Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Your other option is a Techmarine, the Twin-Linked weapon quality, and a pile of thrones...
Or poach the Wrist Mounted upgrades from Rogue Trader and walk around telling everyone you're Marneus Calgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Hodgepodge posted:

If I remember right, Hostile Acquisitions has rules for an upgrade that lets you put a portion of your crew into cryogenic storage as need be.
There's the Cold Quarters from Into The Storm that do that, costs a lot more power though- if you've got a choice between upgrading to a Sunsear battery or giving the rabble more living space by keeping half of them in the freezer, well...

Alectai posted:

How the hell are they even supposed to be playable? Don't they need to torture everything they can so their soul doesn't get slurped up?
I thought the new DE codex had made them less retarded?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

YamiB. posted:

1d10+4 Primitive is equivalent to a dude with a regular, non-mono axe (yeah, the toxic helps but the base is pretty trivial). It's as tough as a guardsman in flak, and extra wounds only help so much when you've got low toughness and armour thanks to full-auto/scatter attacks.

The Carnosaur from Dark Heresy has 40 wounds, toughness bonus 10 and 2 armour, and deals d10+14 primitive tearing damaage. Even then, consider that RT characters in AP 6 carapace with TB 4 are only going to take about 1d10 damage from being bitten, and a full-auto burst with a boltgun is probably going to knock off 10 wounds from it.

E: I did throw a pack of them (2 and 3 downstatted young) at an RT party, but they dug a giant pit trap and had the psyker compel them to eat each other after they fell in, so I don't have any practical experience of RTs vs them.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2012

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Fayk posted:

I would say that a reasonable basis for adding SB is that one them (the lifter/claw one) 'adds' to the strength of a user (or similar, no book in front of me) for tests, not a 'treat them as if strength is x' if I recall.
It gives you a bonus on strength checks, but it also deals damage using its own strength value, not its users, so it works both ways.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I think the standard preamble they put in each Black Library 40k novel probably covers it, or at least communicates enough of the tone of the setting that 'You're the secret police/Inquisition in the pseudo-fascist theocratic feudal-ish dystopia that is mankind's only hope to survive in the grim darkness, have fun!' would be all you need. Introducing the elements of the Imperial power structures as and when necessary is probably better than describing it all beforehand.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

friendlyNeurotoxin posted:

(Won't derail the chat with warhammer 2e talk but said book is filled with stuff like this http://i.imgur.com/Kge1F.jpg nothing like giving a random npc birds for blood).
That is an incredible table. 40krpwise, the core Dark Heresy book has tables of Corruptions and Mutations that produce twisted PCs/NPCs, Rogue Trader's got another table of Navigator Mutations you might find useful, and Black Crusade has tables of more dramatic Chaos Gifts which can include replacing bodyparts with animal features, that kind of thing.

If Only War's been bumped up to a full system, then does that mean Dark Heresy's being updated too and releasing OW as a splat for DH v1 would've given it too short a lifetime?

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2012

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Liesmith posted:

Meanwhile the guy who is setting up shots, aiming for a full round, just to get the perfect called shot to the dome on some Techpriest? that guy's gonna get righteous fury once every couple of sessions.
With the new RF system in Black Crusade that seems even more off. Perhaps aimed shots with Accurate weapons and called shots need punching up a bit- RFing on a 9-10, maybe, or rolling 1d10 on the critical tables instead of 1d5. The latter version would need a limit on it though to stop 1 point plinks from killing Hive Tyrants, something like 'The best crit you can get is 5 or the damage you dealt, whichever is higher', which is a bit clunky.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Riso posted:

chapter status: understrength
chapter friends: adeptus mechanicus
chapter enemies: tyranids (nothing to steal)
To be a bit more canon, they seem to have a rivalry with the Black Legion (at least in Retribution). If you're running it pre-Retribution they've also got some sort of ties to the Alpha Legion, indirectly.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

S.J. posted:

