Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
oddly enough most of the time i see a smart car, it's on the freeway. And yes, I do chuckle to myself every time. Sometimes I even point and laugh.

What the gently caress are those people thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Only Amsoil makes brake fluid conductive enough for my EV!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

You mean with no turning of the wheels in front? That'd worsen tire wear quite a bit.

Do you mean having individual pedals for left and right wheels for the driver to operate? I think it's possible, but not a great idea. You'd have to have significant DBW smoothing of inputs to keep the car from slithering all over the road as inputs were slightly mismatched.

If the computer did the adjustment of torque to the various wheels for you though it could make a pretty awesome all-wheel-drive system. It'd be sort of like having an LSD front, back and center but it'd be infinitely variable and maybe even reprogrammable? That would be kickass.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
drat, I got beaten to the smartphone comparison. But it's completely right; it's a tradeoff that, 8 years ago, nobody would believe that they'd be willing to make. "Charge my phone two or three times a day? Ridiculous, why should I be bothered to do that?"

Turns out being able to play angry birds and browse facebook while taking a poo poo are good enough reasons. Once people warm to the fact that they can do all their errands in comfort without having to fill their car with loving ancient hydrocarbons pumped out of the ground, they'll be completely ok with having to kick it for 45 minutes at a charging station.

Maybe they can even play some angry birds and browse facebook on the can while they wait.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will absolutely agree with the idea that 120 miles of range should be more than enough for a majority of drivers a majority of the time. However, the Leaf's official rated range is only 73 miles per the EPA - not even 2/3 of that. The worst-case scenario for a new Leaf can result in as little as ~60 miles of range (winter, stop and go, heater on) and that's before you even account for battery degradation... which would leave me rolling home with <10mi of range every night without running a single errand.

120 miles of range, however, gives me headroom for both any number of errands as well as blasting the A/C as needed and still coming home with plenty of battery to spare, even after the battery degrades. Which brings up another point - if you come home with that battery near-zero every day, you're wearing it out far more than if you were able to get everything done in half the charge.

Yeah, this is why the tesla sedan is the first EV that really "does it" for me - of course I'll never be able to afford it, but its existence means that probably in 15-20 years there will be much cheaper electric cars with a 250+ mi range.

And if I was some high-falutin business type I would totally own one to commute in.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The only downside is that traditional dealers will get bypassed. I posted something about this happening in our state on facebook last month, and this guy that I grew up with (who is super libertarian) starting spouting off about how Tesla is trying to "break the law" by selling direct to the consumer. The dude's dad owns a dealership and he couldn't understand that if you come up with a better business model, that's a good thing, and that the dealers basically just legislated themselves a spot in the marketplace to begin with.

Good riddance, I say.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

sincx posted:

Good. My hatred for taxis is only matched by my equal hatred for pink car-mustaches.

Took me a few months to realize that the pink mustache thing is actually a calling card for Uber and not just some random thing dumbasses were doing because it literally makes me fly into a rage. Goddamn you look like a loving idiot driving a car with one of those.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's Alaska. They are glacier fed lakes that drain directly to the ocean. They only remove water in the amount that has precipitated in the last year, leaving the average level the same.

Look closer to the ocean, the lakes we're talking about are in mountain valleys and look like rivers if you're not used to that kind of landscape.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 27, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I wonder how many clicks and pageviews you could get by running a "Experts reveal that millions of cars on the road today contain hidden canisters of highly explosive volatile compounds!" headline.

Goddamn journalism sucks in the 21st century.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_cRqcbXAs4

Extremely cool electric racecar. This technology in its current state makes me very hopeful about the future of consumer level technology. But we NEED better battery tech right now, or this industry will stagnate. I am confident we will find a solution but I don't know how.

Though Chris Harris ends the video with a bit of an odd rant about automotive noise. The lack thereof in his electric car future 'worries him'. Tripe about engineering better sound from electric vehicles.

I couldn't care less about sound. This is the coolest loving racecar I have ever seen.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Transmission? Who said anything about a transmission?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There's a decent number of people who spend their days driving around, too, who could definitely benefit from an EV but can't say for certain what their milage will be on a given day so it's tough to make the switch right now. See, my commute to work is usually just to our central lab which is only 5 miles (I usually bike it actually.) But if I end up having to go out to the field station on a moment's notice, that's another 80 miles round trip. And maybe I want to go skiing after work, or go hit the mountain bike trail in the morning before I head to the lab. Suddenly I'm looking at 150+ miles a day, and I don't want to give up that freedom (or buy a tesla because I'm not made of money.)

