Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Starting to look like the 2nd week will be fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:woop:

Kinboshi hype!

Endo?!?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well, we got some clarity this weekend on how this tournament is going to shake out.

That should just about do it for any high-level promotion hopes. Goeido and Takayasu both pretty much need to run the table in week 2, and that is just not happening. The tournament is probably going to be won by Kisenosato or a yokozuna

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kanthulhu posted:

This reminds me - how is that canadian kid doing? is he moving up the ranks at all?

He retired

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

pseudodragon posted:

What would be funnier, Kise sweeping the Yoks and going 13-2 but finishing second to 14-1 Kakuryu who he beat head to head, or 14-1 Ishiura who beat nobody?

I assume that in the final days if Kak loses two, they will make Ishiura fight someone who is highly ranked to try and ensure that he at least has to win a playoff.

But yes, clearly the comedy option would be an Ishiura Yusho, so thats what we should root for.

edit: Comedy ending just got a little closer to reality

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At this point, I don't think it is possible anymore for this basho to be a disappointment in any way. There's a chance that this could be the most entertaining tournament in a long time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Japanese media are reporting that if Ishiura wins tomorrow, then from Day 13+, he will face wrestlers in the Sanyaku until he loses.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Banzuke is up for the New Year Basho. No big surprises.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo/rankings/2017-new-year-basho/

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Around this time, it seems that rumors start coming out about injuries and/or wrestlers looking good in training. Rumor is that Harumafuji is having problems with his ankles, and Goeido is having back pain, both still optimistic that they'll be healthy for the tournament.

On the other side, Kakuryu and Hakuho are both reportedly healthy, in shape, dominating wrestlers in practice, and looking good to go.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like everyone in Makuuchi is good to go for day 1. No one has pulled out before the tournament, and day 1 matches have been scheduled.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Couple minor upsets to kick it off, but the Yokozuna all look pretty good.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WindyMan posted:

Sweet move by   Oosunaarashi   to open things up too.

I almost didn't bother to watch that match, but I figured what the hell, its day 1, I'll see them all.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I believe you have to be logged into twitter to view it, but they put up a really awesome photo journal of the construction of the dohyo for this month's tournament.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/817384547155410945

I dont remember where I saw it, but they had a pretty cool youtube video of the dohyo from November slowly being built.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK, I think its late enough in the evening to post this.

Kinboshi hype! :woop:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

For those wondering about Wakaichiro (kid from Texas with a glorious afro), he looks solid. He's 1-1, but that loss was against (relatively speaking given the division) a pretty good opponent and was competitive.

Day 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Jpg6zBebY

Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtaIH95hJkE

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 12, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Haramafuji was injured in his Day 5 match, but he'll try to continue. Someone else translated this, I assume its correct:

quote:

Harumafuji injured his right thigh in his match against Okinoumi today.. "The minute I threw him, I felt a rush of pain. We'll wait and see till tomorrow.. I'm feeling discomfort" he said backstage. He was seen limping but assured everyone that he was "OK.". "All rikishi have all kinds of injuries, but I have responsibilities. Sumo is about the fans. Their vocal support and applause are the best medicine there is. It gives me strength!!"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tochinoshin is out, he hurt his knee again and is on crutches. Takayasu will get a walkover victory.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Wakaichiro, day 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZkJKkwb3yY

You see his skinny opponent and think "lol, mismatch"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Harumafuji has withdrawn. Ikioi will get a walkover victory. I assume that will not count as a kinboshi or be anything to consider for prizes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fluffdaddy posted:

One Yokozuna out and the other one looking near retirement means this one is Hakuhou's to lose, with Kisenosato chasing.

Walkovers don't count for prizes, as far as I know.

We also have one Ozeki who is pretty much guaranteed to be demoted and another who will be kadoban and maybe done in 2 months.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

How does it work for a yokozuna when they have to sit out due to injury? Do they get a pass on it if they can come back and win next tournament? If they had to miss two would they start getting pressured to retire immediately?

Depends on the yokozuna and the injury. From what I've gathered, if it is a younger, successful wrestler who has won tournaments in the past year and he suffers a horrible injury that you can come back from but the doctors say recovery should take many months, I think people would understand if he missed 2 or even 3 tournaments as long as he looks good on the return. If its an older yokozuna plagued by injuries, not doing well, and he has to pull out of yet another tournament, people may tell him his body has broken down and its time to quit.

Neither describes Harumafuji. If he is getting any significant pressure to retire, then thats ridiculous, he won double digits 5 times in 2016 and a yusho.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:wtc:

Kise won, Hakuho inexplicably.... somehow..... lost and gave up a kinboshi to a guy who was 1-6. Pressure is on now, will Kisenosato crumble again?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Reaction after day 9: What a crazy-rear end tournament

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 10 is over.

One word or phrase to summarize this day, hmm... Tension building!

