Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I too am in Taipei next weekend for a bit~. Also likely to be popping by semi-regularly from now on, we'll see.

Is there someone that I can add who can put me on the LINE group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

nickmeister posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. I have discovered that it is possible, though it is limited to 20 hours maximum. While I agree studying and working in a foreign country will be a challenge, it will be a necessity I think, eventually. I got a scholarship that covers tuition for a year, but things like rent and food will eventually need to be paid for (I've saved about 4k USD).

I can't say poo poo for Taiwan, but I did something similar to you in Japan, and just lived cheap while working at a restaurant. It may or may not be possible to do there, but if you can move away from using English if at all possible and really immerse yourself it's definitely worth more than going half a year with minimal spending money.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Thought I heard someone mention a while back that there was a nice craft beer place or pub of some kind in Kaohsiung, but I can't find the post; could someone remind me? Or alternatively tell me if I'm hallucinating and there are no such good places in Kaohsiung.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Hey belated thanks; went to Zhangmen last night, was nice. I was surprised that there were no other foreign types there!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

thegoat posted:

Foreigners in Kaohsiung(Taiwan?) are mostly really cheap. They don't enjoy spending 260NT for a delicious beer and would rather spend 169NT for a six pack of BAR and drink it outside.

Yeah that's what I figured.

Nah this is in no way true in Tokyo and HK I can say from personal experience, and presumably also Shanghai etc. Tokyo craft beer places are frequented even by English teachers who probably shouldn't be spending that much, and then you get the executives on expat packages making USD six figures and not paying for rent, who could care less about a few extra bucks a pint.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The heavy metals content of Taiwanese beer is probably fairly nominal though, which helps

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Arguably there's more room and opportunities to move into a better career in Japan, if that's what you're looking for.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cthulhu-riffic posted:

Regarding Japan, I don't know of many people that have been able to stick it out there long term because anti-foreigner sentiments are pretty rampant. Would be interested in hearing otherwise, though, and about potential career paths.

Utter horseshit. There's some typical ignorance you get from people who have literally never left the country but very very little in the way of outright anti-foreigner sentiment.

Usually the complaints you hear are just English teachers who cycle in for a year or two complaining about not suddenly being best buds with their co-workers; which is hardly a surprise considering there's often a language barrier, and people have their own lives, which they don't want to commit to building a relationship with someone they know will be gone soon.

This combined with the fact that Japan is still an economic powerhouse and first world country. People don't need your money, and don't need to worship at the feet of white people. Dumbasses come here from abroad and see it doesn't match with the mystical oriental fantasy land they thought, and act like pissy children.

Any town in Japan is no more anti-foreigner than any similarly sized town in North America or Europe would be to any non-majority person.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Hey man when are you moving out to Singapore?

Good post by the way but it's not always English teachers. Just migrant life.

Nothing is confirmed and it's like a year out if I do.

And yeah, hence I say "usually".

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Unreasonably and outlandishly so, then?

Indeed; the point being you should expect no better where you go unless you expect people to worship the very ground you tread upon, given your whiteness. In which case gently caress you.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Anyone have inroads for finance industry recruiters? Not looking to move for maybe a couple of years but I figure it might be worth it to look around early in case something really good shows in the meantime.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Gatdamn those are some dogshit salaries

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
My firms Taipei office is super small though. Gonna have to drop by at some point and get some face recognition though.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

On the topic of "foreigners complaining about Taiwan", once I moved to Bangkok all of those gripes really were put into perspective. Taiwan certainly isn't perfect and venting from time to time is healthy, but by god nothing I saw in my time in Taiwan has come close at all to the insanity that is Southeast Asia.

I have like a mental tier system for expat complaints versus niceness of environs which is generally as below, go up a tier if you make decent money (say like 60-70k USD per adult in the household, unless burdened by large debt for school etc, though obviously actual purchasing power varies greatly). Go down a tier if you're stuck low-end English teaching drudgery.

