Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

God drat it how did we not eat the whole watermelon immediately after watching the watermelon man show us how to eat the watermelon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUKZpgVfMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

have u ever had ur pussy eaten by a man who eats watermelon for a living

I guess this is :nws: if you're not allowed to watch videos of a lady giving blowjobs to dildos with the use of a grapefruit at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7PKKstAcg

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, I grew up cooking and baking with cups and spoons, so they make sense to me.

But when I got my engineering degree, we had to learn to do all the calculations in both English and Metric, which was a huge pain in the rear end. Thermodynamics in particular is much easier in Metric. Also, Metric fastener sizes and thread-pitches make a hell of a lot more sense then the conventional sizes in Old English.

My mom became an engineer when Canada transitioned from Imperial to Metric, and literally every single question she had on every exam throughout her degree gave the question in one and asked for the answer in the other.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Hey, GBS frequently dwells into sophisticated comedy, such as New York sandwich tax legislation.

Can we please talk about whether tomatoes are fruits or vegetables?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden posted:

Nix v. Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893),[1] was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that, under U.S. customs regulations, the tomato should be classified as a vegetable rather than a fruit. The Court's unanimous opinion held that the Tariff Act of 1883 used the ordinary meaning of the words "fruit" and "vegetable", instead of the technical botanical meaning.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

les fleurs du mall posted:

sincere q i love cooking veg-friendly curries

Go find a Sri Lankan restaurant and get the vegetarian thali. You get like 6-10 curries, chutneys, flatbreads, and rice. The sweet string bean dish is amazing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I even won a NICSA, (which actually did make the front page)!

HOW'S YOUR KNIFE! That was super ridiculous.

Edit: Seriously look at this thing. http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hellkitchen-devils-eggs/1/

Fine dining food made in a flophouse basically.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ahahaha I forgot that I made a chicken cheese dessert for the chicken cheese thing with Doh.

Panna Cotta with honey, mescarpone cheese, coffee, chocolate, vanilla and chicken skin

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

chickencheese duel was a fun thread tho

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515276

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Is steaming chicken wings something that people do? I thought they were deep-fried?

The skin turns out better if you braise or steam them first but it's not really worth it for chicken (it is for duck)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Geez.

I found my spreadsheet tracking the NICSA: Breakfast that I hosted/organized. It had 53 entries. We get what, 2-4 tops now when we do a regular one?

I'm all for one of these again or just limiting the number of dishes for a regular ICSA. It's intimidating as gently caress to make a 3 course meal when you're not used to making even a single one but are interested in learning.

Lookit all the entries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dfRMUvVZ1HWp-1Eu3CglB4anczmgu3Da6VxCwnkCcTU/edit?usp=sharing

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That Works posted:

Maybe make an NICSA with something silly and link it back to GBS? You'll get a couple serious attempts, a lot of really lovely posts and probably several legitimately hilarious attempts.

this one was linked to GBS and we got loads of amazing entries, those URLs all still work and at least some of them have working images.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get thicker skin, ignore my anger over stupid kitchen gadgets, and post food.

Or you could just stop being such an autist about being a cheffy chef chef and realize that other people have different experiences with food than you do and accommodate that. Your explanation that you need to be curt and angry to get anything across in a kitchen is such bullshit, the best and most competent chef I ever worked for was the most soft spoken and polite person ever, even when everything went to hell (which I only saw once, because he was extremely good at what he does).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

The one my ex entered? drat that was some tasty food.

Who was she? Her entry should be in the spreadsheet I just linked.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Awesome! I'm sad that some are missing pictures, but most are there.

Charmmi's was the silliest one, she made cornflakes from scratch:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3331514

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sadly, none of The Beet's came through, and she took great pictures.

EDIT: None of Vagrant's either. :(

Vagrant's are here, at least!

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hellkitchen-devils-eggs/1/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I hosted an ICSA, I tried to promote it to GBS, and brought in only trolls and misery. Of course, this was around when GBS had it's big shake up, so who knows.

Bert: Can we get someone to mercilessly crush trolls if we do this again?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bartolimu posted:

I have no moderation powers in GBS, nor any control over GBS policy. Given the currently pugilistic relationship between GWS and one particular GBS mod, I don't know if asking for special protection would go over particularly well. I'll talk to the GBS mod collective if you like though.
I just meant yelling at/banning/whatever people that hosed around in the NICSA threads in GWS.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Is the duck still alive when you submerge it in oil? (Like an ortolan). It would be a lot easier to do that with oil than with lard or duck fat. The latter two could make quite a mess.

Don't be stupid, you have to gouge out its eyes and drown it in Armagnac first.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Latent?

Anyway, some anti-Semitism would work just fine for a GBS posting spirit.

Nachos, however, are more GWS!

I thought the proto-GBS goon snack was Cheetos.

What about steakchos?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I'm starting to enjoy living in a culinary wasteland where nobody eats anything that isn't beef or chicken breast because

:frogsiren: ducks were cheaper than chickens at the grocery store :frogsiren:

My sous vide controller is showing up any day now and I have two young ducks in the freezer. I'm thinking about cutting the ducks up, saving the breasts for myself, and doing the wings, thighs, and legs confit to take to my friend's house for (real) Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.

Is this a good plan for cutting my teeth on sous vide?

Are you going to actually confit them sous-vide, or just cook them? If you want to get the traditional confit texture you'll need to do them at really high temps, and you're more likely to split your bag.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Ok, I've read a few recipes/methods for doing confit sous-vide, and I didn't find any surprises. So, are you saying that I won't be able to use a ziplock to reliably do the legs at 75-82c?

It might work! I've had the heavy duty ziplock bags split on me at higher temps. I'd double bag it if you were going to try it, either with ziplock bags or foodsaver bags.

mindphlux posted:

I disagree about texture, I do duck confit sous vide all the time and have excellent results. salt box and season legs for 4-6 hours, and confit at like 80c for ~2 hours.

I'm still honing in times and temperatures, but that's my basic method.

edit this isn't with a bag though, I foodsaver vac seal

80c is the normal ballpark temp for traditional confit, though. You could also render the fat at a way lower temp, but it wouldn't turn out the same.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Great! I'm going to try it tomorrow or Friday. I'll report back, maybe with pictures. My plan is to do a double bagging of some sort because I'm paranoid, with the seals somehow kept above the water line.

Get some bulldog clips and clip the bag against the side of the pot, or put the seal over the edge and put a plate on it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Marta Velasquez posted:

I once had a bacon Bloody Mary with a strip of bacon sticking out of it. It was the grossest drink I've ever tasted, not including random concoctions we threw together in college.

lol if u drink bloody marys instead of caesars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I hung out with a few other food goons a few months ago, and one of them brought a rollie as a joke.

It, no word of a lie, actually makes super good eggs. We were completely flabbergasted.