Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Dick Nipples posted:

That looks nice. I'd eat it.

I bought a DigiQ before last thanksgiving and that thing has really paid off in consistency. My WSM used to fluctuate in a 50 degree range regardless of the weather being sunny 75 or rainy and 40.

I couldn't reliably leave my smoker for anything longer than a good poo poo or I'd come back and it'd be at 285 instead of 225.

Now I set my poo poo and just read a book or play my Switch.

I am going to be finally getting my WSM out of storage here soon, is the DigiQ the recommended way to go on this cooker? I've got the 22" so she's not exactly cheap to fire up and get going. And living in the PacNW, it's usually cold and raining. Helping even things out and maybe even reducing the amount of fuel needed would be sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
My crew is gearing up for our first whole hog roast this weekend in preparation for the eclipse on Monday. 75lb pig was put on order and we rented a spit of some kind. Going to be making up a gallon of brine to inject here tomorrow or so and we will start cooking either late Saturday night or very early Sunday morning. Plenty of reading to do in between now and the roast so we don't gently caress it all up.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

lifts cats over head posted:

Update: it was approaching 140° so it's now sitting in a 250° oven until closer to dinner. It's weird, everytime I've done brisket I start a little earlier because it almost always inevitably takes longer than I plan.

next time, try pre-heating the cooler with hot water for 30 minutes or so. that'll allow you to hold whatever it is at temp for quite a while longer in my experience.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Well drat, the whole hog roast was a poo poo load of work. Up at 0500 to get her hung up on the spit and secured. Took a little bit to decide on the proper height as well, but once that got figured out she started to cook away. Lots of drinking, adding fuel, picture taking, and toward the home stretch, flare management.

Learned a LOT and if I ever do it again, will feel a lot more comfortable with the whole process. Had a good crew of peeps who really threw down on helping and the 30 - 40 people that came to the party didn't do much talking once we started eating which is always a good sign.

Went through a gallon of brine that I injected the night before, over 126 pounds of charcoal, had tons of different BBQ and hot sauces, an entire table of sides and salads, and I'm not sure how much beer.

Here she is, adding the last bit of fuel about 2 hours or so before she came off the spit:

And pulling back the amazingly delicious skin to start slicing and shredding:

Not something I want to do again super soon, but it wasn't a terrible way to spend a (long rear end) Saturday.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

RisqueBarber posted:

That looks great! How much did everything cost you?

Thanks man! I have no idea to be honest. My buddy bought the pig (78 pounds) and rented the spit, I provided 108 pounds of charcoal (and 9 liters of champagne) and we used another bag or two on top of that. Had everyone threw in on the big costs like the pig or the spit, I think it would have been fairly reasonable.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Glambags posted:

I'm also curious if anyone has smoked fresh pork sausage because I'd like to try that. Internet basically says smoke for no longer than an hour, meat should be 150-160 before coming off. Doneness temperature seems to differ depending on if you grind your own or buy from the meat case.

Try a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage (or a roll of whatever your favorite ground sausage is) and either do a glaze of BBQ sauce or slice/serve on biscuits for breakfast. No lies, pretty delicious and super easy/cheap.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

tater_salad posted:

Shoulder cut, fat on top took it to 193, just didn't induce the mouth orgasm that my past 2 shoulders have caused.

Have you always pulled your shoulders at 193? I like shoulders up above 200 myself but each cut is different.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
are you getting the pretty tall beef ribs? we did some of those recently and they took all god drat day. pretty delicious, though.

going to do a big ol pork shoulder this weekend for week 1 of the NFL. going to get it going Saturday evening and let it cook overnight, drat thing is huge. first shoulder I've done myself in quite a while so looking forward to a long cook! debating on injecting some brine on this one after having good luck with that doing the whole hog. never done it for smaller at home stuff though.

I would eat those ribs.

qutius fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2017

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I'm putting a pretty good sized pork shoulder on around 7pm tonight, should be plenty of time for things to be ready for lunch tomorrow. Having it done early would be a bonus, more time for it to hang out in the cooler and more time for me to get drunk before pulling it!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

tater_salad posted:

Brisket is the worst for timing, it generally takes for friggin ever and a day.

the last brisket I did, a prime packer from Costco, finished so fast it felt like black magic. turned out delicious, at least.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Starting a big boston butt tomorrow (9lb). Try to get up as early as possible, though I'm definitely going to crutch it, and probably cook in the 250-275 range, so I don't expect problems finishing before dinner. Fingers crossed.

mine was 9 pounds as well, got her going about 2 hours ago for an over-night cook. sleeping on the couch next to the thermometer display in case something goes haywire either direction tonight...

