Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Factory Factory posted:

Delidding will only help if you're heat-limited, and it doesn't sound like you are. If you can't hit 4.6 GHz at 1.35V or whatever crazy voltage you feel safe at with the H100i (albeit at 100 C), you won't hit it after delidding.

If you gonna spend for like $100+ for a Z97 mobo + cooling, might well buy the better binned 4790K to run at stock with a cheaper mobo which mine only runs 1.05V @ 4.2GHz 4C/8T and HT enabled. Ever since Devil's Canyon I always find it kinda pointless to spend so much to OC a 4690K for like ~400MHz more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rexxed posted:

Yeah it's good for overclocking. Depending on your uses the i5-4690K might be a better choice; it depends if you have use for hyperthreading with tasks that are highly multithreaded like video rendering, 3d modelling and the like. For gaming the quad core i5 is the best value for money since most games only have 1-3 threads. X99 isn't worthwhile for most people.

Take a look at the OP in the PC Building and Parts Picking Megathread.

If you ask me, OCing as a value for money activity is dead for Haswell.

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64370&start=60

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

craig588 posted:

The OP was written around the time when Sandybridges were dying kind of more often than you'd like and people were working on theories as to why they were dying. Temperature is an easy quick "Fix this first" thing, but after years of people overclocking and stressing them it's most likely that the reason people were killing early Sandybridges was sending nearly 1.5V through them. The way to keep temperatures below 72C was to reduce overclocks and voltages so everyone ended up significantly less than 1.5V and saved their processors. These days I wouldn't be bothered at all up to the mid 80s under full load (with voltages under 1.4V as well).

I'm pretty sure the temps alone won't kill anything since thermal throttling already takes care of it, otherwise Intel wouldn't have bothered to bundle their crappy stock cooler with a 4790K.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lockback posted:

Ok, figured it out. The extreme 4 Z730 has a MASSIVE default AVX offset, to the tune of 800-1.4GHZ MHZ clock drop. And it doesn't cleanly release it after the AVX test is done. Apparently setting it to 0 sets it to "Auto"(aka, 800MHZ+), and the lowest you can set it to is 100MHZ.

That seems really frickin dumb and I just spent several hours chasing down potential power and thermal throttling.

I'm not surprised one bit. BIOS software design has never been a strong suit of the Taiwanese mobo makers.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Is enabling XMP on a 8700K jacking up VCCSA to 1.28V and VCCIO 1.2V considered an expected normal behaviour? If I put them at default I can only run my 3200MHz RAM at 3000MHz speeds at the same latencies stable in Memtest86.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ciaphas posted:

If I don't recall exactly where I bought my RAM or what model it is (except that it's Corsair, CPU-Z tells me), is there any way to tell what its timing settings SHOULD be/what I can set them to maximally (er, minimally, I guess)? I've been loving around with bios settings all morning and I'm starting to lose track of everything.

Is turning on an XMP profile supposed to set those for me? I know it sets frequency settings automatically but I don't know about timings.

(e) Here's a pastebin of what CPU-Z thinks right now if that helps.

Assuming you are using Intel, the first thing to do is ironically not to enable XMP (most boards seem to overvolt the gently caress out of these two voltages, possible longevity-be-damned-YOLO mode when XMP is enabled to impress the kiddos on how "easy" it is to OC), then manually set Vccsa and Vccio to the default values, put the RAM timings on auto mode, voltage at 1.35V and the clock at 2400MHz.

Then slowly ramp the RAM clock up by 100MHz and see how far you get it to finish a quick 4 passes of test #6 in Memtest86 without any errors. Rinse and repeat until it does. By this point, either you can increase the abovementioned Vccsa and Vccio, or back down 100MHz to get it stable. After which you can at this point also lower the DRAM voltage where it can still pass, then add 0.01V to it. After whatever fiddling do the whole battery of 4 pass memtest86 test again (you can choose to disable the last and useless rowhammer test beforehand)

Palladium fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 8, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Mobo makers should just let us set custom CPU vcore/freq curves like for Pascal GPUs than the still half-assed vcore methods in loving 2018.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Craptacular! posted:

I've never overclocked poo poo and shied away from OCing this 3770K for five years, but one thing that annoys the hell out of me is that my Asus motherboard apparently ups the voltage on it's own in response to your changing the multiplier, and people five years ago thought this was a good thing. And nothing written in the time when this thing was new and anybody cared even bothered to mention VRMs, which I don't know if that means the heatsinks were better then or what.

