Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

therattle posted:

Yep, that flavour combo in the rice pudding is based on a Spanish version, which I am sure is Moorish is origin.

And the Sephardim migrated to Istanbul when the Spanish Inquisition forced them out of formerly Moorish lands! I can (do) spend all day reading about human migration through the lens of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

ulmont posted:

Last few pages of the Food Television Masturbation Station https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790280

Some of that is really genuine and interesting and some of it is total clickbait trash. Art imitates life, life imitates tv.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

for those of you who are interested in food media and have become more radicalized due to recent acab events, here's an interesting perspective that's fed up with liberal touchy feely food shows and writing: https://aliciakennedy.substack.com/p/on-americanization

AK’s voice is important and very good and I can’t help but suggest her newsletter to anyone who interfaces with food media, post-colonial thought, or radical praxis!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Good morning would someone kindly hit me with the discord link I don’t want to lose this collection of well Eatin weirdos

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Please either have SA ownership pass or another forum replace it because discord sucks. I find the interface maddening.

After half a day of the NYC/GWS discords I’m inclined to agree.

B&R May be light on the food chat but, uh, we can fix that as one mass exodus.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tell me more about this b&r thing - is that the dsa site?

From an absolutely cursory view they are separate but both explicitly committed to progressive politics, which can be a little taxing but I feel sits with the zeitgeist here as GWS has in my 12 years been a very welcoming and deliberately inclusive place both politically and for those just learning to cook.

As long as we leave beans out of it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

If you have not seen the announcement it looks like Jeffrey of YOSPOS is acquiring SA. Phew!

How embarrassing, that of all the unlikely saviors, it’s YOSPOS.

Olympia, I for whatever reason have never liked their wares, though I’m always trying new things. I guess I have to start making my own fermented meat products to be truly happy.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SubG posted:

Nnnnnnnope. KInda the opposite. I didn't say it as a sort of bargaining with fate kind of thing, which I don't do. But more of a holy poo poo we're in the middle of a forum-wide discussion about domestic abuse and here I am making I hosed your Mom jokes. I don't want to be that guy.

Hey SubG I think that’s a very reasonable and welcome take on it; at some point we have to retire even the most storied of jokes when it’s obvious they punch down- see “dead g*ay forum” and the end of FYAD.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

I don’t agree. Pr0k’s mom jokes aren’t punching down. I believe that he even told her about them and she was amused. And by this stage the joke is so far removed from a reference to a real person that it’s more of an abstract reference than anything else.

Sure, context is everything, but what about the people who haven’t been posting here for a decade or more who are seeing grossly misogynistic humor propagated and tolerated by the old guard?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Hmm. You may have a point.

Also it’s flat out funnier as an allusion or Easter egg (something something cloaca joke).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Mindphlux is welcome to post here, so long as he can fake sobriety and not be an enormous rear end in a top hat to people. It's a low bar to clear.

Eh in my experience you get one or the other.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Maestro posted:

This seems like a good time to share some of my notes for making boozy otter pops or what have you.

5-10% ABV is the range for the ideal slushy texture.

The brix is also a good measure for whether the drink will freeze, between 13-15 is the sweet spot.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Ta. I’ll give that a try.

I often think of you when I cook Indian food, at which I have become competent at a basic level thanks to you. Every now and again it’s meh, mostly it’s pretty good, and occasionally I knock it out the park.

Thanks for reminding me to pull up Dino’s book on cooking vegan, which I bought to impress a girl I was dating and now I inadvertently eat vegan as often as I don’t and I am linking here-

https://smile.amazon.com/Alternativ...ps%2C136&sr=8-1

I’m not wild about the cover art...it would be a shame if we all bought paperback copies and forced it into another printing...wouldn’t it...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

dino. posted:

It's already in second printing. Amazon doesn't have any more copies.

https://www.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=139

The publisher does! You get an un-DRM'd version when you get the physical one. Also if you're not in the USA and don't want to wait for it to arrive, Book Depository sells it with free worldwide shipping.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Alternative-Vegan-Dino-Sarma/9781604865080?ref=grid-view&qid=1593967483064&sr=1-1

Ah, excellent. That’s the version I have an ebook of, and need to revisit in my new house.

