Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Haraksha posted:

Yeah, 66,000 NT a month is ridiculous. You should probably expect to make like 500-600 NT an hour for your first job if you have no experience. The only way you're going to pull in more than 60,000 a month is if you work 25-40 hours a week teaching kindergarten in the morning every day and then teaching elementary school or junior high at night.

Commenting on this from the previous thread.

Somehow, when I asked about the wage rate for English teaching a few months ago, I got the impression that 2200 USD per month was what is typical. Still, even with the update, the wage rate is still fine. I will definitely have to save up some money here in the States as a cushion before I leave, though.

Thanks for the help. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it possible to order all of the normal crap from Amazon in Taiwan or would I need to look elsewhere for online ordering while I am there?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HappyHelmet posted:

You can, but I think it get prohibitively expensive when you factor in the extra shipping. Unless there is something really unique you want off of there plan on buying things locally.

Alright, is there an alternative to Amazon, then?

Also, are the things that this blogger complains about Hess true?: http://teachingenglishathesstaiwan.blogspot.com/

If so, why does nobody talk about this kind of bullshit (that she's making it out to be)? Are non-Hess schools less lovely?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 8, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DontAskKant posted:

Yeah, the unpaid work. In Korea I am working about 40+ a week once you factor in all the grading.

Are you NETs allowed to take privates? Our visa here in Korea forbids us from receiving any other pay or doing any other work. Sometimes even volunteer.

After skimming the Korea thread a few times before, I can easily see the difference in "unpaid work" (i.e. people seem to be exploited a hell of a lot more in Korea than in Taiwan).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TetsuoTW posted:

:words:

What about like buying a guitar, amp, computer parts to build a desktop PC, DSLR cameras, and the like? Having studied in a rural college town campus, I am just used to mainly relying on Amazon and NewEgg to deliver my crap to me.

That said, as long as I could at least buy these kinds of things in person (come on, it's Taipei), there's definitely no problem.

Oh, and yes, I definitely want to either bring an Amazon Kindle with me or buy one while I am in Taiwan. It's been on my wishlist for a while. :D There's a hell of a lot I've been wanting to read but been pushing off due to lack of time.

Also, I've studied Mandarin Chinese (Simplified, though) for three years and use Mandarin Pop-Up through Mozilla Firefox (really awesome and handy tool to use, by the way), so I can navigate a website like that given enough time.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 8, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For someone whose smartphone is probably going to go kaput in the near future and wants to buy an iPhone 4S with the possibility of using it in Taiwan as well as the US, what should I do?

Should I:

A.) Buy it in the US through AT&T (currently still under the family Verizon plan) and switch out the SIM card in Taiwan despite having a two-year contract

B.) Find a way of shelling out $650+ for an unlocked iPhone to use it without a previous contract or commitment

C.) Just wait until I get to Taiwan to possibly buy it cheaper there

D.) Get an iPhone 4S through Verizon and add the global component to the bill

E.) Some other mystery alternative I don't know about

I really want to move to an iPhone 4S (especially after researching it and toying around with my sister's iPhone and seeing how many of its feature solve a lot of the frustrations I've had with my current phone even before it started to really die on me), but none of the alternatives seem particularly good.

Thoughts?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 25, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Spanish Matlock posted:

WINNER!

Haha, kind of what I figured. How much would an iPhone 4S go for typically (expected price ranges) in Taiwan? Can I haggle the price down at all there? Would I be able to take it back to the US with me later and use it there, too?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

duckfarts posted:

Don't buy it in the US; if you want to buy one straight, it's $700ish here, no locking shenanigans, works anywhere with whatever SIM card you chuck in it. If you plan on being here for 2 years, set up a contract; you'll get it for about $300-400 depending in your model, and you will need to pay about a year's worth of bills in advance, but provided you have the funds, it's not bad(you generally have a $0 bill each month for a pretty long time or maybe a few bucks at worst for international calls or texting). Pick whichever of the 3 medium rate plans (monthly will be around 1300NT or $40-45ish including tetherable unlimited data) fits your needs best because all but the most expensive plan ends up being more or less the same in the end(with the weird sliding discount on the iphone) over the 2 years. Prepaid is really easy to get, but I wouldn't recommend it for data myself.