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

toplitzin posted:

Y'all ever see a large (10lb) pork butt refuse to stall?
I think it's maybe just poor probe placement.

The last big butt I did, which was around 10 pounds or so didn't stall either. Quickest butt ever, and turned out pretty drat good too!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

bewbies posted:

i'm a little worried about doing a packer brisket as I've only done one and while it was REALLY GODDAMN GOOD my trim job was amateur at best. so, choices are: trimmed choice flats for 6.99/lb, or prime packer for 3.99/lb. any strong opinions on which way I should go?

prime packer, always. leftovers can turn into so many delicious things, plus bbq can freeze well too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Doing my first turkey and a Snake River Farm brisket on Thursday so I appreciate the turkey talk.

Going to do the brisket overnight and get the bird on the smoker come morning once the brisket is done. Gotta love being able to hold a brisket for so long in a cooler if needed.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

McSpankWich posted:

So I'm going to smoke the Turkey for thanksgiving, I did it last year and it ended up a little salty because I brined it, but also used one of those "enhanced" turkeys that are already brined.

I want to add the other flavors of the brine into the turkey so I still want to brine it, would you just half or eliminate the salt from a normal brine recipe?

Why not do a dry rub (with no salt) or a wet rub?

If you look at the package, how much sodium per serving is listed?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I failed on getting photos of the turkey or the brisket, but god drat that smoked gravy was everything. Can't wait to do that again!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

10 Beers posted:

I've got a 7.43 pound pork shoulder going in the smoker on Saturday for dinner. A lot of what I'm seeing g says smoke at 250, about an hour per pound, pull around 180 for slices, 190 for shredding. Does that sound right? Anyone have any other recommendations?

I'd take it to at least 195 if you're looking for pulled pork, or even better, above 200. Start checking around 195 and see how it feels.

If you haven't done this before, start at least a couple hours earlier then you think you need to. Pork shoulder can sit wrapped in foil and covered in towels in a cooler for hours and hours and still be at a perfect temp to serve. Plus, you'll want to let the shoulder rest before serving anyways.

Read the amazing ribs page on pulled pork. That website is a great baseline source of info IMO.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do you have thermometers? A rub you're going to use? You wanna put that on or at least dry brine it 24-48 hours before smoking. Make sure you have plenty of drugs to fully enjoy the process.

this guy smokes

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, concur with above.

1) 40" Will get you 1200 Watt element (I'm fairly sure on that)
2) Window is worthless
3) The range on the MES remote is atrocious. Think like 10 feet or 3 meters range. Edit: Maybe better now, as mine is 5 years old.

Going to pull the trigger on a thermoworks smoke I think because I'm done loving around with the Maverick. When I verify temps the drat thing is off 10 degrees versus my instapen which I trust.

Anyone own both and could compare?

The Smoke blows the Maverick out of the water. So glad I upgraded.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can you give me a couple highlights of the comparison?

My main gripes with the maverick

1) Probes (obviously)
2) Probes
3) Trying to set the high/low limits is not exactly intuitive and I usually have to resort to the manual.
4) For some drat reason the remote never syncs with the base unit unless I manually do it. Not a big deal, but it should work like how designed.

The probes feel like quite the upgrade, I've only done one or two cooks with the new gear, but so far they seem a lot more substantial. Hopefully that leads to a longer lifespan and less fussing around with them.

Seeing high/low limits, turning alarms on/off, and just the general operation is exactly what you'd expect. No need for a drat manual, its easy, intuitive, and can be done at the crack of dawn before you've had your coffee but need to get things rolling on the smoker. Simple.

The pairing/sync is easy, just turn them on within 30 seconds of each other I think it is. The remote is a little quick to alert when it loses sync or communication, which can be both good and bad.

This review/comparison did it for me

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

CoolHandMat posted:

i got an analog electric smoker for christmas - and ive reached the difficult decision of what to smoke first.

what would be easiest but still be awesome?

help goons!

