Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Will probably see you there! Got my bike fixed up and ready to roll.

I'll be wearing a dark blue ballcap with a red block "C" on it (Indians).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I actually had some 2 or 3 years ago at a goon beer tasting in Chicago with a somewhat underwhelming turnout. My friend brought it with her and we foolishly opened it close to the start of the tasting. I think we ended up at two out of the many places we had ultimately planned on going. It's 18% ABV I think?

I heard some stories about this

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Saison-Brett is pretty loving perfect. The keg version has pretty tame Brett, but it is an essentially perfect saison. I'm mentally comparing it to saison Dupont, but it's just a tiny bit creamier. I can't wait to hunt down bottles in a month.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Did these get posted yet?

http://vimeo.com/user10854696

I don't care if they did, I'm posting it again. Because they are amazing.

It's over two months old and on the internet so I'm sure they have been.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Midorka posted:

Quite many based upon Dales Pale Ale's Specs: 65 IBU/6.5% ABV when looking at BCJP guidelines. It's a drat IPA to everyone but those who follows Oskar Blues style guidelines, just like Deviant Dale's is a god damned IIPA.

What IPA are you drinking?

Edit: For guidelines, an American Pale Ale isn't over 45 IBU, FYI.

I love how the newbie is quoting BJCP at a professional brewer, it's so perfect.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rarity becomes more interesting when you've more or less exhausted the supply of normal beer you have available to you. However, I will say that takes freaking forever to really do, and even then I'd rather go buy a six pack of Red Seal than try another BA stout anytime soon. But there is something to the novelty of getting to try a beer you won't be able to get again anytime soon.

Semi-rare beer chat: Last night there were two Smuttynose beers tapped at the Map Room in Chicago: Brett & I and a Belgian Imperial Stout. The Brett was fabulous, and reminded me of a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere with the brett dialed up a tiny bit and the carbonation dialed a bit down. The Stout was a mess, for me, with too much clove sweetness.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

danbanana posted:

Well, this is kind of harsh. I'm not going to go back and check all the posts in this thread about this, but if the discussion was about "a new SN brewery" or something then maybe that's how he got the impression that they were moving.

As for the "60 year old just getting into beer" comment... Everyone starts somewhere. I'll apologize for him if he wasn't born with beer knowledge when he shot out of his mom like apparently you did.

Midorka's post history essentially reads like a semi-autistic goon getting into beer and acting like he knows what he's talking about from day 1, so I know where Kosher man is coming from.

I'm particularly fond of this example that I remember because I found it so amazing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437772&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post398110974

He states that Damnation is his favorite beer of the style, most likely never having had anything else (including Duvel, which Rage-saq suggests he try).

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 23, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

cryme posted:

I grabbed a growler of Brett & I on Saturday. It's really, really good, and it was consumed quickly.

WHERE????

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

Can someone tell me which beers age well and which ones do not?

Because sometimes I am reluctant to purchase a beer because I notice it has passed its "sell by" date.

Stouts and barleywines age well, correct?

IPAs not so much?

Could you give me a brief overview of which beers age well and which do not?

This was discussed very recently, again:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=73#post403750479

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Yeah I hate that poo poo.

"Look, brewery, your beer should ONLY be made to be drank IMMEDIATELY otherwise it's BAD BEER"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deviant Dales owns, Galactic Double Daisy owns. Deviant is super dank with huge bitterness and complementary sweetness, while Galactic has a more subtle all around presentation than deviant. Both are exemplary.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

Have you tried North Coast's Pranqster or Orval's ale?

It's just called Orval.

I had a Woodcut No. 4 (which is about 2 years old at this point) and a year old or so Alesmith Horny Devil the other night at a cookout (lucky me). I thought the Horny Devil was pretty interesting, with big pear notes that stood out. The Woodcut was really great, with a nice soft body and a lot of subtleness. It reminded me what a "thoughtful" beer was like again, I suppose.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

Oh man... Amazing. :fap: Especially the Zhukov in Apple Brandy barrels

Apple Brandy Zhukov actually was terrible and overwhelmingly sticky sweet. It was basically everything I hate about beer lately.

