Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
PRT is still dumb but at least one cadre here is willing to do something besides AGR runs or pushups sit up improvement. Today we did last man ups and it was actually kind of fun. I was that rear end in a top hat who kept going "HOOAH SERGEANT MAJOR/MAM RACE YOU!". They can't resist and I definitely annoyed the poo poo out of them. It's the small things when you're in TRADOC guys. At least the gym here is nice, and has plenty of eye candy to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Casimir Radon posted:

Minimalism, crossfit, NO-XPLODE....

This is why I mostly work out on my own.

I have the hardest time finding people to work out with. They either never actually want go to the gym or insist on doing some crazy poo poo like crossfit no wait starting strength no wait cardio every day for two hours bro let's just do preacher curls squats are dumb weights make you fat. Shut the gently caress up and just spot for me.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Casimir Radon posted:

I think there is a market out there for a gym where acting like a douche instantly gets your membership card ripped up in front of everyone, and you sent out the front door, FOREVER.

Planet fitness tried this but instead yells at you if you grunt or drop weights or clink weights.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

moker posted:

I like what I call the leaky tire, when dudes hiss a fuckload and cant just breathe normally

also no poo poo tonight this group of 3 guys were taking off their shirts and taking cell phone pics of each other in the middle of the dumbbell area 0_o

I see both of those things all the time. And dudes doing bicep curls while moving their back like a snake, screaming, and looking around to see if girls are looking.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Grampybone posted:

How on earth are you guys the "only" people you know that apparently work out "correctly"?

I think someone might want to rethink the who's being :smug:

I'm not saying I workout better than everyone else, obviously not because there are a lot of people with a worse case of swoleosis than me, (A LOT) but I'd rather workout with someone cool who I can bullshit with. Pretty much all of my friends are lazy and don't workout, work at target like 22 hours a day, or just aren't fun to workout with. Squats make your butt big, all I do is run 12 miles a day, LETS JUST DO PREACHER CURLS!

I've found a few decent people to work with, but it's annoying when every other day peoples workout philosophy changes and they want to do something completely different. So what I've been doing is just hey broing people I see in the gym doing exercises I wanna do. Some are cool, some dudes scream real loud dead lifting like 180, and some stare at my rear end.

Basically this is the internet its for complaining!!!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I did crossfit for a month because my brother had a free trial thing from his membership. Then they asked for !!$300!! so that was that.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I've decided to invest in making my basement a weight room after I couldn't use the squat rack today because four guys spent a half hour doing calf raises in it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
If I run extra hard I pretty reliably get the squirts.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I'm back down to a 32 waist :smug:. But I'm such a weak girly man...

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

Ok, I'm tired of being too fat for the army. I've been on a diet for the past three weeks coming ever so close to passing tape. (225 lbs, 16.5" neck, 40.5" waist, need 22.5 difference)

My diet is approximately 1600-200 calories/day. My PT plan is pretty much wake up -> C4 -> treadmill at varying speed and distance/time. (an hour @ 6.5mph today, 2 miles @15'/break/2 miles @16' yesterday, etc.)

My first goal is lose weight/pass tape which through sheer stubbornness will happen although I am unsure of what an appropriate timeline that will be.

Second goal which will take longer I need an idea of how feasible it is. 300 APFT.
My last APFT I weighed in at 237, and ran the 2 miles in 16'54". How much weight am I going to have to lose to consider beating 13'18"?

The best time I ever had was about 14'50" and could expect around 15'30" with dedicated training and weighing less than 205.

When do I switch my focus from weight loss to run time improvement?
The other two events are suboptimal but not as difficult to imagine achieving after weight loss then maxing out the run.

Odds are next APFT will be in April. Who wants to join me in the max out challenge?

Running at a constant speed never worked for me when it came to training for the run. Try HIIT. It's basically walk or jog for about two minutes and SPRINT, like balls the wall dogs are chasing you RUN FOR YOU LIFE SPRINT, for a minute. Your diet is most important, don't cheat, eat good stuff, cut out sugar etc etc etc. Losing weight helps a ton, but cardio is a bitch. Take a week off and you'll hurt bad.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Found a compilation of Moker and Death's lifts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYLQXnNHPg

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

60/120 intervals worked a lot for me before, that's pretty much my APFT run style that got me to 15'30". Now I'm so weak I can't maintain 6 minute long sprints. I'm planning on getting back to that once I've slimmed down a significant amount. Are you aiming for 300?

I haven't maxed since I was 19 and my next APFT isn't for a year. But gently caress it I can test myself. I guess so.

Also I don't change pace on my run until the end when I start running like a mad man. Maybe that can work for you? Running was always mental to me.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

xwonderboyx posted:

I'm too fat for pullups :negative:

It's ok I'm too skinny and weak. You have an easier road than me.

So my girlfriends uncle lives up the street from me and has a gym in his basement. Sweet I think, he has benches, a squat rack, treadmill and a ton of weights. The ceiling is eight feet high. I'm 6'3". gently caress, it's free and I'll use it for a while, beside my GF there are no resolution losers there.

Also I haven't done a THING for nearly a month. I'm five pounds heavier, but I think I'm 15% fat and 75% bone. Fuuuuck....

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

You're not fat enough for the reserve component. :dogout:

So apparently none of the resolutionistas around here resolved to get to the gym before 6:30 in the morning, because it's been empty as poo poo. I'm glad to see my waking up early plan has been paying off.

