Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It was a few pages ago we were thalking about the best of Nicolas Cage's new stuff, but he turns in a hell of a performance in 2014's Joe, directed by David Gordon Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

BonoMan posted:

Oh absolutely. I listened to the WTF with David Schwimmer and he said as much (for all of them) that they were lucky because Friends basically provided them with the financial freedom to do whatever the gently caress they wanted for the rest of their lives.

Wait, so Matthew Perry WANTS to have his career?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Improbable Lobster posted:

That has to be one of the best posters of the year, easy.

E: there should be a yearly poster award thread IMHO, like how the D&D political cartoons threads does awards for worst political cartoon.

I don't vote in them anymore, but CineD has done the annual CineBytes awards before (or maybe they were switched to "the Goonies") and this would be a great category. There's already a Best Trailer category. Bring it up in GenChat.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
legit thought that was a Ready Player One poster.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The Iron Giant really feels out of place since the rest of Ready Player One's bullshit is 80s nostalgia, and basically highlights how creatively bankrupt and poorly thought-through the whole thing is.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I rewatched Rat Race recently, and it's incredibly weird. There are some great bits (the aforementioned Hitler bit, the Lucys, all the scenes with the billionaires finding different things to bid on) and then many half-baked ones, but none of them come together to anything of substance and then Smash Mouth shows up and the movie is VERY 2000.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Michael Moore's documentaries rule because he's one of the few people left-of-center to realize that there are few techniques better for calling people to action than pure, unadulterated anger. Right-wingers don't have a monopoly on rage, but boy howdy do they master it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Boy you know what this flying elephant movie needs? More people.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Anyone interested in watching Liev Schreiber play a working-class mug who just like to punch stuff should probably just watch Goon and Goon 2

(this one is dumb but I appreciate the Black Crowes reference)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Kenneth Branagh producing and directing himself playing Shakespeare writing about himself is probably peak Kenneth Branagh.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m looking at his filmography and he was in a Harry Potter movie (Gilderoy Lockhart?) and the villain in Wild Wild West.

Gilderoy Lockheart wasn't the guy with the demon in back of his head, is what that meant.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Warning, this hellboy FUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

He most assuredly does not.
https://twitter.com/weirdcities/status/1116170370309132289

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

hexwren posted:

The show, whose tone was consistent with precisely gently caress-all

the one with the gunfight at the ok corrall
the one with the swinging sixties spy
the one where kirk reads the constitution
the one with the space hippies

I've been watching a lot of The Andy Griffith Show lately for a podcast and this seems pretty true of most scripted TV in the 1960s. I think there were a lot of rules about content (what you couldn't say or show) but absolutely no rules on editorial/style - plus a lot of writers had been taken from radio and no one really knew/had standards for writing for television yet. Plus, they weren't writing to be re-watched or binged, the idea of syndication was still brand new, so they thought they were creating something mostly ephemeral, making continuity a secondary priority. Plus, as previously mentioned, a lot of it was just "what studio resources can we get this week?"

The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 1: A little boy is sad because his new caretaker doesn't know how to play stickball.
The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 2: There is an escaped convict prowling through the woods outside Mayberry, there is a state-wide manhunt for his arrest, he has stolen an officer's gun and he is taking hostages, and only Andy has the knowledge of local landmarks that can take him down.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Undercover Brother has that really good bit where Chi McBride says "give me one good reason I shouldn't fire your rear end" and Eddie Griffin say "Be...cause I don't... work for you?" and his delivery is so funny that I've thought about it at least once a month for the past 17 years.

No idea what the gently caress this sequel is.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Woebin posted:

The others I get, but who's this supposed to be? Scarecrow? IMDb doesn't list him as in the film so probably not. Whoever it is, that mask is terrible.

There actually IS a Batman villain named "Black Mask" and so as I scrolled by, I just thought "oh, I didn't know that Black Mask was in this movie"

Shanty posted:

I think it's the Riddler, but he's, like, Jigsaw now.

This makes more sense and is also way dumber though.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Everyone knows that most posters these days with multiple people are cobbled together from headshots taken at different times and places. The Chef poster is so garbage though, it appears that they didn't even pull a headshot for Vergara, Favreau, and the kid (possibly Johansen as well) from a pro source, they literally just pulled from red-carpet paparazzi snaps where they appeared for the premier of whatever else. Hoffmans head looks like it was taken from some other movie. Downey appears to be the only one taken from a professional headshot

I am like 90% sure that RDJ is from Elton John's "I Want Love" music video.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So the male robots (Why is this a thing?) have facial features you can barely make out but the lady robots have clearly-defined lips and cheekbones.

You know, Professor Clumsy tried to make this same point about planes once and people lost their loving minds.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
He doesn't even really stick to the original joke, it's no longer "stuff we do would seem weird to an alien observer" and now it's just "explaining common tasks using too many words."

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

kiimo posted:

This is a legit problem in LatAm and they're pissed.

They were also pissed way back when I worked on 42.

they hate this

Sucks for them, this poster kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MikeJF posted:

Nooooope.

Somehow this is not the only movie RDJ has made where he questions hooking up with his own daughter!

good things come in judgement