S
-

A
Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong

B
Korea, China - Major cities

C
China - Minor cities, SEA - Major cities

D
China - Bumfuq, India

Anyone complaining about living somewhere S or A or circumstantially B has drat little to complain about. I've had guys I know who are single and make 300k+ USD living in swank parts of Tokyo complain about their life and I nod along, hell sometimes the complaints are specific and legitimate and being wealth doesn't shield you from everything in life, but sometimes I can't help but think suuuuck a diiiick you're living the dream.

I know this wasn't directed at me but thanks for the perspective as I've heard more negative than anything else about Taiwan life and corporate culture in general, both in this thread and elsewhere. My gf is a doctor in Taiwan and because of how medical licensing works its waaaay easier for me to go to her than the other way around if we get married, but I've been worried not just about getting a job there but the culture and having a social life; very nice to hear of someone that's having a good time and comparing it positively with other places in the region.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Well Japan is now S because you just left :downsrim:

S
-

A
Japan, Taiwan, Singapore

B
Korea, China - Major cities

C
China - Minor cities, SEA - Major cities

D
China - Bumfuq, India

E
Hong Kong - Part of Communist China for 5000 years

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Re: Atlas and Duckfarts

Fortunately for me I've always been at an American firm in Japan and now Singapore which has been pretty good for me, and I actually enjoy the version of corporate life I've been living. I may need to see if I can move away from my industry however, towards something that is more flexible.

I think finding good full-time employment in Taipei without massive sacrificing with my career is going to be very hard. I'm probably going to have to try to move to a role where I have some flexibility and can bounce around a bit.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Is there anything interesting or worth doing in Hualien or is it a barren wasteland of culture.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Gf is going to be doing an internship there for a year, so I’m likely to pop in and out and was wondering if there’s anything to do when I visit while she’s busy haha. Aboriginal stuff and nature sounds cool enough though so I’ll probably survive.

On that note going to be in Taipei for a week from Monday; are there decent public gyms where I can lift? Was also looking at the local crossfit gyms but their websites suck rear end and also say nothing about visitors.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

The public gyms often gate off the squat cage and bars unless you’re with a trainer, for sad but understandable reasons.

This is the dumbest poo poo I’ve heard.

Fortunately did some more searching and just found a crossfit near more or less near my office that supposedly has barbells and all and see some comments from people saying they went as visitors!

Thanks for the other gym recs, I’ll check them out if I can’t use this crossfit place.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Yo get me a box of those peanut butter rolls please? Hiwalks right?

Yeah 海邊走走, I’ll grab a box

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Btw the easiest way to get to Hualien from Singapore is with a stopover in HK so I may be passing by your hood a fair amount next year

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

gently caress yeah. I know last time I was poo poo and on the phone most of the time, I'd like to have a proper evening with you again

Sitting around with you on the streets of I think TST? and getting pissed off conbini tall boys then leaking it out in a rat infested alley is still one of my fondest memories from my first HK trip

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Spent a week in Taipei with a day in Jiufen, must say I enjoyed it the most out of all the Taipei trips I’ve taken.

First few days were mostly just work and gym. Stayed at an AirBnB at Da-an, and ended up going to Crossfit LOGA and doing some drop-ins which are expensive at 1k a pop but the facility was nice and staff was really accommodating.

Then went to Jiufen and the surrounding area for a day and a night. Bit crowded with all the tourists but not too unmanageable and we happened be there on Friday for the one sunny day in last stretch.

Came back and stayed in the Zhongxiao area, which was a much more commercial and westernized area than I had been in Taipei in the last trips, and it was nice. Went to a couple good Italian restaurants and some good bars; ABV for beer and Placebo for some cocktails.

Looking forward to coming back again.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

yeah fair i just feel like if you want some blade runner rear end poo poo then taipei is going to leave you feeling disappointed because the parts that are modern are generic as gently caress for the most part beyond maybe 101's "stacked chinese takeout" look and that one twisty-rear end building that might be finished by now. if you want big city aesthetics go to like hong kong or something.

Reallly isn’t blade runner poo poo the combination of run down low tech ghetto looking places right alongside modern high tech? You could argue that Taipei is right up that alley.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Goons, need some kinda urgent help. Anyone have recommendations for a store where I could pick up a dress shirt and blazer/suit jacket in Taipei? Someplace that will have somewhat larger sizes (can’t fit into an XL at Uniqlo or whathave you).

