Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I think I'm more accepting of a Chaos Titmarine than a renegade Sister of Battle. A sororita would rather have a Space Marine lube their chainswords with her own blood than go against the Emperor and specifically the Adeptus Sororitas.
I'm pretty sure bits of the Imperium turn on each other without Chaos being involved all the time. Two groups disagree on what the proper loyal course is in a situation, and welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

:shibaz:
What the hell is this thing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

Bolters have machine spirits, and a high quality astartes bolter might have thousands of machine spirits, each serving a sacred purpose in the gun. They are ludicrously advanced weapons. The only reason they might not be MIU compatible is because they are TOO COOL for your run of the mill MIU and will fry anyone who even tries to link with them unless they are an inquisitor or techmarine or similar worthy. IMO.
Do they have the "Of course it has a machine spirit, it's a machine, right?" machine spirits or the "accessible with proper tools diagnostic computer interface" machine spirits?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The fantastically advanced technology of forty thousand years in the future which is in nearly every case massively inferior to the fantastically advanced technology of twenty thousand years in the future? :raise: (Or whatever the actual figures are, I don't feel like looking up the timeline here)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do you address the fact that frequently something that works fine for an ork will fall apart when a non-ork tries to use it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Man-Thing posted:

So question about pinning: Our group's Missionary uses a flamethrower, which apparently just werfs flammens, so the opponent makes a dodge roll, rather than him making an attack roll.

When an Explorer is pinned down by surpressive fire, they take a -20 to their BS checks. Does a flamethrower completely sidestep this, by not making BS checks? We houseruled it on the fly to give the other guys +20 to their dodge roll instead, but if someone could quote chapter-and-verse what the actual effects are in Rogue Trader, that'd be :cool:.
I don't remember where the rule is, but that is in fact exactly how it works. Thins which would be a bonus or penalty to your BS roll are instead a penalty or bonus to the Dodge roll.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dark Heresy is actually really great for introducing new players to 40k. Right now in the Black Crusade campaign I'm running, the PC's are tagging along on an Astartes Strike Cruiser filled with Slaanesh-worshipping Chaos Space Marines that's trying to assault a Black Ship of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, while they're accompanying a Skitarii of the Dark Mechanicus to recover a xenotech artifact. I couldn't imagine bringing a player not familiar with 40k into that game and trying to bring them up to speed :stare:.
"We are rebels against the tyrannical oppressive Imperium ruled over by the Corpse God on his throne. Come, join us in our struggle!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solus posted:

So I'm shooting my Heavy Stubber with Automated Reload, Tearing and Storm.

It has a Damage Profile of -/-/10 and 1D10+5

If I roll enough to shoot 5 bullets, I know I rolled 5D10. but do I add +25 or just +5
You don't roll 5d10. You roll 1d10+5 five times, with armor and TB and such applying each time.

Except it's Storm, so you actually shot off 20 bullets and hit with 10, so you roll 1d10+5 10 times.

Except it's Tearing, so as I understand it you roll 1d10 twice, pick the better result, and add 5. 10 times.

At some point in here you are probably going to get a 10 at which point it is time to consult the Righteous Fury rules. :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure infantry fighting tanks in real life don't shoot them in the front, for exactly that reason. Front of tanks are really well armored.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 28, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I thought when you took damage in excess of your Wounds, that was critical damage. If you have 0 wounds and take 5 damage, you now have 5 Critical damage, and check the relevant table for the damage type and apply that. If you take another 3 damage, you now check the 8 entry for the table.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

Yeah shooting a navigator is not really justifiable in character, and obviously inter-party conflict should never happen unless all parties are willing, otherwise the arch militant or the ork completely controls the flow of the game and also no one has any fun at all and you lose friends. but more importantly your ship is now adrift and incapable of making its way through the warp. Hope you have enough cryochambers for everyone because this ship is gonna take a couple of centuries before the degenerate tribals that your crew will become can manage to bring it back to port.
Yeah I mean if the navigator had teabagged your bedridden injured self you'd just send a polite message to his house asking for a replacement. Maybe put him under luxurious house arrest and promote one of the lesser navigators to Navigator Primus until you can get this sorted out with his house.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kingcom posted:

