Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay so serious question and not because I'm being all back to the land luddite or anything - what do you use a vitamix for? Like, in what ways am I possibly missing out in life by not having this device?

My mother has one, and it loving obliterates whatever you put into it. A lot of stuff made in cheap blenders still have little chunks and bits in them, or take forever to process a large batch, but the smoothies she makes are done quickly and practically emulsions. Is it worth several hundred bucks? For my money, not really, unless you've got money to burn, drink a fuckton of smoothies, or really, really want a consistent product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made butternut squash soup yesterday and I felt like it was missing something. Acid maybe.

I roasted the squash, added it to onion, carrot, thyme and chicken stock, vitamixed it, and finished it with a little cream and nutmeg. It just seemed to be lacking something. Suggestions?

Try a bit of lemon juice and a tiny bit of zest?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Steve Yun posted:

Whoa whoa whoa more like 90%. It's still a convenient place to get some liquid lecithin and a few other ingredients for cooking.

Huh, I never thought of that. My only experience with GNC was going in to try to find a retail job (and then getting shown the door because they were only taking online applications) and noticing how ludicrously expensive everything was.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Squashy Nipples posted:

Besides, according to Erikson, the unconscious mind doesn't process negatives (this is a trick used in hypnosis).
http://www.ericksonian.com/negative-commandssuggestions

I've got a degree in psychology and this is that magical kind of snake oil where it's almost technically right for certain situations, but it's making poo poo up because it has something to sell, and it sure ain't a peer-reviewed paper about the subject.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh please. I don't buy all of that hook-line-and-sinker, nor do I think of it as hard science.

But the negative thing is pretty obvious: ever tell a child not to do something? Whether they do it or not, all they can think about is doing it.

That much I'll agree with ("Don't think of pink elephants," "Don't push the button," "Don't picture your parents loving"), but I took umbrage at using that specific resource to back that up. We cool.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

mindphlux posted:

so the guy who invented the cronut released a version of his recipe

tl;dr

Like, for real. I am not interested in baking for three days to get twelve pastries.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I can't tell if the holiday thread is trolling me about stuffing or not. The three responses were boxed, croutons in a bag, and jiffy cornbread.

My mother uses packaged stuffing croutons because it's what she grew up with, so it's what I grew up with, and I'll admit that there's some guilty nostalgia in eating (a lot of) it.

Relatedly, I did a spatchcocked chicken for my parents a few weeks ago and they went nuts for it, but my mother about bit my head off when I suggested spatchcocking the turkey this year because that'd mean we couldn't do the stuffing "right." I guess it'll be another year of cotton-flavored white meat. I might make spatchcocked turkey over a stuffing casserole between Thanksgiving and Christmas to see if I can't convince her though.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Crusty Nutsack posted:

You can roast the stuffing in the same pan under the spatchcocked bird, if that makes her any more accepting. Look up Kenji's recipe on SeriousEats for roast turkey breast on stuffing. Pretty much the same idea, I don't see why doing it with a whole spatchcocked bird would be much different.

That's exactly where I got the idea from, and what I'm thinking of trying.

Also, for all y'all who don't spatchcock chicken when roasting it, do it. It's only a little more effort to prep and it makes cooking the white meat and the dark meat to the same temperature way, way less frustrating.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm very happy that Alton Brown got me introduced to cooking as something to experiment with, a science and art at once, with mind-boggling possibilities beyond the basics - and that the basics were a lot more nuanced and beautiful than I'd given credit for.

However, now that I'm branching out a lot more, I'd say his most valuable contribution was simply to introduce me to Harold McGee. On Food and Cooking was as much of a stepping stone, if not a bigger one, in improving my cooking.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I got the Pitt Cue Co. cookbook as part of my birthday/christmas and while the recipes look really good, I'm a little weirded out by them calling some of the food 'slutty.'

Like, I get the adjective 'sexy' in cooking even if I think it's a ridiculous term, but a slutty dessert goes into :stare: territory for me.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

CommonShore posted:

I would consider gassing the thread and its hundreds of shitposts, but would the mods delete twenty good posts for a lack of five?

:thurman:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I decided to have fun with a food project with my new smoker and make ultra fancy pastrami with a whole brisket. Trimmed it, sliced it up so I can fit it into svizzlin' bags later, and put it in a pair of pots to cure.

I ended up trimming off like three or four pounds of fat off the loving thing :psyduck: I vac-packed it and froze it, but I'm at a loss as to what do do with it all. Any suggestions?

Also, would it kill me/the meat to smoke it for ~6 hours at 149 then sous-vide it at the same temperature for 48? I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, trying to go off the times and temperatures of several different recipes. If anybody's got experience with this sort of thing, or a better suggestion of what to do, please let me know.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I tried to keep a quarter inch or so over most of it but since I'm not that great with a knife there's some gouged bits. Looking at the Ruhlman blog, I might stick to a simpler process to make sure I don't gently caress things up, then get fancy later on.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker because I don't want to gently caress with charcoal, I didn't have the budget to ask for the green egg, I don't really need to cook with four digit temperatures, and I like precise temperature control :v:

I smoked a duck with it as my first go-round and it turned out pretty great. Using the smoked fat I rendered out has been like cooking with cheat codes.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

GrAviTy84 posted:

proper lambics shouldn't be sweet at all.

If all you've ever had was lindeman's, you haven't had lambic.

What if I've had Lindemans and two or three other lambics and I only liked Lindeman's out of them :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Marta Velasquez posted:

Even in woodworking, mistakes and misalignments are now "giving it a rustic feel."

Part of my dad's job involves beating the poo poo out of wooden furniture with nail-boards and fistfuls of rocks before putting a bit of stain and sealant on it to make it look "rustic" or "antique."

You'd be amazed at what rich people will knowingly pay you to do to their stuff and their walls, but that's partially because the materials for faux finishing are :chanpop: expensive as a consequence.