I’m in Hualien for the week but a firm wants to interview me ASAP Thursday morning, so I’m going to their Taipei office for a videocon interview. I need to pick up some formalish clothes and will only have a few hours tomorrow evening to do it, so I can’t waste too much time looking around.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nothing hard. Want to keep it within a few hundred USD.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Thinking for shirts may hit up Aoyama-no-youfuku because they have a Taiwan store and I’ve had good luck with them in Japan. Tend to fit well off the rack with their large sizes.

Not sure what they have for blazers/jackets though.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Awesome, thanks for the recs all. May pass on the slacks and just go for a shirt and blazer and go business casual. Slacks are always a hassle anyway because I have a massive rear end despite not being too fat so that’s the usual hang up.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Gotta aim for that diversity quota hire

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Dress shirts and blazer got, had a single one that fit my shoulders off the rack and even had time to tailor the sleeves to length. Thanks for the recs dudes.

Coming from basically only spending time in Kaohsiung and Hualien I gotta day Taipei is quite nice. Way cleaner and international, which is know is kinda obvious but I so strongly associate Taiwan with the smaller cities that I almost forget there’s a fair international city here.

Hopefully I can move over in a couple years and maybe not nosedive my career in doing so.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was responding specifically to the "go vote" part because foreigners living in Taiwan having no legal political expression is a problem and has been for awhile.

You can argue this is a problem but it’s also the case almost everywhere in the world.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If voting is important to you then get citizenship. If you say you don’t want to because you don’t want to give up your other citizenship(s) then you’re making a conscious choice that your ability to leave the country is more important than participating in the country’s political system. Which is basically why most places don’t allow non-citizens to vote.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yes but also broadly speaking as most countries have no or limited voting rights for non-citizens.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

hey since china stopped giving out tourist visas to chinese people taiwan is cheap as hell for this year's golden week so I am probably gonna pop over.

i havent been to taiwan since i lived in taipei as a student in 2008 to i will mostly just be wandering around and eating food. is going down to tainan/gaoxiong worth it if i've never been?

Kaohsiung was votes like 5th most up and coming tourist city in Asia by someone somewhere man you can’t miss it

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s just W-G I’m pretty sure

I feel like a lot of Taiwan has some inconsistent romanization but I dunno

Magna Kaser posted:

today i learned kaohsiung is gaoxiong lmao what romanization system is that

From now on just refer to it as Takao, the Japanese name, to make everyone happy

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

It got that name because its Chinese name used to be 打狗

So is it that it used to be 打狗 then the Japanese changed it to Takao written as 高雄 which sounds similar, and it stuck?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Oh, and I've got to make time and visit the Taiwan beer brewery - about the only kind of beer I like drinking

Wh... what?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Vanilla posted:

Hi all,

Hoping to spend 5/6 days in Taiwan in April. Been reading this thread and other sources - appreciate any feedback or idea.

I was going to rent a car in Taipei and see

- Taipei (probably do tours, not use the car)
- Jiufen
- Taroko Gorge
- Sunmoon Lake

I'm purposely leaving it sparse because my time is quite limited. I might be able to squeeze another day....

Appreciate any input

Depending on your route that's like 600km of driving which is a solid chunk; as long as you're cool with that and won't tire out, it is a bit faster than trains.

Is Sunmoon Lake a major destination for you? Because that's the most far outside of your way as it's across the mountains in the middle of the island whereas everything else is within a reasonably small area to the East/Northeast.

Def don't drive in Taipei imo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I've been surprised by how many people don't realize, but you can opt-in for vaccine already if you like jfyi. Grabbed mine today. It's AZ so some people might want to wait for one of the mRNA ones, but it's there if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah but seems they're not strict and not a massive wait list; wife called Thurs and got me an appointment immediately on Monday. There's actually concerns that their first received AZ doses are going to expire as-is. This is in the South so may be more to go around relatively though. I think more people are waiting for Moderna since 5mm arrive in May: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202104150022

I'm considered high-risk and even qualified to get it free since I live with wife, who is a front-line worker, at any rate:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Bulletin/Detail/R1uGsf55IMBBnu24rzUGCA?typeid=9