Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

something my girlfriend was drinking the other day smelled remarkably like cat piss, but i didn't say anything because she was enjoying it. can't remember what it was; i wasn't interested in drinking it, myself.

I had a beer once that smelled like dog biscuits, so that's certainly not out of the question. Also, never buy this poo poo. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

You do realize stating your opinion as a fact makes you look like an elitist jerk don't you? If you don't like being called out on it, don't be a complete elitist jerk next time. It seems you're smart enough to accept that people can have differing opinions, how about acting like it.

Just for clarification, could you quote that bit where he stated his opinion as fact? Try as I might, I couldn't find any evidence of him doing so.

Anyways, I'd never had a Flying Dog beer before trying out Raging Bitch tonight. To be honest I've avoided them based on the art; however, after tonight I'm a bit more partial towards trying them. Definitely a case of shooting myself in the foot based purely on label aesthetics. Any other must-haves from them, or did I just manage to grab the best one?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

CalvinDooglas posted:

Uinta also makes an annual barleywine that kinda sits on the shelves, so it'd be good one if you want a "pre-aged" beer.

I find this happens with their Labyrinth, too. What gives? They're both pretty awesome.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Well, I'm going going on vacation, folks. To Ocean City, MD. Don't ask.

Anyways, do any of you folks know any good destinations nearby, whether it's a bottle shop or bar? I'm already set on hitting up the Dogfish Head brewpub, but I've only found one bar that had a near decent selection and your general DFH brews sold everywhere.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 10, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Remember how I wasn't expecting to find good beer here? Last night we made a quick beer run, as one of my friends hadn't brought any for the first night. Lo and loving behold, La Folie in the cooler! Probably got ripped off hardcore ($18 seems like a lot) but I split the cost with a friend of mine so it wasn't so bad. Glad I did, though. Fan-loving-tastic, although I can't see myself drinking an entire bomber at once. And for the high price I doubt I will be picking up another bottle, but I'm very happy I got to give it a shot.

We're also right next to a bar that has Nugget Nectar and Matilda on tap for $4.20 a pint, and some amazing burgers to boot. Not bad, OC. Not bad at all.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

Liquid Assets on 94th is a great meal. Not a huge bottle selection, but some decent stuff and the food's fantastic, about one of the best-quality restaurants you'll find down there. It's also a liquor store, so you can get any of the beers in the cooler even if it's not actually listed on the restaurant menu.

Holy gently caress. Thank you so much for this recommendation. Not only was the food fantastic (best we've had all week) but the bottle selection is pretty amazing. La Folie is $11 here, and there's a bunch of Sucaba/Abacus just sitting around and waiting to be bought. The lack of taps disappointed me at first, but they let you pick any "big beer" out of the cooler for $12 is crazy as hell. A 750 of Duchess de Bourgogne with dinner for $12? Wow.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
What a day for beer! Went to the Dogfish Head brewpub today. Between my friends and I, we had a 2009 Old School and almost all of their currently offered pub-only offerings.

Dirty Fermentini: Never had a beer with olive notes in it before. I'm not a huge fan of dirty martinis, so the aftertaste wasn't so great for me. A lot saltier than I would expect in a beer.

Black Lodge: A bit mis-marketed, I think. It's extremely roasty, which ends up dominating any other flavors. Certainly didn't taste like cherry.

Bricolage: At this point my tastebuds were a bit worn out so I can't weigh in that much on it. The pepper was really awesome, as it just introduced a lingering warmth that helped round out the other spices. Worth trying a sample, but not necessarily something I'd bite at the bit to get bottled.

El Diablo Verde: Holy poo poo. This was surprisingly good. Even though I'm a huge hot sauce enthusiast, I generally don't like spicy beers. They usually end up unbalanced and a bit gimmicky. El Diablo is a pretty stand-out exception to this, and I am really sad this doesn't see bottling. Definitely worth a shot if you can get it.

Given access to DFH's taps, I at long last lived the dream. I got a Heaven and Hell: a black and tan with 120 minute and World Wide Stout. Had it in a sample glass 'cus I wasn't sure if I'd like it.

