Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i just impulse-bought a pre-cooked 24lb ham because it was $0.99/lb

what the hell do i do with it

edit: i started by putting it in the fridge but then i ran out of ideas. give me ham ideas

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ok. should i make a new thread for my ham adventure or are the GWS mods still uptight about their fiefdom

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

nice

post more hamplans til i get it up

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think the "bacon on donuts" thing is one of the worst things to come out of current food trends... I'm not above mixed sweet and savory, but ugh, bacon on a donut, no thanks.

you seem pretty upset about a thing being on top of another thing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

iirc, obesity and type two diabetes aren't directly linked; they share a common cause. namely, spiking your blood sugar all drat day every day for 20 years.

i am not a doctor or a dietician or any other kind of scientist/clinician, though

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

While I'm on this, sugar isn't addictive, either.

your whole post was pretty well scientifically grounded except for this wild overreach

compulsive eating is a thing, dummy. it's an observable phenomenon. as is the frequency with which compulsive eaters seek sweet foods. the fact that we only poorly understand the myriad of causes underlying both compulsive behaviors in general and compulsive eating in particular doesn't mean you get to say "sugar isn't addictive"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, I go into the discussion over this in detail in the pseudoscience thread. There are several definitions of addiction, but the ones that have meaning beyond "ever trigger a pleasure sensor" don't apply to sugar. Hell, the most effective definitions exclude substances like sugar by definition, and the people advocating for eating disorders to be considered a form of addiction still wouldn't say that sugar is addictive-they'd say it acts as a behavioral cue for some people with the condition. The people who do want eating disorders (or other behavioral patterns, like gambling) to be considered addiction are largely people working in treatment. They generally acknowledge that they're stretching or changing the prior formal definition, but feel they are justified in doing so because it would give people suffering from those problems access to more resources for treatment, which they urgently need.

yeah, i realized right after i posted you were just being spergily proscriptive about the outdated definition of addiction

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that person's lowercase "n"s all look like Us and the dot for the I is just too far to the right

e: yeah, look at "whipping" near the top of the page. the dot's over the n in that word too, and the Ps look similar.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 17, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

mindphlux posted:

this video makes me want to find a mic and drop it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qJ3MAPxS8

i watched this, then followed one of the links to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWauZQcv2U

and now i'm sort of dizzy-hungry

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i lolled at the host's impression of julia child

"julia. you know, julia? butTAH? lital CREME? butTAH?"

e:

theres a will theres moe posted:

Are those guys making butter or just sort of loving around with butter? 'We added salt and warmed it up by squeezing it with a machine and now it's soft and salty. Also we are french, so this isn't stupid pretentious bullshit, it's cooking magic."

I got frustrated with mind of a chef pretty quickly in s01 but it wasn't because of streaming problems.

butter is an emulsion of fat & water. emulsions' textures can change based on their structure, & kneading it + adding salt to it would change its structure

its really not worth getting that mad about lol

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 28, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Irradiated Haggis posted:

Can someone tell me about CSA's, farm-shares, and other ways of getting decent ingredients if you live in a food desert? There probably is already a thread for this and I'm too stupid to have seen it in the first 3 pages. If there SOMEHOW isn't, would anyone find that useful?

I think a thread about cooking via csa/farmshare/amazon/costco.com for folks in food deserts or deep rural areas would be cool.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

Ingredients that went into the De Ruijter Dutch fruit sprinkles ("The fruitiest!") in my kitchen: Sugar, wheat starch, apple juice 5%, dextrose (glucose syrup?), natural flavouring, colouring agents (E110, E104, E122).

no corn syrup or soy lectithicithin? hardly candy, even

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

dont forget the partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. you can't have candy speinkles without trans fats

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

nobody calls anything "carbonara" that isn't some variation of "pasta with cured pork" which imo makes it something i wanna eat regardless of ~~~a*u*t*h*e*n*t*i*c*i*t*y~~~

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

GOOOOOONS! I have a request. I wanna make the best lasagna. Not good lasagna, the loving best. At the moment my bolognese is made like this: https://sortedfood.com/recipe/1067 minus the mushrooms (cause loving weirdos around me apparently hate mushrooms, whatever).

My white sauce is classic 1:1 butter:flour, with full cream milk (the creamiest I can get before it's just cream) and a shitload of cheese. Cheese tends to be cheddar, aged, but I'm looking to expand to ricotta, mozzarella and all that. What can I do to up the oomph and really make the best lasagna ever? I don't have an Italian grandma to learn from sadly.

same. i have hosed around and been like "meat sauce white sauce bloop bloop bloop" and it was good eats but it would be cool to get a rundown from someone who does it for a living and/or is italian (native or diaspora, idc)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Lol now i want a link to the burger drama

e: nm i found it lol

is the whole thread seriously just people posting pics of burgers they didnt cook

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 12, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yall should be making these posts in the burger thread if the idea is to be the change

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

e: nm

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Aside from an egg sandwich, a burger is pretty much the only other acceptable use for sliced American cheese. It's just...right.

grilled cheese sandwich philly cheese steak sandwich jack in the box taco chili dog breakfast burrito you're wrong wrong wrong

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Literally any other cheese, though American will do in a pinch

Provolone or cheese whiz

Why would you eat that

Liquid cheese whiz, which is similar but NOT the same as slices of American cheese (pasteurized processed cheese "food")

Close enough to an egg sandwich (lol a burrito is a sandwich) to agree with my original statement.

nah any time you're melting cheese american is fuckin' delicious, also lol at being pretentious about loving cheez whiz

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

The correct burger is 70/30, cooked medium rare, with blue cheese (preferably Maytag or, if you can get it, Bayley Hazen; for bonus points hit it with a blowtorch to melt/char) and kimchi. Thin layer of fully-caramelized onions on the bottom bun is optional but highly recommended. And that is exactly as loving American as any other burger, thank you very much.

