Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I haven't followed this thread in forever but checked the past few pages and didn't see if it had been posted yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/summer-of-science-2015/latest/grilling-your-steak-over-lava

Lava steaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My wife can cook pretty well and is probably better at it than she realizes after getting into it due to some dietary needs and for frugality.

However, she actively dislikes cooking and sees it as just a necessity so since we've been together I think she's cooked for me maybe 5 times in 3 years. She does all the dishes though without complaint so it works out nicely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cracklins, fried in lard.

Those would be awesome and I wish I had an excuse to increase fat intake to have them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cracklins people, cracklins.

That Works fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 22, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How are yall losing your taste / smell?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We made some really good Vietnamese style salt cured limes, but other than making salty limeade or plopping them in cold gin I can't figure out what to with them. Besides drink lots of gin, of course.

I think you found the solution.

Also how are some of you losing your sense of taste? What is happening?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gin and Tonic is really really good if you dump it down the sink and then add whisky and ice to the glass.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

I have the problem of having underweight daughters - who I need to feed protein in bulk loads, and who loathe beans...

I cannot go vege, which would be a good thing for their biological mother and myself.

My youngest hasn't ever been a picky eater, but she eats very limited, what I can get into her needs to be loaded on every macronutrient, I mean - this is the kid who loves chocolate, but quits after half a piece because she has had enough...

How would a vege approach that kind of situation?

As therattle said, eggs, yogurt, cheese? Do they like / stomach those? Good alternatives to beans I guess. Maybe working in nut butters into stuff?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Just picked up a quarter cow. I'm kind of mad because they gave me a bunch of cube steak that I said I didn't want on the phone and the other steaks were cut to quarter inch thickness. I don't understand why they had to chop up everything so much or pound things I wanted whole. I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing but am I being unreasonable here?

I'd be furious if I got a bunch of steak meat and it was all 1/4" thick cut. That really limits the ways you can prep it by a lot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

I wouldn't even be mad if they weren't quarter inch! I don't understand wtf I'm supposed to do with quarter inch steaks. It's either sv to medium rare or sear for color. I guess I can sv, then freeze before sear.

I'm trying to get my anger down before I email about this.

Man, you typing about it is making me angry and I'm not even involved. That really sucks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mrs. Squashy has started a 9-5 office job, her first ever (she can't chef anymore since her foot surgery). This is the first time she has ever had weekends off, on Friday nights we've been doing a pizza and beer party.

Last night my buddy ordered a pie called "The Mack Daddy", which is Big Mac pizza: hamburger and cheese pizza, and then after they pull it out of the oven, they pile shredded lettuce, chopped pickles and onions on top, and then squirt special sauce all over it. It was greasy, but it was loving GOOD. I never imagined that I would like iceberg lettuce and/or pickles on a pizza!

Was this from some southshore place or somewhere close to the city?

In text it sounds terrible but I've seen stranger things work out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's possible that wherever it's cut could be contaminated and that possibility is going to be a function of how well that slaughterhouse is run / maintained and if any of the cows at that time are carrying something particularly infectious (Like E. coli O157:H7 etc).

If you're worried about it then a quick sear on the outside will solve it or a wash in salt / vinegar.

Many slaughterhouses also use 2% lactic acid washes on the meat / equipment as part of their cleanup but that's generally with a whole carcass before butchering.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Triskelli posted:

I know this forum is more for cooking food than growing it, but I don't know where else to ask short of signing up for some obscure fruit-forums account. We got a pomegranate tree from the previous owners of this house, and the fruits are getting close to what seems to be the right size. We're concerned though, because the reddening is extremely patchy and uneven and about half of each fruit has an appearance of dark leather with crackled skin. I tried looking up diseases but was inconclusive. Does anyone know about this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

That's the veggie and herb gardening thread. There's also some other DIY gardening / botany thread out there but I can no longer find the link. Might be worth a post in there as well if you don't find what you need here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cyberia posted:

I recently got a housemate as my finances have been a bit tight and having someone to share the rent sounded like a good idea. However this is the first time I've ever lived with someone that wasn't family or a girlfriend and it's my housemate's first time living away from home (she's in her early 20s).

