Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
I run 3 times a week. 1 interval workout, 1 tempo run, 1 long run on Saturdays. Do low impact cardio 2-3 days a week besides that. Do starting strength lift program 3 days a week, but sometimes skip the 2nd lift to do a crossfit style workout instead.

Lots of Officer love in here. Don't forget about the joes that fall asleep on their guard shift or pull security with their feet towards their 240 instead of sitting behind it and scanning through their optic while overwatching the rest of the Platoon's movement.

Every Officer is worthless and a mark rear end mark, trick rear end mark, punk bitch and skip skap skank and scally wag, hoe, heffer, hee ha, and hooly hoo.

Hate hate hate hate hate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
We should have a GiP Officer Hater's Ball

I nominate Kikuchiyo for calling in a bomb threat to a BOSS retreat that he wasn't allowed to go on because he was an Officer.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

wait what someone did that

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=24419

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

psydude posted:

I can't do morning gym. I've tried to force myself over the years and have really just found that my motivation is never there.

That's why they make C4-Extreme and Jack3D

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Speaking of food, Ft Hood (maybe the rest of the army, who the gently caress knows) is now enforcing taking pay for MREs for soldiers. $9 an MRE and if one person gets one, then everyone has to have one and gets the pay taken out no matter what.

You can get around this by calling out the gut truck.

9 Dollars? So enlisted BAS cover 38 meals? What if you're in the field for two weeks and eat MREs for most of that? Or JRTC?

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
I take C4-Extreme before lifting sometimes and it's fine. I tried Jack 3D a couple times but it makes me feel sick. Don't do cardio on either.

I take protein after lifting.

I take endurox after a tough or long cardio session (it works out to be cheaper per serving than buying a bottle of chocolate milk at the shopette).

I also take a multi vitamin and glucosamine chondroitin almost every day.

I take greens plus almost every day.

No issues here. Come to think of it, I take a lot of stuff.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Kaliber posted:

I just really really really hate running and avoid it no matter what. For almost 2 years I did absolutely no cardio or anything high intensity. It was just straight weight lifting to lose weight and not look like a fat rear end anymore. Which was awesome. I leaned up, my overall PT shot up, and I passed my last PT test with a 15:54 on my run. The only event I didn't max out. But I was also 20 pounds heavy at the time.

Started cross fit and I leaned out alot more, and my run is now a 14:30 for 2 miles, did an unit PT test that included a 4 mile run and I came in at 32:14. Which really isn't too bad for not never running at all. I would love to max out the PT test, but I honestly do not want to get on the track or street and just run. I honestly rather nail my balls to a tree.

If you're still into crossfit check out Audie Murphy Gym when you get down here. It's a pretty awesome setup and you'll probably really like it.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Rrail posted:

What is cardio (as we think of it, so running distance, biking, etc) really good for that can't be achieved through other methods? Just lift regularly and intensely. Your muscle will burn fat while you're just chillin', and if you work out correctly (to include stuff like HIIT) you are getting a great aerobic workout.

It is goo when you have to perform a cardiovascular endurance activity. Like walking up to the top of HT #### during a mission.

Not something I'll get through Tabata.

P.S. I did Linda last week and my hands are still recovering :argh:

agentq fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 3, 2012

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

I have what might be the most important PT test I've ever taken next Tuesday. Took a diagnostic today and got a 292. Lets hope I can get to sleep early Monday at least.
what's it for?

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Just looking good to other people.
Sounds good. I'm about to graduate the career course so I'll be in the same boat in a few weeks.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

And I graduated over a year and a half ago...
drat dude. Brutal staff time.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Looking like another year too

Jesus, what's your branch and post?

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Kaliber posted:

This.

I think crossfit is some sort of weird cult..... No one but one of the really buff instructors really talk to me there while we're waiting for our group to start. They just interact with the other people wearing the stupid crossfit t-shirts.
$150 bucks a month at the gym here in el paso. Figured I'd give it a look, I like the idea of an instructor watching my form for some of the lifts. Unless I do their intro program, I'm limited to certain odd hours and their intro program is only offered during business hours. 150 bucks a month? No thanks. 0500, 0600, and 1900 only? No thanks. I even crushed the baseline and they weren't flexible with the hours.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Rrail posted:

Simply put, being fast is much better (in my opinion) than being able to run long. For most people in a combat environment (read: on a FOB), what's going to save your life is how fast you can get to a bunker. I won't dare to speak for people out in the red, though.
Or just do both well!