Pork shoulder, always.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bottom Liner posted:

2 hour smoke, 48 hour sous vide, 30 second sear turned this chuck roast into melt in your mouth ribeye. I also chopped up an onion and sauteed it in the juices until it formed a thick reduction. Fuckin' heavenly, best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

Yeah buddy! I need to get in on the smoke/sous vide combo here soon...chuck seems like a good place to start.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

smoking the queso???

whoa

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mikey Purp posted:

Also...not to pile on, but where the gently caress in the world do deliveries not happen due to rain?

That's what I've been wondering!

What are y'all smoking this weekend? I finally made a batch of chicken thighs that turned out really great, took to smoke quite well. There is a place in town that specializes in tomahawk ribeyes so I may go over one of those and do a reverse sear/smoke for a group dinner before a show tomorrow.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hasselblad posted:

Wait, you aren't supposed to light them while they are in your hand?

You do if you're a Real Man.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
The slow and sear is expensive, but I've gotten so much use out of it. Any type of replication turns the standard Weber into a solid smoker, IMO, it is a great method to produce some super tasty results.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Indolent Bastard posted:

By replication do you mean the method I described, or are there knock off Slow n Sear's that I should know about?

I'm not aware of any knock-offs, so the method that you were describing.

sellouts posted:

Smother that prime rib in taco seasoning first

Pour a jar of salsa over it second.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m definitely doing wings on the smoker again. SO GOOD.

Nice job dude, glad you're sticking with it and following up with some pics!

ROJO posted:

Got this bad boy going on the smoker in the morning....

I know EVERYONE says to start an hour or two earlier than planned and you should, but every single one of the prime briskets I've smoked have been done ahead of schedule. So prepare for that too! ;)

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

so I made bbq tortilla soup.

great idea and that looks loving amazing. well done!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

micron posted:

Just Ordered a CampChef Woodwind with the sear box on the right. Hoping to ditch my 25 year old Weber Silver, Weber Kettle, Masterbuilt Electric, and a Old Offset stick burner. Will post review.

That's going to be a nice of an upgrade! I've been eyeing those up too. Looking forward to your thoughts.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Any suggestions on how to smoke country-style pork "ribs"? I know they're not actually ribs, but a buddy grabbed a bunch while he was at the butcher today. Slow and low like a butt/ribs, or something different? Going to be doing wings and baby backs on my WSM, just not sure if that approach is best for this type of cut as well.

Amazing Ribs suggests not cooking them up over 140, other places say do it. I'd welcome any advice.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

atothesquiz posted:

Craigslist: $125

That's a drat fine looking grill. How much work/replacement parts did you have to toss at it after you snagged it?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Works for me! Maybe I'll pull one out when it hits 140ish just to try, we have plenty. Haven't fired up in the smoker in too long so looking forward to Friday :getin:

qutius fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 20, 2018

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Doom Rooster posted:

Those look amazing! What is the white stuff under the ribs? It looks like rice pudding...

Looks like mashed cauliflower to me.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I did a batch of sous vide ribs, one rack with just a dry rub and finished in the oven and the other finished with some smoke and a bit of sauce. They both turned out so god drat good!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've got a chuck roast that's been cooking away at 145 in the sous vide that I'm going to try and turn into some tasty burnt ends on the smoker later today. Hoping for the best! 24 hours at 145 has worked well in the past, and they'll get some time under smoke before dinner as well.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

10 Beers posted:

Anyone do smoked carnitas? I blended up the juice of 2 limes, some Chipotle peppers in Adobe sauce, garlic, onion, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Runner the result all over a pork shoulder and put it in the fridge. The plan is to smoke it for about 9 hours, shred it, then toss it in a Dutch oven in the oven to crisp up. Anything I'm missing?

I had a conversation with a guy last night at the bar about this very topic. Added it to my list to try, it sounds dynamite. If it isn't too hot to run the oven quick, I would crisp it up on a sheet pan under the broiler maybe.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hub Dirt posted:

God drat, I never knew about this thread. How can we do all of this on a Weber 22 and a rusty 18?

I smoke the poo poo out of meats on my 22", it's a champ on long cooks with very little fuss.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've set a meatloaf on a small sheet of parchment paper with decent results.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is the Gateway worth the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Larrymer posted:

Seems only you can decide that. Do you need to see it on your phone vs. the monitor? Are you going to leave your house while you smoke stuff or live in a mansion where the 300 ft range won't be enough?

I am a modestly housed hermit, so no. :v:

True. I do like the idea of getting more data from my probes and the gateway is a way to do that...

So I purchased one. Guess I'll have to share my thoughts when I have some!