Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Fayk posted:

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. I'm not asking about the rarity of the MIU implant or getting it installed, but what systems are sophisticated enough to be connected to via MIU (to gain the mechanical benefits from the MIU implant).

A lot of that is up to the GM, and the source of the item in question. The Imperium has some planets where you might find a dataport implant in every sewing machine or leafblower. Another planet might have city-sized computers that run off of punchcards, steam power, and the screams of tortured children.

I know it isn't really a helpful answer, but "you decide!" is all I can really offer. I would err on the side of "doesn't have dataport" for most things, though. Direct interface seems like a much more sophisticated technology than most of what the Imperium would have available, simply because difficulty of data storage/transfer is a pretty key element in the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Sanzuo posted:

I'm wondering if using the revised combat mechanics from Black Crusade in my Rogue Trader game is a good idea. The rules are of course way better, but it might be confusing to the players.

That's what we've been doing, though there's some interesting interaction with other things in the system. Bit by bit we've converted a lot of the crunch over to Black Crusade, including the skill list (which is nice because it gets rid of poo poo like Blather) though that has required a little bit of altering of the different classes.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oh sure, but there's not really any reason it shouldn't be just an alternate use of Deceive. I'd even throw in a bonus if you have some applicable Common Lore skills which can give you a base for meandering off into nowhere. As its own skill though, it's vastly overspecific, especially compared to a skill such as, say, Tech-Use.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

"too many."

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Keep in mind also that the Sisters of Silence are supposed to be crewing the Black Ships. It's basically a bunch of super-elite Sisters of Battle, only they're all psychic nulls, too.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Also, I can't recall where it was mentioned, but it was mentioned that Imperial ships are, if anything, vastly undermanned compared to how things are done in our time. Sure, they ain't Trek ships, but there is a lot of automation going on in Imperial ships- it's just that you won't see much of it in the art.

Dauntless Light Cruiser:
4.5km long, 65,000 crew
~14.4 crew/meter

USS Enterprise
342m long, 5,800 crew
~16.9 crew/meter

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

You're forgetting to take width and height into consideration! :eng101:

It's true, I've failed. :eng99:

But I think the term you're looking for is "volume," and it's measured in cubic units ;)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Solus posted:

We're a Rank 3-4 Rogue Trader party and I'm running around with a Meltagun and a Heavy Stubber. I think our GM has started to hate us

We're rank two, and just picked up some Autocannons. It was only due to those that we managed to fend off 3 Bloodletters, though >.<

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yoshimo posted:

Apparently Space Marines can survive in space without a helmet on.

So can anyone.... briefly.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think that's specifically "promethium-based explosives," not just raw promethium.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

The Vanquisher Cannon is Accurate, does it still get a significant damage bonus based on degrees of success on the shot?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The rules for Accurate specify only Basic type weapons get that bonus damage for extra DoS.

Well that's a shame. It seems appropriately flavorful for what is the tank-cannon equivalent of a sniper rifle.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'd say their best bet (and an option which could have tons of interesting potential) is to have them connect with the organized crime in the city. If they are willing to do some dirty work, the Space-Mafia would probably be willing to expend resources to smuggle them out. Also gives your DH party a good reason to end up socializing with twists and witches, despite their predilection to kill them. Also helps bait the path to Radicalism, which is always a fun temptation.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Pariahs also generally inspire a lot of disgust and hatred due to their gift. I think a pariah in the sort of environment that Space Marine recruits pass through would probably end up dead.

EDIT: They inspire hatred due to how their aura affects others. Even if no one knows about it, they're likely to really, really loathe the guy.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

LGD posted:

Well yeah but he presumably has a greater chance of convincing an Inquisitor not to have him killed immediately (apparently already established) if he isn't espousing obvious heresy about the non-divinity of the Emperor constantly.

I'm actually pretty sure that most Space Marine chapters don't acknowledge the idea of the Emperor as a God. He's seen as the apex of mortal man, but not quite divine. Of course, I don't remember where exactly I'm remembering this from, but it's part of the reason why you have things like the Space Wolves being gone after by the Ecclesiarchy for their Wolf-Gods.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'm pretty certain each of their 13 Grand Companies are supposed to be considered as standard "chapter strength."

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, the command structure is really the problem with bringing strength to bear. Look at the Third (or Second) War for Armageddon, and how hopelessly hosed that command structure is. With everyone being their own supreme authority, it's basically a War-by-Committee.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Also, there's a ton of dudes who don't actually count against the number of dudes in a chapter. Such as all the drivers, for instance.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ashcans posted:

No, it's way dumber than that. The Dark Angels and Space Wolves were fighting together during the Great Crusade and the leader of one of the planets they were attacking called Leman Russ a bitch. So he wanted to kill him personally. Lion El'Jonson was like 'whatever man lets get this done as easily as possible', and ended up killing the guy himself. Russ got super pissed and attacked El'Jonson for disrespecting his feud, and they fought for a week to a standstill. At that point Leman Russ is like 'haha bro, glad I got that out of my system, we cool right?' but Lion El'Jonson was a super serious dude and still pissed off, so he cold-cocked Russ when his guard was down.

I thought it was post-Heresy, and the two legions were fighting side by side when the Dark Angels took off to hunt some Fallen without telling anyone, leaving the Wolves completely isolated and outflanked. I remember reading that somewhere...

