Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Boywunda posted:

I'm using a NVIDIA Shield Tablet on 5.0.1. It received updates nearly the same time as Nexus devices. I have the nexus 5 as well and my Shield Tablet received the 5.0.1 update literally a day after my N5 did.

Back to the Shield on lollipop, I haven't experienced memory leaks at all. I don't experience launcher redraws or app redraws, however I'm using Nova.

I did get redraws on 5.0, but they are less frequent since 5.0.1. They also seemed to be more prevalent with the Google Now launcher.

I have never had that power button issue, though I use the smart cover and the shield wakes up when I open it.

My only gripe is I sometimes have a phantom touch in the lower left corner that I'll probably end up RMAing over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Boywunda posted:

So I did the Shield Tablet recall and my new one was shipped to me today. I unlocked, rooted, flashed custom recovery and custom ROM on my old one. Then turned on the new one and got it running. Both running perfectly. The note in the box indicated that my old one would bet deactivated as soon as I setup my new tablet and I could dispose of it following my local e-waste guidelines. So I don't even need to ship it back. This is pretty awesome.

I received my replacement a couple of weeks ago, and just turned off WiFi and shut down the old shield. I did some research a few days ago and found someone had discovered that if you root and delete the tegra ota folder it won't download the ota that bricks the tablet. It seems that the latest update allows for silent background updates ota. Some people got paranoid about this and disabled it on their new replacement tablets too. I flashed a zip does the disable and the old tablet is still working on the stock ROM.

I also received the return shipping packaging this week. In the box was a strange white coated fire resistant box with warnings all over it.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Inspector 34 posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? If I root it can't I go in and delete the proper folder/files without flashing anything?

Phoneposting, but this should get you started.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tablet/general/kill-kill-switch-shield-tablet-xx-t3179489

It's pretty much root, install recovery of choice (I used clockwork), and delete the /system/app/TegraOTA folder via a file browser or by flashing the nomoreota.zip in that XDA post (I used the zip). The XDA thread says use kingroot, but I googled it and did it manually.

If you need more help I'll dig up the links I used tonight.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 31, 2015

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Inspector 34 posted:

will I be able to verify the OTA folder is deleted without root access?

Sorry about the late reply, but just check with a file viewer and as long as the /system/app/TegraOTA folder is removed you should be golden. I just checked on my replacement stock and un-rooted shield with ES File Explorer and the folder isn't hidden or anything, so if you can't see it it's gone.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Budgie posted:

10 weeks later and my replacement SHIELD tablet has finally shipped.

EDIT: It came with a box full of fire retardant packaging prepaid return shipping. Booooo!

Anecdotal, but I never shipped my old one and they have not said one word about it. My stance is I can ship it if they ever make a fuss about it.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

wooger posted:

Are you sure they didn't charge your credit card for the new one...?

They didn't ask for any credit card info. Just name and address, and a shiny new Shield was on the way.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I'm pretty sure legally you can't sell anything with used parts as new. You would have to sell it as a refurb.

There's also two things I read that may be wrong information: that they have to legally destroy anything part of a recall, and that the revision with the non explodey battery has physically different power management circuitry.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I can tell you the worst tablet. Nvidia Shield. Decent standby time and when you use it...dies after an hour. Got it for free from a friend. I didn't believe him is was that bad. Googling turns up a thread on the official forums with people having the same issue with no fix

I can say with my 2 Shield tablets that they didn't get to this point until over two years of daily wear and tear on the batteries. The Shield is still the best tablet I've ever owned for the price and I wish Nvidia had made a second gen.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Can anyone else with a new Pixel tablet check something for me? In the clock app the option to have an alarm trigger an assistant routine is missing. Googling yields no hits for the Pixel tablet specifically, but people report that option missing if the assistant language is different from the system, but mine are both US English. I'd just like a sanity check.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

butt dickus posted:

it's not there on my tablet but is on my phone

Cool, thanks. Maybe that didn't implement that yet, which is stupid because my pixel phone has it and the Nest Hub the tablet partially replaced could do it as well. Google gonna goog.