Intel stock VIDs scales exponentially with clocks as part of the design. The stupid thing is the mobo makers add even more volts with default auto mode on top of that to sell the "OCing is so easy" meme to the masses who wouldn't know they are running hilariously overvolted CPUs for 10% more performance at 100% more power draw.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 26, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The rule of thumb is don't trust Auto anything even when running not OCing.

Put Vcore to offset +0V and manually set the rest of the voltages to stock (Google them for whatever platform you are on) then start tweaking from there.

Yeah, I do agree the out-of-the-box OCing/overvolting shenanigans without any sort of prior warning on current mobos is getting too far now.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 4, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

I think time will tell, maybe the motherboard manufacturers are right and all those voltages are safe to use for longer periods of time. My Asus Z370 board would dial in over 1.4V VccSA/VccIO with their 5 GHz profile and XMP even though 1.175V is just as stable.
Similarly for CPU Standby, Core PLL and some other voltages that I'm not even sure what they're doing. The Asus auto settings tend to work very well but what's the point when they degrade or even kill your CPU/IMC after a year of use.
I'd love to know their testing methods and whether these profiles are in any way approved by Intel. :shrug:

Call me a chicken, but when Intel doesn't specify max safe voltages for Vccsa/Vccio in their own official technical documents I'm ain't going put anything above the stock 0.95/1.05V, especially when all they do is to squeeze out an insignificant +200MHz out of my DDR4 and I also plan to keep my 8700K rig for at least 5 years. I also downvolted my DDR4-3200 to 1.25V because why not if its already stable there.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Revol posted:

I was running 4.5ghz last night, but I came home today to my system unresponsive, so back to 4.0.

That would be the Turbo Ratio here? I don't understand what you mean by "core count not number". Does it mean that, according to this image, the clock slowly goes down when more cores are being used?

(Image not mine, found on overclock.net)

IIRC leave the clock ratio auto and put the turbo ratio to 40 if you want 4GHz.

And drat that's one old school Award BIOS there.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

craig588 posted:

My 2500K does 4.3GHz on the stock voltages and 4.5GHz at 1.35. Since it's not my main machine anymore it's going along at 4.3GHz. Spent 4 years or so doing 4.5GHz, I replaced it when Broadwell-E came out, I think that was early 2016, and I got the 2500K in late 2011.

Mine couldn't break 4.4GHz and I ran it 4.3GHz for 4 years before I sold the CPU and mobo off.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My DDR4 manages 3000 @ 1.25V on a 8700K, but gives memtest errors at 3200 no matter what without touching VCCSA/IO voltages.

These days the weak link is the IMC not the RAM per se.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shaocaholica posted:

So I dug my Z87/4770k system out of storage and I want to OC it again. I totally forgot all the details and started watching a bunch of videos and they all say to OC using manual voltage override but when ready to use the system switch to adaptive voltage with the caveat that adaptive voltage will blow up my CPU under synthetic load. Surely there's got to be an additional 'max' setting on adaptive voltage so under synthetic load it will ramp up but only until a user defined upper limit so as to not brick the CPU. Since the VRM is on chip, does that mean such a feature would have to be implemented by Intel and not something a motherboard maker would be able to do even if they wanted?

I always used offset mode with HWinfo to see the real max voltages direct from the mobo sensors and never trusted adaptive.

Haswell first gen has like the worst OC headroom out of the post-SB chips anyway that even 4.3GHz is going to be a challenge.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I would love to tinker with X58 and Westmeres but the boards are always so goddamned expensive since launch till today versus new alternatives.

Is $140 for a i7-930 + Asus X58 Sabretooth a good deal?

craig588 posted:

If you're stuck with 1156 you can get a X3470 for like 30 dollars. Only 4 cores, but should overclock well. The X3480 is 133MHz faster stock but the ones I found were all 100+ dollars probably due to it being the highest end 1156 processor.

Edit: Or just overclock the 750, there's very little difference between 1156 models. I thought the Xeon would be cooler or have more cache or something, but nope it's basically the same except for more clock speeds and Hyperthreading.