And I really like ultra-peaty scotches but whatever, I'll drink Jameson if someone offers it.

look at everything about this post lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

twinkies are fine. it's hard to not like greasy-rear end too-moist-to-be-real cake on some level

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Lol no. twinkies are a lot of things but dry isn't one of them. they're like a half-breath away from feeling like they were just soaked in vegetable oil

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

That's because the whipped filling is an emulsified oil product.

yeah, it's basically a buttercream but made with shortening

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

therattle posted:

Mmm, that sure sounds appetising!

Someone asked earlier how cake and cream could be bad. How about if they are made with disgusting cheap ingredients and packed full of preservatives and emulsifiers?

yes because the machine you're raging against is a tight cabal of ruthless pro-twinkie propagandists

all i said was

OMGVBFLOL posted:

twinkies are fine. it's hard to not like greasy-rear end too-moist-to-be-real cake on some level

cool your outrage homie

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

therattle posted:

No, you cool your outrage over my outrage! Was I that outraged? Anyway, I was responding to this:

:colbert:

sorry, i just get so God Dam worked up aboyt Hostess brand snack products

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

theres probably a tie in with that crispy crackly version of gak they had for a minute

floam i think

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

just lol if anything you eat or drink doesn't have gold leaf in it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I see GWS doesn't have the YOSPOS no poors rule. It's not like I'm literally juicing a yuzu, it's just the bottled stuff I got from a Japanese supermarket. Sorry about your inferior guac

i was serious too. your guac is poo poo-tier garbage without a little 'leaf

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

It can't hurt to ask their pediatrician, too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

!Klams posted:

Sorry, couldn't find anywhere better to post this, but, does anyone know about Jones Soda? Specifically, where can I get old bottles?

I'm in the UK, where we don't get the stuff. I was at this American diner theme restaurant back in about 2010, they had a big smeg type glass fronted fridge full of Jones soda, it was awesome. Anyway, I got an orange and cream soda, and it was super lush. However, my girlfriend couldn't have any because she is caffeine intolerant (makes her heart go mental) so she missed out. I got another one, (red apple) and that one was caffeine free, so she tried it. (She hated it).

Anyway, skip forward a few years, the place has closed down, but I had a hankering for some Jones soda, so I ordered a bunch online. But it turns out non of them are caffeinated, and the orange and cream doesn't taste as good as a result. The thing is, I can't find any evidence online of them ever using caffeine? Does anyone know what's up? It's the sort of thing few people would notice, but we specifically looked for and found caffeine on the ingredients list and it was enough of an event to remember! Am I going mad?

Jones isn't that huge of a company; if you email them there's a real chance you'll get a human answer. If you write them an old-fashioned letter with some goofy kitch from the UK or whatever, you'll definitely get an answer and maybe a photo on a bottle if you submit one.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i just ate a hot dog

with ketchup :moonrio:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

pile of brown posted:

go vote for trump about it

after that i ate one with hoisin, sriracha, and kewpie mayo

what im saying is, i am irl famous trump guy and weaboo sean spicer

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yo i can't for the life of me find anything online about making smash burgers because popular fast food chain Smashburger dominates all search engine results

i got the cast iron pan and the 80/20 ground beef

cooking fat? probly not right?

room temp beff? cold beef? does this matter?

tia

also i'm gonna crosspost this to the GWS chat thread because this thread and that thread both like to talk about burgers but everyone in this thread has aids or something and so the chat thread won't talk about burgers here

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

imo the cast iron is a mistake for smash, use stainless; I'm not sure about carbon. don't raise the spatula asap or you may rip the burger.

yeah ok hold on i'm going to go buy an entire new pan for lunch this afternoon

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you wait until it releases to flip it, wouldn't it be already overcooked to poo poo? I thought that was the point of the scrapers & stuff you see people recommending; that not drying the gently caress out of it requires peeling it up with as much crust as possible well before it actually releases on its own

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

so... stainless requires overcooking it to poo poo? or is getting it to release before overcooking the point of getting it as blazingly hot as possible?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Croatoan posted:

All-clad you goof.

buying a $300 pan to make burgers when you aready own a cast iron skillet would be a dumb

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

DumbparameciuM posted:

Also do you toast those bad boys or are they good to go straight out of the gates?

that depends on if you prefer toasted buns or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

whats yall favorite non-junk-food on the go snacks? i'm on the road a lot for work and the roadside world is full of delicious delicious junk food that will kill me sooner than I'd like

the grocery store near my house has loaves of whole wheat bread; I'll pick up one of them and a 10-18oz thing of hummus and keep it in my car for about a week's worth of protection against just eating the flamin' hot munchies mix for every meal