With regards to late game (not talking Ascension here as that games a big pile of insanity for many reasons) assuming your not doing anything special there are still fairly weighty costs. A heavy bolter costs 2,000 thrones and every single full auto attack costs the player 160 thrones. A rank 8 assassin only makes 216 thrones a month. Saving up for that weapon is a big cost and even greater is the 160 throne fee, almost a months salary to fire it. Thats a fairly big investment, particularly if you can get away with something cheaper.
Why the gently caress are your PCs being limited by their salary? Jesus Christ extort some dudes, pick up some booze and get the guard at an armory drunk and seduce him, set up an organized crime smuggling ring to get money, prevent heretics from profiting from the market, and get intel, whatever. God.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MaliciousOnion posted:

According to their tabletop codex, they aren't allowed to ally with psykers except Grey Knights. Also, remember that they still rely on Navigators and Astropaths.
Well I mean what else are they going to do? NOT travel to other star systems or communicate with people outside radio range?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Voidborn? Yeah I'm pretty sure he'd know "don't kill the guy who lets you actually navigate between star systems in the first place" by heart.

(Also I'm under the impression that you generally have multiple navigators on a ship so they can work in shifts over the quite possibly a week or longer voyage through the Warp and you have backups in case they choke on a chicken bone or are a PC and routinely poke their nose into hazardous situations personally.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Yea, that is one of the things that I am sort of trying to work out. I mean for stuff like technical staff you obviously have an Explorator who is in charge, and then there are whole levels of underlings who are Tech-Priests, Enginseers, down to the guys whose job it is to pour the sacred oil onto the gun tracks three times a day while chanting (or whatever). It's weirder with people like Navigators and Astropaths because they are simultaneously characterized as being extremely rare and essentially irreplaceable, but also apparently needed in fair amounts.

And it's complicated by the fact that the ship is supposed to be a busted-up smuggler that usually runs on regular trading routes within the Imperium, and only takes the occasional, unsanctioned, jaunt to other places - rather than the standard Rogue Trader template. So, for instance, I decided that they probably don't have an Astopath on board - 95% of the time they are operating safely within Imperial space where they wouldn't need one, and when they're off-course who are they going to call anyway? I also thought that because they are mostly on known routes and stuff they could make do with a single real Navigator, and have him supported by conventional chartists and cogitators - it would only be on the off-route travel that he would be doing serious work.

I suppose the ship could have a number of Navigators, even just people with the gene who are still in apprenticeship or whatever? But if the Acolytes execute the head Navigator, it's not like the rest of his family/underlings are going to stay on, and they really can't compel them to (at least not in an Imperial port, if they were jacking the ship in the black it would bea different matter I suppose)
Warp-capable ships are about as replaceable as Navigators and Astropaths, really. Maybe less so, there's very few shipyards capable of building them from scratch instead of refitting derelicts around, and you can always breed more Navigators are have the Emperor burn out the eyes of some psykers if you need more.

Keep in mind even the smallest ships have like thirty thousand people on them or something. Having 5 to 10 each of Navigators/Astropaths isn't a lot percentage-wise. (Do note that the Astropath class in Rogue Trader is a really awesome one, I'm fairly sure most are just normal-blind instead of "blind but using psyker tricks to see just fine" thing.)

That is a good excuse to not have Astropaths on board, but unless you have some weird archeotech or heretek thing, navigating without a Navigator consists of making blind jumps very short distances, inflating travel time a whole lot and giving you more opportunity to have accidents. (Especially since you can't tell where you're coming out.) The Navigator's job is to stare out into the bare Warp and make sense of it, so, well.

