Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've just downloaded the Resident Evil 4 remaster on PS4 in anticipation for the remake. This game owns so much, I've played it a bazillion times. It's campy because you can suplex ganados and Leon's conversations with Hunnigan are FanFiction.net levels of writing, but it's also scary as hell and can quickly introduce a level of panic whenever the zombies rush you or there's a chainsaw dude.

That being said, I would like the remake to have more slow burn horror. An isolated European village where everyone has gone mad should easily be able to rely on it's atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Imagine not saving during a randomiser run.

https://i.imgur.com/k2oFKWl.mp4

Can't stop loling at this one. What happens if the game decided to spawn a gigantic enemy like Plant 42 or the Black Tiger in a tiny room like that?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

I'm drawing a blank on the room next to the Rebecca save room and the Broken Shotgun room, near the stairs where the hunter attacks Rebecca. It's the keeper's room. Also, what's that massive staircase behind the wall of the Kenneth corpse corridor?

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 26, 2022

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ah I didn't realise it was a map of the remake mansion. I think that door is just a window in the original.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Replaying 4 in preparation for the remake and it's like coming home to an old friend, I love this game.

The original village section with the chainsaw dude still scares me, really adds a sense of fear and terror right from the beginning. Ditto the warehouse before the Chief fight.

The bosses have been much easier than I remember. Del Lago was very easy. Chief Mendez glitched out and couldn't walk past a pillar I was hiding behind, allowing me to pump him full of TMP rounds. I just used the rocket launcher on the first Verdugo. Salazar just ate a load of magnum rounds and died quickly.

The most difficult enemies have been the plaga dogs, and the face hugger style plagas. Thank god the dogs only appear twice.

Leon acting blasé and throwing out a cool one liner every time a boss goes one winged angel.

Leon hanging from a rope over a spike pit of death and taking time out to troll Salazar by shooting the bell.

Have upgraded my bolt action rifle to the point where it does 30 damage and pretty much instant kills all enemies. In comparison, my Broken Butterfly is currently at 24 and ammo is much rarer for that.

There's much less Ada than I remember, I'm about to go fight Krauser and she's appeared only twice so far. Am looking forward to replaying Separate Ways and The Mercenaries.

The army base section is a bit of a let down after the creepy village and wacky castle (cannot wait to see the giant Salazar Statue in the remake). But it's also much more difficult. There's a lot of confined space battles with a half dozen enemies which has really drained my health and ammo.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Flashbang grenades.

Yeah for some reason these little assholes take two flashbangs to kill. The "Axe" and "Sucker" plagas only take one to kill. If you flashbang the Face Huggers they detach from the body entirely and come after you. Better to hit them with the rifle while they're still anchored.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
TMP is cool for kneecapping enemies and shooting down treasures. But it is quite satisfying emptying a full clip into a floored ganado.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm currently on the army base and had my first knife fight with Krauser and am about to fight the U3 in the container cage (which is inside a cave for some reason). The army part of the game has felt so much more like a slog than the castle and village did.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Electromax posted:

Drew a pixelated view of Spencer Mansion based on REmake. Enemies not included.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1599126757809868802

I've played this game roughly every 18 months since 1997 and I was still confused by the second room you fight the Yawn. I've never played the GameCube remake.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Will the Resident Evil 4 remake on PS4 have any sort of online play? I haven't played an RE game since the original 4 on PS2 and I don't have any idea if the newer games can be played online. But it would be cool to play co-op online as Leon, Ada and Krauser etc.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Play the Director's Cut version and you get a Colt Python with infinite ammo for completing the game.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
So excited for the giant Salazar statue, suplexing cultists, an the bingo line.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Everything about the remake looks good, except the rain outside the church, which looks really tacky for some reason.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Where does the demo begin? Right at the beginning with the two police and do we get to go in the first ganado house?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the significance of Leon storing an extra round in the chamber of his pistol? Is it simply to give you an extra bullet or can he use it for some QCC instant kills?

I played as far as seeing the cop burn then turned it off because I was too scared lol

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I recently completed OG RE4 and the bolt action rifle was my favourite weapon. Upgraded it does the most damage of any weapon except the magnums.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://youtu.be/RAdiaENHWh0

I hope these are all in the remake.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The U3 boss fight was actually pretty easy. In fact, most Bosses seemed a lot easier, while some of the normal "levels" were difficult.

I beat Mendez by accidental getting him to glitch, his model couldn't walk around a steel beam in the warehouse. Apparently his AI is "tethered" to Leon and he walks in a straight line only.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is there a RE mod where you play as a zombie?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Started playing the full game last night. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm taking it slowly, I completed the first village section and then the blue medallion farm windmill part. I loved the fight with Pig Head and my harebrained scheme of making him chase me back down the windmill into the bomb trip wire failed when I myself ran into it too fast.

I also thought I could game the initial village section and not go into the shotgun house to activate Dr Salvador but he knew my scheme and came out anyway.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Okay I'm slowly making my way through the game and I'm at the first merchant. I've upgraded my case and purchased the rifle. I've completed the next part and picked up the hex emblem.

