Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't travel enough with a Tablet to need a case with my transformer. And when I do i keep it in my laptop bag. Just two cents on the other side of cases, why get a case for something if you mostly use it at home?

I bought a case because I was afraid of scratching the screen if I lay it face down, and afraid of dropping something on it if I lay it face up. Also the case acts as a stand which I use frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Toady posted:

Wouldn't Lego blocks be cheaper? You've completely missed the point of post-PC appliance devices.

Do you not understand that the purpose of rooting and tinkering is to add features that some people may want, not features that should be stock? Things like overclocking, theming, or changing to a different OS version, are things people want to do because they want their device to be exactly how THEY want it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

My Transformer has a decent enough rear camera but frankly I've no use for it at that size. I took a couple pictures with it for the novelty of it all but that's it.

The rear camera would be nice for taking video (like home movies) if there was a single good Android app for editing video. The transformer comes with an app but it's the biggest shitpile I've ever used.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

No they don't.

Have you forgotten how awful resistive touch screens were?

They aren't nearly as good as Capacitive obviously, but I never used the stylus with my Touch Pro or Touch Pro2. They were resistive, but they were sensitive enough that you could use your finger on them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah for 300+ because people think they are worth money or something. Completely serious. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for something I know they got for a third of that. Maybe craigslisters are that stupid though.

I saw a 32 gb touchpad (used, slight wear on the back) for $175 on craigslist the other day. I considered picking it up but I doubt I'd ever use it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

:aaaaa: I didn't think this would come for weeks at least. This is a very good day.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

lamentable dustman posted:

I'm a huge nerd and couldn't wait a day and installed the TW Transformer ICS update. So nice and smooth.

How did you install it? I was under the impression that you had to have a Taiwanese TF in order to install it. Did you just install a TW Honeycomb stock ROM then upgrade to ICS?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The TF101 ICS OTA update for USA is out and from what I'm reading on XDA, doesn't break root. :dance:

edit: well I appear to no longer have root so ignore that part

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 24, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Frozen-Solid posted:

You should be using OTA RootKeeper. As long as you are you shouldn't lose root.

I thought about that about a minute after I hit update. Hopefully nachoroot still works.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If anybody else with a TF101 was stupid like me and took the OTA and lost root, you can get it back with this. Just make sure you only choose option 1. Don't use it to install CWM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kirk posted:

Beyond puzzle games, I mean. Something more in-depth - RPGs, etc.

I'd also like to find a good XBMC remote control app. Before I got rid of my iPad I had Constellation, which was amazing and I'd love to find something similar for ICS.

Something wrong with the official XBMC app?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kirk posted:

This is to control XBMC on my desktop, does the XBMC App interface with an HTPC running XBMC?

That's what it's made for.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does the Transformer Prime with ICS have as big of a problem with random boot-looping that the TF101 does? At least every other day, I'll open up my tablet to find it on the ASUS boot screen with either the spinning loading circle, or the circle will be frozen. The weird thing is it seems to murder my dock battery but not really affect the tablet battery.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

randyest posted:

Judging from XDA and AndroidCentral threads this is not uncommon, and may not even be ASUS-specific, but could be a general ICS problem. I'd hang tight and wait for an ICS update to address it. I'm sure google and ASUS are on it.

There was an update to fix it. It may have made the problem a little better but it didn't fix it completely. Also it's funny to hear someone say that Asus pushed out ICS too early because most people were ready to throw bricks through windows with how much longer it took to get ICS on the TF101 than on the TF201.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

uapyro posted:

ASUS placates Transformer Prime owners with free GPS Extension Kit add-on

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/05/Asus-to-offer-free-Transformer-Prime-GPS-Dongle/

Looks like it'll be free to anyone who has bought a prime, matches the color, and sits flush in the data port. It'll be interesting to find out if it'll work in the dock.

So I don't have to crack open my Prime, solder wires into it, and cut a hole in the side for the wires to stick out? :confused:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Secret Sweater posted:

I hate my tablet because I tried to install ROMs without knowing what I'm doing :words:

You could have 1-click rooted with ViperMod Primetime, installed CWM, then flashed any ROM through CWM with no issues. AOKP is full featured (though still suffers from random reboots which I believe to be inevitable) and is AOSP based.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Posting from my new Tab 2 7.0. Neat little thing. Peel Smart Remote is awesome. Downloaded GTA III.

What are we looking at here? Just standard tablet desktop? Am I missing something?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah, nothing special there. Was just fooling around with the screenshot button, wish my phone had that. I have noticed that when updating some programs it refers to my tablet as a phone.

Since you have a Samsung phone, Power + Vol Down will probably take a screenshot.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0

I hope whoever named this gets kicked in the teeth. I can't not read this as Tab 2.7.0. It's bad form to have two numbers in your product name like that, even if the 7.0 technically is supposed to be in parentheses because nobody writes it that way.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Cakefool posted:

And again I ask, why not have the good camera facing the user, if videochat is the future?

I would guess that as the picture quality goes up on the FFC, so does the bandwidth requirements to broadcast it. It's somewhat of a moot point since most people are using tablets on WiFi, but that's probably a reason.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just wish Samsung would come out and give some solid info on the Note 10.1.

World's largest smartphone tablet?

What's the name of that 18-inch dual-booting tablet that is supposed to be coming out? I think I'm the only person that is really interested in it. I rarely take my TF101 anywhere so having a laptop sized touchscreen device that can run Android AND Windows seems to be perfect for me, if it doesn't suck. I'm not getting my hopes too high on it not sucking though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

ASUS AIO (All in One).

