Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tehsid posted:

And finally, Kegetys has already modded in custom tracks... without the modding tools! Not just that, the track looks like something out of the old game Stunts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8X2iD2wfM

My god it's like Hard Drivin for the 21st century!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W31SNgplqQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Assetto Corsa, liking it so far.

If you have crossfire and it doesn't seem to be using it wait until the games loads fully and your car is shown spinning around, at that point hit Alt and Enter and it does an odd thing - even though the game is already at full screen it puts it INTO full screen again and crossfire then works.

Also, for any Rift users looking to buy this, yes it does have native support and yes it is broken with no ETA on a fix.
Basically things in your right eye don't get rendered all the time. I have no right arm or steering wheel - it's odd and makes it a crappy experience.

The potential is there no no doubt at all, head tracking works well and it does look amazing apart from the bugs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

An Enormous Boner posted:

The thing about iRacing is that it blows everything else out of the water in terms of multiplayer structuring. It could be a lot shittier to drive and people would still be playing it, even if it was still expensive. They really figured out the "make a racing sim that actually has easy to access racing in it" formula. :haw:

This is my experience as well, even the website based menus work in it's favour - it all adds up to make it feel like 'more' than just a game. It's hard to describe but in iRacing I always felt more like I was popping along to a local racing club than playing a game. The total lack of music, videos, menus all add up to make a completely unique experience I think.

The racing is also brilliant, there is a certain weight about the cars that I haven't felt elsewhere and while the psychics are a little flaky in places the cars feel better to me in that than other racing games / sims.

Best Rift support I have yet seen as well, it is really impressive.

Edit: it took me 4 weeks before I entered a proper race in iRacing and another month or so before I won one. The key is not to rush (I only road race though, oval you may be able to do quicker), learn the track properly and only when you can consistently drive fast laps without coming off should you race.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 28, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

I agree with this right here. It took me almost a year before I really got super into iRacing. I first got it, drove the miata and thought "This is bullshit, this car drives like poo poo. I can't believe I paid money for this." But I stuck with it. At least until I started getting worse and gave up for several months. Then iRacing gave me a deal to resub 3 for 1 and I got back in. I got my SR up and got promoted to D class and tried the new cars. I bought the Skippy and again thought "this is bullshit, why would they make a car like this?" But I stuck with it again. It took me a few months before I felt like I could control the Skip and just did my first race a few weeks ago at the start of the current season. I'm not turning back now.

Totally agree. Even now after a long time my favourite car to race is the Miata. You really do settle into something you like in iRacing and just go with it, I like the slower racing where every corner feels like a puzzle game. You figure out each puzzle and after a while join the dots between the corners - then you have a good lap.

I've always felt that iRacing is as much a puzzler as it is a racing sim. You try a different car / track combo and you get a whole new puzzle to solve.

My top tip for a beginner in a race is to chill on the first corner, like set off leisurely almost. Let the first corner crash happen in front of you (it WILL happen in rookie) and pick your way through it.
Don't be so slow as to be an issue, just be very cautious. After the first half of the lap you'll find that you are now in a race, the people around you at that point are the people you are racing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Double post, but does the 3 month free promo still work here:
https://cadillaccupracing.com/

I never used it myself.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Diplomat posted:

Started 15/16 in a street stock race at Charlotte last night. Was 8th before the first corner and 3rd before lap 2 due to crashes. I ended up in second because an idiot coming out of the pits wrecked the leader. Went from 15th to 2nd without actually racing anybody!

Welcome to iRacing Rookie League!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you can get this kind of racing in any other game.

You really can't and that's one of the main reasons why I still play.

If you sign up to a similar race at a similar time every night you're going to see the same people as well and you get to know where they are fast, slow and when and who is OK to overtake and where etc.

It's a good feeling knowing that Andy Smith is slow in the last section of Laguna Seca and that you can and will pass him if you chill out a bit - and then you do :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

I figured it wouldn't hurt to jump in an open practice so I got the Silverado and Daytona and Talladega, running 'Dega at the moment.

