Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Not to detract from you folks' live experience but is anyone playing Uthgard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

A few goons and I play on Mid side Uthgard. We're the guild <Get the Candy>.

Ah. Awesome, I'm currently playing on Alb side. 49 friar. Been wanting to make a Mid but don't want to be a dirty relic hopper.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Mind if I add you guys as an Uthgard reference in the Current Players section? Or anyone else who would like to be listed for Uthgard goons!

Feel free to add me on there. Inimical, Albion side. Not in a Goon Guild, but a lovely large friendly one. <Warlords of Albion>

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'm going to be hitting up Live here soon. (Burnt out on Uthgard)

Should I abuse trial accounts and run a farm train in the 40-44 BG? 250g per run iirc. Multiplied by 5-6 clients, it's a lot of work but decent cash flow. Or can someone set me up on Hib? Even a low end template is ridiculously expensive.

Thinking of making a Hero or a caster. What would you guys recommend?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

If you were going to do a farming train type deal you're better off doing glass quests, with speed and dps you can do all 4 stygia quests in about 15 minutes and its about 900g per person for all 4. So 5.4p per run if you do 6 clients.

Nice. Didn't know about those. Thanks for the tip.

Was probably going to go bard, druid, and a bunch of pbaoe. Would that be effective for those quests? Not sure what they have you do.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

keeb posted:

Can anyone help me out with an easily obtainable Spiritmaster template? Daoctemplates is no longer maintained, and vn is crap since the revamp.

I don't mind farming glass, but scales are super annoying because everyone in the group doesn't get the item at the same time, and you get the random gank squad now and then.

Oh and hi Pringles! Do you still have those old TPG rvr videos? I always liked them and wouldn't mind watching them again.

Oh hey, Keeb! Long time no see. I think I lost your AIM name.

I've looked high and low for those videos, I can't find them. I believe they are lost. I've tried getting in contact with Divon, but can't find him. Only thing I managed to scrounge up was an old screenshot of deathspam from us rolling around DF for a few hours.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

nousername posted:

I'm waiting for my free 14 days to pop up then I'll be hopping on the official servers I think. Maybe I should try out this custom server?

It's more of an SI era server instead of custom. They have a couple of custom zones to make up for the lack of actual SI content, which has been in development for quite awhile.

It's a good server, all in all, regular bug fixes, active GM/Dev team. But it is hosted in Germany, and the majority of the population is European. So if you play during North American hours you may find it a bit dead. The population takes a nose dive in the early evening CST.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
As far as I know there are no goons playing. I get bored in my high 40s before I cap out of Thidranki (45-49 BG on Uthgard) pretty consistently. And the latency really sucks for me, 240-300 ms.

If you're playing mid I can throw you a few plat. Or if I have a character in your level range I might hop on for some xp with you. I have alts on all realms and various levels.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Bloodbath posted:

That sounds really cool but it'll be a long way off :(

I just logged in for the first time in years, got a Skald to level 20 in about an hour or two. Still lots of fun, some nice RvR in the battlegrounds whilst levelling and the game is so much more intuitive now. Great gear, cool questhubs and everything in general is more accessible.

Persuaded my brother to download the free trial so we're going to duo xp up tomorrow and see how we go :) Thinking of trying Albion or Hib..any good combos for xp + rvr? :)

For Hibernia: Bard + Melee DPS, usually.
For Albion: Minstrel + DPS, probably a Sorc.

You're definitely going to want speed and CC for leveling/RvR.

Also for the people on Mid/Uthgard, let me know a time and if you guys need it I can throw a few plat at you. I also have a couple on Hib as well.

Pretty burnt out on the server, otherwise I'd join up.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Er, I didnt see an Uthgard forum so I figure I'll post here.

I'm rolling an 8 man with some old Mordred friends and we need some fillers for Zerk/Aug Healer if anyone's is interested.

