Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

The Cantillon was an AMAZING example of a lambic, but it was overshadowed by my first Orval experience coming right before it. In hindsight I should not have placed those two back to back; the Cantillon, while great, was of a style which I am familiar, while the Orval was so weird & new that I could only describe its flavor mainly with colors & geometric shapes... actually rereading that, I'm wondering if maybe the yeast was infected with something psychotropic.

That's lame. The site made it seem like you buy online, they ship to a location, you pick it up there. :( How available is Cantillon in Chicago, do you think? Do I sit on the batch I discovered, or can it be reliably found when needed?

Also had my own first good Hopleaf experience recently. Last summer I ordered a Maudite, was corrected on the pronunciation, then the server left the table, never to return. I guess I must have really shaped up since then, because they actually came to my table multiple times, took my order and brought it & everything! The rabbit was pretty serviceable and the beer list was swanky as all out. Thick like the bible. The second floor bar is pretty nice too.

To give you an idea re: Cantillon in Chicago, a store sent out an email to their list saying they got in bottles of Cantillon Grand Cru, Lou Pepe, and Rose de Gambrinus, and that this was only announced to their email list and not their website, facebook, or twitter. When I got there a couple hours later, there was only one bottle of Grand Cru and 3 bottles of Rose de Gambrinus left.

Buy out the store's stock - some other Chicagoans will be more than willing to take it off your hands :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

City Beer Store.

Go here. Seriously. Awesome regular selection, and if you're ready to throw down for something special, an extensive cellar too.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

holy gently caress am i gonna be drunk a lot...

for those who haven't had the pleasure, this is my favorite beer of all time and the ultimate example of what whiskey-barrel aging with a beer should be. it's big and boozy without being ridiculous. if getting hit by a brick can be subtle, that's what this is.

let's just hope this doesn't mean the quality suffers, though...

While not my favorite beer of all time, I had a 12oz bottle of the 2008 vintage a couple months ago and it was intense. It was amazing but it took me well over an hour to drink the whole bottle.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

To be fair, sometimes people ask for the strongest or most unusual beer without having a clue whether they even enjoy the style, and bartenders often like to give recommendations and steer people in the direction of something they'll like. The bartender may have just worded his or her question poorly. Personally, I've generally had good service at the Map Room and enjoy stopping by once in a while.

This has been my experience as well re: Map Room. I had been asked 'do you know what that is?' when I ordered a Van Hounsebrouck gueuze, but I felt like it was more like "it's kinda weird compared to everything you're probably used to drinking, are you sure you want this?"

edit:

Ubik posted:

Speaking of witbier, I made a stop at Revolution Brewery for the first time in a while yesterday, and their Bottoms-Up Wit is still one of my favorite American-made examples of the style. Creamy in body but still refreshing, with nice wheat tartness and citrus aroma. I followed it with their Poetic Justice, an English bitter made with a newer variety of hop called Sonnet. Does anybody have experience with this one? Supposedly it's a relative of the Goldings lineage, and it definitely had some nice floral, earthy English hop character to it.

Weird, I stopped in Revolution last night too. And I totally agree on the Bottom Up Wit; it's definitely my favourite of their offerings and I'll be very happy to see it come off the canning line later this year.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 18, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Wow. Just opened up one of the Backwoods Bastard I've been letting hang around since release half a year ago. Back then I really didn't like it, as the bourbon was far too strong for me. Since then, not only has it had time to rest, but I've (amazingly) developed a taste for bourbon in both beer and liquor form. So yeah. From struggling to finish the bottle to relishing every sip. There's not as much of an alcohol-y taste now, and the brown sugar sweetness has started to come to the forefront. More wood-y, too.

It's surprising just how much your palate can change over time. Makes me want to revisit some older bottles that chased me away.

This reminds me that I need to buy some Duvel again. Back around when I first turned 21 and knew exactly fuckall about beer, I bought a 4 pack of Duvel because I was amazed at its alcohol content. Of course, I hated it at the time and couldn't finish even a single bottle. Haven't drank it since, but I've been meaning to.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Oarsman is oh so good :allears: I've had saisons on my mind as the warm weather beer of choice, but I'm singing a new tune now that I have access to Bell's.