Okay, that's what I figured. But just to clarify, are the basic combat rules and everything the same? I mean I know, like, DH handles full auto bonuses and stuff differently than the newer books.
The skill system's slightly different, BC consolidated a bunch of skills but there's a table in the BC book listing all the changes, so it's easy to tell players their Silent Move +10 advances actually buy them Stealth +10.
There's a change in how Degrees of Success are calculated (in BC passing a check gives you 1 DoS, +1 per 10, rather than just +1 per 10) but if you use the BC combat rules you shouldn't really have to change anything.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Yoshimo posted:

How easy would it be to convert an existing DH game to BC, with respect to the Combat rules? Or would it totally gently caress things up?
You can and should just use them straight up, they're far better. The only difference that might cause a problem is that Parry's a skill like Dodge in BC, but the BC book advises you give it to any class that gets cheap WS increases. Other than that, a couple of talents won't have quite the same effects they used to- for example, you can full-auto as a half action and still move so Bulging Biceps is slightly less useful.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
My bad then, I thought it was the one that let you fire on full-auto as a half action. I'm sure there was something that let you do that and also ignore bracing requirements.
E: Yep, had it confused with Auto-Stabilised.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Well yeah, that's why I said 'slightly less useful' rather than 'useless'. If you'd got it to be able to fire full or semi on the move, rather than for firing heavy weapons, then it'd be kind of wasted. After all, a lot more DH PCs have weapons with a full- or semi-auto setting than have heavy weapons.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 4, 2012

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Yoshimo posted:

Apparently Space Marines can survive in space without a helmet on.
I wonder if they've come up with a pointless justification for it like the 'Sergeants have tiny refractor fields instead of helmets' thing.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Riso posted:

Guys guys there's a precedence for this:

Blood Raven chapter master/librarian dedicated to Khorne.
He had a pretty good plot as well, it was nice to see a Khornate villain with grand ambitions.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Asehujiko posted:

What is it that gives everybody but the Commissar more Movement then they have AB? In DH being large did that but there's nothing on either of the sheets about it.

Additionally, it looks like OW is going to be closer to RT in terms of power level then DH, based on the bolt/chain starting equipment and the stats on that Ripper being better then the Vanaheim in just about anything.
The sheets are a bit simplified, I'd assume. They've folded the Ogryn's Unnatural Strength and Toughness into his size descroption, and omitted the speed bonuses/penalties from the size descriptions presumably because they can just be folded into the speed without needing to burden the new players with the details of how everything's calculated. The ratling race probably has Unnatural Speed (2) to make up for the -1 size penalty and still make them speedier than regular humans.

The power level doesn't really seem to be as high as RT. They're certainly better than most starting DH characters, but Guardsmen were always on the high end of the DH starting power. Sniper rifles have needed a boost to be actually worthwhile for quite a while, the Commissar's statline is 20s and 30s rather than 30s and 40s, and lasguns are actually pretty bitching in BC+ with the changes to semi-auto and the Variable Setting rules so bolt pistols aren't wildly OP in comparison, and the Ripper is mostly going to be fired on the move by BS 20-something lumps with almost no Fate Points to make sure it lands when you need it to.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 15, 2012

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

moths posted:

e: But it's ok because nobody showed anyway. :sigh:
That sucks, but Free RPG Day is really poorly advertised and not very widespread so it's not really a surprise. My local certainly wasn't running it, which is a bit of a shame as I was hoping to get a copy of the adventure- know if there's any PDFs of it about?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

CommissarMega posted:

Not very different, insofar as I could see; however, instead of being Aligned to a Chaos God, you get Aptitudes, which line up to Skills and talents. Have one Aptitude for them, you pay Undivided prices. Have two Aptitudes, you pay Aligned prices. No Aptitudes, Opposed prices.
That's a really good system, a nice halfway house to class-based systems. I'd thought they might do something like that, but hadn't considered putting multiple Aptitudes on each skill/talent.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Baneblade co-axial autocannons are Ogryn-proof? Do they expect enough players to rip them off Baneblades for it to need the tag?