I'm not clear on how interstellar navigation worked before the creation of Navigators, but that leaves me in the same boat as most of the Imperium! :v:

... You also wouldn't have an Explorator, since the ship isn't heading into unknown territory like Rogue Traders do, you'd have some lower-ranking tech-priest to oversee all the poo poo done by the rank and file.

The Navigator Primus (and probably his subordinate Navigators) and the Enginseer Prime would need to be in on things, of course, but the Astropath phone bank might not even know what shift it is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ah, yes, good point. Something on stable routes could definitely get away with a smaller number of navigators, but unless you're one of those crazy entirely-automated Mechanicus exploration ships or something, the answer to "can you get by without a navigator" is "not unless it's an emergency".

The more well-travelled and old a route is the easier and faster it is to travel, so you don't need good or a lot of navigators like you do if you're a Rogue Trader going somewhere inside a warp storm that might have literally never seen a warpship before, but the Navigator corps' job is to stare into the naked warp for the entire duration of the journey. Which I feel compelled to point out is also Chaos.

The Navigator might be contracted to the ship rather than the captain, so as long as your PCs aren't obviously xenos or enemies of the Imperium or the like he might just shrug and go along with it. Keep him in booze or whatever his vice is when not on the job and who cares who's in charge or where you're going? :haw:

As for the Astropath, it's the only way to get messages to them other than sending them to a port you think they're going to be in soon and waiting, and the margin of error on warp travel is enormous. As in "ships have come out hundreds of years after they went in, or literally arrived before they left". Not likely if you're on a schedule well-worn route, but better safe than sorry, especially if you're making side trips! There's regular commerce, yes, but it's relying on very old infrastructure they can't really replace. And I'm pretty sure they process hundreds of thousands of psykers a day with the Black Ships, which is where astropaths come from, so there aren't really enough for everything the Imperium wants them for but there's enough anything but the shittiest penny-ante warp-capable ships can have one or two.

This is one of those places the scale of poo poo gets really weird and confusing, though. Not to mention the usual "left hand is writing something and has no idea the right hand is writing something about a similar topic" stuff. :sigh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So wait if their insertion vehicle was crashed, how did they get back off-planet?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Isn't the Geneseed what you use to make new implants with?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

His responsibilites aboard ship have been taken over by an NPC named Cleve who regularly says stuff like "blood for the blood God-Emperor. Skulls for the Golden Throne" and Chunk just tells him to carry on.
WHAT?

Why is he not reprimanding Cleve! That's incredibly wrong!

The Golden Throne needs souls, not skulls! I mean come on. :mad:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Checking the rules, he'd take 1d10 damage and one level of Fatigue each round. Even if he has enough toughness bonus to literally never take damage from the fire he'll fall unconscious after 10 or so rounds. Having a nice burny nap after about a minute.

Plus the running around screaming, yes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Of course, getting assigned to hang out with a Rogue Trader might be the kind of assignment you give somebody you want to just loving go away. The most orthodox Magi are unlikely to be hanging out with some rear end in a top hat wandering around looking for shiny things at the fringes of the Imperium. The loyal, pious Explorators are the ones running Mechanicus-owned exploration ships!

So, plenty of room for the Explorator PCs to be a little... lax about proper procedure. (or maybe they're just pious in the wrong way according to their superiors.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Not to mention any tech dealing with the Warp is heretek.

You know, like the loving warp drive.

The Imperium hates psykers, mutants, and warp-tech, and is also absolutely dependent on all three (Astropaths and others, Navigators, and warp drives) to function.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Technically I think Navigators are (probably) engineered rather than mutations, but it's not like the Imperium is really capable of making the distinction these days. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blueballs posted:

We used that link from earlier in my group on Sunday to get some characters together and there is also a ship creator there. One of my friends who has zero knowledge of the 40K universe was tasked with creating the ship. He handed me an extremely badass frigate with no gellar field generator.
Isn't that mandatory? Like if you are actually following the creation rules properly you can't NOT have one?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't have it myself, but I heard it doesn't have wounds anymore, for one thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doesn't this rely on never ending up on the business end of the mishap chart?

