Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Anyone else listening to Rock Solid? I enjoy it, even though Pat Francis has the most wretched taste in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi posted:

this may not be 100% accurate, but I want you to remember this smell the next time you buy garbage bags

Oh god yes that was loving amazing.

The first handful of post-Schmidt episodes I thought, "Ugh this is gonna suck, Belknap is awkward and terrible". Now I can't imagine the show without him, often the funniest moments are his.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Belknap will totally play you if you challenge him in SongPop. Right now he's beating me 5-3. Looks like his favorite category is TV Themes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Maybe Jimmy doesn't like Bill Burr? I think Burr is funny but he seems like kind of a douchebag.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 13, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

"Insufferable" is the exact word I would use to describe Jimmy Dore. Post-Todd CAEE is downright unlistenable.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That's Lewis's shtick, though, and Jimmy plays along.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bandolier posted:

Schmidt seriously impresses me and I admire his ability to ad lib on so many topics with such caustic delivery/turns of phrase, but the show definitely came into its own once he left. However, for me nothing has yet topped the story of him hiding in his neighbors' bathtub while their mom used the toilet. I should really get around to listening to his podcast because he was a hell of a storyteller.

How much you enjoy his podcast depends on how much you can tolerate his producer/sidekick Lili cackling with hilarity at EVERY SINGLE loving WORD OUT OF HIS MOUTH. Good luck.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I haven't watched the videos yet, but there have been several bonus episodes of the show when it was called "The Writer's Room". I've never liked it as much as NNF or "Running Your Trap" (now called "Bluff You") but it's okay.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Riptor posted:

ball's in your court
balls in your mouth

Jimmy's reaction made that so delightful.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My impression is that it was mostly a personal falling out between Jimmy and Mike (at least in part of because of Mike's resentment over Jimmy not using his success to help elevate Mike's career) and possibly also a difference of opinion over how the show should be. I don't recall it ever being specifically stated, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi, are you the one with the pizza topping Stupid Question on this week's ep? It sounded like they said "the indigi".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I listen for Jimmy and Matt. The guest is just extra. Bob Zany was loving horrible, but I still enjoyed the episode. The only episode that was truly "bad" for me was Mark Vollman.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pompous Clown is a fantastic album

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Radio Talmudist posted:

I also feel that Matt is genuinely hilarious, though in a very unassuming way.

It took him a while to get there though. He's painful in season 1 and through part of season 2. It was really great to hear him come into his own, and now I can't imagine the show without him.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Matt's amazing trash bag story was on a live ep.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Riptor posted:

I really did not like that austin bonus ep

C'mon, it's got Cajun Jimmy!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Joe DeRosa so dumb that he thinks reworking authorless blues standards is "stealing?"

This is hardly an unusual complaint about Led Zeppelin. Nor an unfounded one. "Authorless blues standards" is just wrong. Willie Dixon, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin' Wolf, Jake Holmes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This is more about Rock Solid than NNF, but jesus loving hell, please stop April Richardson from saying "jam" ever again.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LentThem posted:

I fell behind on NNF by about 4 months and am catching up on the backlog, and am astounded that the gang has been jacking off about Hamilton in every single episode during that timespan; it comes up often enough that it feels like a morning zoo segment.

To be fair, a lot of stuff on NNF is like a morning zoo segment, something they acknowledge with some embarrassment.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LentThem posted:

fuuuuuck, Matt. Maybe listening to some Captain Dan Age of Sail gimmick rap would help you get over this before your daughter gets too embarrassed by you

I was almost prepared to defend Matt, but it really is reaching embarrassing proportions on the Aukerman ep. It's nice to see someone be enthusiastic about something, but sheesh, take it down a notch. Also, Jimmy already subjected us to never-ending Hamilton talk a loving YEAR AGO.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was looking forward to Diane Franklin, but I'm 10 minutes into her appearance and she's in the running for top 5 worst guests ever. I'm thinking cocaine is involved.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not Operator posted:

Her Sevens performance was so bad it felt intentional.

It was a pretty spectacular failure that almost made it worth it to listen to the rest of her time on the episode.

I wonder if Mike Henry will now have to redo the Sevens theme again to make it even MORE clunky and difficult for Matt to explain to guests.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Boy do I hate that they've told Elliot he can sing because now he's gotta join in EVERY loving TIME someone else starts singing. It's like he thinks he's found his loving "niche" on the show or something. It's almost as bad as the stupid "dootle-oo-doo-doo" Doc Severinsen poo poo he tries to sneak in there when Dirty Carson shows up.

I have a lot of disproportionate anger at Elliot, I guess. He's just such a goddamn goon. I only enjoy him when everyone else is making GBS threads on him. Which he deserves.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I dunno, I think there's still some funny in the "Spank Bank" talk.

I do think "Sevens" needs to be retired, though, or at least go on a lengthy hiatus. I don't know what they're hoping to get out of that any more.

Anyone else notice Matt seems weirdly arrogant lately? I feel like it started with the whole Fences-spoiling thing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Boredumb posted:

Matt is so stubborn, not sure if it's me, it just feels like it is getting worse every season.