Well, yes I guess.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

TheStampede posted:

Well they've already rolled up DW characters, so I was more concerned with the playing mechanics. I'll keep that stuff in mind though for after our first game if they feel like making new characters. Right now I think we just want to keep it simple and nail down the mechanics. We're mostly D&D 3.5 players, but I'm a huge warham, and 2 of them started playing DoW2 and got everyone interested enough to try this out with me. At least DW seems exponentially easier to handle then D&D 3.5.

Anyways, it seems like there weren't that many changes between DW and BC's combat systems. I didn't really notice what was different about the psychic powers though. Anyone mind filling me in on what I'm missing there, if anything?
The changes to full/semi auto and standard attacks are pretty major, and the better Righteous Fury rules (a d5 crit roll on the hit body part) are much more interesting.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The new Swift/Lightning Attack + Hordes can be so fun. Especially when you're using two swords.

The reaction of my RT group's GM when my Lord Captain dove into a pack of orks and blendered a dozen almost in one Lightning attack round of my power swords was great. Then again if I hadn't murdered most of them, they would've killed me in return given you can't dodge/parry horde attacks. High powered Rogue Trader combat is so terrible/awesome, its pretty much Do or Die. Its like Epic level D&D with level 1 hitpoints almost. :v:
The horde rules are really good but I wish there was a small-size option- maybe +d5 damage for every 5 magnitude? Rather than getting an extra attack per 10, getting +10 to hit per 5 and turning standard attacks into semi->semi into full? There've been plenty times in DH and RT (pre-DW) games I've been in/run when the PCs have come up against groups of enemies that aren't big enough to be actual hordes, but the system's still fallen flat.

The most ridiculous example I've been in was and RT session where we interrupted a cult meeting and attempted to persuade them the RT was their messiah with a flashy psychic display but ended up summoning a daemon instead. We drove a car through the wall to run it over, and then the cult turned on us- but it was apparent anyone with AP 5+ and TB 3+ was immune to their primitive melee attacks, so the psyker in Flak just waited in the car whilst the rest of the party cut the 20-odd cultists down. If they made 1/5 the attacks but with an extra d5 damage they'd have been a weak threat, rather than complete nonissues.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Liesmith posted:

Losing arms and poo poo should be awesome for a techpriest though, they love turning into robots. Critical damage is not something for roboman to be sad about, it's an opportunity to become even closer to a perfect immortal machine
That's a pretty good solution. He took the critical damage to the Arm? Wipe the damage if he replaces that arm, it'll only take a day or two.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Kharol posted:

I'm running into the same issue in my Only War campaign right now. Between the Storm Trooper and Heavy with TB 6 and Storm Trooper Carapace, and the Psyker with TB 4, UnT 4, and a Good Quality Carapace Chestplate, most conventional weaponry is bouncing right off them. They're on a world that's been cut off from the Imperium for a thousand years, regressing to a nomads with autoguns situation. I could be using Accurate weapons to really lay on the hurt, but that ends up skirting dangerously close to a TPK (say, an opposing squad, prone, with cover and sniper rifles? That is seriously a Quality in need of rebalancing.). Of course, the situation is going to turn around when the nomads begin tapping into their lost-to-history Imperial weapon caches.
You could try using enemy comrades? Adding a sarge with "Get Them!" to the enemy squad and having them buddy up into comrade pairs could put +4 damage on half as many attacks, which is enough to consistently hurt but not be swingy & randomly TPK- like if you were only adding 1 extra attack but at a full +1d10 damage from implementing the opposition as a horde. Plus then you've got a clear target for the PCs to go after.

Really though there need to be some Horde Lite rules for these situations, mid-level Dark Heresy parties and Rogue Trader ones. The most straightforward thing would be every 5 magnitude grants +1d5 damage, but that seems a bit feeble. An extra 2 DoS on semi-/full-auto attacks per 5 magnitude along with the +1d5 damage? That'd make a 5-man squad a reasonable foe for most starting RT characters. I've been wanting to see if that actually works, but haven't had the opportunity.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Generally I find that the smallest ship that can still give flexibility for the players while not being huge is a raider or frigate. Otherwise there isn't much room unless you use good/best components.

