Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Electoral Surgery posted:

I'm taking my advanced open water course this week. It started at six people. Four dropped out after the gear checkout pool session on Friday night because their rental drysuits were leaking; I watched one guy pour two quarts out of a boot. Yesterday the one guy in a wetsuit dropped out because he was feeling sick, couldn't manage buoyancy and felt like he couldn't breathe underwater. So today I got two dives private instruction, and tomorrow we go out for two more after work.

Cold water diving is rad.

I have a bunch of friends who work in Florida, while I'm now up in New England. I make sure to periodically send them photos of my dive computer's temperature readout so I can hear them scream from two thousand miles away. It's also fun to mention the feel of snow under your dive boots as you walk down to the water and watch their faces.
I made a few buttons to hand around the people at school who dive during the winter for our research last year. I kind of want to find a way to make them into legit patches, but it amuses me nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hardcore, man. I only dive wet, so I usually pack it in around mid November, picking back up in early May.

Do you dive Cape Ann?

I'm a poor grad student, so I've been diving wet too - but because I'm a pretty big guy and most grad students in marine biology these days are women, I tend to have an advantage in the sense of "they're smaller and have a higher surface area to volume ratio, so will be cold enough to end the dive before my blubbery self is going to die." A lot of our work is actually up at Nubble Light in Maine. There must be more science done per rock at Nubble than anywhere else in the Gulf of Maine at this point.

Edit to add clarification: this isn't me throwing shade on the women I work with, because they're all badasses and very good at what they do. I just have more natural insulation on my body than they do.

Timmy Age 6 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 30, 2019

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm a loving walrus, I have plentiful blubber.

How skinny are you?

On vacation in blue carribean water, I always dive without a wetsuit. At 78F degrees and above, just board shorts and rash guard on top. And yet I see skinny people getting out of that same water and shivering. Blows my mind.

Some say "dad bod," I say "dive bod." It's a useful adaptation!

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This isn't quite SCUBA, but since we're talking Keys, has anyone been to Ft. Jefferson to snorkel/freedive? It's pricey, but a friend of mine went and raved about it. Granted I'm not sure he'd ever seen a coral reef before. Is it in much better condition/different from say, Molasses Reef in Key Largo?

Oh holy hell yes. The Tortugas are way better. Turns out that having an intact ecosystem due to National Park protections makes a difference. I was lucky enough to get to do some research diving out there and it was incredible.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

sharkytm posted:

She's an AAUS-certified scientific diver, and a marine biogeochemist. Her diving mostly consists of 4 activities:
1. Collecting sediment cores. Weight 10# heavy, lie on your belly the bottom and push in a 4" ID polycarbonate tube, then dig under and cap the bottom.
2. Deploying/recovering porewater peepers. Same as above, just with a 1x12", 18" tall block of plastic with a membrane over it. You have to assemble it under water, so installing 50+ 6-32 screws while sitting on the bottom.
3. Collecting eelgrass plants for tissue analysis/photographing/science poo poo. Carefully extract the plant and rhizome from the sediment, avoiding blue/green crabs, jellyfish, and mantis shrimp. All by feel, of course, because you've stirred up the bottom.
4. Counting eelgrass blade density. Literally counting blades of grass. Toss a .25m² quadrat off the boat, then find it and count.

All in a harbor that is 12' at its deepest point in the channel. Most of her work is in ~2-5' of water. The seafloor is mostly sandy mud, with some sandy spots where they don't need to collect samples.

Diving for work sounds fun... At least in the pool, the viz isn't poo poo, and there might be spare change on the bottom.

The joys of research diving! I did my master's in the Keys, so everyone thinks reefs and clear water. I dove out at the reef maybe five times in three summers. The vast majority of my work was up in Florida Bay, so I was standing on my head in six feet of murky water looking under things. That being said, I love doing the work dives, because not only am I allowed to touch the wildlife, it's actually literally why I'm there. Science is fun.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If I lived in the affected areas I'd be tempted to fill a big aquarium with lionfish. They're pretty.

