Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Wait what's all this about eggplants?

Aubergine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The one I'm really not sure about is whether a gorget and a gherkin are different things or the same veggie.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Brawlholler, I think it was.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302316&perpage=40&pagenumber=33

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Here's where I make another post making fun of ESL teac

Fart

Yeah, fair.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Which school did you work at before you got into the translating gigs?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, it's for projecting and claiming other people you don't know not only know of but also believe in stuff like spermjacking. It's also for using words like cishet unironically.

What's wrong with cishet? It's clear, it's concise.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I sleep on the floor of a semi outdoor bar surrounded by kittens.

I haven't found one of these here in Taiwan yet, I might have to move back to Thailand

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's no way it's as bad as lining up at 6:45am and not even being the first one there and knowing it'll be at least 3 hours before you're finished, if you're lucky.

On the other hand, at the Taiwan immigration office I can't buy an entire cake while I'm waiting in line

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

It's also not like these foreign laborers don't know what they are getting themselves into with respect to work hours and salary. Of course not the abuse, but they are all aware of the basic structure of their contracts and yet they still choose to come here. Hmm... makes you think, huh?

It makes me think you're okay with people being treated poorly, yeah.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

This thread: people who sign contracts to come over and work in Taiwan are all literal slaves, to a one. In addition, what was true about slavery in America is equally true and relevant to Taiwan and its relationship with its foreign laborers. All of them.

Pandemonium really takes it personally when people threaten stray animals because without the dogs that live down by the river he would have nobody to talk to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'd try dog. Does this prove that white western American culture is degenerate and inferior?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ba hahahahahahahaha

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sure, I'll learn a little Chinese. Do you want to get classes together? All you had to do was ask.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

http://i.imgur.com/1AeetxB.jpg

I'm working here right now. I'll upload a pic of my book later when I get home.

Nice view! I'm all the way in town on the red line but I'm up near the Beitou area often enough. Let me know if you want to hang out and get a coffee or a beer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

url posted:

It's not a great panoramic pic, but, I was a little toasty.

the pointy thing is kinda famourse.

not pictured are the 10 or so people enjoying themselves having beers and bbq just to the left of me.

Yeah, the view from your roof is great. Makes me miss having a view like that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

http://i.imgur.com/PAqBwSZ.jpg

Kitchen view.

http://i.imgur.com/t1smuNW.jpg

Bathroom view with a bit of the tub in there at the bottom for good measure.

You should be able to see the bike path down below that I run on most days. My cardio is taken care of, but I still gotta find a gym. Probably the one and only lovely thing about my area.

Also, lol at Spanish Matlock conflating finding certain prostitution texts weird with autism. Reach more, please.

Nice. Even if my current place isn't so nice I really like being so close to the river and the sports center. It's great to have stuff like that so close and easy to get to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
RIP Pandemonium, killed by bingo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
"Worships at the PC altar"

Wait, what? Idgi

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

And PC = Politically Correct. I thought that was a well-known acronym, no? When you actually defend dog eating cuz it's just how they do things over there and who are we to judge, to me that is PC multicultural garbage, sorry. Agree to disagree, whatever. But I pretty much made up my mind on this nonsense after reading a Stanley Fish article on multiculturalism, something he wrote in the late 90s, well before this current ultra-PC regressive liberal climate in the west.

Here's a link if any of you want to read it:
https://handleshaus.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/boutique-multiculturalism.pdf

I mean... I get what PC means, I just didn't think people actually talked like this outside of Fox News talkshow panels. Ultra-PC regressive liberal climate? This is word soup.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're really in the wrong country for miniatures. There's a decent boardgame scene and I assume some people play X-Wing in the Bei Area, but anything more elaborate is going to be a handful of enthusiasts running it out of their house.

You should really be in Bangkok if you want to get your wargame on. There are active Saga, Frostgrave, Kings of War, and 40k scenes.

But honestly Frostgrave is terrible and people are only going nuts for it because some of the modes are good and GW has hosed up so bad recently.

Yeah, shockingly enough there's another city where the expat scene is goonier than here, or at least large enough so that the total amount of gooniness is greater just through weight of numbers.

Some of the expats even agree with Pandemonium about Asian cultures being backwards trash heaps, too!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?RubinReport

I like this gay liberal guy who used to work for TYT iirc (gently caress TYT), and he claims he came up with the word regressive liberal. So nice try on the Fox News hand-waving, but this is definitely terminology that gets used by sane liberals to refer to the fringe elements(s).

Highly recommend this guy's channel, though. He's got good interviews. His short interview with that British fellow Stephen Fry is what caused said regressive liberal EssJayWuus to lose their poo poo and pillory an older gay man with documented depression over his choice of words.

So what does "regressive liberal" actually mean to you?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

YF19pilot posted:

I am a historicals grog-nerd. I have transcended mere rules arguments. Rather my arguments are about numbers of rivets, appropriate fringe coloring on 19th century soldiers, and whether or not that is the correct green for German tanks in the summer of 1944.

