Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

WHAT ABOUT TORONADO? WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON THE DIVISIVE TORONADO?

on a serious note, if you're willing to go to Berkeley, both Fieldwork and The Rare Barrel are newer than 2011 and popular, especially Fieldwork. and while we're on the topic of East Bay breweries, Almanac just opened up their brewery in Alameda a couple of months ago. I haven't been yet but it looks beautiful

also if you do end up going to SARA, keep in mind that they now also have a location in Santa Cruz. it has a kitchen and guest taps/bottles as well.

I've been to Toronado in both SF and Seattle. I'll be so close to City Beer that I'll probably have no need to visit Toronado on this run, but I may find myself in that neighborhood anyway.

I have heard good things about Rare Barrel but it isn't likely I'll be able to get out to Berkeley on this trip. Maybe a future trip.

My focus when going to SARA will probably be on picking up to-go bottles, since I will be flying solo on this trip and almost certainly won't be able to drink a whole lot at the brewery itself. Which location would be better for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I am still fully convinced that the only two glasses any beer nerd needs are a snifter/globe and an imperial pint.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Founder's is bringing back Curmudgeon's Better Half, which may be their first release in years I am actually excited about. They're even putting it into 12oz bottles this time. https://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2018/new-beer-release-curmudgeons-better-half-2/

Oh hell yes. I can't wait to age this for a couple months and have it turn into a snowglobe in the bottle. Despite its bizarre looks in the glass, awesome beer that I will be super happy to get my hands on.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

It takes a lot for me to go to a beer fest nowadays, but I got morning session tickets.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Up first: Two Brothers' totally not-good Tangent, a "dark sour beer with brett" that tasted like a lovely brown ale when released in 2013. Five years later, it tastes more like a lovely oud bruin that is almost completely flat.

This experiment has not started out well.

This beer is the worst thing I've had from Two Brothers. It was aggressively bland (if there is such a term) at release and I was hoping that time would have something develop for those who stuck themselves with one. Shame.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Apache posted:

Have any of the Chicago guys been to Eris Brewery and Cidery? It came recommended from some friends of ours. Their beer looks a bit on the stranger side, and not a huge variety of it there.

I haven't been but it's right in my neighborhood, so I should probably get there at some point.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Any Chicagoans still need a morning session Far and Away ticket and feel like buying my extra? It's yours for the face value of $80 (I'll eat the fees).

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've been largely absent from both the forums and this thread for various reasons for the past couple years, but I may jump back in on the Discord especially if this place does disappear (though I'm definitely feeling some chatroom fatigue). This thread and community has been instrumental in my beery education and I've made many good friends here, and even though I'm drinking a lot less and I stopped chasing whales years ago, I hope to reconnect a bit with some of y'all soon.

On a side note, I didn't even know that there was an exodus from TalkBeer until way after it happened as I largely only cared about the FIB thread. No idea what happened to cause it - anyone know off-hand?