Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I’m sure I’ve written this here before but cooking vegetarian has greatly improved my cooking skills.

Me too. Except, I don't think it was the skills so much as the knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I remember in the before times, when people said using alcohol as a coping mechanism was always bad and if you found yourself doing it you should stop drinking entirely.

I don't drink (well ok, sometimes beer or wine with a meal), but legal weed in Massachusetts has been really good for my coping.

The Dispensaries have been labeled essential, just like The Packies (yes, people actually refer to liquor stores in this way).
I was skeptical about legal weed at first, but I'm totally onboard now. I get super high-quality product for less then the black market price, and it's all perfectly legal. I can just walk into a loving store and buy it, no dumb rear end stoners to call.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do you distinguish between what constitutes skill versus knowledge in regards to cooking? Personally I think it tends to be a kind of symbiotic relationship and they develop in parallel.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less sense that makes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, vanilla is getting expensive and hard to find.

Plus, I just bought some pods off of Amazon, and I'm totally disappointed in the quality: small, short pods without much pulp. Goddamn it.

EDIT: just left a 2 star review on Amazon. While the product has overwhelmingly positive reviews, the vast majority of the negative reviews came since Jan 1 2020.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 1, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I paid $4 a piece for my disappointing ones, so $7 each sounds about right.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Here is a pic from one of the recent 2-star reviews:

On the left, what they should look like, on the right, what he got. Mine were even shorter and skinnier.

The Penzey's whole pods are listed at $7.33 apiece, but they are out of stock. I'm guessing they can't find beans of high enough quality.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My vanilla sugar (that I just made from the skinny pods) smells all kinds of wrong and I might throw it out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I add it after pouring, but sometimes I grate a little fresh nutmeg on top of my coffee.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I had a jalapeno plant last year because someone gave me one and I was blown away by how tasty they were after i forgot about them for a while and they mostly ripened past green to red. They were sweet, fruity and delicious, much better than all the other jalapenos I've ever eaten.

Jalapenos vary A LOT, but they tend to have way more flavor when vine-ripened.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm in a food group on Facebook that was pretty good for a few weeks, and now it's full of assholes.
Cross posting a rant I just ranted:

You know what? gently caress EVERY SINGLE person in here who thought it was funny to say bad poo poo about collard greens. (tee hee, throw them away! They R garbage! gross who eats that amirite)

Right now there are mile long lines at food pantries, people literally starving in this country, and you have the balls to suggest throwing away something highly nutritious?

Before the apocalypse, bashing vegetables was not funny. Now it's just rubbing your privilege in the face of hungry people.
Grow up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Also not surprising: every person in that thread who bashed collards was white. Like, super white.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

learnincurve posted:

This conversation is so odd to me because in the U.K. collard greens are sold as “[whatever season it is] greens” and marketed to rich white people.

I get a weekly organic veg box for rich white people from my mum, and currently it’s full “summer greens” and “foraged” green stuff I couldn’t possibly name. Fed my kids something that looked like seaweed last week, and they said it was really nice other than the brown stalks. I suspect it may have actually been seaweed.

In the US, Collard Greens and Kale are strongly associated with black people and southern/soul/cajun/creole cooking. Once at the corner store I got into a conversation with a neighbor (old white lady) about growing swiss chard, and when I mentioned that I also grew kale, she practically spit on the ground in front of me. "I don't like kale.", coupled with a murderous stare.

And I live Massachusetts.

It's gotten a little better, as good BBQ percolates about the nation, it has brought collards and kale and pot likker with it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stringent posted:

Why were you in a group with super white people?

It's a pretty diverse group, which made the I'm-so-funny-because-I-Hate-Vegtables people stand out.

If you really want some fun, try telling one of these folks that you are vegan. They think that translates as "Hey, I'm an enormous jack rear end, and I'm begging for you to mock my food choices to my face."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

In my experience Collard Greens associates with poor black communities and kale associates with hipsters, foodies etc. Like, growing up in Louisiana I don't think I even knew that kale existed until my mid-20s but collard greens and cornbread was a known staple and would be in any soul food place / served in our school cafeteria etc.

Yeah, I know I was lumping together a vast geographical and cultural spread, but I was trying to sum it up for a Brit.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I keep trying kimchi like at least every 2 weeks and I don't like it yet. Kills me hearing about everyone else loving it.

Some people just don't dig on cabbage. me, I love it, I'll eat any preparation of cabbage from any place in the world.