Here is the post on the forums if anyone is interested:

http://uthgard.net/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29583

Who knows, maybe some of you goons are old DAoC friends and I'm taking a stab in the dark.

I have a 47 temped zerk I'd be interested in running at some point in time.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

SERPUS posted:

How the heck do you even level healing classes on Uthgard? Its being even more painful than trying a caster.

You can take most of them to 40 fairly easily solo. Nature spec for a Druid, Smite for Cleric, and Augmentation for Healer. It just takes forever.
Otherwise, level a more solo friendly class, and hop on your healer if you see a group going in it's level range. Also play during European times.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

No.Mercy posted:

Yeah I realize this, but when I'm looking for pvp, I'll start logging in during EU primetime. I don't see why this server has hardly any NA players. Seems like everyone is like, the NA population sucks, so I quit, and that's why everyone quit. Why does classic EQ have more players then classic DAoC? I don't get it.

Other than the NA population being abysmal, I think it's mostly because the vast majority of NA players are concentrated on Alb side.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

CactarHero posted:

Alb is the hard road there, also, given that the classes that are favored so highly by the ruleset they use are Hib (see: rangers). It also doesn't help that relics really, really matter there and the chance of Alb having them are rare.

What?

Also Tajendi2 is a replacement for Galladoria/Tuscaran Glacier/Whatever the alb one is. It also doesn't take 4 hours. I really don't know how or why you would compare it to ToA.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Are there people to level with? First time I tried Uthgard I quit during the mid 20s when it was just me alone in DF for an eternity.

Now that I think about it, I've never tried an Alb outside of the PvP server...

Most solo until the mid 20s or so in every realm. Not to say groups below that don't exist. Being proactive and forming groups with /who will always be your best bet.
When I leveled through alb on a friar about 6 months ago groups were easy to come by. The prime time population since then has since increased. (Due to the Camelot Unchained announcement? I guess.)
Alb also seems to have the highest concentration of North American players. I'm actually going to try and get back into this, I always end up burning out right around when I get into Thidranki.

I'll shoot you a message Kazvall, I doubt I'll need gear, but a guild would be cool. Going to roll a paladin. I'll just need to some how transfer stuff over from Mid if I take this game seriously this time around. I'm sitting on about 150p worth of jewelry on a nicely temped zerker over there.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Shux posted:

IS a skald or minst pretty easy to level on Uthgard? Wouldn't mind giving the old school ago again.

Skald would probably be easiest in the early/mid levels. It's also extremely beneficial to auto-train a minstrel, so it's super painful to level one without instruments. Also much more expensive to template out a minstrel if you do stick with it.

Then there's the whole "minstrel issue" in alb, that I'm sure Kazvall from this thread can confirm, unless Alb has had a massive shift in thought.
Minstrels are pretty much not wanted outside of XP groups or maybe stealth groups/duos. Every single Alb group will take a Theurgist over a Minstrel for role of interrupter, and certainly a merc or reaver for DPS. While I wholeheartedly disagree with this view - a well played Minstrel offers stupid amounts of utility to a group - the entirety of the Alb realm does not.

Also to Kaz, sorry, I got sidetracked and have been playing Mid again.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Twlight posted:

Shouldn't you be out there for secondary CC? a 9 second stun, and a charm? Any alb group not taking a mins is putting themselves at a serious disadvantage. While the Theurgist is a better interrupter, no other class offers speed 6.

Edit:

If anyone is on ywan alb and needs some mins gear or help templating I can give a hand.

Well, you would think so. But it has some logic to it, alb groups lose out on a lot of dps bringing in a minst, and a minst is inherently more complex and a lot easier to gently caress up on than say a merc or theurg.

Coincidentally albs pull in the least amount of rps every week.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Twlight posted:

I assume this is on Uthgard? Albs should never be losing a DPS battle on pure casters, body debuff train is insane DPS when done right. But then again, finding 8 competent people to fill all those positions isn't easy. I did level a mins to 50 on uthgard but I don't remember any of my account information.

