Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Going whale watching tomorrow! :dance:

I'm planning to bring my 70-200 F4L with 1.4x TC. Do I need the TC? I mean whales are kinda big. Not terribly concerned about shooting at F5.6 - F8 because we'll be shooting around 1300-1400 on a bright sunny day.
Last time I went I had my 100-400 and most of my shots were between 300-400mm. All shots were like this:

If you're lucky enough to be around when they're jumping out of the water you probably won't need the TC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I've got a chance to go on a 4ish day safari in South Africa. My only big lens that I own is a 70-200 2.8 IS II. I'd like to rent something bigger but I'd like some advice. The safari will include both day and night trips into the wilds so I want a low f/. I'm thinking either a 400 or a 600, IS is probably a must. I just don't want to miss my one shot for an awesome shot of a South African animal and miss it with my 70-200.

How much difference is there between the 400 and 600? are there options I'm not considering? What about a 400 with an extender? Or my 70-200 with an extender?
From my own research into safaris I know that some locations you don't need much more than 200mm as the animals will come much closer, while other areas you need as much reach as you can get. I'm not sure about South Africa but it's possible that your 70-200 is the perfect lens already.

Renting an extender is probably your best option if you do need more reach. I've seen some great pictures taken with a 70-200 with a 1.4 or 2x extender.

A 600mm lens would be a significant burden if you're doing lots of traveling and the safari is just a side trip. It isn't something you can just toss in an existing camera bag, plus there is a technique to using it that takes some time to develop.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I assume the extender goes between the lens and camera, right? So taking it off in a 'hurry' or putting it on in one is not happening?
Correct.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

edit: so if I rented Canon 2.0x III Extender, which is about a hundred bucks for the timeframe I need it, that will work with my 7d body and 70-200 IS L lens, and the only real downside is only main autofocus point, right?
AF will be slower, image quality will suffer a bit, and I believe your lens will go from 2.8 to 5.6. Plus the centre-point AF limitation, which isn't too bad for wildlife anyway.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Too many non-squirrels on this page:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went for a cold walk yesterday, and as I was stalking a robin my camera's AF zoomed way past the bird onto this brown blob in the background:

I managed to sneak pretty close while he was eating until he finally got fed up with me and held this old dracula pose for about 30 seconds before swimming away:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Those teeth are weirding me out, were you making some post adjustments that caused that?
No adjustments. I thought for an animal that uses tree bark for dental floss they would have much whiter teeth.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kayaking + nature photography is just awesome. Here's how close my wife could get before the animal finally spooked:

Another shot:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

On a recent trip to the mountains I decided to get up at 5am and drive all the remote roads I could for a (very slim) chance to try and capture a cougar or grizzly bear. After 4 hours of driving and nothing but deer and elk I gave up. Then on the way home later in the day I see a young grizzly hanging out eating weeds:

These two were also happily hanging out on the road on my way home:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

These past few months have been completely poo poo for me photography-wise as I injured my rotator cuff badly enough that I couldn't lift a camera or kayak all summer. :(

I still can't use any long lenses but I was able to manage a Calgary Zoo visit at least:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm very envious. Was this a wild lizard? That's a great shot of a rare creature.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What better subject to test my new 70-200 on than the near-extinct squirrel and vole!

I'm so jealous of you guys who can go outside and find lizards and snakes.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Congratulations! You've captured the Jabba-the-hutt of Squirrels

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Time for a ridiculous deer pose:

Horrible shooting conditions unfortunately.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This was a first for me today:

Ermine / Short-tailed Weasel:

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Early morning deer run

Monach by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Survey by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Richmond12 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Richmond06 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr
As already said, these are incredible. I love the first two especially!

Ghost Cactus posted:

Handsome Goat is here to crash the deer party.

DSC_1377 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr
The framing is great on this guy. Great looking goat.

ExecuDork posted:

Bah! Eutherian mammals? Bah I say!

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 37 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 54 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 80 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 108 by Execudork, on Flickr

Seriously, though, some pretty frickin' great shots in this thread.
What's that in the second shot? It looks like some sort of hedge hog/porcupine hybrid.