Most of the time I find myself hating black and tans. The beers are usually different enough that it just feels like drinking two separate beers with a sort of grey area in between that's unenjoyable. 120 minute works really well, since it wasn't very hop-forward and meshed well with the alcohol burn of the World Wide Stout. The stout's roast flavors actually transitioned well into the sweet-and-boozy 120, which I didn't expect. Although I can't really get behind it enough to recommend that everyone should drop $20 on two bottles and do it themselves, it's certainly worth a shot if you enjoy both brews. Especially if you can get them on tap.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

- Split a Churchill's Finest Hour while sitting next to a table with no fewer than three screaming toddlers.

Fitting, as I personally agree with Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman that all babies look like Winston Churchill to some degree.

On my way back to VA, I hit up Specific Gravity in Salisbury, MD on a goon recommendation. The pizza was spot on and I wish I could go back, but the bottle selection wasn't comparable to the places I went in Ocean City. Did find a bottle of Flying Mouflan, so it certainly wasn't a waste.

So, if you folks are ever going to Ocean City, keep these in mind:

Liquid Assets: Amazing food and bottle selection. If you go nowhere else, go here. Nice atmosphere, with a bar in the middle of the bottle shop and couches for you to lounge around on. Best prices on bottles I could find, to boot.
Pickle's Pub: A few good taps at reasonable prices ($4.20 for pint of Nugget Nectar or Matilda? Yes please) and some nice burgers. The moonshine shooters are way too weak to be called that, though. Also be prepared for washed-up DJ's spinning Jimmy Buffet.
Pizza Tugo's Taphouse: Hey I heard you like Dogfish Head. Great calzones, but I had some really terrible service.
Dogfish Head Pub: Is this in Ocean City? No, it's 45 minutes away. Should you go? Yes. Wednesdays they tap stuff they've been sitting on for a few years, and their food was surprisingly good. I need to know how to make their pizza crust. It's like an orgasmic cracker, and they make it with brewery byproducts. I didn't get to try their vodka, but they do serve it there.
Burley Oak Brewing: Nice startup brewery that has a lot of solid offerings. Their APA and IPA in particular are fantastic, along with a 9 Malt Ale that I wish I could've gotten in bottles. Cheap sample flights and pints.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

internet celebrity posted:

I'm drinking a 2007 Brooklyn Monster Ale and there are a bunch of black flecks in my glass. Any idea what they could be?

Pepper flakes.

I kid, that's probably just sediment. I had an '08 Monster with some junk in the bottom not too long ago. Probably just tends to settle a lot.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Why did it take me so long to try a Gub'na? This poo poo is tasty, and is only the second Oskar Blues offering I've had. Gonna have to track down a six relatively soon.

Speaking of canned beers, I tried a Resin the other day. It's like the McDonald's Sweet Tea of IPAs. If they toned down the sweetness to a more honey-like taste I'd be all over it, but as is it's a mess. On the brighter side, I had a Great Divide Hibernation just after that. What the gently caress. I've had some malty beers, but this one was absolutely dominated by malt. Really wish I could get some around where I live, 'cus I could see myself drinking that on a regular basis.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

When was it canned? The first run of Resin was really sweet and sticky, but the second run is a lot more balanced and has a lot of hop presence. I enjoyed both a lot though.

Sounds like it might be the first, but the can is long gone so I have no idea. I was very surprised how much beer came out of that tiny little can, though. It's like magic!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Thanks to the awesome gentlegoon funkybottoms, this happened tonight:

Not pictured: this thing is both capped and corked. What the hell?

Wow. This was on point. Quite a sour first sip, I must say. Wasn't expecting that intensity, but I was very pleased with it. Faded a bit after that, and I started really appreciating how light it was. Most of my sour experience has been with Flanders Red and Browns, so this was a really nice change of pace. This was admittedly my first lambic I've had more than just a sip of, so I expected it to be almost cloyingly sweet. To my relief, it proved to be otherwise.

As the carbonation died down and it warmed a little more (served a little below cellar temp) I started picking up a bit more wood-y flavor on the back end. Also unexpected. And apples? Lemon pucker? I was practically scuba diving in the tulip trying to parse it out.