I know I'm kind of known to be a hater, but I've honestly tried being positive about beer lately, especially in this thread. I simply think this was a terrible beer.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Yea, I have to agree. It was so sweet and the pours were way too big for that beer. Apple brandy barrels are tough, I think it's better to start with a drier beer. That Pannepot Grand Reserva 05 is an example of apple brandy done well.

The Vanilla Dark Lord was overly sweet in a great way though. Mmm marshmallows.

Yeah, Pannepot GR was fabulous.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone tell me why Sixpoint is getting so much press and seems to be EVERYWHERE lately? Do they have Sam Caligione working for them?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Boulevard's Saison Bret is back on shelves next week. Oh glorious day!

For real. I'm getting as much as possible.

I had a slightly aged (??) Alesmith Wee Heavy, and man I think I simply do not like scotch ales. Soooo sweet, and at 10% too boozy to really enjoy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ubik posted:

I've been wondering about that, considering the quality of most of ST's regular lineup. The IPA is mediocre and Phin & Matt's is actively terrible.

Phin & Matt's is so abominable I don't understand how it sells any bottles. It tastes like wood pencils.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, this Saturday in Chicago I hope a few of you (and I'll probably bug the few of you I've met fyi) will come to a bottle share. We are going to start here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barbari-cafe-chicago at 4:30pm. I imagine we'll be there for a couple of hours, after which we will be hitting some bars in the area like Happy Village, Small Bar, and where ever else we want to go. If you're gonna go, send me a PM and I can give you my phone # in case you are wanting to hit us up later in the evening. I'll probably be bringing some Jolly Pumpkin and Founders stuff though so you better come and help me drink it. :mad:

I'm the one who suggested Barbari, and it's a really great place to get grub and pop some bottles. After that we are within a half mile of a bunch of good bars. I'd suggest coming because I'll definitely bring a few awesome things to share. :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Had a Dogfish Head Festina Peche at Owen & Engine this weekend and I... liked it. Not initially, but I got there. Served cold, it just tasted like Welch's white grape juice to me. As the beer began to approach room temperature, it became much more tart and some nice, complex peach flavors started coming through. I'd say it was a good fruit drink that is also technically a beer.

I recently made the mistake of thinking that Aprihop was Festina Peche and my response was basically

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chicagoans: Saison-brett ETA is next week.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Dead Guy is a Maibock, which isn't terribly common among US breweries. But, you should be able to find some good German ones: Ayinger Maibock, Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock, Smuttynose apparently makes a maibock I've never heard of...

Go to a helping friendly liquor store and ask about their German Bocks. You may enjoy Marzen, doppelbock, and Oktoberfest, as they are all similar styles.

And since you're in PA, you can always get some Victory. I recommend the 12 pack.

I think Sierra Nevada's maibock, Glissade, is surprisingly good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

deadwing posted:

Glissade hasn't been produced for over a year, it was retired in favor of Ruthless Rye.

ffffuuuuuuuu what a terrible decision

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

caiman posted:

Uh oh, what have I done?

Start reading here:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I could say Tank 7 is one of the ten best beers made in America with a straight face. Even more so if you excluded single-day/rare releases.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Midorka posted:

I have a 4 pack of Matilda and was contemplating aging the 4, did it hold up well to that many years?

I believe rage-saq is the biggest fan of highly aged Matilda, saying it gets as good/better than Orval.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Whisker Biscuit posted:

I guess I am in the minority when I say that Parabola and Abacus > Bourbon County and King Henry. Abacus vs King Henry might be a personal preference thing, but this thread is the first time I've heard of someone liking Bourbon County more than parabola.

Many people I have talked to think Bourbon County is one of the best examples of the style, bar none.

Captain Shortbus can you make the image bigger please I can't make everything out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Just as a reminder, this is happening tomorrow:

Picking out what beers to bring. Can't decide between KBS or Better Half hmm...