I really envy the stuff you've been able to shoot over there. I'd be thrilled just being some place not covered in 2 feet of snow right now, never mind a variety of wildlife you can't see here at all. I hope you're not done with the pictures from over there yet.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Two moose in a snow-filled field with beautiful red bushes during golden hour and I can't get my camera out the car window because I have a monopod attached. :argh:

If this ever happens to any of you take my advice and get out of the car rather than trying to shoot out the window anyway and getting a whole bunch of shots like this:

This came out semi-decent at least

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I always love to open this thread when I see you post because you create some amazing images, but this is over the top. You couldn't get better body language out of a human model. Thirding the request for a tutorial.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Got ridiculously lucky yesterday when my wife noticed this badger running in the ditch beside the car. I'm outdoors a lot and this is the first badger I've ever seen in the wild. Through the excitement there was a bit of chaos resulting in some less-than-ideal pictures but thankfully he did turn to face us one last time before disappearing across a field.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

Has anyone mounted their dslr to a spotting scope? Specifically I have a D5100 and am going to be buying a spotting scope soon and want to use it to get long range video of some wildlife. Any suggestions ideas or examples of setups with any camera or scope?
I haven't personally, but I see lots of people who do it. If you search for "digiscoping" I'm sure you'll get tons of useful info.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Yesterday I watched a coyote hunting voles in nice early morning light. This guy was successful every time he leapt and offered several opportunities to capture him hunting. I'm kicking myself because I was shooting him with a paved road between us and the heat waves from the road killed all my other shots of the coyote mid-air. :(

This is the only one that turned out at all.

Jadeilyn posted:

Finally out shooting again. This was in Catalina State Park outside of Tucson. I was trying out my new 100mm 2.8 macro.

Regal Horned Lizard by jadeilyn, on Flickr

I didn't even see the ant when I took the shot and it is now almost my favorite part. I might bump the exposure on this one. I waffle between thinking that it's too dark and that it's fine.

Zebra-tailed Lizard by jadeilyn, on Flickr

American Lady? by jadeilyn, on Flickr

Plateau Fence Lizard by jadeilyn, on Flickr
Great stuff! That horned lizard is a cute little guy, the exposure looks ok to me.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 20, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm supremely jealous of your work Execudork. Keep the stories and pictures coming!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Graniteman posted:

I have a chance to take a 3-4 week vacation later this year and I'm interested in a wildlife photography focused trip. I am limited to mid-July until late September, but I can go anywhere in that time frame. Does anyone have recommendations for trips? I'm game for a guided tour / safari thing, or a self guided hiking (only moderate difficulty hiking though, I'm not a hardcore hiker). Anywhere in the world is fine. I'm thinking about something like madagascar, or the galapagos, or maybe an African safari thing. I don't really have a budget in mind, but several thousand bucks is fine.

Has anyone worked with one of these photographer-led tours? I'm really only interested in a tour that will get me to the animals and not any sort of photography workshop, though I guess I'm not opposed to a workshop if anyone has been to a great one.
My wife and I are off to Africa in August with http://www.cheesemans.com/index.html. You are going to pay through the nose if you want a photography-focused trip to places like Africa. I think your three choices are: 1. pay through the nose for a photography-specific safari, 2. cheap out and get sandwhiched like a sardine with a normal safari, 3. try to arrange something yourself by hiring a guide and arranging your own travel and accommodations (most likely to be robbed and killed scenario).

I guess if you aren't planning on lugging big lenses around the sardine aspect of a normal safari (where they can seat 9 per vehicle) probably isn't such a big deal, but with an outfit like Cheesemans they make sure you're out at the animals for morning light and don't come back until the sun goes down. I would hate to travel to Africa and be stuck with a group of old people who, once they get their ipad shot of a Cheetah, want to move on so they can make afternoon tea.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went to Jasper for the day and saw a good cross-section of wildlife:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I love seeing your name pop up on this thread because it means more fantastic photos.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Just back from an awesome 14-day safari in Kenya. I had plans to edit a bunch of shots today but I can barely keep my eyes open, so for now here's a fun shot:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Shamelessly pimping my video of a crazy Wildebeest migration I got to see in Kenya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbbfGxunF0

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Toolik-arctic-ground-squrrel 1742 on Flickr

These guys are rarer and shier than I expected, probably because of the fox from my last post.
This is a great shot!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I apologise in advance for spamming all my safari photos. If I don't process them now I know from experience they will sit collecting (digital) dust.

I converted this one to B&W to try and counteract the brutal light and heat distortion.

Beautiful.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've slowly been working through a few more safari photos.

