Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Update: ASUS GPS Dongle for Transformer Prime

I just received a call from ASUS saying that they have received my application to get a GPS dongle to make up for the poor GPS issues on the ASUS Transformer Prime Tablet. They said that the program does not actually start until April 16, but it will take about three weeks after April 16th for them to be received by customers.

So....their customer service is improving. 3 weeks instead of not acknowledging is a step forward, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Secret Sweater posted:

Transformer 1/android in general anecdote for anyone that cares:

So I finally got fed up with my Transformer random rebooting as a daily occurance and the Netflix app being completely unusable after several resets/wipes/reinstalls etc. So I decided to look in to CM9 and any other ROMs that would work properly.

From what I understand, you can either install a ROM from bootloader via .zip OR flash it from your computer (NVFlash?). In order to do it from the bootloader, you have to be rooted and install a couple apps to accomplish what you want, NVFlash does not require root.

I looked into Cyanogenmod 9 since that seems to be the most popular and a friend suggested it. After a couple hours of downloading this and that and getting everything set up, I installed Cyanogenmod only to find that it would boot eternally and never load. Once you bork your OS you are forced to flash from a computer since your tablet is hosed. At this point I discovered there are zero flashable stock ICS installs, so I was forced to install an old honeycomb version and OTA to ICS before attempting a different CM9 build because pretty much any of the tools needed to do what I was trying were no longer available/working for honeycomb. So I repeated this process for 3 CM9 builds which would all permanently bootloop after following install instructions to T at which point I started looking at CM9 based ROMs. The first one I tried installed worked, but it was immediately apparent that the internet was not working properly. Lo and behold right in the known bugs on the ROMs OP was 'wifi issues'.

So basically at this point the official, un-rooted version of the OS doesn't work in an acceptible fashion, and the ROMs that I can find that could potentially work either bootloop when installed properly or have glaring issues that make them completely worthless to anyone that desires an internet connection on their tablet (crazy, right?) I love android, but I've pretty much had it with the hardware at this point. I'll be buying an iPhone when my android phone contract is up in 2 months (even if it means waiting for the 5) and I won't be buying another Android tablet again despite having already invested into the android app side of the hemisphere.

I hear ya dude, this is why I ditched my Transformer. I'm still content with Android phones (but try to stick with stock nexus phones), but for now I'm staying with my iPad 2. I'm waiting to see what Windows 8 brings, maybe Microsoft can do what Android hasn't been able to. Maybe.

Crackbone posted:

I guess Asus sort of did with the Transformer (although even the keyboard dock is a gimmick albeit one that you buy seperately), but fell down on build quality with the Prime.

That all being said, if there is one thing I feel Asus got right, it was the keyboard dock. Worked great for me, easy to dock and undock, boosted the battery by almost double, and had a great keypad. The trackpad was unnecessary but worked surprisingly well regardless, all things considering. So yeah, I'm all for that setup, just not all for the bugs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poopelyse posted:

Woot has the HP Touchpad 32GB for $250 today but looking at the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for the same price, I'm not sure which one is a better choice.

The touchpad at $250 is not that great of a deal, even for the 32.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ltugo posted:

Back when I was in college in the early 90's, I had a friend who drove a Chevy Cavalier. He used to describe it as the "I don't need that" car. Anti-lock brakes? "I don't need that." Take off $500. Airbags? CD Player? Power windows? "I don't need those." Take off more money. What you get left with is a basic, but functional car that's dirt cheap and still lets you drive to work.

That's the impression I got when I bought a new Polaroid 701i. It's a $99 7-inch tablet you can get at Big Lots. For one Benjamin you get ICS, 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb storage, a microSD slot, Wi-Fi, and that's about it. No Bluetooth, no camera, no GPS. It's also pre-rooted. So far, the responsiveness has been nice considering the price. When I get it home and get it on Wi-Fi I'll put it through it's paces and report back.

This will end badly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Why do you care about customizing the home screen more than changing the wallpaper and putting your shortcuts where you want them?

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.

I will say,one of the few things I miss on my iPad is widgets and multitasking. Android in my opinion just does them better. Every time I open my IM app it has to reload the new conversations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

I want to get a tablet for my wife for her birthday. Xoom on woot for 300bux. Good deal? Anyone got experience with this tablet? FYI: One on woot is refurb.

One of the better android tablets to get, but $300 now a days seems a bit much for the Xoom. You have better android tablets on the horizon for the same price point. If you look you should be able to find an iPad 2 for that price point as well, so just weigh which operating system she wants.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

right arm posted:

Also, the look on people's faces when you rip your Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet in half is priceless. "Is that an iPad??" they ask, and I answer, "this, my darling is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults. This, darling, is The Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

My friends didn't get past the lagging OS part...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Honestly, I'd just wait until the TF101 comes down to $200 (which should be very soon). The TF300 is definitely nice, but it's not 50-80% nicer, *unless* you play lots of super high res video and output it over HDMI - in that case, get the TF300.