I'm glad to say that this absolutely lives up to the hype. Really a shame I can't get it around here, but I'm so glad I got to try it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

CalvinDooglas posted:

You want a really good deal on quality, abv, and price - Oskar Blues Old Chub, LongTrail Double Bag, Victory Helios

I can second the Helios. It's truly dirt cheap for what it is, and is my go-to when I want something nice but don't feel like paying for it. Golden Monkey used to be a lot cheaper, at least where I am. $6-ish for a 750 was a deal I found hard to pass up.

Also pretty much anything by Lagunitas in a 750 is a steal.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

A friend who isn't into craft beers bought me a Magic Hat 12 pack to welcome me to my new place, I accepted even though they're poo poo. Their Vinyl, an amber lager of sorts, actually wound up being excellent for the wings we were eating. It curbed the spice a lot and was easy drinking. It was poo poo by itself, but it definitely worked well with wings.

Ehh, I wouldn't say Magic Hat is poo poo. It's definitely a macro, but even their #9 is a step above most beers you can find at a gas station. Their seasonals are quite a bit more palatable than their flagship, too.

Edit: Also, I just cracked an Alpine Spring. Tastes a little skunky on the back end. Was this just mishandled at some point, or is this just kinda trashy?

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 27, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Had Sculpin on tap tonight, and while it's a decent beer, I'm a bit confused why everyone's freaking out over it. Seems like another case of Oberon to me.

Also, I'll hop on the Golden Monkey train too. I'd had it quite a few times as just a plain budget beer during my early craft beer days, but a month ago I randomly bought a six at a grocery store and tried it again. Either my palate developed substantially or they changed their formula over the past year or two. I honestly didn't remember it tasting like it does. Not one bit.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Wow. Just opened up one of the Backwoods Bastard I've been letting hang around since release half a year ago. Back then I really didn't like it, as the bourbon was far too strong for me. Since then, not only has it had time to rest, but I've (amazingly) developed a taste for bourbon in both beer and liquor form. So yeah. From struggling to finish the bottle to relishing every sip. There's not as much of an alcohol-y taste now, and the brown sugar sweetness has started to come to the forefront. More wood-y, too.

It's surprising just how much your palate can change over time. Makes me want to revisit some older bottles that chased me away.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
To any VA folks who might be less well-informed than I am: Old Curmudgeon is out and about. Picked myself up a 4-pack since I've never had it. Can't wait to try one.

Also, I tried out a beer on tap the other night called "BBBadass" but for the life of me I can't find it on the internet anywhere. I think it was a black belgian of some sort. Really smokey and not at all what I was expecting.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Thanks to funkybottoms, I got my hands on some assorted goods from out of state. Tonight I'm having Dortmunder Gold, and holy gently caress am I jealous of anyone with ready access to this beer. This packs more taste than any lager I've had to date. The bitterness and malts work surprisingly well together, and the slight sulfur taste actually contributes to the flavor profile instead of dragging it down. I would session the hell out of this beer if I could. Very impressive, and I can't wait to dig into the other Great Lakes bottles sitting in my fridge.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Kudosx posted:

What other GLBC did you get? I feel like I should like GLBC's beer more, considering I live within an hour from them.

Burning River Pale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, and Eliot Ness. Also, never take nearby breweries for granted. For a long time I completely ignored Legend even though it's like 45 minutes from my house. Granted, I still mostly do, but now I always make sure to get some of their higher gravity winter releases as they tend to do those well. Also their ESB is one of my inexplicable guilty pleasures. The time I got 3 6-packs from Fresh Market for $2 each at the end of the season... :fap:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

Also, what happened to my best friend ShaneB?

That whole roommate situation must've panned out. :tinfoil:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I'm pretty sure a 12 of Torpedo is one of the best (relatively) cheap beer purchases I've made. I've been abstaining from Sierra Nevada for some time based on a few bad experiences, but trying Ruthless Rye and my recent run-in with Bigfoot made me reconsider. Anything else by them I should be looking out for?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

dumptruckzzz posted:

What bad experiences have you had? Really the only SN beers I don't like are Kellerweis and Summerfest, the rest I'd gladly drink. And those two I'd drink above a lot of other stuff.