For those that don't need data at all, you can have a monthly plan that's retarded cheap; I had a 200NT monthly plan for the longest time that I hardly went over on.

Yeah, that seems like the best option overall. Just get any fancy electronic luxuries while I am in Taiwan and make do with some duct tape and rubber bands on my current phone until then.

Actually, speaking of which, does Verizon even sell straight-up SIM cards or would the better expectation be to just buy a SIM card through AT&T upon return to the US? Again, probably would be in Taiwan for a year at least working anyways and the iPhone 5 would probably be released by the time I actually get over to Taiwan.

I appreciate all of the advice! :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

caberham posted:

From what I remember, ordering smart phones direct in the us should be unlocked? Get a smart phone, it's 2012 and there are also many helpful apps and dictionaries. Don't t 9 type unless you like to text with the phone in your pocket.

Since it's summer time wait for the new iPhone 5 and buy five, then sell them in Taiwan for a profit. Hong Kong finally cleared the seven month waiting list (all our phones gets sold to barbarian main Landers)

Wait, do you mean ordering directly from Taiwan or from a factory that produces them? :confused:

Also, yeah, definitely given the time that it will take to get the money and buy the iPhone, let alone getting over to Taiwan still, I want to wait until the iPhone 5 is out to buy a new smartphone. I already have a Droid X, but it's basically falling apart on me (can't connect to the internet via Wi-Fi or 3G, hangs a lot, boots up and then hangs and then restarts again, can't receive MMS messages like before, etc.).

You don't have to tell me twice about wanting and getting use out of a new smartphone anyways, I use it for lists, apps, maps, pictures, video, internet, etc. already and would be willing to actually shell out the dough for an iPhone 5. It's incredibly productive for my life. Plus, being able to schedule my appointments (much more) easily on my phone and seamlessly between my phone and my laptop as I've seen done with the iPhone 4S would be a godsend. [/statingtheobvious]

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 26, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know CELTA/TESOL/TEFL training is not necessary to get hired in Taiwan, but I do want to prepare myself before I arrive so I'm not completely winging it.

This is the only TESOL/TEFL program I know of in my area anyways: Link. Is this even a credible course, given how short it is (CELTA programs seem to be six weeks long and the closest CELTA training center is in Chicago). Plus, distance learning TEFL certification is supposed to be useless anyways.

Is there anything I should read? Should I apply through HESS for formal training? Or am I really okay in just going to Taiwan and applying for jobs?

[EDIT]: It seems like the University of Cincinnati offers a Master's of Education with an online TESOL component. What is the point, especially since that program is like 2 years long?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 28, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ravendas posted:

Everybody wings it. It's expected. Being white means 2/3 of your job is done. Your main job is to keep the kids happy, and get them learning enough English so that their parents can see "My kid likes it, my kid speaks English" and continue giving money to your school.

You don't need anything beyond a bachelors degree, anything else is either gravy or ignored. My original training at my first school was just following the current teacher around and watch him teach. His training? Watch the previous teacher for awhile, etc etc etc.

Each school will have their own little training programs, but aside from getting you comfortable in Taiwan and trying to keep you from fleeing, they don't really teach a whole lot of teaching skills. "Hess formal training" lasts a week or so, and seems to be half team building exercises so you get a base of friends to fall back on so you don't flip out and flee as readily, and half going over the Hess specific curriculum.

Oh, okay. I think it's just that little bit of skepticism from not having been to Taiwan to see a buxiban for myself yet.

I'm definitely okay with the "being white and a native English speaker as a business" concept. I just still want to do a good job while I'm in it. I don't like to half-rear end things.

Will I make enough at a single buxiban to afford living in Taipei, assuming I find a small apartment with room mates? All accounts seem to point towards yes, but I really want to find work and live in Taipei out of any city in Taiwan starting out.

