Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've gotta be honest, I'm shocked that I haven't heard about the Samsung tab pro in this thread. Amazon is selling most of the line factory refurbished for like 200-230. For that price I can't think of something better at all. I've been using mine for a little over a week and I have absolutely no gripes with it.
It's 4:3 and it's pretty expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

When they first started doing the Kindle lockscreen ads there was one with a free $10 voucher for amazon.com. I don't know if any other good ones have come up but why not just take the discount and swipe past them if they aren't useful?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the $50 Fire tablet really that bad? I haven't read any reviews since I'm not in the market, but I figured it would just be underpowered and lacking features, but decent for non-tech people like grandma or a 7 year old.
I got my daughter the Fire HD 10. Other than the pixel density being too low (for me, she doesn't give a poo poo), it's a very nice tablet and works great. FreeTime works perfectly.

e: What I'm saying is that my only complaint is the screen density which would not be an issue with the 7" display so I'm guessing it's a really good deal for 50 bux

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 13, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Surely there are larger differences than just screen size between a $50 tablet and a $230 tablet?
Yep but they aren't as pronounced as you might think. 1.3GHz CPU clock vs 1.5GHz, 8GB vs 16GB internal storage. The 7" does have better display density of 171ppi vs 149.

Also the $50 fire only has a mono speaker.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 14, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

McLarenF1 posted:

I don't like that all new Android tablets are going to 4:3. I get that it's better for webpages, but it really sucks for movies and comics. Are any major manufacturers making next gen in 16:9 still?
:agreed:

Tablets should be 16:9 for maximum comic bookness.

The Xperia Z2 tablet is 16:9 and the Z4 is 16:10. The Fire HDX 8.9 is 16:10

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 10, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

butt dickus posted:

It's 1920×1200 which is 16:10.
Yep you're right, thanks

Comic books are 1.53:1 which makes 1.6:1 (16:10) the best choice to read them. There are still plenty of tablets sporting that ratio. gently caress 4:3 and gently caress the iPad :colbert:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dissss posted:

Such as?
Lenovo Tab 2, Xperia Z2/Z4, Kindle Fires, ZenPad, Galaxy Note and Tab Pro, plus lots from lovely no-name manufacturers like Kobo and Dragon Touch

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Wandle Cax posted:

Can anyone help me out. Having trouble moving my apps from internal to the SD card i just put in my Sony Z3 tablet. There is 55gb free on the sd card, the storage settings tell me that all the apps have been moved to the sd card already, so the options are greyed out. This is a lie and they are all still on internal storage, i have double checked by browsing the file system. I have tried moving an app's data manually to the sd card but then when i launch the app it just tries to download all the data again. If anyone can help me with this as it's really frustrating i'd really appreciate it.
I'm in the same boat on my Z2 tablet. Sony's UI has a feature to auto-move stuff to the card when internal storage is nearly full, but as explained earlier, app data will typically not move over. Meanwhile, make sure any media like movies/music/massive anime collection are all stored on the card.

The answer is just to wait for Marshmallow on the device because after 8 years, Android finally uses SD cards in a way that is not retarded and asinine.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My 2012 Nexus 7 is really long in the tooth. It never got the bad flash problem but I want to replace it with something that can play games a bit better because it drags a bit on Hearthstone and Summoners War.

Can anyone recommend a 7-8" tablet that:
- Can play newer games
- Uses Google Play because the games I want aren't on Amaazon yet
- Has at least 1280x800 or better display that is not 4:3
- Has charging port on the short side since I have it in a landscape cradle 99% of the time
- Is cheap af

Thanks!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

DemonMage posted:

The 7" Fire fits all of those except the resolution =-p
I'd be ok with the resolution but looking at the specs, on paper it doesn't really seem like an upgrade. I know you play Summoners War, how does it fare on the Fire 7?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My Xperia Z2 tablet just got the marshmallow update. Still the best 10" tablet that isn't an iPad.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I didn't realize there were so many people who voluntarily did not use Firefox on their various android devices. I can't even imagine life without ublock origin :sad:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dissss posted:

I've never seen the point of large tablets - IMO 8" 16:10 is as big as you can practically go (or iPad Mini size in 4:3)
I'm the opposite; why would I use a 7" device when my phone is nearly that big? Why wouldn't I want my tablet to be as big as a comic book page, since that's 90% of what I do on it?

In other tablet news, Apple surprised everyone today with a new iPad that's only $329. Not that anyone's really making Android tablets right now but this definitely changes expectations for non-lovely tablets.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The point is that people used adopted storage because the lovely handset manufacturers were trying to charge $100 for adding another 32GB eMMC NAND that costs about 6 bucks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

delfin posted:

The 2017 Amazon HD 10 is now down to $99 as an early Black Friday deal. That's pretty hard to beat.
It says it features Alexa. Is there a way to turn off this NSA spying feature?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

Give me an 8" form factor of this and I'll be all over it.
:same: but 10" and FHD not 720px

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Looks like my P11 Pro can't run Dawncaster so I'm in the market for the cheapest 10+ inch tablet that can. Is the Fire Max 11 able to sideload the play store? If not, what's the best tablet that could replace my ageing one? Not interested in ipad

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They recently gave me $250 for an old Galaxy S6 Lite that I wasn't even using. The Pixel tablet is just what I wanted and I got it just inside the return window for a Fire Max 11 which I was trying to like, but even with sideloading the Play store you can't change the launcher and they don't have swipe navigation.

The dock is also perfect for me since my Pixel tablet basically never leaves my bedside. Very happy with it, although the "taskbar" can't be disabled which is stupid. I had to raise the position of all the icons in Nova Launcher to accommodate it.