Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pope Guilty posted:

Bringing back Upchurch will cancel the book anyway after a huge chunk of the fanbase straight up abandons it.

I already canceled my Comixology subscription when I heard the news yesterday. They're not getting any more of my money, at least.

Gaz-L posted:

IDW should grab John Rogers and hire Fowler to do a new Fell's Five miniseries. Strike while the iron is hot.

OK, I just want a pay off for the tiefling warlock's storyline from that book, alright?!

Is John Rogers even doing anything right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Action Jacktion posted:

Avatar acknowledged the error and said the next chapter will be in the next issue. No refunds or anything, I guess.

That sucks, they could at least print the next chapter online for free to make up for it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

krakagar posted:

I am pretty excited that Uber is back. It was mainly just words explaining exactly what the current situation is but I'm fine with that. Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out (my guess? Terribly for absolutely everyone)

Yeah, that was a lot of words, but it's the introduction to an arc, technically it's a first issue, etc. That said, I liked the Oval Office briefing scenes and how Truman was presented. I'd have liked some Russia in there, but I know the arc isn't focused on that so I doubt we'll be seeing the Eastern Front again any time soon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BigglesSWE posted:

Some good stuff there, thanks!

It pleases me to know that them überspies won't show up again. I felt they were too good to be true, and I couldn't see how any side that had a bountyful source of them could ultimately lose.

Well yeah, they had 3 of them, and they're all accounted for by the end of the first volume. One dies in a suicide attack on the breeder reactors for atomic bomb production. One gets captured and presumably eliminated by the British once they finish squeezing every last drop of intel out of him they can manage. Then the last one get killed by, of all people, General Patton. It's kind of weird to have an actual historical figure be catalyst sensitive, but they wrote themselves into a corner there otherwise.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

site posted:

I went ahead and read uber over the weekend and it's a great book as long as you can tolerate how depressing it is

Like i realize she's a Nazi and therefore bad but my feels go out to klaudia

Maria is the best though, it's gonna suck when she dies

^^^^ Patton surviving and being crystal sensitive is lame cuz that guy was the loving worst, although this is a world where only the worst possible situation ever occurs so maybe that's the point

The thing about the Uber Battleships is that aside from Siegfried they're at least somewhat sympathetic. In any other timeline they'd live quiet lives as ordinary Germans and then die some time after the war (well Klaudia would probably die in the bombings). This isn't that timeline though. Siegfried is the only outlier, as he unlike the other two is a true dyed in the wool Nazi. He was raised on a harsh ideology of nationalism and antisemitism and clearly bought into it wholesale.

The other two, you can tell they don't condone the actions the Reich has taken, I mean one of them murders Hitler! But they, like a lot of real German soldiers, don't see any way out and just keep following orders. So feel free to have the feels for now, just remember that when the end comes, and it will eventually, that their hands are so steeped in blood it would fill an ocean.

I do agree that Maria is great, and I don't think things will turn out as well as Stalin thinks they will. Won't be seeing Russia for a few issues though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

I'm familiar with Turing. Given the burdens we see on the Ubers I don't think being made into an Uber in order to facilitate the war effort is really much of a happy ending.

Yeah we still don't know what the long term effects of being transformed into a human weapon are, if any. It's pretty clear that the transformation is irreversible, or else they would have shut down Leah and tried again in their attempts to physical stack HMS Churchill with a different approach once they decoded the process that got them Dunkirk. I doubt the long term health problems of having your skin, bones, and organs forced to change and grow under the influence of an alien material are anything slight, especially when you consider what happens when things go wrong.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

site posted:

I can't remember who suggested lumberjanes but it owns so ty

Agreed. I haven't read up to the latest issue, but what I have read has been phenomenal.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gaz-L posted:

That's... sort of the point of pull-lists? You're asking the store to keep track of that for you so you can just go in and pick up the things you already know you like, and can still grab new stuff off the shelves. You know it doesn't prevent you buying stuff NOT on your list, right?

zoux posted:

I basically buy all my Image titles once a year during a big comixology sale and catch up all at once.

These are both good approaches. If you prefer digital (or just don't have a comics store around) but want to get things as they come out Comixology also does subscriptions where when a new issue arrives they email you a week in advance (so you can cancel if you change your mind) and then charge your card and put it in your library.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out. Basically making Boston into a Hiroshima commentary, and setting up the general plan for the Americans in the upcoming issues. Was more tactful than I'd thought.