The first time I had Oarsman I was pretty disappointed in it, but then again I really didn't know anything about what it was supposed to be when I bought it. Maybe I'll get a 6 pack of Oarsman and find another berliner to compare against.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I finally got around to having their Belgian Style Yeti the other day at the taproom, loving outstanding. Regular Yeti, and especially oak aged, are bordering on too intensely bitter for me but the fruity-sweet Belgian character totally mellows it out and makes for an amazing beer.

I think Belgian is my favourite variation on it, actually. I think the chocolate oak version is supposed to drop soon, so hopefully I can complete my yeti collection.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

You'll be ok. 75 minute is really one of the best session beers out there right now. I'd drink that frequently given the opportunity.

I dunno if I'd call a 7.5% IPA a session beer, but it is very good.

quote:

Don't hate, much love for Dead Guy! :colbert:

I think you missed the discussion about their shady business practices, mostly related to how they treat their employees.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Mahoning posted:

What do you recommend by Hoppin' Frog? I recently went to a grocery store (the largest grocery store in the world, sq/ft wise) that seems to have pretty much every Hoppin' Frog offering (at least 8 to 10 if I remember correctly).

I saw that their Triple IPA is like $15.99, eff that. How are their other IPAs? Any interesting maybe more malt/hop balanced offerings?

BORIS is their best beer. I haven't had the barrel aged version, but from what I've heard in this thread it isn't worth the extra money.

edit: Denver people, are there any good bottle shops around 21st and Champa? I'm going to be in Denver on Friday and I was hoping to pick up some Colorado stuff I can't get in Chicago (Oskar Blues, Odell, etc.)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Best shop near downtown is probably Argonaut, at Colfax and Clarkson.

If you care to drive or take the light rail, you can check out Total Beverage at 92nd and Sheridan, or Lukas Liquor at County Line and Yosemite. Total Bev is about 15 minutes from downtown by car, and you can take the train 30 minutes south to the Park Meadows Mall and walk to Lukas.

Of course, if you're without a car in downtown Denver, you really needn't drive anywhere to drink great beer. I definitely recommend hitting up some of the breweries and bars near downtown. Denver's reputation as a beer mecca doesn't just come from the local breweries.

For your own good, get a burger and beers at Vine St Pub (17th and Vine).

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm probably not going to have the time to do much more than hit a bottle shop as I'm playing a music festival near the aforementioned intersection and so my time in Denver is pretty much already booked solid.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Which venue? I played out at most of the Downtown live music bars when I lived there. Downtown is pretty compact and easy to get around on foot; you can get to Argonaut and any of the bars within 20 minutes.

I'm playing http://www.denvernoisefest.com/ at Old Curtis Street. Since I'm driving from Chicago I will have a car, but space is gonna be tight so my purchases are going to be limited.

Also, is Ten Fidy findable at this time of year or is my timing wrong?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Oh yes, I have played at Curtis Street. Hope you're accustomed to a tight stage fit and minimal sound-guy services.

Ten Fidy is on shelves pretty much year round.

Sounds fine with me re: Curtis Street. My band is a duo and our setup only needs a single 1/4" into a DI.

And thanks for the happy news about Ten Fidy. Been meaning to get my hands on it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I thiiiink the Mutiny And The Mollusk is a collab between them and Half Acre... yep.

"A rich, mildly briny ale made with the meat & shells of fresh oysters, Mutiny & The Mollusk will fortify the soul against a hard life on the waves."

Oh wow, while reading that description my mouth filled with a rich, mildly briny brown substance. Anyone care to tap?

I had a bottle of this. It's pretty good, and I think it could be even better on cask. Not sure it's worth braving a Friday night at Paddy Long's though. Last time I was there for a barrel aged beer night (including variants of Bourbon County), the place was wall to wall packed.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Nothing about the description makes me think it would be good. Does it taste like salty oyster juice + alcohol?