I had a Pale at a local bar that tasted pretty odd a few years ago, their Brown which I wasn't a huge fan of, and (funny you should mention that) a Summerfest that a buddy had in his fridge for some time. Knowing what I do now about that bar, they probably hadn't cleaned their taps in quite some time. Or ever, really, as it's a bit of a shithole. As for the brown, no idea. Might have to see if that redeems itself on another tasting, as my palate has changed a lot. I know I absolutely hated Expedition Stout the first time I had it, and now I'm a huge fan.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress. So I ended up going to the inaugural RVA Beer Fest in Richmond, VA, a two day event. Today the entrance fee was $5, or if you elected to earlier, you could receive a VIP ticket for $25. This came with two tickets for eight ounce pours and five samples, along with access to several special taps in an upstairs art gallery. Yet they neglected to stipulate something very important: as long as you had a VIP arm-band, those upstairs taps were free. Of course, my plans changed dramatically once I found this out, so I'll try my best to recount my experience with the different tap selections. As you might imagine, it's a bit hazy.

Stillwater Premium: Interesting use of brett here. Tasted strongly of grapefruit with the brett bringing up the back end to round it out. Nice and tart, but not extremely so. A really pleasant beer, and a sign that I should be drinking more from this brewery.

Troegs Mad Elf: Ehhh, I wasn't too sold on this. An interesting pour, but the level of syrupy-sweetness and some odd tastes (almost brett-like at times?) made me glad I only tried a sip from a friend.

Avery Mephistopholes: The first beer I went for, and definitely my favorite. What a kick in the pants! The high ABV really sneaks up on you, as it's well hidden somewhere beneath all the roast and chocolate malts. Viscous and delicious, and I'll probably end up tracking down a few bottles to cellar now that I've had a taste.

Founders Curmudgeon Kaiser: What the hell? This was a really odd bird. Reminded me of red pudding, oddly enough. A solid permutation on a solid beer, though, so I'm quite glad I tried it out.

Cuvee de Jacobins: As usual, a really potent Flemish red almost to the point of vinegary-ness. Yet it successfully holds itself in check. If you love sours and you haven't had this, something's wrong with you.

2010 J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Port: A two-year-old barleywine aged in a port barrel. What. The. Hell. This was a really interesting brew, as I've never tasted anything aged in a port barrel before. There was a really sharp up-front sweetness that threatened to overwhelm the taste buds, but it eased off into a very odd flavor best described as a really good ham sandwich. Really glad I got the chance to try this, though I did have to struggle a bit to finish it off.

After this gauntlet, my friends and I went downstairs to try out some of the other offerings:

Legend Imperial Stout: I'd been looking forward to trying this for some time, and it didn't disappoint. Nice and roasty with a full body that definitely kept me sipping. Although it's not a revelatory exemplar of the style, it's well worth the price of entry.

Starr Hill Trippel: I only include this as I have a long-standing grudge against this brewery for its generally subpar offerings. This was, well, not terrible. Not great, either. Had a slight dog biscuit aftertaste on the nose, but I could bring myself to finish the sample. Who knows, maybe they've got some good beers on the horizon hahaha who the hell am I kidding this was awful poo poo

DFH My Antonia: It was about time I tried this out. I had no idea this was a pilsner, or expected that it would be this bright and flavorful. Well, color me impressed. A really well-balanced offering from a brewery that usually goes for extremes.

Sam Adams Dark Depths Baltic IPA: A nice, roasty IPA. Not much else I can say, as it wasn't a stand-out beer. Worth a shot, though!

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum: Missed out on this. Yeah, that sucked. The Bigfoot was really great on tap, though. Glad I got to give that a shot.

There were several others I got to try, but my memory isn't quite so reliable at that point. Either way, this is a festival to watch out for in the coming years, as it only promises to get better and better.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 6, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

air- posted:

Did I read that right: you drank the samples in conjunction with those special tap beers you listed out for $25? That's a pretty drat good value. I was pondering going out for one of these festivals, but I figure I'd save money for events coming up around SAVOR or craft beer week time.

