Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Has anyone run ESXi 5.5 with Intel 82599 10g adapters with SR-IOV active? VT-D and IOMMU are on in uefi. I added the module parameter to create the virtual functions and rebooted, but when I attach a VF to a guest it won't pass traffic. The packet counters on the interface in the guest never change. (RHEL 6.4 guest OS, Lenovo x3650 M5 chassis)

The adapter works fine if I remove the VF parameters, reboot, and create a vswitch that uses it so I know the external plumbing is correct.

Do I need to grab current Intel drivers for this card for 5.5 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

evol262 posted:

Can you see them in lspci on the host console? The virtual functions should also enumerate on the bus.

Also check esxcfg-module -g ixgbe

Yes: Network Controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function shows up on 0000:10:10.0 through 10.7

Esxcfg-module : ixgbe enabled = 1 options = 'max_vfs=20,20'

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

I have briefed multiple new customers planning to buy new mainframes specifically because it will be cheaper for them to port their linux junk to s390x and move to kvm than to stay in vmware with the expected pricing change

I wonder if that increases or decreases now that the change happened

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

If you go too far down that path you end up at nova-compute openstack - the least common denominator of hypervisor management.

It can manage almost any hypervisor as long as you dont want it to do anything cool or good.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Kaddish posted:

I have no practical knowledge or experience with it but why haven't I seen Nutanix in the VMware replacement conversation very much?

I guess probably just general awareness, and then looking at it they have their own hypervisor but 5 minutes of googling doesnt turn up any description of what technology its based on. So thats a “hmmmmmmm….”

Then once you put it in front of the technical team they give you a list of reasons why it wont work that all come after unspoken reason 0: its not vmware so i dont want to do it.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

OVirt is still there, has it started withering yet since redhat killed RHV?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

Finally, XenServer's time to shine!

:frogout:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

IBM sez “Come back to momma…” and is waving you towards a mainframe

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

If your workload is linux or java based may i interest you in an enterprise server alternative that comes with the very best hypervisor in the world, and also is the only one im aware of thats EAL5+ certified ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/linuxone-4-express-how-ibm-s-budget-mainframe-could-be-right-for-you/ar-BB1iaIUH

apparently i need to note that this is sarcasm because some people will take me seriously again if i dont

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Its all node frameworks on serverless these days. Infrastructure is irrelevant, grandpa.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Broadcom vs Oracle - Fight!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

There will be the cowards who just sigh and crack open the wallet to give broadcom their extortion money

There will be the subtle troublemakers who start using kvm or hyperV on the downlow and moving stuff there over time, avoiding contact with the broadcom sales people as much as possible

There will be cowboys who declare it all bullshit and start porting their workloads to TheCloud/FreeBSD/OpenVMS/FreeDOS and either win glorious victory or burn half the company down by accident

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Is there a distinction between windows based workloads and linux based workload in terms likely options?

I feel like theres probably less options for windows based environments, but thats based on gut feel not real experience.

It just seems like you can virtualize linux a whole bunch of ways and get decent performance but not so much with windows.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Welcome to the legacy systems meeting everyone. Well get started here in a minute, but first!

We have some new faces! Everybody, these are the VMware people! Welcome! Donuts and coffee are over there on the side thanks to Wanda from the VMS group thanks Wanda!

Ok as a quick intro these guys ignoring me and arguing with each other are the UNIX grognards, arguing about SystemV vs BSD.

Those folks are the Netware people, aaaand those guys are the mainframe guys.

Oo and Wanda, VMS, yup…

Me? Oh im the telco guy. I did copper line work.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

If broadcom jacks your costs enough, and you primarily run linux/java based stuff, you can absolutely save money buying a goddamn mainframe from ibm and consolidating everything into it that will fit vs continuing business as usual with broadcom on x86

This is not to say the mainframe is cheap. Lol no of course it isnt.

This is to illustrate how bad broadcom is loving you over.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Blade servers are back, baby

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Harry_Potato posted:

Nutanix is the last enterprise hypervisor standing.

https://www.ibm.com/products/zvm

The first enterprise hypervisor is doing fine, tyvm
52 years young!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Itll be stuff that has a dependency on vmware specific management apis for things like virtual desktop solutions that really cant move to not-vmware platforms

You can run the cruddiest windows flavors under kvm/qemu now and they even kinda perform okayish with the virtio drivers. Well, you have to have somebody who knows how to install the virtio drivers and convert the .vmdk to .img or .qcow2 but comeon aaaaaaanybody can do that.