Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I read the OP but saw no mention of the XOOM in it...realistically how much longer will Google support the XOOM with updates and poo poo like that? I'm looking for an android tablet but rather not spend 5/600, and I figure since the XOOM is kinda googles "nexus" tablet it would probably be the safe bet at a 3/400 dollar price point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Basically I'm asking what tablet I should get for 3-400 bucks. The bigger then better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've had mine for a week and a half and I like it alot. Only complaint I have is that 720p playback can be a bit choppy sometimes and it is a tad heavy, but for $349 I have no buyer's remorse.

Replying on it via the Awful app as a matter of fact :haw:

May I ask where you got it for $350?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Looking around, I think im just gonna pick up a XOOM on ebay. The going rate for a nice one on there seems to be ~320-350 and honestly I think that's totally reasonable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

E2M2 posted:

I'm sure you could get a Transformer or Iconia for around that used too.

Transformer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004U78J1G/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1329201043&sr=8-1&condition=used

I really like Motorolas build quality on their products though. I've really only heard good things about the Xooms build quality also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Uh yeah iOS 5 runs fine on the 3gs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GreatKesh posted:

I've noticed that ios doesn't remove apps it's killed from the recently used list though.

Neither does android.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Don Lapre posted:

Couple people have seriously attached heatsinks and solved their problems.

That's just loving terrible. Do people seriously think that is acceptable or something?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not really. It's not a very good font.

Says one guy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

I really hope Samsung isn't banking on the lackluster tablets they've shown so far this year competing with the iPad on any level. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of people itching to get their paws on a thicker heavier version of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1....wait.

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

golgo13sf posted:

This won't happen as long as people consider the iPad overpriced.

I don't think most people think they are, though. People will happily pay $100-200 more because they know it's not some fly-by-night tablet.

I mean really, you think people actually want to buy a tablet made by Acer (for example)? Sure people on forums like these might, but as you can see from Android tablet sales that really doesn't mean poo poo.

I guess basically what I'm trying to say is Android Tablets need a big item/event like Android phones needed the OG Moto Droid.

Don Lapre posted:

The problem with android tablets and price isn't the quality. Its simply that they arn't ipads. People go to the store and they can either afford an ipad, or they can afford something else.

The perception that Android tablets are cheap is certainly out there though. Android phones had the same problem until Moto/google stepped up with the OG Droid.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 1, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GreatKesh posted:

Android needs to stop stuttering. My iPod touch 3 doesn't stutter on ios 5, but my transformer stuttered for the day I had it, my mums sg2 stutters too.

I'll see if ics makes it better when I get my tablet back this afternoon but honestly it's a big turn off.

It's funny because every time this comes up in the Android phone thread it causes a huge uproar, but it's true. Why the gently caress did my iPhone 2G back in 2009 run smoother than my friends Galaxy Nexus? :psyduck:

At least the phones are finally getting to the point where they're smooth most of the time, but drat Android Tablets are one choppy experience a lot of the time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Didn't :google: give away the OG Droid to developers? They were even doing it after they launched the Nexus one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastCaress posted:

The space key on my transformer prime is already bent and a little broken, is there a way to buy replacement keys?

Have you tried eBay?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CycleGeek posted:

Agreed. $599 for the new Transformer Infinity is way too much, particularly given the horror that many people experienced with the Prime. I'm honestly surprised at how little urgency to reduce price there is among Android tablet manufacturers.

I don't think they're making enough money on them to do this without absolutely murdering their bottom-line.

I mean lets face it, Android tablet sales aren't exactly lighting the world on fire...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Motorola themselves has said the Wifi XOOM will see ICS so...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
ICS is still coming to wifi and 3G xooms though...I don't get what all the fuss is about?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vagrancy posted:

The Wifi Xoom got 4.0.3 in January, so it's only really about the 3G/LTE model.

And Moto said they would get ICS also...so why are people freaking out again?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

If you can scrape a few more bucks together, $276 for a Refurb Gtab 10.1 16GB is a pretty good deal..

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/71120/newegg-10-samsung-16gb-wifi-galaxy-tablet-refurbished?token=AAIBBQAAAAAEPD5d2A

Will it get ICS though?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Duckman2008 posted:

ICS is just terrible for it, the hardware can't handle it. I got rid of mine for those reasons.

It can absolutely handle ICS, they just did a really poo poo job porting it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Henry Meowlins posted:

If your choice is between buying your mom something that is the same price as an iPad, just get the iPad. It has more apps, more functionality, and Apple has the absolute best customer service that you're going to come across. If she ever has a problem, either her or you can call apple and it will get rectified quickly.

Treat your moms well.

Basically this. Don't be an rear end in a top hat to your mom. Get her an iPad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

clockworx posted:

Don't iPhones come with no carrier poo poo automatically installed? How does Apple dictate that?

(Not getting into iOS/Android, just that it seems possible to do)

Basically because they are apple. They're big enough to shove carriers around somewhat.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

right arm posted:

Also, the look on people's faces when you rip your Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet in half is priceless. "Is that an iPad??" they ask, and I answer, "this, my darling is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults. This, darling, is The Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

"So it's not an iPad?" :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I was going to blow my money on the Tab 7 2.0, but now that this news came out...I think I'll wait. I've never owned a Nexus device before so that would be kind of cool and if it's the same price point or cheaper and the hardware isn't made like complete poo poo it'll be a no brainer.