Yep, two full pours and five samples of outside beers. Those first beers I listed we had unlimited access to. All for $25. I remember finishing off a full cup of Legend IS, and then next thing I knew I was back at my friend's apartment with takeout food several hours later.

I do remember going into The Hoppy Dog, a bottle shop that'd only opened up 6 months ago. Really nice place, and they had some Palate Wrecker that I'll probably go back for. Also one of the few places you can get Sausageworks, a local craft sausage establishment.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

RiggenBlaque posted:

I also need to buy 4 cases of beer for my rehearsal dinner, does anyone have suggestions for beers on the east coast? I'm thinking at least a case or two of Victory Whirlwind because that is such a fantastic beer perfectly suited for warm weather, and maybe a case of noble pils or something (I'd buy Prima Pils, but I need something a little more accessible).

Brooklyn Lager might be worth a shot if you can find it. Sam Adams stuff also tends to be very accessible, so I'll second the Noble Pils.

Having some Yuengling around for the least adventurous folks may be a good idea, but you risk having to get rid of the rest of it if people get adventurous.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Edit: Hahaha, that makes three of us.

funkybottoms posted:

the scene here is kinda weak this year, but i'm looking forward to Thursday, when Mekong will be tapping at least nine or ten kegs from 2009 (FBS, Expedition Stout, DFH Fort, Smuttynose barleywine, Curieux, Yeti, etc). gonna show up early to see if i can get another five-for-one deal.

Holy poo poo, my plans for Thursday just cleared up real fast.

Unrelated, but I popped my Rodenbach Grand Cru in honor of this morning's auspicious DDOS on a certain software company's servers. Probably should've read the label first, as I wasn't expecting what I got. A pleasant surprise, for sure, but also completely palate-destroying to work through on your own. Maybe it's just the specimens that I've had before, but I was expecting a Grand Cru to have some pronounced brett. This was more like just a Flemish red or brown which (reading it after I popped the cork, of course) is apparently the case. Really nice lingering sourness, though the sweetness was a bit cloying to finish an entire 750. Glad I had it, though, and I'd gladly have it again. Just in smaller quantities, of course.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Stone IRS. :pcgaming:

I need more of this.

Edit: Oh, that's embarrassing. Here's some content: The 5-year-old bottle of Olde School Barleywine I had the other day was a bit of a mess. Not terrible by any means, but on a spectrum of fresh to five, I'd say two or three year was probably the best. But even at its best, Olde School gets beaten out by a good few others that put balance above bombiness. Makes me really glad I picked up a six of Old Horizontal to weather out the next year without it, and a 6 of Bigfoot. And a vertical 4pack of Monster Ale. And 5 bombers of various others.

:psyduck: Why the hell do I have so many barleywines?

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 16, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

three years does not make DFH Fort any easier to drink. god, that is a gross loving beer. interestingly, though, a three year old keg of Chocolate Yeti has more hop and chili kick than the year old bottle i drank a few months ago- would this be a result of the kegs being stored at really low temperatures?

Also went to this event, although after funkybottoms was gone. I actually didn't mind the Fort quite as much--not something I'd buy a bomber of, but not a bad dessert beer to sip on for awhile. Kinda wished I'd gone for the Old Rasputin run through a randall of chilis, vanilla, and some other stuff just to have it.

2009 Expedition Stout is still plenty bitter even after three years of age. Bell's must use some kind of super hops or something. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. Meshes will with the rest of the beer, and I actually picked up a slight, peppery burn in the back of my throat after the first few sips were down. Very odd.

My real lesson learned, though, is that I need to get some bottles of Hardywood's Bourbon Cru as soon as possible. poo poo is divine, especially for a first run.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I had Nøgne ø's #100 Barleywine last night, and I'm seeing a trend here with the other strong ale I've had from them (their winter ale): they taste almost watery. Perhaps it's just the batches I got, but I wasn't all that impressed.