Asus Transformer AIO (they have a whole line of AIO products). I mistakenly thought it had a keyboard dock like the rest of the transformer series. This doesn't do me much good as I still need a laptop form factor. Is it too much to ask that it have an optional full size keyboard dock with numpad?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Quick question for you ereader app users. Do any of these ereader apps have an autoscroll function? I've been using this because it's the only one that I've found with an autoscroll function. Everything else about the program is pretty terrible but autoscroll has spoiled me to the point where not having it is a deal breaker.

I haven't used it and I don't know how to activate it but I just checked and Moon+ Reader has autoscroll with five different scrolling options.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Yeah, this app seams to have everything I was looking for. Now if I can just figure out how to activate the autoscrolling function. It sure would have been nice if their website had a manual/faq or, really, anything more than a feature list.

Click in the middle of the screen to bring up the options bar then click on the play button.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Anyway to find the notification bar at the bottom of the screen or can that only be done through a custom rom?

I just made a white sheet in Sketchbook Express and set it as my wallpaper. Now I can just select a home screen with no icons on it.

An app called White Screen Flashlight might be able to do what you need. I don't have a phone with on screen buttons but I would imagine all you'll have on the screen will be tiny faint doors where the buttons are. I don't think there is a way to get rid of the button bar.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Pinny posted:

Small update on my TF101's battery woes...

I fully charged both the dock and the tablet over night and left the tablet powered down and detached from the dock while I went to work. Came home and checked them, the Tablet lost 1% battery, the dock lost 34% and it wasn't even in use.

When I attach them the dual battery widget shows the dock's battery icon as charging and the tablets icon as not charging. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

They swapped the icons in the last update. Click on it and it'll tell you. I think you can swap them back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

XIII posted:

More than once I've watched the FedEx guy walk up to our UNLOCKED doors and stick a note on it, saying they attempted to deliver a package, and then walk back to the truck and drive off. He won't even have a box with him. Our windows are slightly tinted, but you can clearly see us sitting inside, and the business hours are painted on the outside of one in huge letters, so that fucker KNOWS we're open. gently caress them.

Is this what happens when you don't tip your delivery drivers around Christmas? :ohdear:

ilkhan posted:

In my experience its more like "leave it on front door and sign 'F.Door' themselves".

Seems like you'd still have recourse if it gets stolen unless your name is Frank Door.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

I'm not one for cases but I'm definitely ordering one today-- this thing is too gorgeous to not have in a case.

It's so gorgeous that you're going to cover up it's gorgeousness with a case?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

NoDamage posted:

Hey guys, I am wrapping up the Android version of Paprika Recipe Manager and am looking for a few folks to help beta test. I'm mostly targeting the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, but pretty much anyone with an Android tablet and an interest in cooking is welcome to help out. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Screenshots:

(Bonus points if you already have the iPhone/iPad/Mac version of Paprika and can help test out the cloud sync to Android.)
:aaa: I thought this would never make it to Android. Paprika and Stanza are the two apps I still miss from my iPad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The $25 play store money was only for pre-ordering the Nexus 7 right? Is there any advantage to buying it in the Play Store versus buying it in a retail store?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Anyone know of a trustworthy proxy I can use to test? And I know it's probably not Google's fault but it's still stupid, does the Kindle do the same?

I don't know, but you could try downloading the Kindle app and the Nook app and see if either of those will let you download abroad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the name of that ginormous asus tablet they got going on?

I saw that one side by side with the google nexus 7 and some other 7" tablet and I just about had an orgasm, I want that thing so hard.

The Asus Transformer AIO? The 18-inch monstrosity?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah, gently caress you Google! I pre-ordered a brand new device and you have the gall to just ship me one for free?! :rolleyes:

edit: I may have misinterpreted the post as being an email you receieved, but instead you're mad that they are postponing the release so now you can't get one?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 1, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kynetx posted:

Sounds like you had plenty of time to cancel your order, why didn't you?

The cancellation window on hardware from the Play Store is one hour after purchase.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Evil Robot posted:

You can call them and get it canceled anytime before shipping.

Do you have a source for this? This page says otherwise.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually, HSN's tech stuff sells pretty decently from what I've seen. They had an RCA wireless media player that almost sold out.

Most of their market buys jewelry and clothing, but the tech stuff sells too.

He wasn't saying the tech stuff doesn't sell, he was saying their audience doesn't care about specs. They don't want to know about quad core or Jelly Bean, they want to know that it's faster than their computer and runs all the latest apps and comes with a ton of apps pre-installed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

tomm posted:

Or when the screen turns off. When I'm walking home from work there are certain things on Youtube I like listening to, but I have to leave the screen on in my pocket. It's a pain.

If Youtube worked with the screen off, not only would the RIAA have a shitfit about it, but so would music services like Spotify.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

brenter posted:

No, it is the stock charger. I used an outlet.

Are you positive you didn't damage the cable in some way? I recently realized that my six foot cable at work is a POS and would only charge my phone about 3-4% an hour. Once I swapped the cable out, I was back to 1% every couple minutes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Gyshall posted:

More of a hypothetical tablet question than a just android tablet question - but is it plausible for their to be a hybrid Android/Windows 8 tablet in the future? As in one that can dual boot both operating systems.

This is sort of what the Asus Transformer AIO is, but not in the way you'd want. When it's docked like a Desktop, it runs Windows 8. When you remove it from the dock, it switches to Android. Also it has an 18 inch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Out of curiosity, what kind of things do people use Pocket for? I don't think I've ever felt a need to save something for offline viewing, but I guess I'm rarely without internet access.