[EDIT]: Actually, scanning through Tealit, sharing an apartment with three room mates is almost exactly the same price as my apartment right now in a rural college town with three room mates (even cheaper when some places actually have utilities included). That is pretty crazy to me (and by crazy I mean wonderful).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 28, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it possible to get a job teaching English to adults or older learners compared to teaching kids right off the plane? I definitely like kids and would find it enjoyable teaching to kids, but something tells me I might enjoy teaching English to adults even more, at least given my experience teaching English to monks in their 30s and 40s.

For example, I'd enjoy coming up with Mad Libs and other ways to help kids learn, but it would be even more fun IMO to help adults with English in the context of international affairs (as I saw one posting for private tutoring on Tealit indicate) or business or another subject.

Would it be better to start with kids in a buxiban first just to get more comfortable teaching English as a job/advocate job experience to adult learners? Or does it not matter much?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TetsuoTW posted:

drat dude I don't know anyone who's been so fixated on getting all the details before arriving in Taiwan. poo poo, when I decided to move here I couldn't even place Taiwan on a map. I honestly thought it was what is actually Hainan.

:blush:

Sorry about that, I'm just a little excited (more like really excited) and thrilled about going and can't really wait. Plus, it's my first time doing this kind of thing (i.e. going abroad to support myself financially and to live totally independently there), so it can be a little intimidating. I can pull back on the posting about it, though.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 28, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thanks for the reassurance! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

That being said:

1.) Is it okay for teachers to have a beard when they apply for jobs or would it be an issue? Do employers prefer teachers clean-shaven or does it not matter? I'm not talking about anything bushy at all, just a full beard very closely trimmed to the face and kept well-groomed.

2.) Would a suit and tie help when dropping off resumes and talking to (and interviewing with) the management at buxibans or would a business casual/button-up shirt/collared shirt look suffice?

3.) Is it possible to request where you are assigned through HESS or is it more arbitrary like I've heard with the JET program in Japan? I really would prefer to work in Taipei my first year in Taiwan, if at all possible. On the other hand, I think I could really use the training and supervision through HESS even if I were to be assigned to a school in a different city.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 28, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Haraksha posted:

Poorly lit club after several bottles of soju and I had never knowingly met someone from Taiwan or Thailand before.

Haha, having been in Seoul in Hongdae district and drunk a lot of soju way past a reasonable hour myself, I can attest that this would be easier to do than you think.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do buxibans and the like drug test potential English teachers? I'm not sure if they would, but better to be on the safe side!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hi again Taiwan goons.

I've got two more questions if anyone has the time to answer:

1.) Are there any English-language therapy services offered in Taiwan? As in, at least some kind of English-based consultation with a therapist or another similar kind of professional?

2.) Is English-based literature easily found in Taiwan, such as in Taipei? Are there libraries or bookstores with good English-language texts (such as recent releases like No Enemies, No Hatred by Liu Xiaobo or older material like Albert Camus)? Would an Amazon Kindle be recommended in any case?

I'd appreciate the help! :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone had any experience with or know somebody who's gone through corrective laser eye surgery (e.g. Lasik) in Taiwan? Would the universal healthcare system there cover that kind of surgery?

I saw the Ask/Tell thread for it in that sub-forum and I figure as someone who has had two non-laser surgeries for astigmatism and lazy eye before and currently wear glasses now (I'd prefer to go sans glasses but not have to wear contacts), this could potentially be a great opportunity to take advantage of.

Considering a Canadian goon was able to do it for $2k in the Canada versus $10k in the US, I'm curious as to how it could work out in Taiwan.

[EDIT]: He did PRK apparently, but the point is still the same.