Made me sick to my stomach to read... but that was the point. Ubers are nuclear weapon analogs, and the destruction they wreck should be horrifying and sickening, but not for its own sake.

An appropriately haunting issue.

The American plan from this point forward reminds me of the proposals to invade the Japanese home islands if the atomic bombs hadn't worked. A lot of men are probably going to die repelling this invasion.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In materials, manufacturing capacity, and just straight number of people the Germans are out of their league. The only advantage they have at this point is that they got human enhancement technology first and actually waited to unleash it at a point where it could turn the tide. Without Battleships this would be similar to regular warfare, just more bloody, basically the fighting would be similar to what happened in Uber's Okinawa. It's the presence of the three German Battleships that has destroyed all balance. Their mounting injuries is making them increasingly less relevant, and certainly less capable of defeating a fresh Allied assault.

Once the Allies manage to complete more than one Battleship and field them against the Nazis, the war is all but over except for the screaming. I wouldn't be surprised though if Russia levels the rest of Europe in the process.

That is, unless something really weird happens that I suspect is coming later this series. aliens, it's got to be aliens

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

scuba school sucks posted:

Yeah they're definitely testing us. They gave us the technology to create a Utopia, and we used it to make war even more horrific and gruesome. All those monologues that sound like historical accounts, the last issue we'll find out that it's all testimony at the Trial of the Human Race.

Oh certainly, enhanced humans could easily save lives. Even with the basic enhancement they'd be invaluable in construction, disaster relief, and exploration. A Battleship class, with their greatly upgraded Halo effect in scope, is nearly unlimited in their potential for good. We've seen them turn dirt into food, shape flesh, and transform air into steel. While most of the more extreme effects are Maria, there's been nothing to show that these effects aren't possible at a smaller scale by other users of the Halo Effect.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's definitely something with enhancile technology gone wrong, it has the hallmark signs, the striated flesh, the distorted anatomy, the color is off from what we usually get but it's certainly unnatural. My guess here is either Battleship Zero (the official name for the abomination) has mutated itself further in response to some kind of stimulus, this is another failure in stacking technology (perhaps this a Blitzmensch gone wrong, they look somewhat inhuman even when everything goes right), or somebody deliberately set out to make a monster using the Halo Effect on a person.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

Do they? Maria is vastly skewed towards blitz and looks pretty much the same as she did before except for maybe growing a couple of inches.

We don't completely understand how the catalyst works. We know it can do something to a person that gives them the ability to manipulate matter and energy by looking at it in a specific way (I say manipulate because so far we've seen no evidence that the Distortion Halo actually creates energy or matter from nothing, it probably draws on the body's chemical energy reserves in some way as well as the target). We also know it can cause massive growth and fundamentally change human anatomy to accommodate that growth to an extent. Finally, we know that if you combine these two things something completely different happens and what you get is a human who is bigger, stronger, and tougher while still looking completely human, if an idealized version, as well as retaining the ability to kill with a stare.

My current working theory as to what is going on when you don't perform pure stacking on a subject is that the Halo makes the physical transformations more, I was going to say efficient but that's not really it. Since the science of the time isn't up to it I doubt we'll know, but I'm guessing that catalyst enhanced humans with at least one activation of Distortion Halo Effect have bodies that are actually different on a molecular or even atomic level than they were before exposure, while those without must make do with the limitations of actual biology.

Compare the Dunkirk to the Churchill. Dunkirk was an experimental stack of 5/1 and aside from his old WWI scars he looked like an ordinary human while still being able to fight as well as someone with 6 strength activations (as long as it doesn't turn into a staring match). Churchill, meanwhile, was an unfortunate with around 20+ strength only activations and her bones weren't even really capable of supporting her vastly increased mass (they mentioned at least once that running required her to break her own legs). We'll never know what would have happened if they kept activating her, but I doubt it would have been pretty, or pleasant to be. There's even a chance that the physical changes involved in trying to activate purely physically past a certain point would have just killed her.