Drafting is really well modeled from what I can see. That makes me happy. Now I just need my wheel so I can get some real seat time in. A gamepad isn't terrible for ovals but I'd be more comfortable with a wheel.

I think I'm addicted already :smith:

If you have a semi decent or above wheel coming you'll be addicted quickly :)
I've got a G25 and it's brilliant, make sure you read a guide on setting up your wheel properly in iRacing, it's a night and day experience between default and well set up wheels.

I could literally only do full laps without coming off at speed after I read and followed a guide on their forums.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I have a G27 in the mail as we speak. Should be here tomorrow sometime. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve all over again.

Last wheel I had was that GT4 Logitech, I think it was a Driving Force Pro or whatever. I'm so amped for a legit shifter and clutch pedal.

You're in for a real treat then as our wheels are basically the same.

The quality of the thing will surprise you probably, it's very nice and the shifter unit is awesome, even the guys who spend $thousands use our shifters in their set ups.

The force feedback is fierce as well, it shocked me at first, nearly broke my wrists ha ha!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah I've been reading a bit about them and they seem to be the cheapest good wheel. Maybe one day I can justify spending a grand on a wheel, but today isn't that day.

I could blow some silly money on these things but honestly I haven't ever felt the need, it's a really sweet wheel. The nice thing about it as well is the compatibility - you can throw it at Grid, Dirt, F1, whatever and they all support it. So much so that the high end wheels use Logitech mode to work well in some cases.

If you have a smartphone get Dash Meter Pro (or similar, I like this one) and you are ready to rock :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGdVjFOnLg

It becomes useful in open wheelers where there are no dials, good for helping judge revs etc.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ahhhh, ha ha, I've let my sub slip in iRacing, I'll sort that this week.
Do we have any goon racing in it?

Viking, bear in mind that you need to have the relevant licenses to race some of the cars and tracks you'll be buying, I'm sure you already know, but if not do keep that in mind.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ahhh, yeah same here, but easier to get in and drive though I guess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I'm just messing around in open lobbies anyway until I get my wheel.

Best way...
Just remember that your Safety Rating is what you want to be preserving for now. You lose points for crashes and other things. To get out of rookie you need a good safety rating at the end of the season.

As they say, the point of Rookie League is getting out of Rookie League and the way to do that is drive well and safely, then you'll get promoted and be with other people who have done the same thing. That's when the really cool races begin and the turn one wrecks calm down.

Don't get hung up on it, just beware of it - safety rating is important.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wallrod posted:

I love this, almost too much. This is the kind of poo poo i actually imagined tablets/smartphones to be good for.

It's great, it connects to my PC using the wifi in my house. The only thing I'm finding is cool little toys like that are pointless if you are racing using the Oculus Rift :(

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wallrod posted:

When some clever chap makes it so that i can strap two smartphones to my face i won't need this oculus nonsense, but i remain envious.

It's cool but mainly I play without it, it's a big old commitment playing with the Rift on and I can't always be arsed, it's nice sometimes to veg out and chill while racing, so I get to use stuff like Dash Meter then. There are crazy versions for tablets as well with touch screen controls for various things but I don't go that far with it all ha ha.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yup, exactly that, that's how you deal with people in iRacing.

Also, if they are right up your rear end going into a corner, let them pass and keep your line, keep your head, 9 times out of 10 they will slightly overshoot the corner and you re pass them straight away.

Last corner on Laguna Seca is a classic for this, let them pass, you'll be taking the right line and they won't, then the straight to the next corner destroys them.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 1, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

gently caress. Yes.
"Fixed broken right side on OculusVR"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nerdrock posted:

If you're patient : find a deal on a G25/G27.

if you're impatient : Driving Force GT.

Perfect advice, just my view as well.
I've got a g25 and it rocks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They did something to the lighting, it's bright white on the tracks in the Rift to the point where you can't see anything.
Still, on the plus side this made me discover the time of day settings for driving and 18.00 is drop dead gorgeous with the low light and long shadows.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
No idea, there are none in at the moment. If you have the driving line on the idea is brake when it's red, but this is very hit and miss at the moment.