Seriously, the original Transformer at any price is just such a bad idea now. Blame tegra 2, blame Asus, blame whomever, the tablet runs like poo poo. I tried the Prime recently and its a night and day difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

What's the trouble? I use mine at work constantly. It hasn't ruined my life yet.

It lags behind other tablets, so while it could be considered relevant when it launched, spending any amount of money on one now isn't the best idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YardGlass posted:

So because there are faster tablets it is now worth no money at all? At the prices it's being sold for it's an excellent tablet. For the things >90% of people want a tablet for it is an excellent tablet. How do you think that isn't worth *any* amount of money?

Its not due to tablet cameras or other bullshit. Its quite simple, that tablet is slow and painful to use at times.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sharkelberry posted:

Well The thing is I don't have 600+ dollars to spend on what is essentially a luxury item. The whole reason I wanted a TF101 (or Prime) is because of the price to performance ratio versus other tablets in my price range. I am trying to find something on my local Craigslist in the 2-300 dollar area that has a 10.1 inch screen and decent specs. So far, I haven't seen anything that comes close to the transformer series in terms of what I want versus what I am able to pay.

I am interested (out of pure curiosity) in what they are going to showcase though.

At least get a prime. Even including the hardware issues it has had tegra 3 is just way, way better than tegra 2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Yeah, everything I've read about the Q is truly scathing. I'm going to sleep on it. I have a glimmer of hope that Google will do something with it though. I mean, it has 16gigs and runs Android, so there's no way it can only stream music, youtube and Play stuff.

Right?...

You are usually good at getting a good deal on technology. This would derail that trend. Don't buy them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rohaq posted:

Not according to everything I just found on Google.

I think his point is who gives a poo poo about a crap Chinese tablet?

And I don't care how cheap it is, it's just not a good buy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

think of it this way: it's a Colby kryos with a capacitive screen. Battery life is useless and the display, at 1024x600, is not hd, and has terrible viewing angles in comparison to the nexus 7. It's 129.99 plus shipping I the us. Even with ghosting issues, the nexus 7 is infintimsilally better.

poo poo, when you put it that way sign me up, it's only $129!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Ignore Star War Sex Parrot's trolling.

In Android trying to seek out tablet-specific versions of things is wrong thinking. There are a few examples of those but well-coded apps work on a variety of different screen sizes / densities. Which is exactly why you would expect an Android tablet software thread to sort of die, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

For widgets have a look at HD Widgets and Beautiful Widgets.

I haven't seen the app selection change, but overall the argument that it scales fine is just wrong. I'll go as far as buying the argument for 7" tablets, but it simply isn't fun to do so with larger screens than that. I'm not a big app person, but for tablets all the main, "essential apps," are all inferior on Android right now.

And anyone who argues, my response is to try Google Docs. That is an app that should work great on Android and is just utter poo poo. Google Voice is more functional but the same way overall.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

I've been using my Nexus 7 for a few days now. I also own an iPad 2 and iPhone but I'm really happy with it so far. I like the build quality and the screen is more crisp than my iPad. I'm not entirely sold on the 7" form, mainly because landscape browsing is pretty useless on it, but it's definitely more comfortable to hold. Jelly Bean is great so far and is definitely leagues better than past Android versions I've used. It's fast, but still occasionally hangs up at random times (I'm assuming this will be fixed through updates)- overall, still doesn't seem as smooth as the iPad 2.

Overall, I'm just waiting for tablet versions of Flipboard, Spotify, & Twitter and I will feel comfortable selling off the iPad.

Oh, and the Google Play store is pretty garbage. I don't know why they can't have an easy way to sort through tablet optimized apps.

Pretty sure flip board stated they will not make a tablet optimized android app.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Thanks! But it's already falling apart. Either heavy strength spray adhesive isn't strong enough or I didn't put enough on.

As an update, I did this a few days ago and it seemed to work, but yeah, a day later the screen was back up. But we're literally talking a half-millimeter here. If I hadn't read about the defect on this thread I would almost definitely have not spotted it at all.

Does this matter though? A defect is a defect, I would have them fix it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

Jesus man, you sound pretty stressed out over a $250 tablet.

Meh, it shouldn't be that hard to avoid the issues that google constantly has with tablets and tablet software. There are plenty of things to have real issues about, but especially with tablets android/google just is inconsistent, buggy and not optimized.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, my N7 (2013) just stopped working (can't get it to boot on), so I am filing a claim with Asus now. So far they logged me out once while I was waiting for them to finish the RMA.

My own risk on going with the N7, but man am I going to take a lot of pictures so I have verification that it is not damaged.

How have others' luck been with Asus recently (I know they are usually terrible)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

What have you done to make sure it doesn't boot on. Sometimes You have to charge it for a few hours before it comes on. I had good experience with Asus. I stepped on mine and it ended up with a spot of stuck blue pixels in the middle of the screen. No physical damage so I RMA'd it. They replaced the screen and it's been great ever since.

plugged up over night, different chargers, etc. Just looks toasted.