[EDIT 2]: And browsing the Forumosa forums, apparently surgeries for both eyes range between about $1k to $2k USD. What the hell, America?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 11, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TetsuoTW posted:

Nah, just a regular work visa. Officially I work for a school in Taipei doing translation stuff and freelance on the side, but for a good six months a year the freelancing's the bulk of my (pitiful) income. I don't remember the specifics - and should probably look them up - but translation comes under one of the parts of the tax code (editing/writing, IIRC) where it's fine to do alongside actual work. The 勞委會/CLA did try and step a couple of years back, but since everything's legit and above-board (I even pay tax on the work) the client involved and my ARC sponsor got it sorted with them.

Besides the officially sanctioned side-work, how restrictive are Taiwanese laws on foreigners and editing/writing jobs? Are there opportunities for translating/editing/writing outside of schools, such as with businesses, periodicals, think-tanks, film/entertainment industries, etc? Could being a (white American) native English speaker with some (not that great yet) Mandarin Chinese language training and good writing skills be a way of "breaking in" into different industries/organizations in Taiwan?

Also, how does Taiwanese law regard interning or volunteering alongside English teaching, editing/writing, or some other regular job? I'd really want to try and build up a network and otherwise get involved in Taiwan in ways that could help me in the long-run.

When I interned in Washington D.C. last summer, one of my bosses (a former congressman) had mentioned about how his nephew went to Taiwan after college to do English teaching, came back to the US to do an MBA at Harvard, and then went back to Taiwan to become a lead project manager for Apple there. I would hope there could be likewise long-run opportunities in other areas through living and working in Taiwan.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 12, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TetsuoTW posted:

Being an English speaker alone doesn't make you all that special here - there are already thousands of us. poo poo, there are even plenty of English-speakers here who speak amazing Mandarin.

That is a good point, unfortunately.

I mean, would you say there are more opportunities for a foreigner in Taiwan versus the mainland or Hong Kong or not? I'd still definitely prefer to be in Taiwan for extended working/living arrangements for sure, but I'm also very much open to and committed to finding opportunities for networking and career building wherever they can be found.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone tried setting up a business venture as a foreigner in Taiwan? I hope to get connected to Taiwanese business professionals through English tutoring on the side and eventually want to try my hand in entrepreneurship in Taiwan. Is this doable?

I figured the economic climate would be better in a booming economy than an anemic one (i.e. the US) for a start-up business at any rate. v:shobon:v

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of Chinese names for foreigners, would 麦湃河 work officially as a Chinese name? It's the name I used for my Chinese language classes during college and would prefer to keep the continuity. :)

[EDIT]: vvv Haha, that's awesome. Go Taiwan!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 21, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, two questions if you all don't mind:

1.) What sort of outlets for work are there for an aspiring writer in Taiwan (e.g. English-based publications or periodicals, technical writing, etc.)? Can a native English speaker get published in Taiwan or should I consider contacting people outside of Taiwan? Are there English-based writer's conferences or critique groups that operate in Taiwan?

2.) Apologies in advance for this awkward question (:blush:), but: Is it really difficult to get oversized condoms (think Trojan Magnum XL) in Taiwan? Assuming I'd be working as an English teacher for a year minimum starting out, should I expect to special order extra-large condoms from overseas? Those Japanese Kimono Large condoms are definitely too tight for me, unfortunately.

I appreciate the help. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just as a general question: How difficult was it for you all to transition to Taiwan permanently for the first time?

Did you pack a whole lot (as in, more than two big suitcases plus carry-on)? Did you need to have anything shipped from home to Taiwan? Did you buy most of your furnishings locally while getting set up in Taiwan?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Haraksha posted:

Korean soups are out of this world. Doenjjang jjigae remains one of my favorite dishes in the entire world. This is what Korean restaurants typically serve in place of the ubiquitous corn soup in Taiwan. It's not even fair to compare them.

The most important question, though, is: Can you get Sam Gae Tang in Taiwan?

I went to Korea for 1 1/2 weeks and I loving loved Sam Gae Tang. It's so delicious!

I still miss it now. :sigh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone transitioned from English teaching work to a different line of work in Taiwan yet? If so, how has your experience been and what line of work are you in now? I know a few have mentioned about this already, just looking for a roll call basically.