I'm such an oddity in the guard. Everyone, like 80%, is either a lifetime fatty on profile, or an absolute monster who runs 10 miles a day and then squats 800 to warm up. Average people like me just don't exist.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
There's a guy in my brigade who no joke is nearly 400 pounds. A few people in my company have stories of him being banned from sitting on office chairs on their deployment because he kept breaking them.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
The worst part about not lifting in forever is how drat sore I am the first week or so. And then how bad I am at cardio now...

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
My NG MI unit is trying to convince people to do a 28 mile March for the fallen. 28 miles. 35Lb ruck. NG. MI. Also they said I have to and I said gently caress off. I'm not driving four hours so I can march for 8.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

To be fair my company is in an infantry battalion. Also they've asked us to design T shirts and I want to submit one of a fat pimply dude at a computer and somethinf about autism.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, same here. Being in a BCT MICO != infantry though. Even if you are infantry, I imagine that working up to rucking 28 miles you know, requires some training beforehand.

Honestly though, I'd do it if given time to prepare.

Yeah but the CSM doesn't see that. He wants max participation, and at AT everyone is gonna shoot guns and MI is useless etc etc. Of course my company is nothing but terribly smug MI stereotypes...

And psydude not yet but very soon.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lucky jeans work for me.

LUCKY YOU never gets old.

Also something something selvedge something distressed something weight.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I don't care what they're doing, I just hate the guys who yell like idiots.
OOOOOT! OOOOOT! OOOOOT!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

I think I have half of a tub of the original Jack3d left. Currently selling for $250 OBO.

You joke but I bet you could make a profit off half a tub of Jack3d.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Martello posted:

I had an APFT this morning, but the whole time I was envisioning sexual intercourse to confuse my muscles.

Seriously though, was it a bad idea to take naproxen before an APFT? I scored a 277 so it was okay but I'm just wondering if maybe I would have run faster without it or whatever. I suck at running, thus the 277. Maxed situps and pushups, 1520 on the run.

I've always heard a million different things about the pros and cons of taking whatever. Take Tylenol it'll thin your blood, chug a monster it'll give you energy, caffeine pills, pre workout, NOS etc etc. Most of the time people just puke on the run. Or placebo effect their way to single digit more points.

If it weren't for the run I'd assume whatever helps you in the gym would help on an APFT.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/OIAatut.jpg:nws:

On second thought maybe it's NWS.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 6, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at, and I'm disturbingly unsurprised that there's a site called bestgore.com.

Synthol rupture. Couldn't find one without a watermark.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Martello posted:

Yeah but I've had this injury for over a year and so far I haven't hurt it any worse. I'm being pretty careful with it. The doctor told me the surgery doesn't have a 100% recovery chance anyway, and she said I could keep doing what I'm doing as long as I don't go overboard with weight and if it hurts, stop doing it.

Get your shoulder fixed you goon you have free healthcare.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I did the ten miles on Bragg in less than an hour and a half. :smug: Never again!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Veins McGee posted:

No, its not. It would take 4 years at 29.99/mo before you begin seeing any savings and you wouldn't have 1/4 of the equipment a decent gym has.

So close to being obese.

I'm 6'3" and 225 it said my BMI is 28.6. What the poo poo?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you have any appreciable muscle mass (IE you work out somewhat) than BMI is going to be way off for you anyways. It's an ok scale for most sedentary Americans to tell them they're fat lazy fucks.

So you're saying I have tested negative for twink.
Yippee

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Twink maybe. Giant meathead queer who stares longingly at other dudes who are working out while alternating flexing your pecs? Jury's still out.

Is a junior artist looking longingly at a masters work Gay?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Hooah

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Deathy McDeath posted:

I'm deferring Columbia until next year to at least get one shot at selection with the guard. CU has an option that allows you to defer admission for up to 5 years should you decide to pursue military service. That way, should I mess up somewhere along the way, I've always got a great school to fall back on.

Why the gently caress would you rather do more army than go to an ivy league school?!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

the only winning move is to never run

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Well really brown is white. :spergin:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Who is that in your avatar

That is Bradley Manning in a wig.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Bogarts posted:

I was running today and about 100 meters in I got a really sharp pain in a very small area on my shin. Felt kind of like someone putting a cigarette out on it. I thought a bee stung me or something but there was no mark or anything and it stopped immediately so I started running again and it started happening again with less and less distance between when I would feel the pain. I quit pretty early and came home and I'm going to go to the doc when I can but has anyone else had anything like this? Theres no swelling or anything that I can see and it feels fine as long as I don't run.

Just a guess but it sounds like a pretty bad stress fracture.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wear sweatpants and Chuck Taylors. All those socks do is give a barrier between the barbell and your shins. Here's a secret though: you're gonna bleed anyway.

I always wear chucks in the gym, only exception being the extremely rare times I do cardio, I'll throw a pair of running shoes in my bag.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Oh man the dude who made insanity and hip hop abs is coming to school, I'm about to get shredded.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

The APFT is hard. If it was easy we wouldn't have any failures. I'm here to have fun and be the armyest guy in the unit, but I hate seeing people screwed over because they have less physical abilities than the more athletic among us, and I hate people who are naturally athletic thinking since its easy for them it is easy for everyone.

friend of the family are you trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Wow way to make loving VASUDUS angry.