takes like 3 minutes just using two forks…..

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

who gives a poo poo

….the person almost stabbing themselves using claws to shred pork maybe?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah that’s about right. Don’t go by time though - use a thermometer and pull it a few degrees under your target temp. When you sear them, make sure whatever you’re using is hot as hell.

A pellet grill doesn’t get hot enough in my opinion. My Traeger only goes to 500F, for example. Some grills have an open fire pot for direct heat though.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 1, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Smoked ribeyes came out bangin

Looks nice. I like smoking picanha too if you haven't tried that yet.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Those ribs look great

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

was following a guide for a 5lb brisket on the treagger and Im thinking it led me astray.

3 hours this morning at 250 till it hit 165, wrapped, then was expecting another 6 in the foil hit 205. Hit 205 at 2.5 hours though so I pulled it for a rest

what the hell happened here?

That's not super quick for 5lb. I've also read that Traeger/pellet grills tend to cook a little faster than other methods, perhaps due to more precise temperature controls. If it hit your target temp and has the flavor and consistency you want, that's a success.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 19, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I never used to wrap shoulder until I started putting it in a pan with stock and covering it with foil at the stall. Remove the foil for an hour in the end to get some bark back. It's so good.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's better to get it done earlier and keep it warm and wrapped IMO. (opposed to it not being done and/or trying to rush)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh well I got an electric so I don't need the fan right?
But the description made it sound like a fan was required.

It is mainly used by folks with charcoal grills like Weber, Big Green Egg, etc.

Some people do indeed mod their little MSE smokers with fans. This might be useful if you're still using the smoke tray. Those things (the tray) sucked when I tried to use them and stuck with smoke tubes.

But to be clear, fans in a charcoal grill directly control air flow and as such, the temperature. This wouldn't work the same in a MSE. which uses an electric element. It would create convective heat/air flow, which may be desirable.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 12, 2023