Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Huh, toxicity didn't even occur to me. I cooked a large batch of kidney and black beans on the weekend for chili. Boiled for 10 mins then put in 250F oven for 2 hours. Chili cooked for 2 hours too. Haven't poo poo my spleen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Times like these I'm glad I have dual citizenship and can disown a country at my convenience.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

So much for the tolerant left

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Someone have a link to Potehto's peach habanero ice cream?

That was DnF, but infusing the custard with a split habanero is my favorite way to flavor a base.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The serious eats black-bean burger recipe is good. I periodically make a large batch with extra serranos and cotija and freeze in ziplock bag portions. Pan fry dusted with cornmeal.

The protein term does gross me out a little - it's the implied interchangeability, another step to obfuscate the source. I don't expect anyone else to see it that way though.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2018

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Waci posted:

My favourite vegetarian alternative to burgers (and by far the most common one here) is a slab of fried halloumi, which tastes nothing like meat and is delicious in its own right

I miss cheap haloumi so much :( Just can't do it at :10bux:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

SubG posted:

They'd have to be cheap enough that changing the entire way the industry is structured (and subsidized) would be a net economic win.

I completely agree, but I think it may actually happen (eventually).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

therattle posted:

The biggest catalyst to change would be taxing meat to take into account the carbon cost.

We'll see battery farmed cows before that happens :(

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

When it's good food it's pretty entertaining, when it's comedy trash I just can't be bothered.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Rum french toast is a good babbish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evzWEXpW1pM

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I like the serious eats brown butter recipe. Works well as muffins too. Sometimes I'll throw green onions and serranos in too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

therattle posted:

Hm, it calls for flour. I guess I’d sub in GF. I would also need to get sour cream and buttermilk.

Ah true, forgot about that. There's a comment on it:

quote:

I’ve made this with corn flour, which is really fine cornmeal, and it was great. Just comes out even softer and fluffier.

I think it'd be quite flexible. Likewise on the dairy I'd think yogurt would work too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I put kidney beans, black beans, garbonzo beans, and northern beans in my chili.

And corn.

Same. The serious eats vege chili recipe is great for a no effort, insanely delicious weeknight dinner.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Mark Wiens is doing a big tour of Pakistan at the moment which is p great so far.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Always had bottom or top freezers until I moved to America. Now I appreciate the extra freezer space in a side-by-side - keep it packed with stews, soups, curries, stock and so on. Single would be fine if I had a chest freezer elsewhere or something.

Worst thing about current fridge is that there's one vegetables drawer and one huge meat drawer that is just wasted space so I keep some beer in there.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well I just made the best pasta salad I've ever eaten. Mixed some garam masala and mango pickle into the mayo/yoghurt/mustard, added peas and chopped tomato, little bit of salt and honey. It's marvelous.

I also just came to the realization that cold potato masala salad would be amazing.

Sounds like bhel puri.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Wot he said. Loads of good veg* food outside western cuisine. (plenty inside it too.. make a soup, saute a veg, etc )

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

All my staple recipes are online: https://taterpies.github.io/recipes/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

therattle posted:

I love tossing oiled tofu in cornflour and roasting it until crispy.

Huh, never thought of that - I figure cornflour dusted tofu would need to be fried not dry roasted.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Did you spread it on thick like peanut butter? Also vegemite is similar but a bit more mellow (and also better in every way fight me).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

I have Vegemite and quite enjoy it. I find hard to like stir into a soup or something. Is marmite less viscous?

Actually depends which country you're in. I remember it being more like vegemite in New Zealand, but the stuff in the UK is runny like thick honey.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Diamond train choo choo. My supermarket stopped carrying it so I bought 5 lbs online and just refill from the stash periodically.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Yep I've seen one of those sintered metal ones just shear in half when pressed. No bueno.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Wow they could have at least put it all in the dishwasher.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I cook 6-7 nights a week and bring lunch to work 2 days a week. Half the time that's a dinner leftover, the other half it's an instant ramen or a grilled cheese made at home and reheated at work. Freezer is jam packed with precious meal portions like pasta sauce, stews, soups, chili, dal and so on.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Carrot peels go in the scraps bag in the freezer for stock.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

dino. posted:

I had to do a hard reset on rice specifically because so much of my diet was rice that I was getting High cholesterol.

How does that work since rice contains no cholesterol?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

A classic thread on the topic: https://twitter.com/sarahtaber_bww/status/1086055093244432385

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I have sad news for you all: this kale recipe from Serious Eats really loving sucks. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/cook-the-book-garlicky-mushrooms-and-kale.html

In fact, most of their vegetable dishes that I've tried are garbage. How is it that they make good comfort food, and absolute clusterfucks of anything good for you? :psyduck:

You want this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/roasted-potato-salad-mushrooms-shallots-kale-recipe.html

also

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/black-pepper-tofu-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

mediaphage posted:

The internet, by and large, is totally wrong about sourdough and wastes way too much. It’s not nearly as finicky as you think. You can leave it in the fridge for weeks or months at a time, add a tablespoon or two to a 1:1 flour:water mixture, and throw away the rest.

Truth. Haven't touched mine since Chistmas. Going to wake it up and start baking regularly since I don't have time as an excuse any more.

I read a recipe somewhere for sourdough pancakes using discarded starter. Pancakes aren't waste!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

This is a good chutney if you have some tamarind https://rakskitchen.net/onion-chutney-recipe-how-to-make-vengaya-chutney/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Sun dried tomatoes (also kale and mushrooms, but the super intense dried/roast tomatoes are what zips it up)

Edit: for baked mac

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Hiding mediocrity with deliciousness is my entire cooking ethos.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

therattle posted:

It is. My son loves rice pudding (as do i) and I made one on Friday with cinnamon, saffron and lemon zest.

Oh I'll try saffron next time. Coconut and lemon is my staple, with just a dash of cinnamon to help it thicken up. I'm hooked on eating it with a spoonful of marmalade on top.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

That Works posted:

In my experience acorns will have the better seeds to work with

Also objectively the best squash. Except maaaybe delicata.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Correct, except in curries and noodle sauces.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Close

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You are British, and thus my intellectual and spiritual superior, marmalade is better

:hmmyes:

I started making marmalade with grapefruit, naval orange, blood orange, lemon and lime and there is no going back noooow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I do not understand stuffing (as evidenced by this forums username). Savory bread pudding I can get behind. But apple and rice??