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
Just started the Military Athlete Operator sessions with my 1SG this week. Pretty good so far. These work capacity workouts are brutal sometimes.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

psydude posted:

Did they really just throw the word operator in there for shits and giggles?

I guess so. It's actually a pretty challenging program. And free if your 1SG signs up for it and just asks you to do it with him.

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=49

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Just so everyone knows that website is loving legit and the work outs are brutal. The guy that runs it is all kinds of awesome too.

The work capacity workouts he has you do are ridiculous.

And he sounds like a good guy from what my 1SG says. He's been doing it for over a year now.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

Well, they're putting in a packet so I can go to RRRANGER school. We have a shitload (I'm talking only 1 tabbed PL right now) of non-tabbed Infantry officers. Us Armor officers are low priority, but my commander told us to try anyway. Anyone have any ruck training tips? I found a pretty good workout on RTB, but it goes straight into 10 milers.

Complete the first week over and over again, starting at 6 miles and upping the mileage 2 miles every other week until you get to 10 then follow the plan. Or go to military athlete and look for the Ranger School plan.

Rucking is easy man, short fast steps, lean forward, don't land with your heel (much like running).

It seems like there has been a ton of LTs not getting their tabs. Or maybe it's just the guys we get at Fort Bliss.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

Dropping a Ranger packet. Pre-Ranger on 02 August. Oh poo poo. What am I getting into? Running like a mofo...

You'll be fine. Just don't quit. Nothing you do there is especially hard or crazy or unreasonable. It's a marathon, just don't quit.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
Running a little behind on my schedule but got this in today:

Warm up:
3 Rounds
10x Hinge @ 95#
10x Goblet Squats @ 12kg
5x Push Ups
5x Situps

(1) 20 Min AMRAP
8x Back Squat @ 95/135#
4x Burpees
4x 25m Shuttle Sprints
Rest 30 Seconds

Sprint to the rest each round. Take the full 30 seconds rest between efforts.

(2) 20 Min AMRAP
8x Hinge @ 95/135#
4x Burpees
20x Stepups to 20” Box
Rest 30 Seconds

Sprint to the rest each round. Take the full 30 seconds rest between efforts.

(2) 3 Rounds
3/3/3 Toe Touch Complex
3x Shoulder Sweep
5x Shoulder Scarecrow @ 2.5#

Pretty brutal but I feel pretty good overall. 11 rnds, then 10 rnds.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

elite_garbage_man posted:

Some endurance/distance athletes take caffeine before an event so they don't have to stop during the race and pinch off a loaf. Cool.

It's 94 degrees out and I've been doing ruck intervals

2 minute max situps 80x +3x more

ruck weight 56lbs no water
1 mile: 11:17
1/2 mile 5:56 HEHEHE OORAH AM I RITE M16A1 4 lyfe
2x1/4 mile 2:36 and 2:26

ruck push-ups
5x6

I think I got this poo poo figured out during the last portion of the workout. This is only the second week I've been training at my actual pack weight. The technique of the 10 minute mile times are right between running and walking. It's like a really weird glide. Next week I hope to shave about a minute off the mile time.

Still have a strength(dl)/body weight session tonight and a short run.

I've got 4x 1mile intervals today with 45 lbs. I'm supposed to carry my weapon but it's pretty hard to do on the treadmill.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
I got a new LT overseas now and don't have a job for him. He failed the pushups at Ranger School then went to IBOLC to prep to retake the test. He failed the test at IBOLC after his "prep" to go back to Ranger School. For those of you that don't know, you have to do 49 pushups to get into Ranger School.

So he's going to PT with me. Had my FSO teach him all the major lifts we do in the PT program I'm on so he doesn't hurt himself.

Today is day 1:

OBJ: Stamina, 90 minutes

1) 55 Minute AMRAP
5x SBGUs each side @ 60
Rope climb or 3 x Tarzan pull-up (6 total)
5 x Scotty Bob @ 25
25 x step-ups w/25# pack or weight vest

2) 3 mile run w/IBA or 25# weight vest

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

psydude posted:

Am I reading this correctly: he was sent to ranger school before IBOLC? Was he a snowbird?

