Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just checking in to say I've completed a migration at work from 3x Dell 2950s running the free ESXi and local storage to 3x R520s with 96GB RAM each, dual Xeon E5-2450 and an HP P2000 G3 SAN with the vSphere Essentials Plus kit and finished the migration off this evening. Sort of learnt by doing over the past few years but will be hanging around in here to hopefully help out people in similar situations and pick up some tips for larger deployments.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're in the UK so these prices are ex VAT and in GBP. SAN with 10x 600GB 2.5" SAS disks and 12 3.5" 1TB NLSAS and switches was £12500 about 8 months ago, VM hosts were just over £4000 each and bought last week. Software license was £1500 with production support since we are education, but I think it's still pretty cheap if you aren't.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I missing something or is Windows Azure exactly what you want? 90 day trial as well so you can probably get the certs before you need to pay anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ That. Essentials Plus seems designed for what you want it for, unless you need things like Fault Tolerance, Storage vMotion, DRS, DPM etc then I'd stick with Essentials Plus and save a ton of cash. The R520s are great little boxes and very well priced, but I'd get the dual 8 core CPUs since Essentials Plus limits you on socket count.

Use the cash you've saved to move to 15k SAS or a unified box with SSD caching if it will stretch that far.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I found this (and the documents linked from it) very helpful when trying to get my head around multipathing when I first set up an iSCSI SAN for VMware.

http://jpaul.me/?p=413

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Couple hours ago, I went through the free training for this. And by training, I mean "basically a three-hour VMware ad with no content whatsoever".

Since I have no VMware certs, and don't have the time/resources to get a VCP right now, I might get this to have something that looks good on a resume. Should be dead-simple to pass the exam even with almost no hands-on VMware experience, and the price is right. I'm under no allusions that it's actually worth a drat, though.

I found it a little bit useful in terms of sorting out the hundreds of terms that are used to explain various things, it's all stuff I knew from having used the product but there are worse ways to prove you have a slight clue of what you're talking about. I'm in the same position re:VCP so I'm hoping I can throw this on a resume and end up working somewhere that sees the point in training people. I definitely don't regard it as anything to shout about though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're just running Windows on it then a bunch of Server 2012 R2 Datacenter licenses and Hyper-V would be cheaper than VMware, but there's a cost involved in the form of System Center to manage it all properly.

But it's a weird question because everything has a non-zero cost. If the issue is capex then run things in Azure rather than trying to hack something together.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a difference in the XenServer version on the XenServer.org website vs. the Citrix page?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not just set the 10GbE path as active, and the 1Gb as standby? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Groan, I just tried to migrate from a 5.1 vCenter to 5.5 for the experience of it, and while SSO works on the new 5.5 server, and I've added domain admins as to the administrator group in the web client, when I log on with a domain admin account, while it is successful in logging in, I can't perform any actions and it doesn't see the vCenter server at all:

which means I missed a step :( what'd I gloss over?

(I should mention that if I log in as administrator@vsphere-local it sees the server and I can perform actions)

eee: Oh I'd added domain admins to administrators, but never gave it permissions to the vCenter server, that'd do it

My memory is hazy on this one but there's a vCenter group that you need to add your AD group to. I can't be more helpful as I don't have access to the server that I set this up on, and it was about 8 months back. But you're not alone in finding it a pain in the arse.

Edit: That will teach me to not refresh before replying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The confusion is that the thick client is completely useless now unless you have a vCenter Server, so everyone running actual production stuff on a free hypervisor got a bit irritated and loud. Connect the client to one of the hosts as opposed to the vCenter instance and you'll see what I mean.

But the focus is very much on the web interface going forward, and I'm in two minds about that. It's great for me because I use a Mac and got bored using a Windows VM to manage vSphere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All the cool stuff comes with SCVMM though, which is a non-trivial thing to set up, whereas vCenter can just be deployed as a virtual appliance and left to sort itself out.

If you're a Windows shop though then yeah, Hyper-V makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not super clear, and I'm not sure what terminology VMware use, but if there's no mention of it affecting 5.1 Update 1 / Update 2 then does that mean that it's only a problem on 5.1?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your other option is to run a Windows 7 VM and then Windows 98 inside that and pass what the Windows 7 computer sees as a hardware serial port through to the VM running Windows 98. But that's a very inception way of doing things.

Edit: It's on-topic to the thread title though!

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm surprised there aren't network serial servers that talk directly to VMware and show up as a hardware port to be used in a VM. Maybe there are?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spy Netgear and Linksys switches

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I put VCSA in when it was version 5 (I think, it was a while back). It was horrible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

It's still not great, but it has improved immensely. We still have to restart ours regularly, which may or may not have to do with XenDesktop, not quite sure.