What does this mean for Maria? Well, first off, she probably only has a few strength activations. She's definitely taller, stronger, and in better shape than she was during the Battle of Berlin, so that means she has at least one strength activation. However, her Distortion Halo is leagues beyond anyone else's in scope, so I'm assuming she only has, let's say two strength activations, and she's definitely fully activated. We saw her take the catalyst and have no reaction, that's the sign of a full activation. This gives her something like a 2/22 mix if my assumptions are correct (although going as far as 6/18 is probably more plausible, we just plain don't know Maria's physical strength). Now, if it turns out Maria was something even more insane than a Battleship potential with their 24 activation limit, she'd make a nuclear bomb look like a children's toy.

Either way, single stacking seems to lead to bad things for human anatomy. We still don't know what the Blitzmensch look like under their armor, but from what we've seen they're fairly emaciated and their proportions don't look quite right (while I would normally chalk that up to artist error, it's been consistent), this is probably due to higher energy requirements not being offset by a more efficient metabolism. We know Heavy Tankmen are ridiculously oversized and their bodies are weak in specific ways that no one has been able to fix yet.

In short, it seems that mixing the two activation types is the only way to end up with a human looking enhanced individual at the end, the amount doesn't seem to matter, but going all in on one or the other just gets you a freak.

site posted:

It feels so long ago since i read the series but wasnt there a whole dungeon full of failed mutates?

I'm not remembering any live ones, but Sankt certainly had failures before he had successes. The early issues have a bunch of scenes of the aftermath of failed activations, mostly of candidates that aren't sensitive, and they were pretty gruesome.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The amount of catalyst used in a test definitely matters. A small amount produces a noticeable explosion and residue or simply kills the subject extremely painfully if exposed directly. A large amount, if the other indicators are anything to go by, produces a large explosion or liquefies the subject if exposed directly.

As one of the Soviets mentioned, the catalyst would make a superlative chemical weapon if it didn't break down so quickly. Use it on an enemy population and everyone it doesn't kill will be so weak from being activated that you can mop them up at your leisure.

Mr Gillen mentioned at one point that the initial activation actually does nothing, it merely shows that you can survive subsequent ones. If it does anything, it's basically primer for the subsequent activation's paint.

In this instance I can't speak specifically about Maria, because I am exhausted and do not remember the issue where she was tested to compare their apparatus to the ones the other Allies use.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The majority of webcomics are astoundingly awful. I have read precisely one print comic that even managed to approach the depths I've seen webcomics sink to, and it was Mark Millar's The Unfunnies (do not read The Unfunnies). There are a few good webcomics like Achewood, Cucumber Quest, Unsounded, Gunnerkrigg Court, etc, and they tend to get a lot of play, but the general fervor over webcomics died when everyone realized they were 99% garbage.

Yes, webcomics are bad. There are a very few exceptions notable for their art, story, or sometimes both. The overwhelming majority wouldn't be able to get any kind of publishing deal. The ones that do are usually worth following.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dr. Hurt posted:

Webcomic Talk:
Kill Six Billion Demons is cool as hell and the amount of effort the artist puts into it is out of sight.

Coincidentally enough, Kill Six Billion Demons is partially collected in an Image trade (comic is ongoing). I still need to buy a copy so I can share it with people who won't read digital comics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Roth posted:

Didn't realize Sex Criminals was starting back up again, so I picked that up along with the new Manifest Destiny today.

Yeah it surprised me too. Still good too.

In other news apparently there are going to be delays on the back half of Uber: Invasion, but only a month or two at a time. The bright side is it means consistent art, as the breaks are for Daniel Gete to handle his schedule.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

site posted:

Reflecting on it since you guys brought it up I find it a little weird myself, but while i get super mad at like Steve cap at marvel i don't really have a problem reading a book about super Nazis

I think the big differences are the setting and tone. The Cap stuff is just so wrong for a bunch of bad reasons while Uber continually reminds you that war is hell.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uber Invasion #4 covers what happened in Britain and how Turing and Steph got to the US, where Leah is. No pushing of the timeline.

Well uh, yeah. A little girl battleship candidate. This should be horrible.

Yeah that was a brutal chapter. This has been a rough volume so far.

I am wondering just what it was that Turing discovered, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought Leah had a few activations left and Steph lied and claimed she was fully activated to prevent further crippling her.

TK is my bet, but the power could be flight, affecting only the skeleton. :haw:

No they shut her down early with a special dose. Additional doses of the catalyst would do nothing to her now, or worse, kill her.

