Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I haven't read Wet Moon, but I've got a few friends who love it.

For anyone not swayed by the conversation here, we reviewed Glory over at Comics Bulletin.

I'm really surprised we don't have more chatter over the book here. I loved it, but I was weirded out by the puffy babyfaces every now and again. Outside of the that, I love the art and the story did not go in the direction I thought it would. Both Glory and Prophet have really hit it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
God drat, is Prophet a weird loving book. I cannot wait until there's a few more issues in the can and I can read them straight through. This is wonderful.

Did anyone pick up Rebel Blood? I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on it. It seemed disjointed but held my interest.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That is one of the best parts about the new series. I have no idea where it is going to go from here. Not something i can say about many other series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The thing to remember, is that he's writing it in Howard's style. If you've ever read the originals (btw, pick up the Centenary Edition on Amazon) you'll notice the similarities.

But yes, the art is gorgeous. This is the best Conan has been since Buesik left it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read Red Sonja so I can't. Really compare the two. The action, though, is only ahalf the reason i read Conan, so i feel that Wood is nailing it. That said, Totally understand where you're coming from.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I still have no loving idea what is going on in Prophet, but it just keeps getting better.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Just picked it up. It was my intro to the series...and holy hell. What have I gotten myself into? This stuff is amazing.

EDIT: It's like the deep, disorienting sci-fi you'd see in the 60s and 70s. Almost Herbert-esque.

Something magical. There's no way to really explain this barrage of crazy sci-fi concepts being blasted at you.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Isn't this a character originally created by Liefeld?!!

So is Glory, which also just received a really interesting makeover.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Really? Oh goody, more new old stock Moore to track down! :dance:
Do you mean the last issue that was published way back then (the Jack Kirby tribute), or the storyline that was under way when the title was cancelled (the Supremacy vs. Daxia götterdammerung)? If the former, great, it'll be nice to see again. If the latter...well, I'm not terribly fond of that kind of cast of thousands all bashing each other story, so it depends on how much awesome Moore-ness there is versus how much not-so-Awesome Comics-ness.
My gut reaction is "How crass!" On further reflection, since Moore's added characters were part and parcel of his extended hommage to Silver Age Superman zaniness, I guess it makes sense that a new team taking the character in a new direction would discard the artifacts of the old regime. Mind, I didn't give a crap about Supreme before Moore worked his pagan magicks on it, and I'm unlikely to give a crap about it now.

I flipped through the Supreme at the store when it came out because, hey, Alan Moore! Nothing about it grabbed me and I put it back.

However, I was happy with Bloodstrike. It's more of a traditional superhero book than either Glory or Prophet, but has some silly, off the wall sci-fi concepts. It's about a team of mercenaries that are all resurrected/cannot die being deployed against other undead threats.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35891

This was the preview that prompted me to pick the book. Again, it's nowhere near as experimental as Glory/Prohpet, but the one issue I read was really solid fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dickeye posted:

If it's like every other Robert Kirkman book it has characters that sound exactly alike, a cool-ish idea, and terrible execution.

Whatever happened to that book with Macfarlane? The one with the guy that looked like he shot jizz out of his hands?

Creative differences.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You should probably go to the recommendation thread, but check out Preacher and Transmetropolitan.

Both are now complete and were two of the books that brought me back into comics as an adult.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It is, Benny posted in the wrong thread.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Planetoid #2 was another great issue. Definitely recommending it. A mix of Conan and sci fi pulp.

I have not heard of this, can you elaborate?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah....

I'm gonna have to go find this now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

petewhitley posted:

Man I love the art in Manhattan Projects, I would even say it adds to the story more than anything Hickman has done. A lot of times I feel his writing is "out there" while the artwork is standard to sub-standard (on some of his more independent stuff). That might be an unpopular opinion, but it seems like the perfect fit for his off-kilter style IMO.

Oh I agree, the art is perfect. Everything is recognizable, has a distinct personality but still feels just a bit "off". The art gives me a tiny tickle of unease as I read the book and that matches the tone of the story wonderfully.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love How they're developing the relationship between Conan and Belit in Conan. As a fat, goony, internet male, I cannot help but to sigh wistfully and mummer, "How romantic."

