Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yup

It's getting old to say stuff like this, but what hosed up idiot saw a photo of Elizabeth Banks and said "let's make that hag into a BEAUTY QUEEN! Filters > Melt face"

Aside from that, I get the idea of making character posters since it has a lot of big names, but none of the quotes are either funny or tell you anything about the character.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I want to be clear here, are you saying Elizabeth Banks looks like a hag or is that 1st person?

No no, I was putting that in the potential marketing guy's mouth. I think Elizabeth Banks pretty much looks like just like an angel.

I know it's two pages back already, but this is just in case she is reading the thread.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I imagine "the untold story" is meant for people confused by the fact that this is like the fastest remake ever, and can use a reminder that it's not a movie they've already seen.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

Where did you get "fur-suited" from? You can see in this poster everyone's wearing pretty normal clothes:

But the "Based on True Events" thing is absolute bullshit.

Aside from Liv Tyler screaming, I'm pretty sure "because you were home" is the absolute last line in the movie, and one of the last shots as well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Danny Trejo has his torso put on backwards.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really wish that if after watching that movie, I could say "yes. That poster was an exact representation of what that movie was all about."

Speaking of obnoxious product placement, it was really weird being lent a copy of Dracula 2000 by a friend, and after a while realizing there is never not a Virgin logo somewhere on screen.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Here's the problem, the billing block and the pedigree have rules. So the filmmakers selected a certain font that they want to use. The producers want Oren Peli's name at the top. But the unions have rules. The DGA has rules. The font below needs to be the same size as the font above.

The font they selected for the top makes the billing block huge and cuts off the town so you have to massage it to make everything work. You can see at the bottom that the director's name is down there alone. Well, Oren Peli and the Van Dykes that wrote the screenplay together can't be broken up, they have to be on the same line. The two guys that run Alcon together, Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove need to be on the same lines. Alcon, Filmnation and Oren Peli/Witten's company need to be on the same line. And on and on and on.

In the end we went with a font close to what the filmmakers wanted and would sign off on and not take up half the space. It is a little hard to see but on one-sheet size it is easier to read.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the Ad Pub Guidelines that make up poster legal bullshit.

Your job sounds like someone dumps a box full of hopelessly tangled christmas lights on your desk in the morning and tells you to have it straightened out by lunch.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

I saw this poster in a theatre tonight, I'm just going to leave it here for y'all:

I'm curious if that movie delivers on its tagline.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe this remark is a little outdated but that's not generally the sort of picture I expect next to the words "Nintendo DS."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Also since I haven't created that trailer thread yet, please enjoy our new trailer just released just now for Ben Affleck's Argo...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/argo/

Sorry for being kind of off-topic, promise to get a new thread at some point.

This trailer did a good job at selling me on this movie. Looks very tense though I agree with zenintrude - it makes you wonder if there's a much lighter tone to this movie that doesn't come across in the trailer.

edit: just read your reply above here. It seems like the sort of deal your last name would have to be Coen for it work, but I'm definitely interested in this movie.

Took me quite a while to realize I was looking at Ben Affleck.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

I don't understand why the deer has a zombie head stuck on it's antlers.

Now come on y'all. Surely we could do better than that! What if we'd piss in their eyesockets, kill them, rape them, and use the blood as lubricant?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ehh, I'd pay $250 for the actual poster, not just the art.

I don't know. I'd love to have that thing, huge, framed in my living room, so that I could high-five people who recognize it without seeing the title.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

Ooosh? Bang Tidy?

This looks like a movie that is a ripoff of a hundred things, but nothing in particular, right down to the manufactured attempts at creating catchphrases.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This seems incredibly ill-advised.

"Hey mom, here's another Leprechaun movie with Warwick Davis! Can we watch this next?"

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What the heck happened to Steven Dorff? He was getting to be a big deal in the late 90's and then, what?

I'm kind of having difficulty remembering why. The only thing that comes to mind whenever I see his name is Blade, though I do remember him being a "name" at the time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is clearly comprised of file photos of the various actors (except maybe Seymour, assuming she's the one in the wig.)

Like, Olivia Munn's face there is clearly from a Maxim pictorial.

There's something disturbing about how no one is looking in a logical direction or has a facial expression that matches the action they're performing. It's like a bunch of robots malfunctioned and threw themselves against a door. The Oliviabot was stuck in sex mode.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Apes-Ma posted:

I bet this guy is overjoyed to see that they managed to make him look like an NPC from Oblivion.