Now, just imagine having this argument with a drunk guy in 35 degree C weather and that's an average Sunday for Atlas these days.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
But... I could say some poo poo like "I'm the best Mandarin speaker my Taiwanese friends have ever met" and it means just as much as you saying it, i.e. absolutely nothing. And everyone here will care just as much about me talking myself up as they do about you calling yourself the best.

E: and anyway yeah, like I said I'm down towards the city from where you seem to be, but if you ever want to get a coffee or a beer, just let me know!

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 28, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Unrelated to language talk: the Sev has a whole bunch of new good beers now. Is this that summer seasonal thing I heard about?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Pande "I Skip Leg Day" monium

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
God, I wish me thinking "he can get bent" was how the US government decided who to kill.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The next time I'm back home and somebody cuts me off in traffic? poo poo, they'd better get ready to meet my friend Mr. Smith & Wesson. Get bent!

Pandemonium posted:

Not a lot of people murdering others on subways and then being apprehended on the spot with CCTV and shittons of witnesses to boot. A bit different than being placed on death row cuz of some DNA or even less substantial evidence. Or, god forbid, a making a murderer scenario. It's a good thing that dude and mrt murderer literally have nothing in common.

So how much certainty is actually needed, then, y'know, where do you specifically draw the line? You must be this clearly, irrefutably guilty to be eligible for the death penalty. If you want that to be the policy there literally has to be a way to quantify how sure we are that someone's guilty. And the system has to be robust enough to resist governmental negligence or malfeasance.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TetsuoTW posted:

I like that the problem is apparently a question of the circumstances of the case and whether they warrant a death sentence and not whether death should even be a sentence.

I might not agree that it should, but I can accept the idea that if there's any case it could be applied in, it might be this one. But even then I can't see how you would set up the law to institutionalize "well this time we really really know he's guilty" and keep it abuse-proof.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Would you say that he can get bent?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My point is, where do you draw that line? How do you write that law that can judge flimsiness? If you're going to say "there's a difference between this one case where someone was convicted of murder and this other case where someone was convicted of murder"--well sure, there is, but that difference needs to be written into the law. How do you write the law so that it executes one of them and not the other? It's not as easy or simple as saying "well that's a different case and it's dumb to compare them."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

If you are caught at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon and victim DNA on you with CCTV and witnesses corroborating each other I'd say that goes down as an open-and-shut take him out back and put him down case. One of the few--if not the only--case that I think would fall into this category. I watched "Making a Murderer" like everyone else. I know how hosed justice systems are/can be. I'm not advocating for death row inmates to all be gatted. But when it is arrested-at-the-scene-of-the-crime-with-the-murder-weapon obvious, well, I'll make an exception.

So to be clear, you want a law that says "The accused shall be eligible for the death penalty if they are caught at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon and victim DNA on them with CCTV and witnesses corroborating each other."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GoutPatrol posted:

So if they had taken a week to find him they should execute him later, got it.

Not sure what you're getting at, to be honest.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How about a roller coaster that kills you with G-forces?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

quote:

The Euthanasia Coaster is an art concept for a steel roller coaster designed to kill its passengers.[1] In 2010, it was designed and made into a scale model by Julijonas Urbonas, a PhD candidate at the Royal College of Art in London. Urbonas, who has worked at an amusement park, stated that the goal of his concept roller coaster is to take lives "with elegance and euphoria".[2] As for practical applications of his design, Urbonas mentioned "euthanasia" or "execution".[3] John Allen, who served as president of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, inspired Urbonas with his description of the "ultimate" roller coaster as one that "sends out 24 people and they all come back dead".[4]

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Geez, I feel weird drinking in/outside of the Sev. I wouldn't do it in the US so it goes against instinct.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

I can pay like a 1/4 of the price for my booze and be around a bunch of trees and poo poo. Not a tough choice, really. Also, notice I said at a park and not simply outside the bianli shangdian like a claseless gongren.

Yeah, being an expat is a lot like being in college again. We're on the same page there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

I ain't peter panning like a large number of expats here, sorry. Got my business going; doing pretty well; blah blah blah. Drinking some beers outside occasionally is not synonymous with living a college lifestyle in your late 20s, early 30s.

Hey, whatever you need to tell yourself. I don't judge, much.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Day drinking?!

(I have to try to get a friend or two to come along. Hope you won't mind. I really want someone in this thread to have to guess who this poster is IRL.)

...why?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Brass monkey for the rugby. Come on over!

Hey, usually I'd love to, but I'm busy for at least the next few hours. Will you be out later tonight, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Brass Monkey is like every bar in Bangkok that I hate. If you move on, let me know.

If the Brass Monkey were in Bangkok it would be one of the superficially respectable ones that later turns out to be a Russian mafia front or a boiler room scam or something dumb like that.

But the food would probably be better.