That’s what the people whose fish these are descended from thought, too...

They’re super tasty, though.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
This is a super edge case, but because GoPros are so small, I think they get cold and drain their batteries more easily. I was helping on a project last January doing photo quadrats off the coast of New Hampshire, and the GoPro they planned to use went from full charge to zero after literally just a handful of pictures. I have a Panasonic point and shoot in a housing and that seemed to have enough thermal inertia to keep chugging along. Not an issue if you aren't planning to do any diving in almost-literally-freezing cold water, though!

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Jato posted:

Anyone have suggestions for dive shops and/or worthwhile dive sites in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area?

I got PADI certified about 6 months ago in Mexico and have only done a handful of dives, and my buddy is a lot more experienced than I but hasn't done any diving for a couple years. We're flying down to St. Pete in two weeks to spend a few days with the intention of just doing some chill, easy dives to make sure we're both comfortable with everything and with diving together before we plan a more exciting dive trip. We were also trying to decide if it's worthwhile to rent or charter a boat or just get some recommendations from a shop for where to go dive off the beach.

I worked for a bit with Florida Fish & Wildlife in St. Pete and we got our tanks and gear serviced at Bill Jackson's in Pinellas Park. You can rent gear there. There's not a ton of good shore diving in the immediate area, but if you don't mind doing a bit more driving, Venice Beach is about an hour down the road and is all right. There are some artificial reefs just offshore where you get snook and groupers hanging out, plus it's known for the fossil shark teeth you can find in the sand. I think when we did it back in 2016 we hit up Service Club Park but that was just something we picked without too much local knowledge.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Trig Discipline posted:

I haven't had a close call with a submarine but the goddamn glass bottom boats full of tourists would come and just hover over us while we were working in Curacao and it pissed us off to no end. For one thing it's a safety issue, but for another thing we don't want tourists seeing us catch fish for research and think it's okay for them to do the same. The methods we use (barrier nets, dip nets, and chemicals while on SCUBA) are straight up illegal for anyone who doesn't have special permission. We're also often negatively buoyant and crawling around on the substrate, so it's not even a good example to set for the tourists for how to dive safely/responsibly.

Also possibly the most terrifying "I'm going to loving die" moment I've ever had on SCUBA was when one of those fuckers went right over us in barely enough water for us to cling to the bottom and have it go over us. I could feel my whole body thrumming with the vibrations from the engine.

Research diving is loads of fun like that in touristy areas. Even when just getting down to the water - I'm sure there are dozens of tour buses worth of photos of my colleagues and I lumbering down the rocks to shore dives by lighthouses. Extra fun when you're overheating in 7 mm of neoprene and a hood on a hot summer day and some rando family of retirees wants to hear all about what you're doing! Fortunately, in those spots, I'm usually just the helper and I can abandon my buddy to her fate of telling them about her work while I happily splash around and cool off in the shallows. There are occasional benefits to mostly working in places that aren't as, uh, scenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Trig Discipline posted:

Yes! I have worked at CARMABI off and on for almost twenty years now (jesus christ really?). I've done a ton of work on those reefs right across the channel. They're generally nice but can get a bit nasty sometimes, but if you can get a little boat and head maybe 500m further up along the coast it is absolutely amazing.

When we first started working there most of what currently exists wasn't built yet, none of the buildings had air con, and anything you set down anywhere would get stolen within thirty seconds. My first trip there I was working on sperm motility in wrasses, and needed to centrifuge samples to extract sperm. The best I could do given what was available there was to tie a string around an eppendorf tube and whip it around over my head as fast as I could. Then I got the idea to use the ceiling fan in one of the labs as a centrifuge instead, which worked slightly better.

I cannot for the life of me fully express how much I enjoy the stupid bullshit improvisation aspect of field research, which is doubly the case for diving work - maybe someone somewhere was silly enough to build a tool for the strange task I am doing, but odds are they didn’t need to do it underwater…