I'm back at the merchant and I'm just wondering which weapons (if any) I should be upgrading? I have enough spinels to purchase the Punisher but is it as useless as it is in the original? Should I upgrade the shotgun and handgun or wait until something better comes along? Ditto the knife, should I spend my money upgrading the combat knife or will a better one become available?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the general opinion on the bolt thrower?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I really enjoyed the expanded section between killing the lake monster and picking up the church key. There were some really creepy environments and visuals that reminded me of The Fog. The corpses of the two dead hikers were really unsettling, especially in a game like this, which the horror is generally quite cheesy.

I created a pretty scary moment for myself - after clearing the caves of Ganados, there was only one left throwing dynamite. I sniped him from a distance, taking his head out in one clean shot. However he plaga burst and slowly walked out of range and disappeared into the caves, leaving me wondering where the hell he was. This was all totally silent and a really creepy visual.

Picked up the Red 9, sold my first handgun, upgraded my shotgun and decided I did in fact need to purchase the flash grenade recipe.

What a brilliant game, it really does capture the spirit of the original gameplay-wise: every room full of enemies is a strategy puzzle on figuring out the most efficient way to clear it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
PS1 Resident Evil games have such a charm to them, I'd love to see a new one made in the same style. I know there's a bunch of fan ones on YouTube that are fun to watch.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hasn't this happened quite regularly? Japanese game developers ripping things directly from western movies? Like in the STARS office there's a bunch of pictures on the wall that are of celebrities or from American films.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What does everyone think of Code Veronica?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is the last boss in Code Veronica the first example of a first person weapon in RE?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I bought RE4 back in April and I've only just killed the Verdugo. I absolutely love this remake and I wish I had more time to play it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Disappointed by the lack of bemused Saddler on the codec to Leon, laughing every time Leon kills one of his minions. In fact, there's not a lot of Saddler in the game at all. He appears in the church early in the village and then not again until halfway through the Island.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
New Game+ on RE4R is so much fun. Blasting Ganados with the fully upgraded Red9 and Shotgun allowed me to sail through the village in under two hours - it's extremely satisfying taking out Brutes and Chainsaw guys with no difficulty. Plus Krauser's knife made short work of Gigante and the Garradors.

I'm saving up enough cash for the Infinity Launcher but I feel like I might not be able to afford it on this run. I'm already halfway through the castle and I've got 800k in the bank. I probably won't have enough until I get to the end of the island. Capcom have done a really great job of making the first play through difficult and scary, while making the second go seem like a theme park. I love this game.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Excellent, thank you for the tip.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah I'm definitely keeping my Red 9 and stock because it's been with me since I found it on the boat and it's probably my favourite weapon. I didn't even bother with the rifle, just use the Red 9 to take out enemies from a distance.

I didn't realise that New Game+ let's you start with all your upgraded weapons, so I sold everything right before the Saddler fight in order to upgrade my magnum to full strength. Lucky I saved before the fight so I could go back, kick his rear end and have the Red 9 from the beginning.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I was wondering what happened to the second verdugo during the first play through. Good to see some of the missing content from OG4 making a return here.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I finally got the Infinite Launcher just after completing the Ashley Knight segment. I sold my fully upgraded Red 9, Shotgun and Krauser knife to fund it. Also I got the 20% off token from the machine first time.

I definitely needed a sidearm to battle the Novistadors because trying to take down the flying ones at close range with the launcher just blows Leon up. I bought the Matilda because I didn't use it at all on my first play though (Red 9 FTW). I've enjoyed using it with the rapid fire but it's definitely more of a gimmick weapon.

I'm going to try and play the game on Professional next to get the Chicago Sweeper. Will I be able to use the Infinite Launcher? Does it count as a "bonus" weapon or not?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Speedrunning Professional with the Infinite Launcher has been so much fun. I nearly crapped my pants when there were two Knights waiting for me in the usually empty corridors after the Salazar fight.

E: Will we get a Luis Separate Ways campaign? Do we find out how he ended up wrapped in the sleeping bag in the basement? Plus he spends a lot of time running around the castle separately from Leon and Ashley after the villa segment.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 28, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why doesn't Wesker just go and get the amber himself, seeing as he's in the village and all.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah I know, I shouldn't expect an actual reason. His appearances in person feel quite jarring, but he's probably the most popular RE character so I guess giving him some real appearances should be expected.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How does the remake of RE1 from the GameCube hold up today? Does that really need a remake? I'd like to see Code Veronica remade first.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wesker always dies in the RE original. In the bad endings he gets shanked by the Tyrant. In the good endings he gets killed in the lab engine room by one of those ceiling hanging mantis creatures. It's easy to miss his body if you don't bother to return to the engine room though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Also the hex puzzle saves the previous moves so if you return to it, it's as you left it. This was especially annoying as the guides had a two move solution from the default setting that was essentially useless after my dumb rear end started messing with it.