Unless it's hosed like the Verizon Nexus is hosed :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

revolther posted:

It's because this thread is nothing but trolls clamoring over the next new toy rather than find a purpose for the one in their hand. It's scoffing at the 5megapixel rear facing camera you will never use because somewhere there is an 8megapixel rear facing camera also never being used. Most of them have no needs other than Netflix and Facebook, it's just about a shiny precious to Gollum over until they notice the next guy's precious.

This thread is creeps with urinal envy; just play with your own dick and stop perpetually worrying about what the next guy is packing.

You see upset.

Also I use my phones camera a lot. I would probably use my tablets a lot also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kazy posted:

Why is no one questioning why this has the speaker hole of a phone?

This looks exactly like a Galaxy Note with the "SAMSUNG" photoshopped out.

Actually, people already questioned it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Merkinman posted:

All the more reason to have your stuff in *~the cloud~*

Until carriers gently caress you over with tiered data plans.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Never had a problem with both FedEx and UPS. Guess not everyone who works there is lovely after all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
My Nexus 7 ran out of battery so I plugged it in. It won't turn on now, and when it does it starts up and than turns itself off. What the gently caress? I literally got this thing 3 days ago. Thanks Google/Asus!

E: I plugged it in and it just keeps power cycling.

E2: Oh yeah, this thing is hosed up. Now in addition to power cycling, the screen went all crazy CRT static on me. My girlfriend got this for me through Staples.com, so hopefully we can just go into a store and exchange it.

And people wonder why Android tablets have a bad name.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 17, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way to make the volume on my nexus 7 louder than the default max when wearing headphones? Volume ++ still doesn't work on jellybean right?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

thorsilver posted:

So the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is on fire-sale in the UK at the moment, with major vendors offering big discounts combined with a cashback offer from Samsung.

Do these things have any redeeming qualities if I can get one for mega-cheap, or would I just be better off with a Nexus 7? Do they work well with custom ROMs, etc.?

Just get a Nexus 7.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Duke Jeffrie posted:

After exchanging my Nexus 7, I'm only getting about 5 hours screen-on time, often less. Before I was getting a minimum of 6 hours, usually more. However, I didn't spend much time with 4.2 before sending my first tablet back to Asus, so I didn't have a chance to notice any change in battery life. I updated my replacement device to 4.2 as soon as I received it.

Is this reduced battery life likely just due to 4.2, or should I be investigating further?

4.2 stuff seems to be up in the air. I personally haven't noticed any real difference in battery life between 4.1 and 4.2, but others have.

I have noticed that 4.2 does not seem to run as smooth as 4.1 on my Nexus 7 though. Kind of bummed about that, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. Hopefully they'll patch it up again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is 4.2 really that bad for everyone on the Nexus 7? I got it with 4.2 preloaded and I don't see much to complain about, but I guess I could be missing out on some kind of amazing experience?

It's not terrible or anything like that. Just seems a little more sluggish and unstable.

Having said that, my nexus 7 has been up for almost 250 hours now so again its nothing serious.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So, what's good for news apps? I'd like something that aggregates blogs and conventional news sources, in some nice pretty format that somehow lets me read whatever I want to. I guess I'm not sure what the ideal would be, but Currents isn't really doing it for me. What are you folks using for newsreading?

I use pulse for my news reading. Just plug the rss feeds into it, and it works great :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pablo Gigante posted:

Just got a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I'm super stoked for it. Only used it for about 20 minutes but its super smooth (came with 4.1), just as smooth an experience as my iPhone. Way better than my old Droid X. I know Google had the whole Butter thing to make the experience smoother, but how far has Android come besides that?

Very far. I used to bitch about androids lack of polish and lovely performance enough on these forums that mods started to tell me to shut the gently caress up whenever I did.

ICS came out and fixed a majority of that, and jellybean only made things better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Some anecdotal evidence, but both mine and my girlfriends aunts Portenzo cases fell apart after ~ 6 months of use. Magnets started popping out, and the wood that lined the sides and held the tablet in place chipped and broke off to the point where the case was basically useless :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Daimo posted:

Was it an Alano? If so my whole motivation for getting a 7/'13 just disintegrated. Was it in good condition when it arrived?

Mine was the Alano, and hers was the Composition notebook style. They both fell apart in the same exact ways, right around the same time. I was extremely disappointed.

Yes, they were in excellent condition when they arrived. I would say it lasted fine for ~ 3 months, and then rapidly began to fail. I gave up on it around the end of May as the wooden sides fell apart. (I got it as a Christmas present from my girlfriend).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anyone wanna recommend a Bluetooth-keyboard case thingy for my 2012 Nexus 7?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I'm sure this pops up semi-often in this thread, but I've searched the last few pages and didn't find it, so:

Anyone wanna recommend a Bluetooth keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cojawfee posted:

I was using this keyboard until recently when I just started using my tablet as a tablet. It works well. The only downside is that the browser button on the keyboard seems to be hardwired to launch the browser.apk instead of just making a general system call for the default browser. It opens Browser on my GNex, does nothing on my N7. Other than that, it's a great keyboard. Also there's two menu buttons. One is the old style three lines one, and another one with four squares. I don't know what those buttons do on the motorola tablet, but it just brings up the three dots menu in apps. It was made before the app switcher, so there's no button for that either. I tried to find some way to change what the buttons do, but didn't get very far as I couldn't find these specific buttons in the keyboard file.

In retrospect, I'd probably try to find another keyboard that's android specific but more recent to include an app switcher button.

Yeah this is for my gf who just got a Galaxy Tab pro 10.1, so I'm trying to let this be as seemless as possible. Samsung makes a keyboard, but it's $80 and I'm sure goons have a much better choice...

...if not, looks like I'd just have to get the samsung one.