Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One thing I brought up in the last thread that I personally have a disdain for in posters, depsite being less of a new trend but an ongoing practice, are the "character spotlight" posters. We've seen plenty of them for superhero movies. Fantasy movies do this, in order to evoke the "Oh my god! It's that supporting character from the book I read" feeling. There some of them for heist movies. And action movies with emphasis on individuals in the team. "The Leader. The Veteran. The Thief. The Insider. The Rogue. The token minority and/or woman."

Obviously some are stupider than others, but it comes down to "here are characters or archetypes we expect you to recognize because we assume we already won you over because we're promoting a remake/sequel/reboot/ripoff. now let's take up room that otherwise could have went to five other movies and let you ponder why we're not making anything original."

From a marketing standpoint, I guess it makes sense. And if it's a movie with a lot of "big stars", maybe it's warranted to show off the ensemble. But it gets really nauseating when they're character spotlight posters for some stupid Dreamworks animation poo poo, because the movie already comes off as overly obnoxious as it is.

Even as a casual Green Lantern fan, I'll let you know seeing Bird Man, Purple Guy, or Mustache Dude With Dragonball Hands doesn't excite me at all. And I can only wonder about casual movie-goers. It's not like this example's running on Geoffrey Rush's star power anyway.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I took the Red Dawn change as a "gesture" by the studio to the Chinese to show they don't mean to offend their country. That way, the Chinese would be less compelled to punish the studio by blocking another one of the studio's films from being released there.

Also, the movie will be racist as poo poo and its marketing will inevitably play up how controvsersial it is. I just hope the movie gets released, bombs at the box office, and nobody remembers it two months after the premiere.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Nihonniboku posted:

And this cartoon that everybody has seen a dozen times but is still relevant to any discussion about Dreamworks:

This image needs to be updated for 2012 so the bottom is just the guy saying "It's about these supervillians or monsters, and they do things bad guys don't normally do. And they make this face."

Edit: I pretty much use "Dreamworks" as umbrella term for all non-Pixar animation, even if it's Fox, Warner Bros, or Non-Pixar Disney. It's not unlike how people over 50 sometimes call all CG animation "Pixar" because they can't tell the difference.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2012

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Lobok posted:

I'd rather more movies like 2001 instead of Harold and Kumar IV: 20.
I want another Harold & Kumar movie. :colbert:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Is there a Primer version of those BTTF posters?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Paul Allen posted:

Awesome new building ad for Game of Thrones

Aren't these usually the kind of ads that have to be pulled because they start causing accidents?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

I actually think this is a nice subversion of The 40-Year-Old Virgin's poster template. Unlike those movies, we have a person whose actions have serious and real consequences. You get the idea we're in for two hours of pathological lying and/or mental gymnastics. But there's still enough mystery to why he's smiling that we'll have to see it to find out.

Seriously as a big fan of The Fog of War, I'm going to check this movie out.

Also, here's a much larger, but cropped, version of Rummy's poo poo-eating grin. :gonk:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Fast & Furious 7 Teaser Poster

I don't think it's half bad.
Fan made. Unofficial. Tricked a bunch of people.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

morestuff posted:

I wish this Mr. Smith Goes to Washington poster wasn't a limited run:

Should be the 48-star flag.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll get around to watching Boyhood, though there's a good chance I might be one of those people who finds it not engaging beyond the gimmick.

"Hoop Dreams" is a good "watch these teens grow up" movie.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still find it funny how there's still two Hollywood Videos open, sort of gone rogue after the chain was shut down.

Wikipedia posted:

As of late 2013, two Hollywood Video locations remain open in the US. In Jackson, Mississippi one store reopened in half of a former Hollywood Video under the same name and logo. The other half of the store became a coin laundry under the banner Hollywood Coin Laundry. In Cedar City, Utah, a Hollywood Video accompanied with GameCrazy opened in a retail strip center both operating under the same name and logo as the former chain.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's whitewashing. And I don't give a gently caress about anime.

Scarlett Johansson at one time was a fan favorite actress, but she's essentially the female Ryan Reynolds now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I compared SJ to Ryan Reynolds because I imagine in the near future she's just going to be the default "white female lead" in a lot of inoffensive average movies in the near future.

Seeing her cast in a whitewashed film was my SJ tipping point, as much as I've seen plenty of decent movies with her in it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I consider "From the Studio that Brought You" in the same category as "Thumbs Up! - Gene Siskel of Siskel & Ebert".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Franz von Dada posted:

You consider it a good sign?
It was funny to see movies back in 90s advertise that they had exactly one thumb up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whenever I see John Carter or Lone Ranger get mocked for being box office bombs; I find it hilarious that they still registered on film geeks' radar for being disasters.

In contrast to R.I.P.D. which also cost a ton of money to make; yet disappeared from even the mythology of box office flops because it was so forgettable and bland. Its performance on its first weekend (7th place) was far behind the second weekend of another perceived box office flop, the geek-loved Pacific Rim (3rd place).

I guess what I'm really saying is that there's probably an interesting backstory to the Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds movie because a lot of people behind the scenes probably knew nobody would pay to see it yet the project wouldn't die.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This was mocked in the latest Red Letter Media video. Didn't see anyone post it in the last few pages.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But is My Big Fat Greek Life still canon?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
MBFGW may have inspired a bunch of shittier "my family is affectionately out of control!" comedies but it was a pleasant movie that surprised everyone when it first came out. All I understand about the backlash against the movie was that it made a lot of money but mom loved it.

I'll take a sequel for that over "dumb vehicle for an SNL alum" comedy. Heck, I'll watch it over that dumb superhero movie coming out the same weekend.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

metallicaeg posted:

Needs more flying rocket powered Picard

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Angels and Demons wasn't that bad. It was full of "plot holes if you think about it", but it wasn't boring like Da Vinci Code.

Also, when are we getting National Treasure 3?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Marco Polo is really The Kublai Khan Show, and I'm glad this poster got it right.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Nckdictator posted:

Here, with the 2016 election over in a month have some Presidential-related posters. Going for the more obscure ones.
I like this theme. I want to continue it. Even with non-obscure ones:

Obama

Dubya

Bill

JFK

Truman

Johnson (no, the other one)

Quincy Adams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I played very little Assassin's Creed, and I remember reading the wiki article about Templars and thinking it's the stupidest thing ever.