That said, while it's not incredibly related, I also drank vodka from a crystal skull last night. Hate vodka, love skulls. Once it's finished I'll probably use it as a decanter for other liquor, or perhaps cut and sand the top off to make a bitchin' goblet.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Flying Mouflan happened to me last night. Fantastic barleywine, but tonight I'm working on an Old Dominion Millenium that isn't treating me so well. When it's cold it's not so bad--you can really taste the honey and some of the more caramel-y notes on the back end. But when it starts to warm it goes downhill quite rapidly as the booze gains a foothold and masks all the other flavors. Kinda tempted to throw it back in the fridge, and I'm half-tempted to get a few so I can throw them in my cellar and see if they improve. Seems like it could go either way.

In other news, as a (very late) celebration of SB 604 being signed into law, our local beer culture's frontman An Mekong did a review of Hardywood Park's Bourbon Cru. Great news for Virginians, as the bill allowed breweries to sell by the pint, and the Bourbon Cru is a fantastic loving beer. An is a ridiculous character, too, which makes the whole thing that much better.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

DC/NOVA goons, if you had been thinking about visiting Richmond, the 28th might be a good day, as Mekong is celebrating another anniversary:
:stare: What the gently caress, An. Might be a good chance for me to get in on this beer club action. I'll be hitting that '06 Bon Chien like it's my last day on earth. And in other local news, Cap Ale Midlo still has Vampire Slayer on tap as of last night. I'm not sure how heavy the growler-fill day discount is but it's quite tempting to get a fill and drink like a king for a week. That's one hell of a stout.

I need to give 2XIPA another shot as I've only had it on the tail end of a pint of Firestone Walker Double Jack. Not exactly a fair fight, and I ended up shouldering through instead of savoring it. Southern Tier is on my bad side right now, as I've really moved away from overly sweet beers. It'd be nice to redeem them at least a bit.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 5, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I had the Maple Porter the other night and was hoping for a bit more, but that was on the tail end of a heavy stout. Porters in general seem to a be a bit hit-and-miss with me, as I'm pretty used to getting a more full body with those types of flavors.

So does that make me Southern France? Mussolini?

Edit: For more content, I got curious and checked eBay for auctions of Hardywood Park's Gingerbread stout. Not a single completed or in-progress auction. This saddens me, as I'd really like to know the value of what I'm sitting on. My cellar peen needs stroking.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 5, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Just realized I'm up in McLean visiting my brother while SAVOR is going on in DC just a stone's throw away. Tickets not only went on sale in April, they're also $120. gently caress me, that pisses me off. :smith:

Seeing as how I'm here, though, anyone know of any good drink spots/bottle shops in the DC/Tyson's Corner area I should hit up? With the event going on I'd rather hit the shops up sooner than later since the deluge of beer geeks will probably strip them of anything interesting, and I'm sure local bars will be running specials or something.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

You're not good with math. Regardless Philly started it all.

First /= best. That's like saying Budweiser beats out Victory because they started brewing a pils first, or pulling reg-date in an argument. This isn't to say that Philadelphia doesn't have a very active scene, but when the festival started has nothing to do with where they are now. And there were beer festivals long before beer week anyways, so it's a bit moot.

Also, this pedantry and personal attack-making from everyone is kinda poisonous to the thread, just like Soju was detrimental to my night of fantastic beer in NOVA. The karaoke didn't help much either. I need to grill some of my buddies and find out what stout I had. It was crazy good and I'd never heard of the brewery before. By the way, what would you pair with 3 AM Jumbo Slice? I was thinking a nice west coast Pale, but I was convinced by someone far more knowledgeable than I that the correct accompaniment is Tecate through a straw. Thoughts?

Edit: Goat something? It was an imperial with just the right spiciness on the back. Phenomenal stuff.
Editedit: The Tecate has to be from a tallboy for the optimal ratio. Plus it's loving Tecate.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 11, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I tried out RJ Rockers Black Perle the other night. This is the first black IPA to impress me, as I've usually found the style a bit of a muted compromise. It was like drinking a really nice porter with all the usual fixings, but with the addition of some initially intrusive hops. The balance improves a lot once it warms, though, so I'd recommend serving it more like a porter than an IPA. What really jumped out at me was that it felt and tasted like I was having a light-bodied 5% porter with some hops added in. It's a good thing they don't sell this in sixes--I could see myself plowing through several pretty quick. But it's 9.5%. Ouch.