Don't bring KBS I have oodles.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

DC beer goons, help me.

I'm going to dc and staying in the DuPont circle area on my honeymoon and am looking for some nice food and beer suggestions (but they don't have to be together). Metro, walking, and taxi are all available. I know of churchkey but not much else.

Galaxy Hut
The Big Hunt
Smoke and Barrel
Meridian Pint
Pizzeria Paradiso

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Sad news from Boulevard today: No Chocolate Ale this year. The last 2 years have had "off flavors" in one of the batches. (I had a "good" and a "bad" one this year. I couldn't sense any difference.
http://www.boulevard.com/chocolate-ale-2013/

"Sad" news. That stuff is terrible.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are Goose Island Juliet and Lolita supposed to be like $21? There are two 2012 bottles in a cooler at my local shop, but I'm not sure if I'm getting gouged at that price.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'll clarify my issues with it: The body is abominable; it's super lean and watery. The chocolate aspect of the beer is also apparently " we want this to taste like watery Hershey's". I had it on tap, so I will assume it was a good example of the beer vs. some kind of messed up bottle. I don't see much of a draw to a "beer" that is essentially watery chocolate-flavored liquid.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=2012-best-beers-in-america

I post this mainly because I love bitching about lists like this. My major :what:'s:

90 Minute at 3rd.
Four Sierra Nevadas in the top 12, including the wildly mediocre Ruthless Rye.
Fat Tire anywhere in the top 50, let alone 20th.
Generally ludicrous amounts of IPAs in the top of the list, with the first porter showing up at 21.
Hilariously bad representation from absolutely phenomenal breweries like Victory, North Coast, Great Lakes, etc.

I could go on, but why bother.

And just to back up my bitching with my own list of 25 perfect US beers and some perfect imports. No real order.

http://pastebin.com/0V6iQnHT

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 27, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

cryme posted:

I agreed with you until I got here. Prima, Rasputin, Edmund are all among those breweries' best beers. Unless you meant they should have all been ranked higher?

And more of them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I can't stand Dancing Man. I find it overwhelmingly sweet, even for the style. I guess if you like REALLY CLOVEY hefe's...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Hell, we could even meet at Jolly Pumpkin for food and beer first

This is what you all want to do, trust me on that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

After two trips to Wisconsin where I've gone to bars with huge tap lists and tried a few flights of all Wisconsin-based small breweries, I can say that I think Wisconsin beer has to be some of the worst I've had yet.

Recent beers I've had from WI breweries include:
Milwaukee Brewing O-Gii
O'so Spike's Maple Ale
Black Husky Sproose Joose
Lake Louie Dino's Dark
Furthermore Knot Stock
Geneva Lake No Wake
Tyranena Scurvy
Lakefront IPA

Every one besides the Scurvy and Lakefront was average to outright bad, with those two beers being decent enough. I've had some Ale Asylum stuff and Central Waters stuff as well, and it's meh nearly across the board. The only brewery that I think makes dang good beer most of the time is New Glarus.

Wisconsin natives, defend yourselves, because I'm seriously disappointed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

broom posted:

Ale Asylum Bedlam (my go to these days)

Bedlam is actually one of the decent belgipa's out there.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's loving JULY jesus christ stop talking about pumpkin beer. We went through this last year, and maybe the year before if I was talking in the beer thread then.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's so hot and awful out that all I want to drink is PBR and Bud Light Lime. I poo poo you not. Blime is fabulous: 4% beer soda that never dehydrates you the way Miller Lite and Budweiser seem to. I drank it for 24 hours straight at my buddy's lake house the other weekend and was never dehydrated OR drunk, so I consider that a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Corbet posted:

Be like me and call every Friday and ask them what 750ml beers they have available. In fact, call every Tuesday and let me know what they say and I'll let you know what they say.

(I just really want Bourbon Cherry Stout. Bourbon 9000 would be equally as awesome though)

Or be a normal functioning human instead who doesn't base his or her weekly schedule around beer