He finished IBOLC then went to Ranger. Failed Pushups. Got sent back to IBOLC to be trained up physically to return to Ranger School. Before you can leave IBOLC to go to Ranger School you have to take the RPFT again. He failed pushups during the IBOLC RPFT to go back to Ranger.

Now he's my extra guy. So we'll see how he does, starting now.

**We finished. He wasn't looking so hot so I brought him so cold water and had him pour it on his head and asked him if he was okay. He finished 8 rounds (just over time but we counted it). I finished 10 with extra time and probably could have done 11 if hadn't been checking on him. He puked at the end so we skipped the run and called it a day.

Gonna put him on a ramp up program before he hops in again.

agentq fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 15, 2013

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

We have a lot of untabbed IN LT's. One failed after being sent back. We have two new AR LT's that washed out. Did RTB get a new commander or something and the course is harder or is this standard?

I don't know man. I asked my buddy who was stationed at RTB last summer since we had a lot of failures and he said it was all the same poo poo. It's probably the same pass rate they always brief. Might just be our units... You're at Hood right? Not a lot of tabbed guys at Bliss, 2LT or CPT or MAJ or LTC...

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
Double tap

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

Yeah I'm at Hood. It's not as stigmatized here.

I heard of a lot of guys failing land nav, so I wonder if that changed.

My XO failed land nav there, but got it on the 2nd try. I have another PL that isn't tabbed and he didn't go because of stress fractures.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Mustang posted:

Isn't IBOLC supposed to be pretty physically intensive? What about OCS? I'm in the OCS option recruitment process right now and I have a PT test in a week or two, they told me I need to get at least 65 push ups.

Been training for it for the past month or so.

Had my friend time me for push ups and sit ups, maxed sit ups, 71 push ups, and 13:43 two mile for the 22-26 age range. I guess that's in the high 280s. 13:00 two mile max seems intense though. Can get down to 13:20 on a treadmill but I felt like I was going to die afterward.

It is somewhat. I honestly think he failed on purpose. Anyone that goes and trains pushups for a month should be able to do 49, especially someone who did PT everyday for 4 months or whatever during IBOLC. I know his PLT Mentor and he is very fit and pushed his LTs pretty hard physically.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

today's muscle fest

2 min max situps
86x
3 min rest

max pullups
16x
3 min rest

face pull
5x25 30# 2 min rest between sets

situps
5x30 1 min rest between sets

pullups
5x6 & 4x5 1 min rest between sets

45 min rest
god drat allie pad took longer than I expected to put on

3x1 mile ruck intervals + 1 mile jog 5 minute rest between all intervals
10:00 no traffic + hills
11:05 traffic + lsmall incline
10:38 traffic + hills
1 mile jog in boots (untimed)

ruck weight: 57# + 1L of water

I present the apparatus of pain:

Good times on the ruck runs. I did about 3x 1 mile intervals for 9:30s on the treadmill a few weeks ago (no space on my COP to run) so they went a little faster than usual. I had 50# in the ruck.

I like the apparatus. I actually ordered a weight vest and it should be here soon, so we'll see how I like it.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Here's a link to that ruck mod: http://www.innovativeperformance.co/

I recommend getting a locking collar so the weights don't bounce around all willy nilly.

today:
7 rounds
5x strict pullups
10x dips
15x pushups
25x situps
10x (5 per leg) step ups with 25# dbs
3xY+Ls (shoulder mobility drill)
30 sec rest

going to do 8x 400m intervals a little later.

Are you on your own workout plan or some programming or plan you picked up along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

I'm trying to build a garage gym. Can anyone recommend me a good (cheap) set of bounce plates and a power rack?

I bought the titan hd fitness power rack. I like it. Definitely not the best finishes but it will hold whatever you or I would lift. Not a whole lot of love for it on bb.com. I have it bolted to the floor in my garage. All the rogue stuff fits on it too.

Depending on where you live you might be able to buy bumper plates in person and get them cheaper.

I went to a fringe sport store in person in TX and got my bumpers for cheaper than the website. They are good quality.

The rogue bars are good for the price. Never used a fringe sport bar, I know their steel isn't as good, but again, we probably don't have to worry about that. The CAP ob-86b barbell is supposed to be the best bang for the buck (and its cheap).

agentq fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 14, 2014