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kakuryu has withdrawn, Kotoshogiku will get the walkover win.

That obviously sets up Hak vs Kise on day 15.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Is Kakuryu injured or 'injured'?

probably "injured". He's 5-5, a lot of people were predicting it. You don't want to see a yokozuna get a losing record.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 11 is over. That was fun, a couple of good matches in there.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Queering Wheel posted:

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8As6sEDKZY

No big surprises today, but nothing is really a surprise anymore this basho.

lol Kise is gonna find a way to not win the yusho, I can feel it

I almost think it might be bad for him if Hak lost today to go two wins above him with 3 days left. That would put him in "oh wow, this is totally your tournament. You don't even need to beat hak now, just win your other 2 matches" territory, in which case he cracks, loses one, loses to hak to force a playoff, and falls apart.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its early, but if Kotoshogiku gets his 8th loss and decides not to retire, we could have a bit of rare banzuke weirdness in March. Shodai is probably going to be out of the Sanyaku ranks when he gets his 8th loss since Mitakeumi is likely going to be grabbing Tochinoshin's spot, but if Tamawashi gets his 8th win to keep his rank and Takayasu forces things by winning 10 or 11, we could have 3 at Sekiwake.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Goeido reportedly hurt his ankle and has withdrawn. He must really be hurt for them to let him withdraw because it means that Kisenosato will get the walkover victory for day 13.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

On Day 14 Takanoiwa (M10, 10-2) will be pulled up to fight Hakuho, and Ichijono (M13, 10-2) will be pulled up to face Kisenosato. So those two lower-ranked guys would need to earn the Yusho.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

I mean he did come in second and beat all the yokozuna in November, but 12-3 just seems a win short of a yusho-level jun-yusho to me. Did the association say he was a promotion candidate this basho?

They were not clear, they kinda said that a 15-0 would be good enough, and short of that, maybe a "dominating" yusho, but no promises.

We're not going to get that with kisenosato potentially facing only hakuho and 3 ozeki. But if he did get to 14-1, then things get interesting. On one side this is just about the easiest tournament victory you could imagine. On the other side of the debate though you of course have the strong desire for a Japanese yokozuna, and you also have to keep in mind that we're not talking about a new ozeki here, he's been around for a long, long time with a very long history of solid performances and occasionally fighting like a yokozuna but falling short because of Hakuho. If its a coin flip in their mind, they may give it to him.

If not, then I imagine 13 wins in March would get Kisenosato over the line.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I did not understand almost any word spoken in this video, but after seeing this, I'm just gonna say a 14-1 yusho by kise = yokozuna promotion, full stop. This video is probably amusing to see even if you (like myself) dont speak the language at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0_pSU7Sx2k

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think there should be a double standard for yokozuna promotion, one for younger wrestlers without a track record, and another for older wrestlers with a history of being consistently very good at the sanyaku ranks. If, say Takayasu (who is only 26 and still has a lot of sumo ahead of him) hypothetically finishes 2nd at 12-3 and wins the yusho in March, even if it was 15-0 I'd want him to be held to the traditional standard and see him win again in May. At least when kak was promoted, he had been Ozeki for 2 years and hadn't had a losing record in over 3 years. For someone like kisenosato who has been Ozeki for 5 years, the most wins in 2016, and had double-digit wins 10 out of the last 12 tournaments, a relaxed standard is fine if he wins this tournament. Now that I look again, he's only ever been kadoban once.

Another reason to have this double standard is its kind of unfair to the wrestler to promote him if he is young and not ready for it. If he just had a good little run finishing 2nd then 1st and you promote him right then without a history of greatness, if he starts losing after that he'll quickly be pressured to retire and he may be out of the sport in his 20's, robbing us and him from seeing what he could have accomplished in a normal career. I'm not as worried about doing that to 30-year old Kisenosato.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 20, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

it has got to mess with your mind if you are takanoiwa, random rank and filer, you go on a good little run and suddenly millions in Japan will be happy or sad based on your performance on this one night.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:suspense: Day 14 is over.

edit:

As much as people are quick to dismiss day 15 as irrelevant, I think it may matter.

If Kise beats hak tomorrow to emphatically go 14-1, I think he gets the promotion. If hak wins, especially if he wins easily, then... who knows.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 21, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Japanese media is reporting that members of the YDC have pretty much said that Kisenosato will be promoted if he beats Hakuho. If he loses on day 15, then they will discuss it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shukun sho (Outstanding performance): Takanoiwa
Kanto sho (Fighting spirit): Takayasu
Gino sho (Technique): Sokokurai

Not sure if there are any provisional prizes that might be awarded based on day 15, but those 3 are confirmed.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 15 is over.

That was a cool tournament.

its gonna feel a bit odd to see 6 yokozuna clashes in March, assuming everyone is healthy

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://youtu.be/1Vc-JytpKOQ