I did a bacon tasting at Paddy Long's once and, yeah, by the end we were stacking up like cordwood. It was fun, but really packed. I was tempted to skip the movies & brave it, until I realized the beers that sounded the most interesting to me have the greatest chance of being gross.

It's like a dry stout with a nice salty brininess to it. It's something different for sure. I don't know if I'd seek it out unless you like dry stouts and oysters (together or separately) though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

312 is a good wheat. It's not a peerless example of the style, but it's so enjoyable and mild that it works pretty much whenever. Especially on a hot summer day. Used to prefer from tap at the pub, but that boat has sailed... We're all, uh, taking it in the can these days.

Dunno what's in your market, but everything they mass produce is really good and, I assume, meant to be easy going and fun to drink. Around Chicago you usually see Honkers, India Pale Ale, 312 year round. Then there's Harvest Ale, Mild Winter and Summertime, which are available based on season. Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, etc, aren't hard to find in 4 packs or 750ml bottles. I'm also seeing their Nut Brown Ale around a lot too. Anyways, everything I listed is really enjoyable and should be tried at least once.

EDIT: fixing where I pere jaqued up the spelling

Everyone seems to have a huge beer boner for Matilda (which is understandable because it is very good) but I maintain that their best year-round offering is Sofie. If it wasn't a $11 4-pack I'd drink it constantly.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Apparently Three Floyds is planning on opening a Chicago brewpub? http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...0,7354010.story

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I wish that Founder's Breakfast Stout was year round sometimes. I can't think of any other beer which I would rather have in the morning. I don't normally drink beer in the morning, but I was thinking how it would be awesome to wake up on my birthday and drink a FBS.

I need to try some more coffee stouts, but I'm not sure I'll find one that I'll love more than FBS. I've tried Espresso Yeti, Cappuccino Stout, Java Head, and Bell's Java Stout. I feel like I'm crazy for craving a Stout in warm weather.

Can you get Alesmith around you? Speedway Stout is pretty great, but it's not as coffee heavy as some of the others.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

Chicago Beer Goon checking in. I picked up a pack of Hoptimum I stumbled upon at my local Whole Foods, and was mad giddy to bring it home. I felt sorta bad when, after cracking the first one, saw a sticker marked "Save for __insertnamehere___."

Sorry Whole Foods Hoptimum buddy :( Good poo poo though.

Speaking of Chicago beer(err, getting beer in Chicago, I know Avery is not Chicago native), anyone know where I can pick up Avery's Maharajah to bring home? I've only come across it in draft form at a couple of my local spots, Northdown Cafe and Four Moons tavern. Oh and Bangers and Lace.

http://www.beermenus.com/beers/avery-maharaja should be a good starting point.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

What's a good barleywine to ease into the style with? I've had a few- one on tap from GI and a couple at festivals- and they just haven't jived with me. It's a style I'd like to explore, but I think I need to find something mild/approachable to start with.

I'm a huge fan of Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, but that's more of an English style barleywine than an American. Actually, are 'old ales' the same thing as English barleywines, or does old ale imply the presence of brett?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

escape artist posted:

This is generally the reaction I have to every Stone beer (save Self-Righteous and Arrogant Bastard), so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

Have you had their Imperial Russian Stout? It's definitely my favourite of theirs and probably among the best RISes out there.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

escape artist posted:

I've had the Belgo-Anise, which was good, but I haven't had the regular RIS.

The regular is out now and you should definitely pick up a bomber or two. I haven't had the Belgo-Anise but I've heard that reviews of that variety were extremely polar.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I think there's a bubble, if only for the fact that there are no fewer than ten upstart breweries in Chicago yet to even open. Chicago is a beer city for sure, but I can't help but think that at only one out of the ten is going to produce anything memorable.

edit: It was actually 12: http://www.redeyechicago.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/redeye-12-chicago-breweries-on-the-brink-20120425,0,4468340.photogallery

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I tried a Stone IRS the other day... and boy, it was absolutely amazing. It was sooooo smooth for a 10.5% beer, that I didn't notice the strength of it until I was finishing my first glass.