I have no idea what kind of power this new formulation is going to give at this point.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shovelmint posted:

Are Rat Queen artists like Spinal Tap drummers? I'm not familiar with the curse. I've only read the first trade, and the first two issues of the new series, I maybe just picked them up because they were in the beginning of that badass panels thread?

I decided to just stop reading Rat Queens when they went on their lengthy hiatus because of poo poo like this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

krakagar posted:

It's amazing, but can be pretty dense with the references in the first volume. None of it should make it impossible to understand the story, for the most part though (though there's one part in the first volume that's confusing even with a thorough understanding of 90s britpop).Gillen himself suggests that new readers start with volume 2, which is probably a good idea. It's all great, IMO, but then again I'm probably exactly the target audience. There is also a handy glossary in each volume.

It's also great to see the evolution of Gillen and McKelvies work together through volumes 1-3. I'm pretty pumped to buy the complete edition and see volume 1 in colour.

Wait, they went back and colored volume 1? I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing. Still putting it on my 'to buy' list.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also despite Leah on the cover, she's not in it at all! Fakeout!

The covers this arc were deliberately chosen to have nothing to do with the issue contents. That said, the payoff for Okinawa was amazing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

Uber Invasion 6 talk: Patton is loving hilarious. My understanding is this depiction has a fair basis in reality, yet his attitude still comes across as cartoonishly grandiose. I hope he's planning to decapitate or cripple what little industry Germany has left rather than a terror attack; I'd like the Allies to maintain at least some moral superiority.

Yeah that Patton is spot on from my understanding. I'm not entirely sure what he's going to do with the Alps, but my guess is he's going to take as many tank men as they've got and try for a decapitation strike of some sort, possibly using the snow as cover, or maybe he wants to see if a Battleship can survive an avalanche...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gaz-L posted:

Ryan North's run on Jughead is very similar to his Squirrel Girl stuff, and Erica Henderson did the pencils for Chip Zdarsky's earlier issues. And Giant Days feels very tonally similar to Squirrel Girl, with the university setting and disparate group of slightly cartoonish in personality as well as imagery misfits.

Yeah I totally recommend Giant Days if you're doing the offer, it's good college life comics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

i imagine battleship heavies like leah might be a good way to deal with zephyrs. seems doubtful they'd be able to crack any part of a superheavy without strength or halo.

If they can work out the mix so they have the size without the side effects a superheavy would be immune to drat near anything. Also just holy poo poo at the implications of zephyrs on the battlefield even outside of taking out battleships. With their speed they could slip past enemy lines, steal intelligence and light equipment, assassinate unenhanced targets with ease. It's like having a drone that really does only hit one target. I can't even imagine what kind of speed a Battleship stack zephyr load would have. Enough to phase through matter? Fast enough to strike a battleship in both eyes and then get clear of the blast with time to spare?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dimensional Shenanigans were going on in canon Invincible at the time, which was how they fit MTU into the storyline.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, if that's what you've latched onto as objectionable in Invincible you should definitely bail now, because there's always more and it's always worse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah and again nobody is sure why.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

Finally got Uber Invasion 9. drat that was good.

Also never thought I'd say it but that poor Nazi bastard.

It was nice to have some catharsis. Although Italy is probably doomed.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It came out physical and should be out digital next week in the normal places.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm not sure just yet but Blackbird, Death or Glory, Farmhand, and maybe Leviathan.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gaz-L posted:

Wait... does that mean you could, say write a book for Vertigo as long as it was a pure horror/sci-fi/crime thing while under exclusive to Marvel?

Under Chip's contract, yes, but they'd probably raise unholy hell over at Marvel if you ran it by them first (like you'd have to).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m so loving ready to be really hyped or really mad.

Or both, as has happened before

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aww man, I love Giant Days :smith:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's on hiatus due to health issues. It's unlikely Vagabond will ever finish.

Edit: he got better he's just not working on Vagabond.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 8, 2020

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why is it always oWoD? Why can't we get the far superior nWoD?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering Avatar unceremoniously killed the series, we're not getting an ending because they own the IP.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Especially not IDW comics, their distribution is a fraction of the Big Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They never did trades on comixology for some reason, only singles.