I'm frantically trying to find a speechcraft wheel so I can put a less unpleasant expression on his face.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
BEAR inspire me to advise.

also

and based on the internet sensation

As a sidenote, I'm slightly amused by the really long cast names. Does anyone know if actors insist on their middle name being printed for a specific reason? More room for their name? More distinction?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Am I the only one who, every time he scrolls past a Machete Kills poster, is compelled to croak out the title in a gravelly trailer guy voice?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kush posted:

Official Skyfall UK poster:

Remember when Bond posters used to be awesome? :effort:

Tagline: Here's Daniel Craig, again

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Then I read this. What. The. gently caress. I had no idea this film existed and I've written papers on Dune, named pets after Dune characters and read everything I could get my hands on, even the abysmal Brian Herbert trash. How did this thing escape my radar??

This story can not be mentioned without also mentioning that Dali would play emperor Shaddam IV, whose throne was a golden toilet in which he would defecate, presumably in front of everyone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Here's a poster that I think is really awesome:

With posters like this I'm never sure if I want to know whether the movie delivers on that poster or not.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Cedric the Entertainer is still alive? For some reason I thought he died years ago. I think I got him and Bernie Mac fused together in my mind. Or that maybe he was the third of the Bernie Mac/Isaac Hayes death set, because celebrities always die in threes.

Whenever I read Cedric the Entertainer, the irony of that name almost kills me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

Why do they do this? Is it too much to get the actors to come in for a few hours and pose for a poster shot?

This is one particular example where I can imagine it's intentional, though - it might be more work to get the actors to look that perfectly mirrored, than photoshopping one guy's pose to look like it's a different suit.

Doesn't excuse the plentitude of examples this thread has produced of cases where a person's legs, arms, middle, upper torso and head all seem to have come from different sources, though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Two Kings posted:

Alright, so they're basically reimagining "My Boyfriend's Back"?

And holy crap there were a lot of stars that got their starts on this bomb. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Matthew McConaughey, Renée Zellweger, and Matthew Fox all had some roles in this movie.

I honestly first read this as "My Boyfriend's Black" and thought it was some kind of horror comedy take on Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I... I love that the Photoshop artíste just made both his eyes lazy instead of trying to fix the lazy one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lance Streetman posted:

Bit late, but:

Whoever came up with that tagline deserves one million dollars and a resounding mid air high five.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'd never heard of El Topo, but seeing as it's a western directed by AND starring Jodorowsky, I feel I now must check it out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

This just makes me uncomfortable.

I'm on my phone, but I'm seeing Bruce Willis where Buscemi should be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
For the record, I would totally put it in Steve Carrel.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I can't be alone in seeing a Face/off Nicolas Cage here.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lizard Combatant posted:

Also, this film looks hideous. Not just the giants, but everything.

I feel it would be passable if the giants didn't look so crap. It's like someone leaned over the modeler's shoulder and screamed "I don't care whether it looks remotely like it actually fits in a realistic landscape, PILE ON MORE loving GRIME AND GRIT"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Say what you may about Ghost Dad, it has one of Cosby's best imitations of a Satanist.

Worship him? I am Satan!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ghostpilot posted:

In keeping with the ninja theme:

I have to lean over and squint to not read "arts limited" as "rats limited".

I really want to start a production company called "Rats Limited" now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Why make a poster like that and then just have the ninjas looking around as if Wolverine's either not there or he's their leader? I'm guessing the answer is "no one wanted to spare the time and money to photograph our ninja actors in kind of a circular melee setup, but the studio bosses still demanded Wolverine in a ninja melee, and that's not really something you can photoshop out of a series of google searches so gently caress you, here you go."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

poo poo. Does the movie deliver at all on that awesome poster?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ShufflerZero posted:

Real Bullets and Real Beards

First appearance by Danny McBride as a man who shoots Real Arrows.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Radio Paranoia posted:

Trains...
Romance...

It's everything you ever wanted in a film.

I can't remember another time when a movie tried to sell itself to people by declaring there are trains in it. Just in case you thought the title was metaphorical for something.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

Has Arnold ever had an Austrian name in an American film?

Hello, Miss Madigan. Arnold Braunschweiger.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Tarantino is a bad actor, but I can usually put up with him. His part in Django though was cringe-worthy.

I thought it was hilarious, terrible accent and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Pacific Rim is doing character posters for the robots and monsters, it seems. The latest have battle stats.

Gipsy... out of Danger?