Was it worth the $9 I paid for a bomber? For a redemption of the style, it was a nice one time thing. It's a well put-together beer that drinks well. If it were cheaper and more readily available, though, this'd earn a venerated spot in my fridge. As is, there are better options at that price point.

Edit: Oh, and I found out the hard way that Deviant Dale's cans are the exact same dimensions of Monster Energy Drinks. Oops.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 18, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Anyone have any experience with Blue Mountain? I picked up a Mandolin and a Dark Hollow since they were just shipped in today, but I see the ratings are kind of all over the place on ratebeer. Hope I didn't pick up a clunker, but even if I did, it led to a discovery that may be relevant (or already known) to other Richmond area goons--Total Wine Midlo has a surprising stock of Goose Island Sofie, Matilda, Pere Jacques, and Pepe Noir. I'm proud to say that I came out with my new friend Pere. :woop: According to the cashier, this has only been the case for the past three weeks or so. Is this likely to continue? I might have to scramble for more disposable income to stock up if it's not the case.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

all of the GI stuff is pretty easy to find, so i don't think you need to stock up on it just yet. Dark Hollow is loving good, so i'm gonna buy extras. i know they just opened up the new barrel house, so hopefully that stuff will get regular distribution here, but considering none of that particular line made it the hour and a half to Richmond until now, i'm worried there might be a contraction as they figure out their new demand/production ratio. Joe's Inn tapped the line today and Mekong is tapping it tomorrow.

In that case I may drop by tomorrow to pick up an extra and grab the Isabel that's coming in. A bourbon-barrel cocoa orange porter sounds like something I need to experience, and this looks to be the first bottling, to boot.

Glad to hear Goose Island is becoming a mainstay as Pere Jacques is treating me pretty well at the moment, and my experiences with Sofie and Matilda (the latter on $3 drafts :wtc:) point towards GI brews being a regular thing. Now I just need to try out Pepe Nero for the full Belgian exposure.

Edit: VV If they don't have like 30 instances of subtle wordplay on the bottles for that I'll be incredibly disappointed.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 19, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Vertigo posted:

I know Goose Island is kind of a weird thing right now, with their new ownership.

I'm able to get their stuff in PA now, which makes me happy. I grabbed a 4 pack of Sofie tonight, and I'm very happy with it. They also have Jacques and Nero... opinions?

I also managed to snag a bottle of DFH Positive Contact, which I'm pretty excited to try.

Jacques is pretty solid and definitely worth picking up. Nero didn't impress me, though I had to drink it straight from the bottle so that might've dampened it a bit.

I'm finding myself getting burnt out on chasing whales, so cutting myself off from bomber purchases for awhile seems like a good idea. This also gives me a good chance to get sixes of stuff from some of my favorite breweries that I've yet to try before. Having loved every Crooked line beer I've laid hands on, does Uinta put out solid stuff in their sixes, too? Apparently the just started distributing here.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Eejit posted:

Worse than pumpkin beerchat is shower beer talk. Swear to god I have time to follow maybe 10 threads at most on all of SA and easily 6-7 of those have devolved into talking about shower beer at some point.

:colbert: Having a Berliner Weisse with your post-workout shower should be talked about.

Uinta's Dubhe Black IPA is fantastic, by the way, and has a gorgeous bottle/label design:

I'm usually not one to collect bottles (unless I'm brewing) but I'm almost compelled to keep one of these around just to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

wattershed posted:

Most importantly though, while you might find a brewery which makes *a* better IPA (RR, Hill Farmstead), as a stable of beers nobody makes a whole line of IPAs in the world better than Alpine.

I can attest to this, as I got a lineup of pretty much every IPA they make in a trade awhile back. Not a bad or mediocre one in the bunch, as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame I can't get them out here. :sigh:

Anyone else doing anything interesting July 4th? I'm hitting up a nice, big celebration put on by Hardywood Park that debuts their 3.7% Special Bitter. Also ginger-lemonade/singel shandy and Bourbon Cru Mint Juleps 'til I die.