Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I find most 'posters' in this style pretty stupid and obnoxious, but this one really takes the cake.

Seriously, it's somehow even worse than that Matrix poster with the battery.

The problem with posters like these is that they take one small part of a film and capitalize on it as if its some sort of defining and hyper important trait that the poster just has to reference.

Some of them are quite nice and imply a proper theme of the movie but most are just really silly references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Jeffrey Coombs Question :colbert:.

For content, what a good war movie poster looks like:

I love this movie and thats poster I want sitting on my wall. I love the dollar bill flag.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

What the hell, Emma Thompson was in that?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Is there any possibility of Men in Black 3 NOT being terrible and awful like Men in Black 2?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

fenix down posted:

That is awesome. Such attention to detail.

As much as computers have made this a thousand times easier and more detailed, theres something amazing about old practical techniques that computers will just never replicate.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Yeah but its not very good.

I watched it not too long ago and it was... decent. Far more of a monster movie then a dramatic tragedy like the first one but not a terrible movie.

Its a far inferior sequel though, The Fly is really an excellent film.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Actually he is completely right. A DVD being involved is completely inconsequential to the scene and utterly pointless as a design point for the film packaging.

Maybe you should stop defending a lovely design choice?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, Torque kind of fell victim to Poe's Law. Coming in the wake of the first two Fast & Furious movies, which are already loving ridiculous, a lot of people thought Torque was supposed to be serious.

Well, the producers and Ice Cube certainly did. I dunno about anyone else on set though.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I can think of two instances where studios actually said "this sucks".

Die Another Day was the (previously) most successful Bond movie, but it was so bad the studio opted to shitcan the franchise and start over. And it paid off.

Batman and Robin was a massive success. The studio said "this sucks" and refused a sequel, opting to shitcan the franchise and start over. And you can see that paid off to the tune of billions of dollars.

I think it basically comes down to risk assessment. Considering both movies cost a shitload to make it was going to be a massive gamble on any further movies when critical reception was just that poor.

This doesn't always happen, Transformers is just poo poo but still makes bank regardless. Interestingly the third one made less money in America but made a shitload more overseas. Dunno what it is about robots shooting each other that makes people love these movies.

Vagabundo posted:

You know what didn't make the studios go "this sucks" and can the franchise?

Didnt these all cost only tens of thousands to make? You could poo poo out a hundred terrible sequels and still wheel home barrelfuls of money.

*edit, the original was like 15000 but the sequels were 3 and 5 millions respectively. I guess actors actually want to get paid for these ones.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Remember that Atlas Shrugged 2, a while back. Well it was apprently released this month. Here's the poster:

Poor Atlas is "Oh, Christ, not this poo poo again."

You'll be pleased to know that it bombed, again - $25 Million budget - only $2 million return.

The best bit is how the movie was funded:

:ironicat:

And the fee market decides... Yet again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Who's no Harrison Ford. :colbert:

Who is no Tommy Flanagan either.