In sims you are supposed to eventually pick up on your environment for braking cues, for example in iRacing I know that going into the corkscrew turn at Laguna Seca I need to be in third and go in tight left and as a tree lines up with my rear view mirror I need to be doing about 55mph then turn hard right then floor it, that kind of thing.

It does work but it depends on being really familiar with the tracks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah you get a feel of a track and know when to brake by the time you are racing well, agreed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah my desk is about that thickness and it fits well.
When you get it you may find that it doesn't fit, don't worry - there are two black plastic blocks pre attached to the fitment mechanism for people with thin desks, kind of like cube shaped. They pop off after a bit of wiggling.
That threw me at first!

Edit: Also the pedals are great (you only get better by paying much much more) but if you don't like them there are plenty of mods you can do, like the Load Cell Brake mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zMCdqjyZU

Try it for a week or so first though, I settled into them and love them. They have a kick rear end mechanism underneath them for gripping onto your carpet as well.

It rotates so you can have it in or out depending on surface, you can see it here:
http://rwlabs.com/images/articles/logitech/g27/logitech_g27_035.JPG

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 8, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tehsid posted:

G25 / G27 is you your cheapest entry into "diving stick" I believe. But if you're not that keen on sims, its kind of a waste.

Exactly this.
You've got your bargain end of the scale which can be very hit and miss, the products come and go in this range all the time.
Then you have the high end stuff which can be amazing but I'd only recommend that if you really really get into racing.

Then there is the middle ground - the place you want to be in my opinion - where the Logitech G25 and G27 have sat unchanged for years.
They are brilliant I think. The main difference between the G27 and G27 is that the 27 has more buttons on the wheel which is nice but the 25 has both a H shifter and sequential shifter in one whereas the 27 has no sequential setting.
You won't miss that probably as that is taken care of using the paddle shift (which both wheels have).
They also tweaked the design of the 27s cogs so it feels a bit smoother in operation.

Both these wheels plug right into a PC or PS3 no problem, I think they work on PS4 too.

Logitech also do the Driving Force which is a great thing. That sits inbetween the budget wheels and the G25 / G27s - Loads on Ebay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/logitech-driving-force-gt-wheel

That would get you going, but if you can spend the extra get a G25 or 27.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
http://unews.utah.edu/wp-content/uploads/snowplow_image.jpg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What is the PGS forum?
Edit: Private Games, sorry, got it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The odd thing for the MX5 for me was that at anything below 50mph the grip just dissapears and you're on an ice rink.
Seriously, getting out of the pits at Laguna is almost impossible for me, I spin at the slow corner everytime (well not every, but can feel that way!).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah it feels great when racing, but oh god low speeds are terrible.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doesn't need a racer driver to know that even lovely street tires have more than enough grip to handle the wide-ish corners of a race track at 50mph.

Yeah agreed, it feels almost as if the sim is expecting you to go fast and when you don't it just can't handle it for some reason.
The MX5 in particular feels like it pivots from the center of the car at very low speeds, it's very odd.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oh god, heaven, it has arrived in my life...

http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/4364/AC_UP42013C-8.jpg

Gonna blast around tonight.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CaseFace McGee posted:

To me, it feels slow as hell in the corners with the stock tires. It still looks quick in the replay, though. Modern street tires feel better, but I haven't tried the semi-slicks yet.

Thanks for the tip :)
I can't play for another hour or so, it's killing me, this was my poster car in my childhood. F40 + Rift = good times!

Yeah, do we have a steam group for racing or anything? That might be a giggle.

Edit: Holy poo poo the turbo whine on the Stage 3 F40 :allears:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 21, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll confirm that the shifter at desk height is fine, I use the G27 / G25 shifter there and it's sweet (On the G27 there is an odd circle on the shifter with the logitech logo on it, on the G25 shifter that is the switch to choose either H shift or sequential, see these images: G27 - http://rwlabs.com/images/articles/logitech/g27/logitech_g27_021.JPG G25 - http://www.finish-line.net/images/hardware/logitech_g25_shifter.jpg ). It's why I got a G25.
Gonna get in on the Steam group :)

Edit: The difference between the G27 and G25 shifter is that the G25 does both H shift and proper sequential, for some reason they removed that for the G27.
Also yes you can pull the pedal units apart and put foam blocks in there to create more resistance, it's really easy to do and there are loads of guides on Google.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 22, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drunk Badger posted:

I'll buy Race 07 with the nice deal, what's the opinion on the DLC?