I forget that amazon is often a fulfillment service, like the time I tried to ship a copy of an everlasting meal to a friend in the UK and it ended up shipped from Texas. Fun times. I wonder if he ever got it...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hi thread! I want to crowd source a question because I don’t think it needs its own thread. This weekend my best friend and I are going to sail out on the Long Island Sound to a little harbor about a half day away and overnight on the boat. Since I volunteered as Steward (in addition to ships chaplain, but hey), I’m looking at good low-effort eats. I think the first move is to update the shooter sandwich since I’m on a bread baking kick these days, possibly as a giant ham sandwich.

Any other fun travel foods? We have access to a grill and an electric oven, but I want to make as much ahead as we can so I can spend more time in the head. What I’m saying is, fiber.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Make a batch of pasta salad with veggies and chicken/tuna, that's always a winner.

I've been having a lot of luck with Squash Tika. Slice and fry squash rounds in butter/ghee, then sprinkle with Tika masala powder. A delicious veg side dish.

Solid. I’ve got some leftover pasta dough from the weekend, and squash is everywhere. Sadly I have to get to a farmers market and the only one near me is on Sunday. Guess I have to brave the subway...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Will you have a refrigerator or just a cooler?

Cooler, I believe. I don’t intend to bring much perishable, which is why I’m looking at cooked. Weather permitting it’ll be two nights, and I love a good pre-cook. Might have to make extra for my lady since she isn’t coming along.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Brazilian-Japanese is probably the result of the large Japanese population in Brazil.

A Japanese colleague of mine learned me on this one- in the early 20th century Japan was concened about over population and chartered ships to take volunteer families down the pacific coast of the Americas. Anywhere the family liked, they could disembark and settle, accounting for the significant Japanese populations of Peru, Argentina, Brazil, etc. This probably oversimplifies the migration of families after the laborers aboard the Sakura Maru in 1899, but it makes for a cool story.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Anyone talking trash on gin can go to hell.

Where I will be taking tickets on the express train.

And drinking gin.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

How has no one said borscht?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Huh, hadn't considered that. Got a recipe recommendation?

Borscht, but not hot.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Anybody have a good recipe for gluten free pasta dough, and/or brand recommendations? I was looking for the Brooks Headley stuff but no dice as yet. GF pasta salad for a friends birthday, since I know egg and Xanthem gum can bind the flour in a fashion functionally similar to gluten.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

May I ask why you don’t just buy GF pasta? There’s some good stuff out there.

Because I am a stubborn son of a bitch who will do this to say that I can. The only thing I’m having trouble with is locating a consensus on recipe and a reliable GF flour.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hard boiled eggs just, weird me out. Which by extension precludes egg salad.

I apparently loved them as a kid and now I want that poo poo away from me, even in ramen, which is sad.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mediaphage posted:

not much use for male chicks on a farm all the time either though chances are good they aren't going to be boiled or ground to death

Yeah coq Au vin is a much better value capture than chicken nuggets.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Just take calcium supplements it's way easier and you can do it when you aren't at home that day to cook etc.

This person has been given doctors orders to eat as much cheese as needed and I for one will not your facts and logic gently caress this up for them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chaat!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

prayer group posted:

Don't need salt on the table if you seasoned everything well in the first place.

I see you have never met anyone like my fiancée who occasionally just wants things to taste like salt.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

So the Missus has been doing some shallow frying in one of our all clad pans, and a bunch of the fat ha got dark and tacky (polymerized?) and when this used to build up on pans at work, the Sous would run them through some sort of electrolytic bath. Has anyone hooked one up at home?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Those were helpful, thank you!

Now, anyone ever grill on a Konro grill over binchoan? I might get clearance to buy one for work and I’d love any tips.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I hope you’re not buying it on account of it being sold as “smokeless“ unless you only plan on grilling vegetables and fat free meat

I have no illusions re: smoke because I have a basic understanding of the interaction of physics and biochem, but I work for a Japanese company which makes it an easier sell.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

If you think getting it in is hard...

I’ll pass, after the salsa mess.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

We did a volunteer day in Harlem, and it was catered by Sylvia’s. Except no one remembered the got dang hot sauce. I strode over to the nearest bodega like an avenging angel, scooped up some Valentina and something vinegar based, and returned to actual applause.

gently caress outta here, sugar fiends.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

She changed the way Americans eat and understand Chinese culture, and also lived to 100. I would t call that sad, personally, but mourn and celebrate your own way (mine will be dumplings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Liquid smoke gets a lot of poo poo but it's pretty great and is all natural. It's pretty simple and fascinating how they make it.

...how is it made, cowboy?

In content news: get the Flavor Equation if you have any science leanings at all. It’s both beautiful and well written and oh man I’ve got a lot of books this year but this one is :krad: