Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Phanatic posted:

The DeProef/Sly Fox collab, Broederlijke Liefde, was awesome. They started out intending to do a brown ale and ended up making a brett saison, I'm not sure what happened but it was great.

This was real good. I usually don't have too many collabs but this, Saison du Buff, Marron Acidifie and Highway 78 Scotch ale have been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

CalvinDooglas posted:

I'm excited that West Coast is finally in Maine. I really enjoyed their regular IPA.

I didn't get around to doing the mini cheese pairing for myself last night, but now I might get a single of West Coast Double Stout and do a back to back with Storm King. And some stinky cheese. Is West Coast's Double Stout worth buying?

Its Green Flash and yes I enjoyed it the couple times I've had it. I haven't tried it since they now bottle in 12 oz bottles but pick it up GF's stuff is solid

rage-saq posted:

Stillwater has this thing with beers brewed with a great farmhouse yeast and I have a thing for loving the everloving poo poo out of them, and Of Love and Regret is no different. The label declares this as being like a fresh meadow in spring and they aren't exaggerating in the least. There is this wonderful mild grassy fresh hops combined with some flowery botanicals on top of this light, really easy drinking saison and its just delicious. Its a tad on the expensive side or I'd buy this one a LOT.

My recent appreciation for Saisons makes me sad we don't get Stillwater distro around here. The bottle artwork alone would make me buy it

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Some people man... Let's not forget that its just beer. Beer's supposed to be the social drink shared amongst friends. I sure as hell do not agree with some of InBevs 'tactics' but to wish death upon a man trying to earn a living is despicable

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Stillwater may have some of the best bottle artwork around. I am fully jealous of whoever gets their distro.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Ubik posted:

/edit: Would anybody be interested in an Ask/Tell thread about working in a brewery? Would any of the other brewers here be interested in contributing to it?

I would be interested in gaining some more inside knowledge. I am fascinated how some of the smaller craft breweries exists (The Alchemist comes to mind) and part of me wonders how easy (or not) it would be to start a small nanobrewery

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Many might disagree, but Firestone Walker's Abacus (Sucaba) is stellar and a great barleywine to get into barleywines. It's one of the best of the style and pretty easily available, at least in New Jersey. It's super easy to drink compared to others I've had.

I love abacus but I think it's unfair to introduce someone to a Barrel aged barley wine

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Now that I think of it, I need to go pick up the last few Firestone 2011 Abacus, 2011 Parabola, and 14 this hole in the wall shop has. I'm blown away with how good they all are, Firestone knows their poo poo. I'm definitely going to try smoking a cigar for the next 2011 Parabola I have, that's for sure. Depending on how many of each I find left I may be up for a trade if anyone was looking for them.

Let me in on your secret shop! I'm still sitting on a bottle of both Abacus '11 and Parabola '11

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Phanatic posted:

What is the difference between these two? I've been sitting on a bottle of Abacus for a while, I can only assume Sucuba is related, but how?

FW got a cease and desist from a winery that also uses Abacus as their brand name. So they got clever and reversed the name.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I love iron hill. Such a good brew pub/restaurant. If you're ever in the philly /new jersey area there are a bunch of locations. I had their saison with some Brett and their #100 which has like 900 lbs of malt and 100 lbs of Centennial hops. Both really solid, their regular lineup is decent but their seasonals are awesome

VVV yeah maple shade

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 5, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The 30th SN black barleywine was one of the best beers I've had in the last year. Roasty, Hoppy, some caramel sweetness, simply amazing. I haven't given Sierra Nevada as much love as other breweries but all their stuff is solid.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

I don't ever see people thinking, "Well, it was a good run while it lasted drinking good beer but it's time to go back to Bud!"

Maybe not to that extent but I can see the average craft beer guy saying I love Hop Devil let me buy all of it from here on out. We, as craft beer goons/nerds/geeks/enthusiasts, are a unique niche of the beer drinking population. Most of the time people settle on something they like and aren't really interested in trying every new beer they see

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bartolimu posted:

Black Xantus
This is a correct opinion.

Thirding this opinion. Aside from Beer Geek Brunch, I don't think I've had a more velvety smooth coffee stout. Low coffee bitterness with a ton of coffee flavor

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Coulda sworn someone said earlier that one could age Hopslam, or was that just more "it still tastes ok if you have one kicking around afterward"?

'Cuz if not I'm totally busting out my last one tonight.

Theoretically you COULD age Hopslam if you wanted to, its just not going to taste at all like it did fresh. Usually even higher alcohol % DIPA are better fresh than aged. The hops are the main attraction to these beers and thats what is going to fade first and fastest.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
FW around my area varies. I've seen Parabola and Abacus go for $15 average, the Anniversary blends are usually $20, Double jack and Walker's Reserve are in the $8-10 range. Black Xantus was $12

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Arnold of Soissons posted:

e: for the new page, a wall paper of the best dopple bock that man hath wrought

I need to have that again. I love that you get an ornament with it too.

I can drink colette all summer long. Thank god its saison season

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bengy81 posted:

That Ten Fidy was the buy of the century, I would kill to score a fresh pack for under $13, much less an aged one.

Confession time: I just had my first taste of Yeti tonight, and it was AMAZING! The chocolate and coffee and wow, it was so loving good. What are some other imperial stouts worth trying?

Victory Storm King

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

danbanana posted:

Obviously my point was: there's plenty of breweries that encourage aging, and I'm going to assume they do it for a reason.

Probably to encourage the consumer to buy large amounts at one time.

EDIT: Someone needs to open a bulk aging center service for breweries that want to age their beer but need to move it out of the actual brewery

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 24, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I finally had this year's batch of Hoptimum and I'm still unimpressed. Granted I don't know how old the bottle actually was but I still find it a too boozy and sweet DIPA. I prefer the dryer versions of the style.

Also had Great Divides DPA which I was way more impressed with. Any of the homebrew/brewer goons know what malts they are using? I typically don't go for the malty pale ales but whatever malts they are using with the DPA provided such a tasty backbone with a nice hoppy finish

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Took a trip up to visit Ommegang brewery in Cooperstown, New York. I wish I could just live there. Such beautiful scenery and great beer. I was surprised by two facts I learned:
One, they only use one house yeast strain for all of their beers.
Two, they produce only 36,000 BBL a year and distribute to 46 states and puerto rico.
That doesn't seem like much to distribute to all of those states. Maybe one of the brewer goons can shed some more light on this but I know Dogfish produces more BBL a year and they've been pulling OUT of markets.

I also found a small nanobrewery that had just started up called Council Rock Brewing. The people running it were super nice and showed us around their 3 BBL system. They offered three beers with a 4th fermenting: Goldenrod Ale which was a light straw colored ale, Toasted Vienna Lager my favorite and a Brown ale. All three offerings were extremely good quality for such a small and new brewery. Its great to experience a solid small brewery in their initial stages. I wish them all the best success.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I know I'm a bit late on this but finally had Rayon Vert and I definitely agree with whoever said it reminded them of Orval. Nice funky tartness paired really well with the crazy burrito I made

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

rage-saq posted:

"Belgian IPA"s are crap. I've not had one American "Belgian IPA" that I thought was any good.
Rayon Vert is not a Belgian IPA and its awesome, Le Freak kind of is and I think its totally passable.
What is awesome is American Farmhouse beers, some of which get quite hoppy but the character melds with the good saison yeast character to make a totally awesome beer.
Boulevard Tank 7, Saison Brett, Stillwater Cellar Door, Stateside Saison, Lost Abbey Carnevale, Ovila Saison, Green Flash/St Fueillien Biere de L'Amitie are excellent examples of an American Farmhouse / hoppy saison and I could drink them nearly every day.

Agreed. If I want a 'belgian ipa' I go for a saison every time.

rage-saq posted:

I made an hoppy American Farmhouse with Falconers Flight & Simcoe hops and it was so stupidly good.
Recipe please!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I did something tonight

Year old Victory at Sea Float! a perfect nightcap accompaniment to an amazing hockey game.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The last wedding I went to had at least two mid-shelf options for any kind of liquor and 5 kinds of wine, but your beer options were Bud Light or gently caress off.

The upside was that it was an open bar, so it was Scotch all the way.

This guy knows whats up.

Bell's Tap Takeover for Philly Beer Week. Black note is legit. Very smooth and a good amount of bourbon, sort of like KBS minus the coffee notes. Oarsman was my first ever Berliner Weiss and it was fantastic. I could drink that all night. Bell's also had a Rye Stout on tap and it was by far the more Rye flavored beer I've ever had regardless of style. Finished the night up with a classic, Two Hearted.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Using hop extract makes sense from a financial standpoint. Hops soak up wort, DIPAs use a fuckton of hops, therefore they soak up a fuckton of wort. That's just wasted beer and a bad business model.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm in sort of a beer funk lately. I've been drinking a ton of pale ale and IPA and am looking for a bit of a change. My buddy is having a bbq tonight for his birthday and I am going to mix a 6 to bring over. What's everyone drinking recently? I'll take brewery and style suggestions. I'm in NJ area so no Bell's, Boulevard, FFF etc.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Firestone Walker Double Jack 4 packs!

Whattt, that is amazing. I prefer the 12 oz serving size over bombers any day. Where did you find this

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Ugh not the Great Pumpkin Beer debate again. The only good pumpkin beer I've had was Night Owl by Elysian. Most of the time I'd rather of a Marzen during fall time anyway

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Captain Shortbus posted:

They had Sofie, Matilda, Juliet, and Fleur. I just saw Fleur is no longer produced, so it's on the list.

I think Fleur has kombucha tea in it or something strange like that. Its my favorite of the bunch and I'm sad they aren't making it anymore

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

ChiTownEddie posted:

Cherry wheat is horrific, I agree. Tasted like bad cough medicine to me.

Does anyone have a black IPA they can recommend? (Something available in Chicago) I adore IPAs but have not had a bipa I've liked.

21st Amendment Back in Black is decent

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Was it hard for you to get bottles of it? I can still buy XV on the shelf around here and if it were ever on tap I'm pretty sure it would stay on-tap for a while here. Firestone Walker does not get the love it deserves here.

Speaking of that, they are tapping Parabola at a local bar tomorrow, I can't wait to try it on tap.

Echoing this. There are literally unopened cases of XV at the store I frequent. I love that FW isn't highly sought after in this area (yet) Also Parabola is amazing on draft, that's the only time I've had it. Saving a bottle from this year for a good day to open up.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Picked up Brux last night. I want to try it fresh and see if I like it before getting another bottle to age

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

I'm drinking this now and find that it's hard for me to describe the flavors of brett, but the aroma is more pungent than the flavor right now with Brux. The aroma hinted at a mild vinegar and moderate sourness, I couldn't pick up anything else, while the flavor at first seemed bland but on the second sip I am able to pick up the subtle Brett funk with the light tart notes up front and the slightly sour finish. I really enjoy this now, but I know there's going to be a lot of change here up-coming. This is the first beer I want to get multiples of to age to see how it progresses.

Yes, I'm bad at describing Brett beers. It just has this mildly sweet, yet tarty/sour taste from my experiences and I really am coming to enjoy it.

I got that too. It definitely smells a lot more brett-y than the taste gives off. A couple months to a year aging this will definitely give brett yeast more flavor I feel. I think I'm going to grab another bottle and see how a year or so treats it

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Hypnolobster posted:

Sam Adams also makes quite a bit of good beer, and some real standouts that are excellent. Hell, I've met people who will absolutely refuse to drink even Sierra Nevada anything because they're just awful brewers.

I've put off trying stuff from Sierra Nevada for so long when I first got into craft. No real reason why, just didn't think they were an interesting brewery compared to DFH which has crazy beers! Boy was I wrong...

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Chicago-goons, some friends and I are heading your way the weekend of the 18th. Anyone know of any beer related events going on then? I know we are planning to hit up Half Acre and Revolution brewpub.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

air- posted:

Had a better-than-usual black and tan at the DFH Alehouse last night, made with Chicory Stout and 90 Minute. Would love any other suggestions that work out pretty well :)

Victory brewpub serves up their own concoctions, one of my favorites is their Dark Devils: 1/2 Storm King, 1/2 Hop Devil

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

mysterious frankie posted:

Tried Dale's Pale Ale this weekend and was an anticlimactic first Oskar Blues experience. It's not a bad beer, really; just nothing special and I wouldn't go looking for it if I was in the mood for a pale ale. Looks like the other available beers are Mama's Little Yella Pils, Old Chub and Deviant Dale's; which should I try next?

Deviant Dales is a bit more bold than regular Daves but watch out if you think Summit hops taste like onions

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

RiggenBlaque posted:

Does anyone know how much Heady Topper sells for? This ridiculous place near me is selling it for $25 / 4 pack or $10 per can, and I'm sure that's absolutely wrong.

I bought it for $12 from the brewery I think. Local stores had it for 12.99.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

danbanana posted:

And I get that they're not identical beers. But oatmeal stout to oatmeal stout isn't completely unreasonable.
It sort of is when one has many more ingredients and a more complex flavor profile than the other. Would you compare Victory at Sea to Edmund Fitzgerald because they are both porters?

Its all semantics in the end, style isn't everything clearly

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Weird, I'm lactose intolerant and never had any problems with it, I was just talking about that the other day to someone who asked actually.

As for Heady Topper+Hill Farmstead, am I right in assuming that Heady Topper is around $15 for a 4 pack, and each Hill Farmstead bomber will run around $15?

Heady was around $12 when I went to the Alchemist. Stores were $12.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

danbanana posted:

I've never had a bourbon barrel IPA/DIPA before. It doesn't sound... ideal. Anyone have experience?

Closest beer I've had to a BA IPA/DIPA is Southern Tier Oaked UnEarthy and it was a bit disappointing to be honest. I think the oak flavor sort of ruins the hoppy finish most IPA/DIPA are known for. I can't imagine adding in a little bourbon flavor as well