Yeah, this is on Uthgard. Caster groups really don't work very well on Uth. They tend to just get ran over by the standard group: SoS and charge Tanks. Alb groups will sometimes run a cabalist for nearsight. Likewise for Hibs with elds, and mids with runemasters.

A properly played extend group could easily destroy everything it came in contact with.

Kazvall posted:

You are correct in that a Minstrel is not looked for in a raid group. Everyone is looking for Cleric/Paladin/Theurg/Reaver. This is why I lead my own raids and groups. I have a pretty amazing template using quest/df accessories. Hit me up if you need it! I only autoed to 20 for 50/32/29.

I wouldn't mind taking a gander at it, I've had a longing for some kind of stealther on Uthgard for awhile but have just never bothered due to the extreme cost in operating one competitively. That and the fact that rangers exist is extremely discouraging.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

iNteg posted:

Created a toon on Uthgard to break up the monotony when I couldn't find a group in Project 1999 EQ, does anyone from the thread still play on Uthgard? I'm in as Awwyiss a level 7 ranger.

I still play, and Kazvall, as well. Not sure about anyone else. Neither of us play Hib that I'm aware of.
Stealthers are pretty rough to get a start with on this server.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I still log in from time to time, but not enough to be considered actually "playing".
It's a bit too hard to break in to level 50 RvR (outside of zerg events, or rarely a relic raid).
The vast majority of the RvRing population are rr7+, with most sitting between rr10-12. Thidranki can be tons of fun here, though. (It's level 45-49, instead of the old 20-24.)
Population also takes a huge dip in NA prime time. Plenty of people PvEing during that time, but jack in RvR.

whyidontplaymuch.txt

edit: Just took a gander at the news. Thidranki is no more. Highest battleground will be level 42, with a RR cap of 3L0, instead of 4L2 for old Thidranki.
I'm now firmly in the boat that the developers of this server really don't understand what it's problems are.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 17, 2013

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Well, this era of daoc is definitely a grind fest, no matter how the end game is. But don't let me dissuade you, the low level bgs are extremely fun, and if you play during euro prime and na/eu overlap times their can definitely be good action. Especially if you're doing it for nostalgia purposes.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah, all the albs I ever ran in to on my zerk were high rr pugs, talking all rr10+, or guild groups. I swear alb has probably 45 rr11 clerics that rvr regularly.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Twlight posted:

What's wrong with minstrels for 8v8? I seem to remember that there are almost too many at this point but if your competent you should have no issue. I would also suggest making sure to have both an 8v8 as well as a stealth suit so it opens up your options a bit more. With the changes to epic armor you should be able to set something up fairly easily.

He was talking about on Uthgard, not live.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Anyone going to be trying this new Classic/SI freeshard? daoc-origins.net

I guess open beta ends today and after the server wipe everyone starts fresh on thursday. Let's make some mids?

I goofed around on it a bit, and I know a lot of people from Myth (uthgard guild if you dont remember) are rolling there, last I heard. A lot of poo poo was full on broken. They must of been working pretty hard to get so much fixed in 2 months. I submitted about 200 item bugs just from playing a few days. Mostly a lot of duplicate issues on different tiers of loot: Hats being pants, for example.

I'm not so sure it's in a good place with the re-focus of Eden. It went from standard rvr insta 50 clusterfuck, to level fast and old frontiers. It's been seeing a pretty sizeable population. And as of this very moment it's surpassed Uthgard. I've never seen Origins crest 50 players. I'll definitely give it a spin, though. I'm down for any realm. There is going to be a billion bonedancers.

Despite my negativity, I sure as hell hope it succeeds, an even playing field on a classic/si shard will be so loving nice. gently caress rr11s forever.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I saw about 110 players on Origins for the closing of open beta. I'm not so interested in Eden. It's Darkness Falls for PvE(I believe non-pvp, you can cross-realm group) and only Emain/1-2 Battlegrounds for Pvp. Origins is a full classic server with SI. I have high hopes it turns out alright. Starting fresh on a new server could be a lot of fun. Especially since it's OF/Old RA's/1.62 patch, including necromancers and real bonedancers. I plan to play a Shadowblade and a Shaman.