Seriously, though. In the Howard stories we only knew they were match because we were told. Here, we're shown how much they're in love, the tiny sacrifices they make for each other as well as the large and I actually buy it. It's now about more than two people drawn together cuz they like killing poo poo. Both characters are getting really humanized by this relationship. I love it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pugnax posted:

I can't quote this hard enough. Matt Kindt is kicking rear end left and right (his guest stuff in Sweet Tooth was awesome too).

I'm also thoroughly enjoying Fatale, The Massive, the new Brian Wood Conan series, and oddly enough Alabaster: Wolves.

I love Fatale but, for some reason, I never want to read it. It always sits, unread, for about a week. I'm totally engrossed everytime I finally read the book and have never put it down unsatisfied, but there's just something about it that makes me not want to read it.

\/\/\/I think you nailed it.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 18, 2012

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I felt the same way. If it weren't for the good will I have towards Wood, I don't know I'd continue reading. The book has potential, but it needs to pick things up a bit.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

:( I'm a die hard Conan fan and I don't think the misogyny was ever any fun. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this comic super gory in its own right?

I was always a Conan fan, despite never having read many of the Howard originals or the comics. So when the Centenary Edition came out a few years back the extreme casual racism and misogyny was a huge shocker. Wood's Conan is everything I want from a Conan story. It's true to the spirit of Howard but without the backwards attitudes of that day and age.

EDIT: Totally forgot why I clicked this thread to begin with! Gillen's Uber is out. It is great and sets up a very chilling take on WW2+powers.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 16, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even though there is a continuity, each arc is written well enough that you could pretty much start with any one of them. Obviously it is going to be more fulfilling to start with his #1.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Do you mean Lazarus? The same team that I believe was on Gotham Central? Yes, yes I did and it was fantastic.

Oh my, this is an understatement. Great, great book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

I just took a leap of faith last night and bought them all on sale on comixology. Yeah they're good. Kinda dark twisted sexual psychedelic space fantasy.

I got Herobear And The Kid Special #1 by Boom studios a few weeks ago, and I thought it was really really really really great. It's sort of a kid's comic in the way that Calvin and Hobbes was a kids comic.

Also I bought the first issues of Sex from Image. I didn't like it, mainly because I don't know why I should care about the main character and what the plot is. But it looks good, and I like a superhero on saturn story (or wherever it's set) but there just isn't a plot there for me right now.

edit: Also, is Fatale as great as it looks? And where is the best starting point? The beginning?

I've stopped reading Fatale, but it is consistently excellent. It reads better in one sitting than in monthlies, which is what killed the series for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Three is great, but does anyone know if you can get the comixology reader to to flip the pages 90 degrees? My laptop is my digital reader, so flipping it on the side and reading like that is much easier than reading small double page spread or having to move the page the around with the mouse on full screen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

Is anyone else reading Rachel Rising? I think it's pretty cool. Sort of slow burning but it's really starting to pick up. And it looks pretty.

Yeah, I've been reading it ever sicne that Gender in Comics online course from this spring assigned it. It is great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Revival isn't as good as Rachel Rising, but it's interesting and has kept me reading since launch.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The only one I have an opinion on is their Miss Fury book that I got because I was curious. I only read the first issue but her characterization seemed to end at "I AM REALLY ANGRY BUT ALSO SEXY" and I was like "this is really bad and stupid."

A lot of people I respect are writing some of them though. I know Phil Hester wrote/is writing a few. I bet those are good.

Yeah. I want to like all those pulp series because pulp heroes are the best, but each one has been somewhat boring. More of a standard superhero action/drama book that the purple prose and over the top or noirish type of book I went in expecting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I like Revival quite a bit, but I have a lot of time for Tim Seeley. He's reined in a lot of his more irritating habits from Hack/Slash and Witchblade and the result's very readable.

Holy poo poo, this is the same write as Hack/Slash?