And I assume it plays nicely with the G27?

I got it but I really didn't like it, am I missing something here? Is there a specific DLC that everyone likes?

Joined the Steam group as Jim :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drunk Badger posted:

As punishment for your questionable decisions, find a good picture to use for the group.

I'm sure it's just me not playing the right expansion or something?

Anyhoots, I think this pic sums us up:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1254759!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alfa-romeo-1.jpg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cool I have all those Race 07 expansions, I'm gonna try SCTT, it turns out I have SCTT 2 as well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

I'm usually a loving master at Google-fu for this type of stuff, but the only mods I keep finding are forum posts about dual springs, the Nixim mod (new spring and what looks like a rubber block), and then a bunch of crazy rear end load cell mods that break $100. Do you happen to have a link to a foam brake mod that you recommend?

I don't have any personal recommendations as it is only something I looked into rather then ever did myself. I find the pedals fine for me.
You basically want to open this part up:

Then you have free reign to try various blocks of foam or load cells in there.

There are also variations on this which I have heard work well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsSXOZJXEJ0

Apart from those you'll be spending the kind of money you mentioned, I guess it comes down to how confident you are DIYing, but like I say, I like mine as it is, sorry I can't offer first hand knowledge.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

Yeah, I found that video. I think the first plan of action is to see if I like them out of the box to start with, of course. The pedals are a big upgrade over what comes with the Formula Force setup... so I might be just fine with default spring action. The little bit of AC I played with my old setup left me thinking that breaking is way too linear, however... and I lost control just about every turn. Of course, I also suck right now... so it might not just be the pedals!

But I think if I try to mod them, I'm going to look for the double spring shown in that vid. That seems pretty easy to pull off in a way that shouldn't muck up the innards.

The pedals you get with the G25 / 27 are really pretty good, they are leaps and bounds above the more budget stuff out there. Give them a go for a bit :)

I've never felt the urge to do the mods and the brake pedal is harder to push down already than the accelerator so it does give a bit of realism out of the box there.

EvilJoven - I love a good racing game but I suck pretty hard at them! I've also never played Race 07 so you'll probably whip my rear end anyway.

Just tried Race 07 in the Rift and it works really well, nice!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 22, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah you'd kick my rear end ha ha

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I thought it was a great job from what I have seen so far in the Rift, I mean, this was out 6 years ago!
The F40 in Asseto Corsa is amazing inside, they have even modelled the very 90's padded vinyl headlining well :allears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sethsez posted:

Honestly I like how Race 07 looks in the Rift with Tridef more than Assetto Corsa. My big issue with AC's Rift support is that it doesn't have any IPD adjustments, so for me everything looks extremely small with an exaggerated sense of depth. The 3D seems to be working right and the tracking seems solid, so there's a good foundation there, but as it is I can't actually play with it yet.

Agreed actually, I think it's testament to how far TriDef has come on more than anything. It's really fully featured now and even has a calibration tool built into the Head Tracking menu.
If you push your mouse to the right of the screen in AC you get a load of menu options and I found that playing with the seat position and FOV in there made the game perfect in every way, try it if you haven't already.
I basically copied the view that iRacing gives me and it works so so well.

Edit: Jehde - The Dirt series is a huge game for me, I love it, I know this is the sim thread but wanted to let you know I reckon there are plenty of people like me in the group who want a quick arcadey fix sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Falken posted:

AC desperately needs some old Porsches. 944S2, 930 and 993.

I'm really not trying to be rude but do you have an old Porsche or something? I see you pop up in all kinds of threads to mention old Porsches!
If so, can you post a pic, I adore old 944s :allears:

I used to have a BMW 635 CSI, that's the nearest I have come to owning a Porsche, was a great car that and I always get goosebumps when I see one in a game.

• Locked thread