So when she moved in I showed her the kitchen, told her there's a couple of knives I leave out (a chef's knife and a small serrated knife) that she's welcome to use when she's cooking. The first morning she was there I got up to find that she'd dug through my good knife drawer and decided to use a boning knife to cut up some fruit for her breakfast. After I :psyduck:'d a bit I told her that she probably didn't need to use a boning knife to cut fruit and that the two knives I leave out will cut absolutely anything she needs to cut.

The second morning I found that she'd dug through my knife drawer again and used my big gently caress-off carving knife to cut her fruit. This morning she used a bread knife :psyboom:

When I get home from work today I am putting my knifes away in a knife roll and buying some poo poo knives from Walmart or somewhere to leave out for her to destroy.

I don't think I'm going to like having a housemate :(

Had roomates cut up a sandwich with this really thin blade chef knife I love. Not only did they cut it on a tile counter but also cut through the tin foil wrapper. Took forever to get that blade back in good shape.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My ex girlfriend's mom tried to be helpful and soaked my carbon steel petty knife before running it through the dishwasher. After that she was never allowed to help in the kitchen again.

:smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tablespoon aka 15 milliliters. Christ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nooner actually makes normal posts / questions before getting to the more, uh... interesting ones.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just hit last page and go from there. All the mega threads and even this one go in cycles i.e. what's a sandwich, this very topic or lmfao. I do think they could be closed/refreshed on occasion to help promote posting. I also think a lot of the perceived elitism is just that people don't like to be told that what they're doing is wrong or ineffective. There was similar backlash in the knife thread about the pull through sharpeners, but it truly is bad advise to advise their use if someone is looking to improve themselves or their cooking. GBS posts like freezing an egg whole is a good way to make it food safe :wtc: or "put a latin kick" is whitenoise garbage and if you follow it, only a good way to waste food.

I think a problem is that people tend to react the same way towards an obvious poo poo post vs someone who is just uninformed and that's offputting for everyone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nooner came into the cajun thread and I thought it was pretty funny and obviously a jokepost and nothing happened after that was bad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

well.. gently caress this, not worth the time really

It'll run its course

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tom Brady posted:

Can't we have both?

Is there a reason we can't? Maybe you all can learn how to laugh and some other people can learn a thing or two about cooking

It doesn't need to have both. Probably easier overall without it but if the mods think that makes the subforum less accessible then that's where it's at I guess?

I didn't find it elitist or exclusive here and I post all over the place. I have no formal training in cooking and never will. Cooking is a lot of fun though and I've learned more from this subforum than any other on SA.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I have an idea - let's talk about food instead of talking about talking about talking about food.

I have a vac packed bone in pork shoulder that I'm thinking about boiling (or simmering) in the sealed package as a super-low super-slow affair. Will this be a disaster? I've never tried anything like this before.

It could work but pork shoulder is a cut that works fine just cooking low and slow outside of any bag since it's got so much fat in it. Cooking low and slow to a just above rare temperature might be better for a thick chop or tenderloin.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I give more of a poo poo than I probably should, but much like Happy Hat I don't see any reason to discuss my personal feelings on the Internet with a bunch of random people, some of whom are kinda being dicks right now.

Yeah you're right I really should be wading in there and probating/banning/gassing en mass because clearly that's the best-

I'm getting some mixed signals here.

And actually I have been doing things about things. When people get truly obnoxious (as opposed to just mildly annoying) they get probations. I've gassed a few threads; not many, but then again I hear my best moderation is my non-moderation so I don't want to do too much lest I return to being a Bad Mod. If threads prove to be consistently bad or problematic, I close them (see: Michelada thread).

I don't get flashy with probation messages or post in here when I do something. I just do it. If you don't notice it, that's fine. It probably improves your opinion of my moderation (at least sometimes).

Looks like someone needs to commit Santoku

I'll show myself out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

He said as if he actually knew what good food is, was, and can be.

GWS gets a bad rap for being insular and elitist sometimes and I disagreed with that because I've been a novice at food yet posted here for a long time and gotten a lot out of it.

But you... you're being an elitist jerk.

If non GWS regulars are posting here for the "lulz" you're playing right into it. If non GWS regulars are new to the place and read things like your posts they probably wouldn't want to stick around.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm havin whitebeans and rice with some grilled kielbasa.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I still run one of the kitchens, and my name's on the menu.