When the average EV can accommodate my needs, it will be grand indeed, but I feel that is still 5-10 years away.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I would feel obligated to take a four wheeler out for a sweet round the neighborhood drift fest after taking care of the driveway if I had a four wheeler with a plow.

You know, just to make sure the engine gets up to operating temp, officer.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Why does everybody always have to try to piss in other people's Cheerios? No, I am not displacing anybody to coal or natural gas. Our 100% hydro generation is not connected to the national grid(s) and we even have enough excess water available that there is talk of building more plants and connecting our grid to sell the hydropower outside (to Canada, mostly). So shut the goddamn hell up.

That's also besides the fact that, nationally, the majority of new capacity this year was renewable.

You also completely missed where I pointed out that I'm using less electricity now than a year ago because the car takes less energy than our incandescent lights did, thus displacing my own new consumption.

I don't think you understand, mister - random internet strangers always know better than you, especially when it comes to how your remote local municipality generates its power. :colbert:

I think it's pretty amazing that there's people (you said others in your area are running leafs, too?) driving EVs in loving Alaska of all places. It says a lot about the feasibility of electric cars.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

My "someday when I'm rich" plan includes getting a Tesla. I don't normally get excited about cars but :drat:

The future is loving awesome and I can't wait until these things are affordable, because I have to imagine in a few decades they will be highly competitive with normal cars.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I've been feeling the same way and reading that just pretty much solidified it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
EVs will help the grid because they will provide a buffer for the fluctuating load on the mains.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Honestly I give zero fucks. Once I can afford an electric car that goes 250 miles on a charge, I will buy one. I don't give a flying gently caress about any other options or the price once it hits the magical price point of "something I can afford."

Most of my friends are in the same boat.

I will remind you that regardless of delays this dude is the same guy that has built rockets that can reliably resupply the ISS. I trust that he will eventually do what he says he has set out to do.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Problem:
They only get built and maintained via massive subsidy, and you may have heard, those are getting harder to come by for various political reasons. Also, even for companies that can work the economics, there's the "not in my backyard" mentality.

I'm pretty convinced this is going to be a non-issue in the future. We need electricity and at some point people will realize we need to generate it using means other than burning fossil fuels. Nuclear is the only way forward for a lot of the world (supplemented by hydro, wind and solar of course.)

The nimby folks will change their tune pretty quick when they don't have AC in the summer or heat in the winter due to energy shortages.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Don't k ow why you'd want a stick. There's no slushy tc in the drive line and regen approximates engine braking. Those two should eliminate most causes of auto hate.

And most have a 1 speed transmission to add a reverse gear, not straight direct drive.

Why wouldn't you just reverse the electric motor? Isn't that a helluva lot simpler than having a transmission?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I would think that, given the choice of a) making an EV just reverse the electric motor itself, which probably requires no additional parts and b) using an actual reverse gear (with all the added moving parts that brings) the solution is obvious. I'm not sure that it would be possible to "damage" an electric motor by reversing it while its still moving forward, since it's just making a magnetic field do the work.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I'm aware of the Model 3 of course, but I distinctly remember Model X being talked about as supposedly being somewhat more affordable than the S back before the 3 was announced. Or maybe not. Whatever.

The model X was always going to be more expensive than the S, because from day 1 it's been an S in crossover form. They've been talking about the cheap model 3 for a long time though, before they even mentioned the X...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Of course the usual bevy of atrocious junk food and experimental energy drinks would be available as well, but retooling minimarts to go from "buy things get out gently caress you" to a comfortable waypoint would probably be a net good.

Yeah I'll welcome this with open arms. Chill out, check email and FB for 20 min (instead of trying to text and poo poo while on the road), use the bathroom, maybe get a coffee and then head back out. Sounds relaxing. You could even catch a catnap if you wanted.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

blugu64 posted:

series hybrid f150 ah yup

Would be so rad. Electric drivetrain so 4wd is a breeze to implement without pesky driveshafts, max torque from a standstill.

Bonus if using a diesel generator allows smoke tune bros to enjoy hybrid tech at last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Suqit posted:

I did a pro forma a year or so back for my boss showing how much cheaper a tesla would be than my fully loaded 4x4 suburban over 5 years. He laughed and told me he'd never buy anything that gets better than 20 mpg.

He bought me a 4x4 Yukon XL.

See why do folks go for the loving gm trucks every time? Couldn't he get you like a nice 4runner or something? gently caress I don't get Americans and I've been one my whole life. Such retarded purchasing decisions. I get the hoorah let's burn gas because I'm a dumbass and a pussy who needs a big motor to make me feel like I matter but a Yukon? Jesus Christ people are dumb.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 27, 2015

• Locked thread