Yeah, immense improvement. There's a book I should have loved, but just could not get into.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else pick up Amy Reeder's Rocket Girl last week? I just finally got around to reading it and it's really not what I expected. Good stuff, lots of interesting questions raised (why is the future police department composed of children, being a main one). The art is, of course, gorgeous.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Velvet was soooooooooooo good. It scratched an itch for spy fiction that I didn't even knew I had.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

onefish posted:

Comixology adds enough value with guided view *plus* the regular sales *plus* all the stuff in one place that I buy from them, too. I also wish I had the integrity to buy direct from Image and support DRM-free : / (though I also wish Image would do equivalent sales on their stuff every time Comixology does, which I don't think they do?)

Is there a way to rotate the page viewer on Comixology? I like flipping my laptop on its side to read like a book, but with the Comixology viewer, I'm stuck dragging the page around with my mouse.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I apparently missed the start of God is Dead and grabbed the first three issues all at once and really liked it. Even if their idea of what the West Hyattsville Metro Station looks like has literally no basis in reality.

I'm iffy on God is Dead. Things are finally picking up, but I think I may end up trade waiting on it, except I do not what the trade policy is like for that company.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

onefish posted:

Also, Umbral was quite good in a lot of ways (really neat art, pretty cool worldbuilding), but the writer/artist team seem to be slightly less polished about comics storytelling methods than my actual favorite writers. A few panel transitions where it's impossible to figure out exactly what's happening, etc. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Spoiler for the end of Umbral #1: Like, the final page was a biggie. Where did that monster come from? Where is it in relation to the characters or the building? Jinglefingers didn't turn INTO it, right? Etc. There are other examples, but that's what I remember.

Oh, and also the framing device: "When the bards sing songs of my life, they won't mention this part, the part where I fell into the Umbral and couldn't get out." Well, no, they would, it's going to be the primary adventure of your life, right? If it didn't happen to you, the bards would have no reason to sing about you at all; you were a petty thief. It's a little annoying to me when creative teams don't bother to *think* for a minute after writing something. But I'll still pick up 2, because I like the dark fantasy world and there's no other comic I can think of doing that sorta thing right now.

I read based on what you wrote and found it very interesting. I like weird fantasy settings so it has that going for it. The art is pretty murky in places, but I didn't find it detracting. Interested in where it goes next.

I also read Manifest Destiny. Gorgeous art, fun alt-history supernatural goodness.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

asylum years posted:

It's weird that so many people have that experience, right? I remember finding a big box like that as a kid, too.

I wonder if it still happens now, what with the internet and all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

In other news, it appears that Nonplayer #2 is almost ready. Anyone remembers Nonplayer?

Don't you loving tease me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

I'm not much of a variant person, especially variants that feature real pictures on the cover but I think I need the fourth print cover of Sex Criminals.

It's just so amazing. From the picture of the two of them holding a copy of the book in an awkward prom photo to crossing out "and Inhuman" on the creator blurb, it's fantastic.

I am seriously going to buy this even though I already have it. I haven't done that since the 90's.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robot Wendigo posted:

Finally got around to reading Velvet last night. Adored it. The premise, the entire Seventies spy atmosphere, the beautiful detail of Epting's art, all of it was wonderful. This is a movie I wish Duncan Jones would make.

As far as I'm concerned, Brubaker can do no wrong when he's writing crime/spy stuff.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else been reading Hickman's Secret? I had forgetten about it since it went on hiatus for, like, half a year, but issue four came out a last week and I finally dug out the previous issues to refresh myself. It's some nice spy fiction on par with Brubaker.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else grab Deadly Class by Rememnder? Harry Potter except assassins. Art is gorgeous and there's an interesting essay in the back about Rememnder's childhood and how it relates to the book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I'm actually enjoying it now, was told to give it another try after Hickman's arc ended and the new stuff is readable!

Same here. I was ready to drop. Hadn't ralized that Hickman left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I'm staying on board this trainwreck until it stops burning. This is wonderfully bad.