So unless you can somehow end-run around the die mechanics to never ever fail the relevant rolls, sooner or later you're gonna blow up your head trying or osmething.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

What about an extra boob/dick from Slaanesh or a giant blade where your arm used to be from Khorne?
I think the other chaos gods mutate you to better do their thing.

Teezey mutates you for the sake of mutating you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aren't there actual battleship stats in one of the supplements?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I'd say low on the actual Profit Factor since you're basically giving it to the Navy out of what passes for the goodness of your hearts and since the Navy probably wouldn't be tremendously inclined to buy one of their own (very, very valuable) ships that they view as theirs by right
Yes, but having the Navy be well-inclined to you could quite easily count as profit factor in itself. Rogue Traders ARE officially sanctioned by the Imperium, after all, so if they like you you might find it easier to buy supplies and repairs, etc etc. Profit Factor isn't just raw money. There's a reason you have it instead of just very large prices and budgets.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

There's a lot of handwaving and mysterious artifice to ensure that the appropriate people are present for every fight. Kroot that are heavily implied to have had contact with the Tau are found in the Koronus Expanse - despite it being on entirely the wrong side of the galaxy - so you can argue that there are strange warp-paths that can make travel around the galaxy easier.
Isn't there explicitly a two-way gate between the Koronus Expanse and the place Deathwatch is set over near Tau space?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

I think it's "rumoured" as part of the Kroot background in Rogue Trader.
I remember reading the specific location of both ends in... something. I want to say Into The Storm and some Deathwatch thing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SpiritOfLenin posted:

We are going to be meeting it inside some mining facility
So... why are you not just demolishing the mining facility?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MilkmanLuke posted:

Isn't Traveller the GURPS of space games?
GURPS is the GURPS of space games.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Funktastic Dog posted:

What does the inside of a starship look like? Is it just a bunch of different room within that massive thing, or is it more like this http://i.imgur.com/ZVhNFgw.jpg
Pretty sure you could fit that in a hold in larger ships.

But when the ship building rules makes you spend like 2/3rds of your space on the warp drives, that is probably a good sign for how much is "starship" and how much is "empty space you can do that sort of thing in"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ronwayne posted:

Might wanna make it 1d20. 2d10 means results 9-12 will be the most common and 2 and 20 almost never.
And specifically being a genestealer-cult-in-waiting is the most common result. I'm pretty sure things aren't that bad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tias posted:

Oh, darn. Math never was my strong suit :ohdear:

Would doing it like so be better?
That would make the "membership exclusion" entry actually twice as likely as anything else as seems to be intended yes. That's a-
:staredog:

I'm... gonna go do something else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

It would be an interesting way to insert a few thousand drop troopers. Have the heat shield break away at about 20 km up, let the troops spread out in freefall and drop onto their target. A sort of extreme HALO jump that you start by being fired as part of a macrocannon barrage.
Isn't this basically Space Marine drop pods?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FireSight posted:

Navigators are a weird point. In RT they mutate like mad, but outside of RT, fluff never had them be mutated... fat sometimes, but not mutated. I don't know where that came from. Either way, since they breed true, and stick to breeding in their own Houses, they remain under the Accepted Abhuman umbrella.

Also the "being entirely critical to the functioning of the Imperium" thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I've always kinda wondered why Navigators are PCs in RT. It seems kind of suicidally insane to take the dude who knows how to navigate your ship and send him into a sword fight alongside the bridge crew.
I think they are "Lead Navigator", not "Sole Guy Who Needs To Star Into The Void For Days On End Without Rest During a Trip". So if they bite it you still have several lesser navigators to guide you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In the grim darkness of the far future everybody are bad guys.