Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've never been presented with a satisfactory mechanism that would explain how the interaction between impurities in different alcoholic beverages can intensify your bad experience at the end. It's like Dane said – to mix 3 or 4 different alcohols, you have to have at least 3 or 4 drinks. It's only possible to truly drink moderately if you only have one or, at most two different sorts of beverages. Spread all these experiences over a population of people and you're more likely to get worse hangovers when you're mixing alcohols and less likely when you're not.

But since nothing compares with the power of stupid idiosyncratic anecdote when it comes to discussing booze culture, I'll add that all my wickedest hangovers come when I've made a massive bowl of punch and a few too few people show up to join me, because I almost immediately lose track of how much I've had to drink and I feel compelled to try and finish the bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

dino. posted:

What I'm getting at is that I still feel hella weird going through other peoples' fridge. I'll do it for sure, but it'll take me a while to feel free to open someone else's fridge. My mum was horrified when she had one of my sister's friends come over for a sleep over. She wandered into the kitchen, pulled out the milk, poured herself a glass, and then put the glass in the sink. Thank gods the phone rang, or that could've ended badly.

White people.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Listening to podcasts while cleaning/cooking really upped my kitchen game as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hardcore History is a good one for that. I also really like 99% Invisible, This Is Criminal, and of course This American Life. Oh, and the Savage Lovecast. Hearing about people's hilarious relationship problems somehow just makes the dishes fly by.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ancient world warfare and statecraft is cool as gently caress, but I think he'll need to get another couple episodes into Kings of Kings before the narrative straightens out. I think Wrath of the Khans is the best bit he's done so far.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's a point of policy that Wikipedia is Not Work Safe. I learned that in relation to the page :nws:Human anus:nws:, the talk page for which is my favorite page on the internet, especially the phrase "I'm not convinced that more pictures of anuses are needed."

I've been following the human anus page for years. There's an eternal battle over the image/s. It's the most Wikipedia thing in the world.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

SubG posted:

The oldest recipe (from the early 19th Century) calls for lardo, and after the Second World War it was apparently common to use bacon (because of the American servicemen stationed there). The insistence on pancetta or guanciale---lest the histrionics of the `purity' gods be invoked---appears to be an almost entirely modern creation.

I always know when SubG is posting because his open single quote is a tilde.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

esperantinc posted:

That's a grave accent. The tilde is this squiggly one ~ :eng101:

Oh yeah that's right I messed up cause they're located on the same key.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Nothing like taking a leisurely afternoon to soak some field peas for hoppin' john later in the day.

I hopped a John with my friend on NYE it was great would hop again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jellyfish is fine, it's super Chinese though. Little to no flavor, odd and delicate texture, sounds weird when you hear about it, goes in soup or with a sauce. That's the same for shark fin, bird's nest, sea cucumber, all those prestige ingredients. From a western culinary perspective there are lots of things that are just straight up superior to jellyfish, like beef tendon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Having a proper flat top in my home is a great dream of mine. Nothing makes pancakes (and all breakfast, really) easier than a broad, flat cooking surface several feet wide. God I would cook so much poo poo on a flat top.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I made and then ate so much ceviche for the Superbowl.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rum is cooler than whiskey anyway.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tots posted:

I made beef tenderloin sous vide and reverse sear for v-day. Gf said medium was okay. When it was plated she said it was too bloody and picked it up and rang it out like a dish towel. Currently sitting in the bath tub by myself.

She did loving not that's too insane.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Oh my God, I just realised that whirled peas was a pun. I am loving dense.

Hahahah no way. That was over 4 years ago.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

SubG posted:

Yeah, the thread title Purity: Spaghetti alla Carbonara done properly is the specific example I had in mind.

It's a particularly interesting case of a `purity' argument because the `pure' form of the dish being advocated isn't the one with the greatest historical weight behind it or anything like that---the earliest recorded version of carbonara included lardo, which makes a very different dish than the pancetta called for in the `purity' thread. The recipe being advocated is essentially the one given in Il Cucchiaio D'argento, a popular Italian home cookbook first published in 1950. It records a variant of the dish which became popular during the Allied occupation during the Second World War, apparently due to the easy availability of bacon from US servicemen.

Of course according to the thread if you use bacon you're `hellbent on using the wrong meat' and in fact guanciale is `preferred' and pancetta is merely a `generally acceptable compromise', an evaluation which would be entirely baffling to the cooks whose work the thread's recipe is ostensibly a `pure' recreation of.

In defense of Jizzer, the OP in the thread is pretty level-headed and reasonable. The bad carbonara he's decrying is the Olive Garden cream and peas spaghetti soup, and he's not dogmatic about the meat at all. His only big DO NOT is to avoid pre-grated parm, and that's pretty uncontroversial.

Things may have gotten a bit wanky by the time the thread closed, but it was a totally respectable way to start a thread, and a pretty decent stance to take on a dish.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wiggles, hope your poo poo is okay. Sorry to hear about your gland.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

therattle posted:

He is the One True Christ, who suffered so that we would not have to.

Praise him.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Does anybody know what would happen if I threw chunks of peeled horseradish in with the potatoes and mushrooms in a pot roast? I can't fine any information online about what happens when you roast horseradish. I know it would lose most of the bite. Would it turn out nice, like sunchoke or salsify? Or would it get bitter and ruin the roast?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Turns out horseradish is sorta stringy and definitely develops a pretty intense bitterness once it's been roasted. However, it flavored the braising liquid very nicely, so in that respect it's sort of like cooking with big chunks of ginger. I'd call this a modest success.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I spent a good couple of years trying to enjoy cooking on a cast iron pan, in part because of all the GWS hype. I eventually realized that I just don't really like high thermal mass-style cooking. I really prefer moving the pan and changing up temperatures and stuff and the cast iron was just bulky and un-fun. Once I realized that I stuck the pan out in the garage and basically don't think about it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

All of this supermarket chat is moot because there's only one true supermarket and it's the Berkeley Bowl. I moved from the East Bay to the Peninsula a little over a year ago and it hurts to not be able to shop there regularly anymore. You can't imagine the gooseberries and the fingerling potatoes, the seasonal fresh mushrooms and the banks of bulk dried fruits. And all of the produce and bulk item prices are really good because they make money by selling piles of hippie facewash and organic paper towels to dumb older white people.