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Grey Hunter posted:

Is it sad that having finished Stars of Inequity I've created a spreadsheet with drop downs to allow me to create systems quicker? no more writing out for me!

What's sad is that you haven't uploaded it for the rest of us. :colbert:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And the third is the Mercurial, a ship that I sincerely want to play a game with.

I thought Lances had to be in a prow slot on Frigates?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If that's a rule it makes a lot of sense. Do you know what page it's on?

Page 202:
"If a lance weapon is installed on a vessel of frigate size or smaller (transports and raiders, for example), it must be installed in a prow weapon slot. Lances are large and cumbersome weapons and in respects to smaller vessels, can only be installed on ships specifically designed to carry them. If a ship of frigate size or smaller does not have a prow weapon slot, it cannot carry a lance. "

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

It's pretty easy when you think of it more as "You're a freedom fighter."

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

To be honest, despite all of my players having decades of gaming experience and even though I've known everyone in the group for over a decade, this is the first time many of them have played together. So parsing how the dynamic will survive a strict group hierarchy is my biggest worry even though its probably totally unfounded.

I think group hierarchy is only as strict as your players develop it to be. Each of the characters is in command of thousands of lives on their own, and they are all already accustomed to leadership. It's not so simple as "Rogue Trader is in Charge, everyone else must obey." While that's one way to play it, keep in mind that the Rogue Trader is responsible mostly for declaring the intent of the plan, and bringing everyone else into agreement. The trick is to allow enough room for initiative amongst the leading crew so that they a) contribute, and b) don't want you dead. A Navigator is a prime example of an RT character that holds equal status with the Trader himself. Explorators, and the Mechanicum support they bring with them, are vital for analyzing new equipment, while keeping the older stuff under repair. Most Player Characters also tend to have a large body of support to fall back on, and are thus people who the captain cannot afford to alienate. Interparty struggles can be a lot of fun, but it should also sort out the command dynamic fairly easily. It's also worth asking people to clarify how they go to their position, and why they wanted to.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

So, question for people with the Navis Primer. Looking through the Warp Incursions table, I see the Warp Monster result is to be fought by the ship.

First: They can't look out at it, because it would cause them to go crazy from seeing the warp. How do they aim the guns, and how do they know what it is?

Second: The easiest stats for the monster are given as "Automatic hit at Strength 3, 1d10+2 Damage, and a Crit Rating of 5." What the hell do the Strength and Crit Rating do if there's no roll made for the attack? Since unless I'm missing something, they only dictate things based off of the degrees of success on the roll it makes to attack the ship. Can anyone clear that up for me?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

Does it have a crew competence stat? If yes, it means the GM rolls normally but treats any failure as a pass with no degrees of success. If not, those stats are basically window dressing and the monster is almost completely harmless with it's single 1d10+2 hit per turn that can be completely ignored by everything with a void shield or 12+ armor(literally every ship in the book)

Nope, no crew competence stat. Not really certain what to do with that, other than maybe give it a 40 and hand-wave it. It does ignore void shields though. Maybe I'll just have it ignore armor too?

And I'm fairly certain that sensors are shut down during void travel. Something about the Navigator's sanctum being the only place that looks outside the ship at all.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

It's the total of critical damage that matters. Someone takes 2 Critical Damage, you read off the "2" damage result. They take 3 more, and now you read off the "5" result.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

goatface posted:

Only if you're on fire for half an hour or more.

So, an Ork?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

goatface posted:

An Ork wouldn't use an Imperial Lasgun, they barely even think of them as weapons.

Who says he has to use just one? :colbert:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Don't forget about the possibility of cloning technology to increase numbers. If Krieg has them, surely the Squats can too. If you want to keep the "last Dorfs standing" feel, go ahead and make them incredibly laborious to set up, so you need to found a colony purely as a "Population Seed" colony, rather than manufacturing or research or whatever. Maybe also have similar problems to how the Raven Guard hosed up, where you can choose either the slow and steady reproduction system, or accelerate the process at the risk of creating terrible monsters.

EDIT: The slow realspace speed also works great as a plothook. Need to jump outsystem? Better stall those Orks long enough for the Fortress Ship to reach the Warp limit.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Rockopolis posted:

Not sure what the reason should be; Great Crusade stalled against the Squats, or the region has a history of Warp Storms?

Squats are classified as abhumans actually, like Ratlings or Ogryn!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Funktastic Dog posted:

But moreso than the humans? Basically, are they balanced?

Not really. They greatly prefer different kinds of game, and you'll run into a lot of situations where one of the two feels vastly underpowered.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

Really? I got a far more ah, Russian view of them. (I.e. 100 hostages+12 suspects=112 bodybags=successful mission)

Depends on what they're suspected of, I'd say. Remember the Arbites doesn't deal with dudes peddling drugs or stolen property. They're called in for the big poo poo, more like the FBI. That means you need people who can be put to the question.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

nah, that's the non-Astartes version, which just has really big batteries.

EDIT: No wait, you're right. The Human versions were in hours, and Deathwatch had a week. I don't know. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

FFG has made a lot of books, but they're also pretty deeply flawed. Rogue Trader in particular has so many problems and so much focus on unnecessary details that it's nearly unplayable for some people.