760 is generally much better binned than 750 but S1156 is so meeeeeeh for being stuck at 4 cores

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 8, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Eletriarnation posted:

Not really because any 1366 quad is virtually worthless at this point - good hexcores are worth a little but all the value is in the mobo. You can pay for it if you want to tinker but I can't pretend it's a superior approach for getting a hexcore vs a new Ryzen system - it might be cheaper, but with as much age as all X58 boards have you're definitely taking a chance.

e: for anyone who has 1156, get an X3440 if you can OC because it's the cheapest model with HT. I use one of those in my work desktop with a 25% OC, works great. Seemed to be OK up to around 4.0 but for a work machine I didn't care about pushing it to the edge.

That what's I'm talking about, but I also like holding a piece of computing history.

Nobody really wants the S1156 Xeons since almost everyone who bought into the platform new would also have at least a i5-750. I'll think I would just stick to tinkering my $20 Xeon E5450 and upcoming $0 X38 mobo.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Cool. Thanks again. I bought an x5660 for $30 off ebay and it'll be here in a few days.

What's a good benchmark app to use to measure general performance before and after?

Cinebench R15. 4GHz on all cores should net you a MT score ~900, slightly better than a stock 4790K.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I stumbled upon a free Asus A7N8X and MSI nForce4 SLI mobos still in pristine condition, so I am planning to OC a $5 Barton 2500+, $20 Opteron 175 with $10 4GB DDR1 3200 as a retro Win XP build for shits and giggles.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

gently caress yes. What are you cooling it with??

My friend got a 2500+ to 3GHz by leaving his PC on a windowsill in -5C.

I dunno, its actually quite a PITA to find a cheap and good Socket 370/A heatsink now, I should never have thrown away my old Socket A cooler master Aero 7+. In contrast, most of the new coolers are all compatible from the latest CPUs all the way back to S939.

And AMD's thermal protection loving sucks on Socket A.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 9, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Ugh I was so happy when a stranger sponsored me a Athlon XP 1800+ and a Socket A cooler, that I totally forgot about the dreaded bad caps fiasco of the Athlon XP / P4 era. The Nichicon caps on my MSI nForce2 board exploded immediately after power on while the A7N8X was fine for 30 mins until I saw one cap bulging before I cut off the power.

Now I'm unsure whether the S939 K8 boards are safe or not.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They're through hole caps? They'd be super easy to replace.

The soldering is easy but finding replacement caps without spending a relative bomb is the hard part.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Well, it's not like you have to run MSI Afterburner manually everytime or on startup to make the OC persistent.

Trust me Pascal software OCing is only like a million times better and safer than loving around with the GPU BIOS.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Red_Fred posted:

Are hangs and restarts symptomatic of an unstable video card OC? I thought I had mine good (probably 15 hours in three different games with no issues) then out of the blue I got a random restart last night.

If your PC runs P95 and Furmark fine for 5 mins, and also succeeds in 4 passes of memtest86 block move pattern it's highly unlikely the CPU/GPU/RAM is the culprit.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
VID is the voltage the CPU is requesting, Vcore is the actual voltage supplied by the mobo that goes into your CPU.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My experience with Realbench is it's just not stressful enough: it can run forever on a CPU without errors but yet the same CPU can still fail within the 1st min of P95.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Indiana_Krom posted:

Not necessarily, it just seems to be wildly variable plus XMP/Auto tends to send it flying all over the place and most people don't check to see where it lands at. I did quite a bit of hunting around in online forums from basically every major motherboard vendor when I was fighting my XMP settings and found mountains of conflicting information from anything over 1.2v will turn your CPU into a plasma torch that will burn a hole in the socket to auto 1.35v is fine for daily OC use. The only general consensus seemed to be that stock 0.9v Intel spec only works for the base JEDEC timings/frequency of the DIMMs and pretty much never works for XMP.

I managed 3000MHz 16-18-18-36 with 2x16GB Hynix sticks on Z370 stock volts.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Whats the consensus for max safe 24/7 VCCSA/VCCIO voltages for CFL chips? My Micron E-dies are coming and I would wanna drive them at 3600C16.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

1.2V-1.25V is what most people think is the max safe 24/7 setting, though many motherboards set them much higher with high frequency XMP profiles and there aren’t many reports of degradation yet. 3600 shouldn’t require more than 1.1-ish Volt though.
Be aware that setting these voltages too high can also cause instability.

TLDR: :iiam:

My new 2x16GB Micron E-die came and runs stable on 3500C16 @ 1.32V, under stock vccsa/vccio to boot too.

Waaaay better than my old 2x16GB Hynix AFR (Corsair LPX Vengeance 3200C16) that took monstrous vccsa/vccio volts to even run at the rated XMP speed.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
blown any caps yet