I get it though, I'm a dick. It comes with the territory, everything needs to be short and to the point. There's not a lot of time in a kitchen to be polite and make sure nobody gets upset because the people in the dining room don't care.

GWS isn't your workplace.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Hating and hate-loving are completely different things

:laffo:

Most of yall need to chill. GWS isn't sacred ground.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Test Pattern posted:

All GWS/SO does is laugh at itself. Nothing you've done or said is funny, just obnoxious. I like it here because it's a cooking forum where even when people take things deadly seriously, they're also jokey and friendly about it. The tablespoon thing is a perfect loving example (units varying from country to country is a pain in the loving rear end and nonsense and YES, using fully a third more or a quarter less butter can RUIN a loving baking recipe or break a sauce) of people joking about a frustrating thing and how absurd it is and actually being informative.

Coming in here and spouting ableist, homophobic and racist slurs is not funny (and whoever put the n-word in CdC's should strongly consider turning off their computer and never speaking to anyone ever again). Your stupid threads are not funny. Making fun of people who have been perfectly loving hospitable to anybody with even the most inane cooking or food question -- IF ASKED IN GOOD FAITH -- is not funny, and certainly not likely to engender feelings of good will or further hospitality.

The real problem here is that GBS isn't even GBS anymore, is FYAD, and the quarantine has broken.

How have you been here since 2007 and don't understand how this works?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

The gently caress happened to this place?

FYAD GBS is leaking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Desetr Eagle posted:

Yeah and using catch phrases will definitely help matters

Calm down

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

No reason it can't be that way again. To me it just seems that GWS has become largely just a chat / Q+A type of place. Not as much 'performance' goin around.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As for the garlic press, drat you guys should lighten the gently caress up. I can think garlic presses are dumb, I can tell you they're dumb. Get over it, grow some loving thick skin, ignore me, and move on.

e: they're still dumb. Just smash the clove with your knife, and work it back and forth into a paste. Having poor knife skills is not an excuse for owning a thing that just pastes garlic.

An autist in the wild, unable to accept their own advice.

I think just a few posters like you are why a lot of people stay away from this subforum.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Geez.

I found my spreadsheet tracking the NICSA: Breakfast that I hosted/organized. It had 53 entries. We get what, 2-4 tops now when we do a regular one?

I'm all for one of these again or just limiting the number of dishes for a regular ICSA. It's intimidating as gently caress to make a 3 course meal when you're not used to making even a single one but are interested in learning.

Lookit all the entries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dfRMUvVZ1HWp-1Eu3CglB4anczmgu3Da6VxCwnkCcTU/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe make an NICSA with something silly and link it back to GBS? You'll get a couple serious attempts, a lot of really lovely posts and probably several legitimately hilarious attempts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Get thicker skin, ignore my anger over stupid kitchen gadgets, and post food.

A chef getting mad in the chat thread. If you can't take the heat....

this one was linked to GBS and we got loads of amazing entries, those URLs all still work and at least some of them have working images.

Nice. Yeah that's pretty cool. I think getting a little more exposure to ICSA / NICSA would help a lot. Even here I don't always know when one is going on because most of the time I am crusing through bookmarked threads on control panel and not checking the entire subforum. Advertising in this thread when they come up helps certainly as would bringing them outside of the subforum again. I can't remember ever seeing one posted about beyond GWS before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks like ICSA is kinda been dead for a while and needs a new thread

Wroughtirony posted:

And if one of you wants to take over and curate the ICSA OP....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

5 dishes??

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Its more that opening back up ICSA with a 5 dish requirement doesn't help for getting more people involved.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

That's not very many and you have a whole month. Also I'm told there will be an NICSA posting soon if that's more your speed (not being snotty, I have no idea what your skill level is).

Not talkin about myself, just if the point was to get it started and get more people involved then a lower number of dishes might facilitate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Desetr Eagle posted:

Do you think that ironic gbs racists go around lynching black people too? You're ignoring the fact that there has never been a girl that ever once grew up thinking "I want people to pay me to let them put their dicks in my vag" and have even framed the joke as that girl (hopefully) grown up as a woman, now a corpse, being hosed by another very unlucky soul.

Congrats dude you can ironically joke about two of the least fortunate groups of people on earth in an attempt to describe how much you despise people that made silly threads about food that you don't like

You are a piece of loving trash

That sure is something awful