I tend to drink beer rather slowly, and enjoy the different flavors as it gets closer to room temperature, but I was having a really hard time doing that with the Stone IRS. I drank the bottle I bought entirely too fast, and was feeling the effects of it.

I look forward to purchasing another bottle soon and enjoying it slowly, rather than drinking it like liquid candy, and getting drunk like a schoolboy.

Edit: I'd also like to acknowledge that this thread seems to have much less posting in it this week, than it did two weeks ago. Could it be because summer is here? We're all too busy drinking & having fun (or working more...) to post!

Luckily for you, Stone IRS is very common :) Just to make sure though, I bought four bombers and I've got them stashed. I may have to buy a few more.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Worth it. Probably the 2nd best bourbon-aged stout on the planet.

Good to know. I've been watching Chicago stores like a hawk for when it hits.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Goose Island pretty much invented the style in the U.S. and Bourbon County Stout is still the standard, if you ask me. The only less-than-stellar variation I've had is the Bramble, but that's almost entirely a different beer than the others. Rare is probably the best beer I've ever drank. Vanilla isn't far off. And the standard version is just... amazing.

Last year, Maria's in Bridgeport, Poor Phil's in Oak Park, and Twisted Spoke (Ogden and Grand) all had it on tap. I know this because in 2 days, I had at least one at each place. I snagged a bottle somewhere along the line, thinking that it seemed pretty common. Drank it, then couldn't find it again (though a friend scored another one for me a while later). In the last year, the demand for stuff like this has shot through the roof, though, so I have a feeling it'll be a little bigger deal, kind of like BCS.

Revolution is having a guest tap takeover for FW on the 21st and while they haven't announced it, I'm pretty sure that Parabola and Sucaba are both going to be tapped. Which rules because Revolution is in stumbling distance of my apartment.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Even though I grew up an hour and change from Chicago, I had my first ever Goose Island today, Sofie.

After I drank some of it, I looked it up on RateBeer, and to be honest it really seems more like a fruited triple to me than like a saison.

Either way, it was a tasty beer, and I'm glad that Goose Island is finally available so far away.

Good pick for your first. IMO Sofie is the best of their year-rounds. Never had it aged though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

It happened, folks. His roommate killed him, drank all his top-shelf cellared brews, moved onto Limearitas, and is now posting from his account.

To that point though, my default 'it's hot as gently caress and I want alcohol in my pool' drink is sweet tea vodka + lemonade in a 32oz tumbler with crushed ice. I make no apologies, it's divine.

Honestly, I think every beer has its place, even the big macro stuff. As I tell my friends, there's a big difference between a beer geek and a beer snob - I will happily drink most macros if offered to me (the only one I refuse is straight MGD; blecch).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

My favorite too. It's super creamy and loving awesome. The fruity notes compliment the regular Yeti so well.

Absolutely agree. All of the Yeti variants are great, but the Belgian is by far my favourite.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Tapping of Saison-Brett at 5pm tonight here in Chicago. So hyped to finally try this, and straight from a Boulevard cicerone.

Will probably see you there! Got my bike fixed up and ready to roll.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jack Skeleton posted:

Indeed, Stone IRS is probably the best bang for your buck IRS. So cheap and so easy to age. I typically end up with a case or two of each year. Cracked open a 07 and 08 the other night and was in pure heaven.

I had the '07 on tap a few months ago and it was one of the best things I've ever drank.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Saison-Brett is pretty loving perfect. The keg version has pretty tame Brett, but it is an essentially perfect saison. I'm mentally comparing it to saison Dupont, but it's just a tiny bit creamier. I can't wait to hunt down bottles in a month.

It's a very good saison but I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more brett. Agree that I'm gonna need to hunt down bottles though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Did these get posted yet?

http://vimeo.com/user10854696

I don't care if they did, I'm posting it again. Because they are amazing.

It's over two months old and on the internet so I'm sure they have been.