Aside from graduate school considerations, I really don't see myself going back to the United States to live at all. I know career security is definitely an issue for the future, but for right now as a young single male wanting to get better at Mandarin and to volunteer with Amnesty International in Taipei, English teaching in Taiwan seems like a perfect fit for me right now. :)

[EDIT]: On a completely different note, does Taiwan have any kind of a rave scene? How late do clubs or bars usually stay open till? Do people wander around drunk until 6 am like in Korea?

I ask since I had my first experience with a rave electronic music night the other night at a local bar and had a blast. I'd probably be one of those guys in a Berlin night club dancing until the sun rises. :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 17, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think I'm going to start my HESS application now. A few questions:

If I want to get there ASAP, should I select the Winter training term (November-December) for 3-4 months advance notice? Also, would a minor misdemeanor speeding ticket (20+ speed limit on highway in 2012) count as an offense on my criminal record history? Do they care about specific grades or GPA or just that you have completed your BA (I had a rough personal incident during my Senior year and some of my grades turned from Is to Fs before I got my BA; my in-major and College of Arts and Sciences GPA is still strong, just overall suffered)? And - this is a silly question - is there a drug screen at any point? I'm abstaining from pot now and will be okay going without while I'm in Taiwan, just want to check all my bases. Also, if anything I should know with interviews after submitting my application or what the HESS process is like.

Thanks, appreciate the help. :)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 5, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

USDA Choice posted:

• Yes
  • No
  • If your GPA is good, put it in there. If it's bad leave it out. edit: If it's still above 3.0 I'd list it alongside your major GPA
  • Not really. They give you a blood test (all English teachers have to undergo one) upon arriving before you can get your resident card but it's mostly tested for AIDS and a couple other nasty diseases. They aren't going to run it for cannabinoids, but perhaps other harder drugs in high enough doses would appear? I'm no hematologist but unless you're going all Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with your body I don't think it'll show.
  • Talk up any teaching experience you have, even if it's being a TA in high school. Also talk up experience with kids. Use common sense when replying to any scenario questions like "What would you do if a kid starts crying?" so you build to more serious steps like first talking to him quietly in English while the class is busy, then getting the CT involved and let the kid speak Chinese, then have the kid leave the room with the CT.

Thanks for the response. :)

I feel like I've got a compelling background for being a strong candidate: when I studied abroad in northern India in Fall 2010 I volunteered and taught English to Tibetan monks for two months (is that a no-no in Taiwan like it is in mainland?), I've got 4 years of (albeit really rusty) college Mandarin under my belt, I was born abroad and have lived in a few places abroad, I got a scholarship to Korea in 2011 for a Spring Break Youth Exchange program, etc.

While I'm Taiwan, would there be possible opportunities (or that I could make) to volunteer and get work in copywriting while I'm teaching English for my day-job? How open are marketing/creative departments in Taiwanese companies to that sort of thing?

Also, it looks here that I need to do a short teaching demo over Skype. Has anyone had any difficulty with this part? How long did the overall process from submission of application to arriving in Taiwan take?

Are there outlets for English writers of fiction and poetry in Taiwan (eg communities, slam poetry, publication, etc)? I also would be highly interested in volunteering for Amnesty International in Taipei if I can get placed there.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 5, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BottledBacon posted:

In terms of being able to get work while also teaching English, it's possible, I work in a job with no contract right now, but I think with HESS if that's your chosen path it might be a little difficult.

Even if that's the case, are there opportunities to network and get involved with marketing professionals in Taiwan? I'll probably be busy between English teaching and studying Mandarin anyways, just curious.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do HESS schools mainly teach kids from kindergarten to early elementary (or the equivalent)? I get along really, really well with kids and I think I'd do really well in a class teaching kids looking at the class videos. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TetsuoTW posted:

McDonald's burgers look real tasty in their videos too.

True, but the point still stands, I enjoy working with kids even under bad circumstances.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Alright, submitted my HESS application and questionnaire. :) Would they turn someone down for using counseling once a month for a few months back in 2012 for family issues? I am totally fine and healthy now and not using counseling/medication/etc now, just wondering if that would be an issue.