His "I refuse to accept that Trading Places doesn't hold up" shtick is really loving stupid. I haven't been this annoyed with Matt since season 1.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That's painful to read. I think Pat's shtick has gotten pretty tiresome (his pretending to be racist often sounds a lot like he's just super loving racist) but what a sad portrait of a friendship ending. Jimmy has always called Pat his best friend. I'd like to hear his side of it more, but I'm sure each side would be skewed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's as bad as you think it would be. Never Not Hamilton. My least favorite episode in a long time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

First half includes what Warner Bros and Disney characters would play what parts in Hamilton.

Listening to this now. This is a new low for NNF. I'm not gonna bail on the show because I pay for Player's Club, but boy it sure is getting harder to listen to.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Episode 2107:

* Eliot talking way more than anyone wants
* Matt's weird stubbornness once again regarding this board game
* omg this Wheeler character is a loving comedy nightmare

Only halfway through this ep and thinking about bailing out. Between too much Eliot, arrogant Matt, incessant Hamilton chat, and a couple of really blah guests, this show has been in a real downward spiral lately :( For the first time I'm considering not re-upping my Player's Club membership next season.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah that one was fine. He was a good guest.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Who has to clean up all those names Summers dropped?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Riptor posted:

I think maybe the bloom is off the rose for you guys and you should find another show

who's your crawdaddy posted:

I like 90% of the show, I guess it's just the 10% I don't enjoy has become really grating. I used to like that they could find funny in Elliot's interruptions. Now it just seems to completely halt whatever fun/rhythm they're on. He's been completely not funny for like 8 years now.

I think I'm down to about 80%. Elliot's presence can be fun when he says something typically Elliot and everyone gets to poo poo on him. When they let him get away with it (or god help us, praise him) it's terrible. I wonder what the numbers are for the video watchers... I can't imagine that many people bother to look at their phones (or computer screens) for ~4 hours every week watching some guys talk around a table. If it were up to me, I'd can the video and let Elliot go, but it's not up to me and of course some subscribers would be very upset.

IMHO the bigger problem is Matt Belknap being all cocky and combative about everything and not knowing when to let something go and move on. I don't know what happened to him, but as I said before, he's weirdly stubborn now. I don't want to get rid of him because he still brings an awful lot to the table, I think. But more and more I'm getting annoyed by him.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The latest ep is really strong. Josh Gondelman is a terrific guest. Bonus: Elliot getting the treatment he richly deserves. If they're not going to get rid of him (of course they aren't) then yes, please mercilessly poo poo on him when he clunks up the podcast with his stupid Elliot crap.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I still listen but it's definitely lower priority for me these days. I probably will not renew my Player's Club subscription. For me, Eliot has drat near ruined the show (although Matt's weird arrogance/anger issues aren't helping either). They need to take away his microphone. They never will because Jimmy and Matt are his friends and actually like the loving guy, but goddamn I just hate it every time Eliot opens his stupid mouth. Now I'm sure Eliot is a very nice human being with great qualities. I just can't stand listening to him and his pathological need to show off and his not-very-impressive singing and his inability to read the comedic tone of the room and his "Here's the thing..." and his stupid rants and all the other awful poo poo he does to clunk up the podcast.

EDIT: looking back through the thread, I realize I've been making the same complaints for a year and a half now. I guess I should just unsubscribe, but man... I really want this show to be great again.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 25, 2018

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It was really weird and pathetic. I'd love to know the whole story behind that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Matt Belknap is really terrible at accepting opinions that vary from his own. If Garon doesn't like the loving Ant-Man movie, clearly it's just because he's watching it wrong.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Boco_T posted:

I was completely out of other shows to listen to and I was mad that the last episode of Threedom was entirely them playing their awful "features" so I downloaded the Jameela Jamil episode. It was really good. She immediately got it and was very funny. It was for sure a mistake to listen to the part before where she came in, so I'll skip that when I listen to the Chris Fairbanks one. Maybe I can get away with listening to a few episodes here and there and not be exhausted by it.

Yes, Jameela Jamil was fantastic. As my list of gripes with this show grows longer, the more my enjoyment depends on the quality of the guest. Which is why I have no regrets about not resubscribing to the Players Club, where the guests are mostly hack comics you never heard of or tired old regulars like Mike Siegel and Paul Gilmartin.

Apparently Eliot doesn't have a girlfriend any more. Hard to believe, huh?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Anyone still listening? I haven't subscribed to Player's Club for a year and based on the guest list, I've had no regrets (the one episode I was bummed I missed, Scott Aukerman, was released on the free feed anyway). For the first time I didn't bother with Pardcast-a-thon. I skipped a few episodes, listened to Yakov Smirnoff and Jay Mohr... both were meh. It's just a bunch of old white men repeating the same tired jokes and doing the same bits over and over again, and getting stuff wrong a lot (I swear Matt Belknap is the loving KING of misinformation). I think this show just isn't for me anymore, but I've been with it for so long I'm reluctant to cut the cord.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Finally cut the cord, after I don't know how many years. It was one of the first podcasts I subscribed to, but it feels good to let it go. I no longer need to listen to a bunch of middle-aged white dudes regurgitate the same old jokes and be wrong about stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gotta say I'm almost tempted to check back in to hear discussion of the "Cats" trailer. But that would be a Player's Club episode, so never mind.