The PtY video pretty much perfectly expressed my reaction to the first time I had Pliny the Elder.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Ditto.

Dark Horse, on the bottle, claims Double Crooked Tree "ages well." But that stuff is like 12.5%, so maybe that helps. Same with 120 (which is, what, 20%?). But in general, I agree with the sentiment that IPAs are better fresh.

The best place to age 120 is the drain in my opinion. Yuck.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

The only one of those I've heard anything good about (mostly because I've had it) is the barrel aged gonzo though I don't think it's worth the significant price premium over the regular version.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

Any Chicagoons doing stuff for CCBW? I'm not sure what I can make it to, between being broke and having a brutal week in the cellar ahead of me, but if there's anything that's reasonably priced and exceptional I'll see what I can do. It's too bad that other guys at Goose got all the slots for pouring events, but I should be able to pour at some other events in the near future. :)

I'll be at the Parabola tapping at Revolution on Monday, but my evening schedule has been changing a lot recently so I can't pin down if I'll even be able to do anything else.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So, craft beer week rules. I just came from revolution brewing in chicago where they tapped firestone parabola and 15, and I met someone there that told me about a Lagunitas gueuze (wtf?) at the map room, so I had to bike over. Worth the trip. Tastes like lil sumpin wild but funkier. Totally worth the $6 price of admission.

Edit: i'd almost describe the style as a pale gueuze. Nothing like anything I've had before.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 22, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

There is a whiskey thread. Use it.

In other news, Founders Curmudgeon's Old Ale - smells like apples, caramel, and booze. On first taste you definitely notice the alcohol, but it calms down into a nice caramel, fruit, malt sweetness that is balanced very well. I actually like the alcohol presence a lot, starts off strong but after it settles the complexity of this beer really shines. Next Old Ale I want to try is North Coast's Stock Ale. See if I can find it this weekend. Not sure I'll be able to, if not I think I'm going to be trying Prima Pils and Brooklyn Pilsner to compare - haven't had too many of that style, if any.

edit: Also had Oskar Blues Old Chub. Liked it a bit more than Innis & Gunn Scotch Ale but I can't say I'm a big fan of the style.

I was a bit disappointed in Old Curmudgeon. Not to say that it isn't a good beer, but the Better Half version is significantly better and I guess that spoiled me on it, though if you're comparing apples to apples I think Bell's Third Coast is better.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Mahoning posted:

I'm going to Michigan next month, then North Carolina in July. Can anyone throw out some good beers that are available in either state that might not be available in other places? I want to start making a list.

Not knowing where you're from, I highly recommend anything and everything Jolly Pumpkin.

edit: This is for the Michigan portion.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 23, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

High abv? Yes
Dark, thicker beers (which frequently mean the above but not always)? Yes
Anything that's already been aged before it goes into a bottle? Yes

Anything that relies on a lighter grain bill, has a sub-8ish abv (there's exceptions but I like to use that as a rule), or is a hop-forward beer above all else, should be consumed quickly.

I've also read some brewers say that they make their beer to be consumed immediately, regardless of any of the aging qualifiers. The takeaway from that is that it's likely the flavors will change over time, and it helps the drinker understand flavor evolution as a beer ages, whether they even like aged beers, or if a certain brewery's beers age well at all.

You forgot sours (or anything with brett in it that isn't hop-forward, really), though that can technically fall under anything already aged before it goes in the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I went to my local favorite craft bar and had a Bear Republic Ryvalry on tap which was decent, a prominent citrus flavor profile with mild bitterness and a banana and cloves finish, I enjoyed it but wouldn't buy it again. I then switched to $3 Left Hand Milk Stouts on nitro. The bartender said that it will stay nitro permanently, though the $3 price tag won't be permanent. This is going to call for some really drunk nights on Milk Stout before it goes back up to $6. Milk Stout is amazing by itself, but nitrod it's out of this world.

Completely agree on the nitroed Left Hand Milk Stout. It was probably my favourite milk stout in the game before nitro, but afterward it's out of this world.