Orion Star Clippers are an option, although they have no armor to speak of. You could also look at the Litany of Avarice as another example; it's a frigate I put together in the pirate PbP game I am running.

How do you guys feel about the Mathhammer alternate rules for ship combat?
They're great. They really help with frigate v. frigate matches, not needing to land at least 3 hits to do any damage makes things far less frustrating. Plus not having a different set of weapon/armour rules for the players to remember keeps things easier, if you don't run starship combats as often as regular ones.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Eh, ship combat is a teensy bit awkward. Printing out a sheet of combat actions to give to the players helps, otherwise unless they're all leafing through their own copies of the rulebook 3e-wizard-style you end up having to constantly remind them of options.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
There's some interesting potential for causing drama within the Tau here- we know that strangely they don't have an open history of genetic engineering, just directed breeding. What if that's because the Etherials don't want the Earth caste stumbling across something? If the Kill-Team run into a group of Tau scientists who've found proof they're programmed to obey and have had to flee to avoid being liquidated, they could be used to kickstart a new Farsight-style revolution. Cue wrangling over whether or not to work with xenos, attempts to prevent the scientists from receiving suicide orders they have no choice but to obey, and hijacks of Water Caste propaganda stations to start a civil war.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Well, they *almost* enter the warp, it wouldn't be too odd if at the closest point something jumps across.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Jerkface posted:

Well are you super chaotic? The imperium isn't a very nice place, so you could simply come from the angle of wanting more modern freedoms. You'd be a heretic, but not the moustache twirling baby sacrficing kind.
Well, not initially. You might start off just wanting an end to the oppression and conformity, but before long Slaanesh starts whispering that if you revel in your newfound freedoms they'll grant you power to liberate others. Gradually self-expression gets corrupted by the Warp into self-indulgence, then self-obsession and eventually you're stitching cloaks out of human eyelids because you think they'd be a perfect fit for you.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Yeah, the system struggles a bit even at Rogue Trader level. They kind of missed a trick there- by releasing a separate system for each game, they could've had different resolution mechanics for the same stats. Even something as simple as 'full auto uses average damage' would help.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
The Ordo Malleus NPC generator is pretty useful for building & archiving NPCs, but the major problem I've found with most NPCs is keeping track of what the traits actually do, and it doesn't help with that.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Yeah, it's also a result in a few of the creature generators. Pretty sure it's never seen enough play for FF to notice it could instagib anyone with a semi-auto gun or Swift Attack though.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Zereth posted:

Each degree of success adds a hit roll, and my Unrelenting Devastation adds 1 point of magnitude damage per hit.
Heavy Bolter does 2d10+10 and I rolled for each of the 6 hits :
2d10+10=28, 2d10+10=19, 2d10+10=24, 2d10+10=23, 2d10+10=27, 2d10+10=23
Total = 144 points of damage - 3 for Toughness Bonus - 0 for No Armour

For every 15 points of damage we remove 1 damage from magnitude.

That's 9 damage to magnitude, plus another 6 for each hit = 15 magnitude damage.
So the Horde's magnitude drops from 32 to 17.

Is that all correct?
Each extra hit has toughness and armour applied individually, but that's not actually relevant- the '15 damage' mentioned in the example is just 'As long as it would do any damage, for example 15 which is a number >0, it removes 1 magnitude'. As far as I can tell you should've done 6 magnitude (1 per hit) +6 (+1 per hit from Unrelenting Devastation) +1 for using an Explosive-damage weapon. So 13 damage.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 6, 2013

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Clanpot Shake posted:

Anyway, that still leaves them 'strategically withdrawing' from the depot. They'd just made it into the Chimera and to the gate, but they've got half a dozen guardsmen/genestealer cultists and a trio of tyranid things hitching a ride when we had to call it a night. Not sure where to pick up after this.
Hey, if you really wanted to ram home the war thing, there's a military base that needs assaulting now. As the last 'recon group' to come back, they can have the honour of spearheading the assault by going ahead and using their intel to weaken the defences. Cynics might suggest they're being sent on a near-suicidal assault as a chance to redeem themselves rather than getting executed for cowardice, but cynicism is heresy.