I just remember a fairly lengthy ordeal getting it to talk to AD, something to do with the SSO part of it being almost not there.

Edit: I just remembered that most of my issues were caused by certain privileged accounts that had access to set up the integration stuff having default credentials different to the one that ran on Windows, and not featured in any of the documentation. That was a fun day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people have an opinion one way or the other on the Windows cluster-in-a-box products like the Fujitsu CX420? One SKU gets you the chassis, two nodes, shared storage, and 2x Windows Server Datacenter licenses.

It looks like a decent option for SMB virtualisation where the requirements are perhaps for lots of application servers rather than heavy DB loads or VDI, etc. Other than the obvious lack of expansion without buying a SAN, am I missing anything?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I've been eyeing the Dell VRTX for awhile now to virtualize our low priority office support machines. Same concept except 4 nodes, which to me is the minimum number you'd want for something like this. The lack of expansion and a single point of failure are your obvious downsides.

Then I went to a dell lunch for nutanix and now I really want one those instead, but those are serious cash. Wish they would just sell the software decoupled from the hardware, or have vmware buy them and make it be the new vsan.

I priced up a VRTX through our partner pricing and with 2 nodes its within £70 of the Fujitsu. I'll take that for the expansion options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why were you even doing the whole VDI thing if you have real PC hardware on the clients and the ability to manage them effectively?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

I support this argument.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

What's pricing on the VRTX and different EVO Rails solutions look like?

Our standard branch office deployment is just 3 DL360's and a VNXe which runs around 50 grand and will run quite a few VM's. We have several sites with no IT staff at all, and an AIO solution could be nice.

VRTX is pretty inexpensive, it's priced for the market it's aimed at, which is why it has the ability to be a tower instead of a rackmount unit and has "office level" acoustics.

Has anyone looked at the Dell PowerEdge FX stuff yet?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

Oh wait, nevermind, it just took like half a year to start.

vcsa_problems.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Mac mini? Or a NUC. SLAT is just another word for EPT according to Wikipedia.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Knighty21 posted:

I'm currently assigning 4 cores to each box (I was giving two cores to each when my host had 4 cores + HT so figured doubling them on this host made sense). Could this actually be hurting performance?

Yes.

http://www.gabesvirtualworld.com/how-too-many-vcpus-can-negatively-affect-your-performance/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that the BIOS on the host or a guest setting?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like your CIO thinks OpenStack is just like vSphere but without the licensing costs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this any good?

http://www.cloudbase.it/hyper-v-promiscuous-mode/

I had to do something similar in vSphere to get a VPN concentrator to work properly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I have about a week or so to learn both oVirt and Openstack, and get them to share resources. :smith:

:stonklol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do these servers do? Not everything is a candidate for virtualisation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did not know about USB devices being shared around via IP, that's very handy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The RS-232 stuff might be replaceable with something like

http://www.brainboxes.com/ethernet-to-serial

As far as the computer is concerned once the drivers are installed it's a hardware serial port. With the exception I think of dumping voltage across serial pins, check first.

Stuff that loops video I'd probably look to replace with a digital signage player.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rhymenoserous posted:

2. Sort the time options: Google is your friend. Last I read the current practice is install vmtools or what the gently caress ever retarded off brand virtualization you are using, have it pull from the ESX server and have ESX pull from an external NTP source. I use the US Navies :sun:. Microsofts is good too.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1318

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell DPACK will do that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hooly gently caress. The only way this is going to save money over a few new hosts + vSphere Essentials Plus is if your time costs gently caress all. In which case, condolences.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Number19 posted:

I was considering it too but then I realized that all the config is done "in my butt" and that if I ever decide not to renew my subscriptions I am stuck with the config as is until the end of time. That soured me enough on the concept to make me look elsewhere.

IIRC Meraki stuff will flat out stop working, it won't just hold the last config that was pushed to it.

I don't see it as a huge issue, I just see the management licenses as being like the support contracts that I keep all the other stuff covered by.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hyper-V looks attractive once you're buying Datacenter licenses, but with the recent changes around the licensing of System Center I'd see what the actual price is to get something comparable to a vSphere Standard w/vCenter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/win2008-virtual.aspx

It's licensed per pair of sockets, hypervisor doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's also the remote office branch office packs which aren't limited on the amount of hosts but have a hard limit on the number of VMs you can run. For most use cases I'd have thought an Essentials Plus kit is the way to go.