ExecuDork posted:

When the little bastards steal your boots you can get pretty tired of them.
Awesome fox photos. Too bad you don't have a shot of them taking off with your boots.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I don't remember if I've posted this picture from last summer before. Here's a shot of an Arctic Fox stealing a cookie.
Visits from a fox 8 by Execudork, on Flickr
Haha, what little bastards. My dad used to play on a golf course that was famous for its fox that would grab your golf ball right off the fairway, but I imagine that behaviour loses its charm when you start losing vital pieces of gear and food.

Completely unrelated and far less cute -- here's a sequence of shots my wife and I took of a zebra/crocodile river encounter. Photo conditions weren't exactly ideal, but you can't really plan for this stuff.

I'm going to spoiler the graphic shots.

Time to cross the river

Uh oh

Oh whew, they got away in time

"Hey guys, those two made it across, it must be safe."

Uh oh

He escaped!

...but probably not a happy ending :(

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I know I'm just shamelessly spamming Kenya photos but I've still got so many to go through and if I don't post them now I'm likely to forget about it.

Here's a sequence from the dramatic river crossing we saw. There's also a video I made of the crossing that I posted earlier but I'll put another link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbbfGxunF0

Not sure if this works that well, but a slower shutter version of above

Other dangers apart from just jumping or drowning

The aftermath, on the other side of the river

Kenshin posted:

I don't know why I seem to mostly post dragonflies in here but this one was too drat pretty not to post:

I went for a walk this past weekend and came back with a pile of dragonfly shots as well, but none as nice as this. I love the eyes! What kind of lighting did you use, if any?

Fart Amplifier posted:

Did not zoom with feet, did not get mauled

This is awesome.

Moon Potato posted:

Some more otters and elk from Humboldt County
The otters seem really dark to me (glare from the water messing with your metering?) The elk is gorgeous though!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some more big cats from Kenya

Beautiful photo, and holy poo poo look at the size of those front paws!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Goddam. Never, ever stop. Go on another trip, as soon as you can.
I'm glad you guys like them, since I have a lot more to go through (and I'm not going to delete any of them :colbert:)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's some more lion shots. I had a hard time with the processing on these as the light changes so rapidly in the morning in Africa. Let me know if there's anything that stands out as particularly garish.

This is a big crop, and it shows, but how often do get get a lion hug

Some great recent squirrel shots...
Holy poo poo

Alpenglow posted:

Gonna have to go look for some elk this week! Rad shots of antlered things all around.

This was the only worthwhile wildlife shot from my week backpacking trip, but I'm very happy to finally have a pika photo. The little dudes seemed to be doing very well this year despite the drought. :3:

Friendly Pika by Icybacon, on Flickr with standard oversharpening :pcgaming:
What an awesome shot! I've been trying to find one who will pose for me but they are super skittish (for good reason I guess).

Moon Potato posted:

Good. Keep posting :munch:

More Roosevelt elk from this weekend:

elk-fog by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There were three bachelor bulls near the mouth of Fern Canyon. Two of them were very large and were bugling at each other from a distance. The third, smaller one was between the other two and wanted nothing to do with either of them. It slunk away whenever it sounded like the others were getting closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPsQ3vrEMY
I love the elk photo. I would have been pretty nervous to be wandering around during the elk rut in that fog. Nice video too...I'd love to find them calling, and have gone out of a couple of times with that goal, but no luck so far.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Trying to motivate myself to process more of my Kenya photos.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rhino with lots of friends

This is from a page or two ago but just wanted to say I really love this shot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is gorgeous.

quote:

I like the B&W treatment on this, but I'd experiment with cloning out the wildebeest. The cape buffalo has got a great stance/expression and I think it would work great alone in the shot.

quote:

Agreeing with Dreadhead regarding this shot. I think you could do a 16x9 crop without the sky and it would look pretty good.

Keep them coming!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

William T. Hornaday posted:

I'm not entirely convinced the processing doesn't come across looking like some lovely hack job, but I'm don't feel like spending any more time on it. So, yeah.

Chimpanzee by William T Hornaday, on Flickr
I'm entirely convinced the processing is awesome. Whatever you're doing keep it up because this is an amazing portrait.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elephants:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some more from Kenya

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Why is everybody dogging on that bear shot? Its dope as gently caress. Who gives a poo poo about a watermark.
I think it's an amazing shot and would be hanging it on my wall with pride if it were mine. The watermark is very distracting though and an easy thing to fixate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

More Kenya spam

Hyenas got the tip of this poor elephant's trunk :( She seemed to be doing ok without it thankfully.