Bonus: it means you don't waste the prep on the base, and they get to blow up an entire warehouse full of explosives with a demo pack (or basilisk bombardment flare or whatever).

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Bavius posted:

Well, Rogue Trader probably isn't far behind. It's not like they'd have to do much to change the rest of their systems. What I mean is that with V2.0 of Dark Heresy, we'll be seeing Rogue Trader 2.0 and the rest in due course. Just hoping for later rather than sooner because I've barely used the books I bought :smith:

Curious as to what is actually prompting the change, is Dark Heresy pretty stale in comparison to Only War?
It depends how they update it, as well. OW is recent too but far more similar to RT. I wouldn't necessarily expect them to keep the same changes to for example the wound system for RTv2, as it's supposed to be more heroic so a HP buffer rather than 'every hit hurts' would be more in-keeping.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Ashcans posted:

Note that there is Errata regarding combining Scatter and autofire. I have just copied this from the errata document:

So in your specific question, the shooter would get their first hit at 45, second hit at 25 (from semiauto). Then, separately, they would get an additional hit at 25 from Scatter, giving him three hits total.

You then determine hit locations; you rolled a 14, so you reverse the numbers and reference 41 on table 7-7, Hit Locations. 41 is Body. Now, because you have multiple hits from the attack, you reference table 7-6 to see where the additional two hits went: Body, and Arm. So your target has taken two hits to the Body, and one to the Arm.

Now you roll damage for each hit, subtract Toughness and Armor for the location from the respective shots, and apply any excess to wounds.
So if RoF has replaced the semi/full settings, can you fire any weapon on semi/full now, like you could swift/lightning attack with any melee weapon? Or is it only RoF 3 weapons can full auto, say?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Night10194 posted:

RoF completely replaced Full Auto. There's no actual bonus/penalty for single/semi/full anymore and they aren't separate actions. The number of attacks in your burst is just equal to the RoF multiplied by how many AP you spent attacking, out of your 4 per turn.
So is that 1 attack roll per RoF per AP? That seems like it'd get inconvenient fast.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Well, it's more that they've been described accurately as lasers, rather than lasers as we're used to seeing them.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

kingcom posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I've always read as them having weird non-laser things like recoil and stuff.
Well, you get a 'crack' for the same reason as you get one in lightning; they heat the air and you get a sudden pressure wave. At least in the 2e and Necromunda weapons lists they also explicitly mentioned that lasguns worked (realistically) by rapid heat transfer- flash-cooking flesh, causing it to burst from the sudden boiling water created rather than working like industrial cutting lasers.

For recoil, that might just be a 40kism like caseless bolter cases, but you could handwave it with hot coolant gas venting or something.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

SquadronROE posted:

So I'm actually having a little trouble trying to think of how a tech priest is going to be useful during combat. His skills aren't bad, but it doesn't seem like he has a lot of talents that lend themselves to being useful in combat.
They get cheap toughness advances, bonuses to healing, free implants that grant bonus armour and an extra attack each round from their Ballistic Mechadendrites (as a reaction). Tech-priests are killing machines.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Signal posted:

First: They can't look out at it, because it would cause them to go crazy from seeing the warp. How do they aim the guns, and how do they know what it is?
The Imperium might be backwards, but they don't aim guns by eye. Space battles take place across tens of thousands of kilometers, so they'll just use sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

goatface posted:

Quick skim of books suggests that's how they work in every game. Crit 2 on a leg followed by 3 damage to an arm means crit 5 on the arm.

Most games have the option of/recommend that generic enemies follow the "sudden death" critical rules, where any critical outright kills them. Only significant enemies should actually have to work their way down the crit table. Just assume the party are walking around and executing the unconscious/massively wounded enemies before they leave.
Yeah, it's a houserule but I prefer splitting crit damage by location, it's a pretty good way to make PCs more survivable and makes horrible maimery more common.