Also, Kimchi can also be a little overwhelming for some people because all of the flavors are turned up to 11 at once

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As much as I enjoy kale, I have to admit that Andy Dick had a funny line about it:

"Kale is like spinach... expect hairier and more bitter."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

15 minutes of soaking in cold water did the trick lol

Only because the nerves went numb. I can still recommend the yogurt.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

This. I just want everyone to slather their privates in yoghurt. Is that really too much to ask

In my world, no. Not in the least. Could even be a theme party. (fancy dress, to you Brits)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't drink milk, but I keep some on hand for cooking and baking, so it's always full fat. Maybe a small glass of chocolate milk on rare occasion.
2% is fine but the blue water that calls itself skim makes me want to puke. I don't know how anyone gets it down.

I love cottage cheese, though! Makes a great high-protein snack, and I like to make the Ethiopian collards with it. I do NOT like it sweetened with fruit or sugar though, I always eat it plain or savory/spicy.

The problem with cottage cheese is that you can't just make it with low-fat milk; once they hit 2%, they have to start adding a ton of gums and stabilizers and all kinds of crap.

EDIT: oh, and the full-fat version makes for a surprisingly good ricotta substitute in lasagne.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I buy my milk at Walgreens and it has a red plastic top. I assume it comes from cows.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey Dino, I went to that yummy Trinidadian place we went to when you visited.

Those vegan potatoes are a marvel, so buttery! Is that just the coconut oil? How you make them taters?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Truly, doing God's Work.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ It's some good poo poo! They do such good things with veggies, too, collards and pumpkin... mmmmmmm.

dino. posted:

It's specific to Trinidadian cooking. What I've learned over the years is that Indians cook their food /way/ too hot for Trinidadian food to come out right. Trini food is cooked at a significantly lower temperature, and nobody really cares if it takes a long time, because you want to develop the flavour and have everything taste right. So your friends are coming over at 6 PM for dinner? First off, nobody shows up until almost 7:30. Secondly, you probably started cooking at like 4. Not because you're making huge quantities (because you are, but that's beside the point), but because you need to let everything simmer slowly until it's done just so. And then you need time to clean the kitchen, shower, and get changed before everyone come over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNFbkLtg7U

The way I figured it out was to watch my mom's Trinidadian friends when they made their food. You'd start at medium, and then finish frying the spices and junk. Then you drop down the heat to low, and let it park, for a whiiiiile. That recipe I linked above tends to be the roti shop version of potatoes like you'd get outside of Trinidad. It's difficult to source fresh ingredients, so they do their best. If however you want to go SUPER old school, like back on the island, check this lady out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypFTvADdg4

Dhania/Chadon beni = culantro

Pimento = a mild chilie pepper that grows on the island. Way sweeter than the grossness that is green bell pepper. Find the sweetest chilies with mild heat (not zero heat like bell pepper) if you want to substitute.

Hot pepper = scotch bonnet peppers

Geera = cumin. The whole seeds she uses is regular cumin seeds. The ground one she uses is roasted cumin, ground down to powder. Do not substitute cumin powder, as it won't taste right.

Channa = chickpeas. Do not substitute canned for this particular recipe. You'll need to use the smallets chickpeas you can find in the stores. The Indian kabuli chana is smaller than what you'd normally get on the Island, but it's as close as you're going to get.

Wow, great answer, thank you!
I never would have guessed that's how its made! It's almost like indian cooking, and then turns into a stew.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh man, thank you for these YouTube channels! These are fantastic.

Yeah, she's awesome, I'm going to make more of her food.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

drat it, just hosed up a batch of injera I had been fermenting for three days.
Got the sour taste PERFECT, but it wasn't quite bubbly enough, and my batter was a little too thick, and most of my injera ended up a little wet in the middle. grumble grumble grumble

There is no replacing that slow fermented taste, though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I get to host Italian Christmas this year, and I'm wondering what to do for the meat. I did fresh ham last time (it's a 4 year cycle)

For some reason, veal popped into my head, but I don't know what the would look like. A big platter of veal scaloppine with mushrooms, served family style?

Maybe veal chops? or lamb chops?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

Osso buco! With saffron risotto. Very wintery.

gently caress yes. That's perfect, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The wooden ones are stupid thick, depending on what kind of crust you are making, they are not useful for getting the pizza up off the stone.

At my buddy's pizza shop, just metal peels, and we would file the edge down when first purchased.