[e]: What are Taiwanese internet speeds like compared to US connections? Is it like South Korea where every nook and cranny has an ethernet port and gets crazy good speeds as the norm?

Also, are there temples or sanghas for English-speaking people wanting to learn more about Buddhism in Taiwan? I've seen some majestic and awe-inspiring temples in Seoul, Korea (not enough time to actually talk to people there, though) so I'm curious about Taiwan and Buddhism.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 5, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

USDA Choice posted:

Trust me(us), you're overthinking it. If they were as selective as West Point they wouldn't have any English teachers. There are a lot of round pegs escaping square holes at Hess, if you will.

Internet is quite cheap and powerful. I paid less than NT$1000/month for 25up/10 down plus a mid-tier cable package, and I don't think it was even that good of a rate since my last apartment building only had 1 provider and thus no competition. Still, this crushes American rates for the same service.

Sorry, just been in a rut recently job-wise here in the Midwest and would be better off working in Taiwan now while I'm still young. Conditions probably make me come off as over-earnest. v:shobon:v

Also, goony question, but is Taiwanese Internet good enough to get a decent ping with a US East or West server? I'd still like to be able to play on my old TF2 servers. How are Taiwanese/East Asia game players/servers?

[e]: Personal favorite restaurants? I was a fan of street food in Seoul and India, but curious about local cuisines you all like.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 5, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Moon Slayer posted:

poo poo, hang on guys, I need to go cancel a business card order.

EDIT:

I didn't know it was Serious Business, guys :smith:

Was reading through back pages when I saw this.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up becoming a Copy Editor for the China Post? Any sort of copywriting or editing or even just general writing/editing jobs I'd be highly interested in exploring once I get settled in Taiwan after a while.

[e]: Also, is there a story behind betel nuts and Taiwanese? Has it been a thing on the island or mainland before the KMT rout to Taiwan? For some reason, I feel like it could make for a good plot device in a story with the title "Betel Nut Blues." No idea why, just springs to mind as something to draw on as a premise for a novel or short story. v:shobon:v

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 6, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

poetrywhore posted:

I haven't found any, poet here, been looking for a hot minute. Let's be homies though.

Sure, that'd be great. :)

Not related to Taiwan, but what kind of poetry do you like to write? I would PM this but I don't have Platinum features.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DontAskKant posted:

Oh? Where? Dish? I live here and know things well and don't know what you mean.

Like Jogyesa Temple off of Myeongdong?

That's pretty majestic to me, maybe not for you? v:shobon:v To be fair, by "some" I was mainly thinking of Jogyesa.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 7, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yay! I got the interview with HESS! :toot:

Scheduled for Thursday evening, wish me luck!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thanks for the advice. :)

Also, question about the teaching demo they'll be asking about :

quote:

How would you teach the following example to a class of students who have been studying English for about 4-5 months?

They already know the sentence pattern:

Is this a (noun)?
Yes, this is a (noun).
No, this is not a (noun).

You have to introduce and teach the possessive adjectives HIS/HER with the new sentence pattern:

Is this HIS/HER (noun)?
Yes, this is HIS/HER (noun).
No, this is not HIS/HER (noun).

What would you do to teach this to the class?

Wouldn't it be fair to point out to the kids that you want to focus on replacing the "a" (from the previous sentence pattern) with "his/her" to build on what they already know? And also to let the students use the new sentence with other male and female classmates so they process it? Or am I missing something here?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 10, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GoutPatrol posted:

Then once they hear you speak the new pattern, write it up on the board, specifically noting to erase the A part and replace it with his and her, showing them the positive and negative answers you could say.

That's what I meant when I said "point out." Sorry for vagueness.

But that is good advice, thank you. I have taught 30-40 year olds before so I'm more used to using other English words to get to the new English material, it's different thinking about kids super new to English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another random question: is trimmed facial hair (full beard) okay on an English teacher? I promise I am neckbeard free.