Are they allowing dual-logging there? I'd kind of like to play Hib, to be honest. Mid is good too. Old RA's I'd probably play a heavy tank. 75% on det5 is awesome.

And yeah, I'm not interested in Eden, either. It's a cobbled together mess, still.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031206055110/www.camelotherald.com/realmabilities/

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
On further inspection, no buffbot, one account, one realm. So I'm going mid. Warrior most likely. Skald possible. Server goes live in 90 minutes. Gonna poopsock.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

gently caress you dude. I'm still at work. If anyone wants to use my mumble its mbl9.gameservers.com. Be on the mumble around 5pm est to see if anyone is on.

I'll chill out on there around that time. I'll make an alt and roll with you if you want to do that shaman or whatever. Definitely gonna main warrior.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Sintor posted:

I'll throw a Mid on here when it opens for shits and giggles. Is this the fresh SI patch with crazy pre-nerf quad-hit savages?

It's like 1.61 or 1.62 something like that. So yeah, savages should be loving nuts.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jessant posted:

The launcher self update just broke itself :(
Ill probably make a Skald or Runie and say hi when the time difference allows.

Are you using the origins server launcher? Or daoc portal? Just use daoc portal.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

You can use daoc-portal to get onto the server as well. Just make sure you are updated properly. Also you need to make a game account.

Daoc portal will apply the origins patches and what not automatically now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
50 people zerging mularn. poo poo is blowing up.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jessant posted:

Yeah screw this launcher, constantly crashing making error popups in the background after I got connected.
I ran straight to aegirhamn and there are very few mobs, then too vasud and stuff is purple con, sad times. At least I didnt click that tempting port too gotar.

I considered using it, but saw that their launcher was like 75mb, and said "lol wut" and didn't download it. It's useless. daocportal4lyfe

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Sintor posted:

East Svea is empty as well, I completely forgot where the Aegir portal is though... sadness.

Mularn.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Cnaiur posted:

How in the hell do I use DaoC Portal, this is all new to a schmuck like me. Installed the client from the Origins site, but where do I create a username/pass to play with?

Make a forums account on origins, go to "board index", create account button. Configure daoc portal to point to your client directory.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I just tried registering and got an error. Must be popular!

Yeah. Hammer it. It'll work eventually.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Cap is 500, and they're currently investigating "if they should" increase it. Their current hardware supposidly can only support 700. Not really sure what they were thinking. Trying to be a ghetto version of Uthgard, I guess.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
The group bonus on this server is broken in two ways: 1) It gives bonus based on group size, not mobs linking. 2) It gives retarded amounts of bonus xp.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Shux posted:

30 posts in the DAOC thread. Something is happening!

Most people playing Mid? Thinking about going Hib.

Yeah, I'm definitely mid. Working on a warrior at the moment. Almost 10. Just rolling over stuff in a group of lowbies.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

Got a savage named Tanreall up to 13. Anyone know a guild we could join or do we want to start one up?

Myth or For The Realm are probably the best bets.
Got my warrior up to 41. Redcap battlegroup xp is hilarious.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

I Hit 50, got my epic armor and was about to go get my epic weapon. When Midgard SI crashed. If it was just a normal crash I would be worried about the server but it's crashing because it's too popular. They were planning for ~500 concurrent players and when Midgard SI crashed they had 1400+.

Protip: For good gold after 50. http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html?cquest=3187

Just got 49.5 on my warr. So many crashes. Server is way too popular for its own good. What's your name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Nosthula posted:

I'm a bit confused about the process for getting this setup. I have downloaded the game client and installed daoc portal. Do you need to let the mythic patcher install the game prior to patching with daoc portal?

Yes you need to install the game first.

• Locked thread