Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Capitalist lapdogs of the dissident province of Taiwan, what's the deal with tourism visas for citizens of the People's Republic of China? Is it still only possible to fly over with a guided tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

duckfarts posted:

Please translate your English to English, thank you.

A PRC citizen wants to visit the ROC. How to acquire visa?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Mainlanders can travel to Taiwan on their own. They dont really have any restrictions in this day and age.

Do you know anything about the visa application process? As far as I know they aren't visa-exempt (unlike you Hong Kongers :argh:)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kakaotalk is the best, praise Banao.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Any must eat or drink local places in Tainan or Kaohsiung? I'll eat or drink anything good. I have a brewer i can meet up with, but nothing for food.

This is what was recommended to me when I asked a friend in Kaohsiung.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How 'bout I park a semi in your colon.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Might be the coteacher who was murdered :tinfoil:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is Pandemonium the Pro-ROC Laowai?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Those goddamn ESL teachers with their good working conditions, higher than average wage and freedom! :911:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Tiananmen Square Incident wasn't just students and calling it a well-earned smackdown makes you a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

e: Which Bloody Sunday Massacre? There are three and none of them are comparable. Maybe the Russian one, but that wasn't an isolated event.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Come on, now, it was only about 75% arbitrary.

These lines are not straight enough for proper British borders.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pork floss is pretty great, red beans are pretty great, mooncakes besides the lotus/egg mooncakes are pretty great.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't know why people don't just make their own mayo. All you need is an immersion blender and a cup.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pandemonium posted:

poo poo! I forgot Moon Slayer doesn't speak any Chinese and thus has a dating pool limited to 西餐妹 and cram school employees. Go ahead and godspeed ruining your working environment when the chick tells you she has a bf already / rejects you / laughs at you / you date and find you have nothing in common / you date for a while and then break up because you cannot relate to her at all because you speak no Chinese / etc. You know the only good ending to a story that starts with dating your co-worker is marriage, right? Are you going to marry her?

Anyway, my interest right now is in hearing from the Hakka circles about 空心菜, seeing as she is a Hakka and Hakkas are deep blue. I wonder if there is some traitor talk in their communities? Would be interesting to talk to some people on the street if I still lived in 竹北, but alas I don't.

And heaven help some of the posters here who apparently think writing about getting an erection by the tears that are shed by ignorant, foaming-at-the-mouth 台獨 people because of the inevitable failure of these politicians to live up to the hype is meant to be taken seriously. This isn't your retarded Facebook Groups. Lighten up.

lmao did properk move to taiwan?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"alright guys there's a token transgender on TV so There Are No LGBT Problems"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ugh Grand Fromage did you really have to use simplified characters !!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fresh off the boat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hello Taiwan goons. I'll be on holiday in your province in September for two weeks (10/9 - 24/9), anything special going on around that time? Is that food map that was posted earlier still maintained / accurate? Most of the time I'll be stuffing things in my mouth, so it'd be grand if I could rely on that.

Also: How's the Airbnb situation over there, compared to hotels or minsu (in fact I have no idea what a minsu is except that it's a Taiwanese thing)?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Awesome. I saw some really cheap hotels in Taipei (and then found out they're capsule hotels, so I'll never fit in there with my giant Dutch body), but Airbnb is usually preferable.

I'm flying into Songshan, so with some luck I'll just be able to walk to the place I'm staying. Unless you guys would recommend a better area to stay?

I guess I should install LINE too while I'm at it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CaptainEO posted:

There is an MRT (subway) station at Songshan airport so you're set on transportation. Anywhere in Taipei is probably fine. I'd recommend being near Taipei Main Station, Gongguan, or eastward towards Taipei 101 for plenty of things to do.

Ah sweet. Good to know where to look, thanks!

I won't be in Taichung in time for the jazz festival unfortunately, I'll be stuck in Xiamen at the time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Besides flying or taking the train via Taipei / Kaohsiung, is there any way to go from Hualien to Taichung directly? Or should I just grab the bus that goes halfway and turn it into a daytrip there?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If I can take a car across one-way that'd work. But doubt that's possible.

Might just adjust my schedule to fly across.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Eh the only reason I'm going to Taichung is to stay with a friend.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I grabbed a Chunghwa SIM card at the airport with unlimited data for one month for 1000NTD and even had 4G when hiking near Lishan, so I wouldn't worry about coverage too much in Taipei itself.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Anyone have inroads for finance industry recruiters? Not looking to move for maybe a couple of years but I figure it might be worth it to look around early in case something really good shows in the meantime.

Same but for IT. I've already dumped my CV on 104 but would be good to talk to people about the situation on the ground.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this is a stickup posted:

I would strongly recommend against considering IT in Taiwan. everyone I know from CSIE that isn't in hardware r&d (MSI, HTC etc) is beyond depressed and trying to jump ship to another country. I don't know anyone in ops.

e: if you're set on taiwan and IT, get a remote position somewhere in the western world, and take a trip somewhere every few months to renew a landing visa.

Good to know, thanks. I'm an ops guy (Windows, Azure, Powershell), I'll consider doing remote work but the visa renewals don't seem appealing. We'll see I guess, not in a rush, and plenty of decent offers here.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

[quote="“Atlas Hugged”" post="“477223311”"]
The reality is that an English teacher with no experience can reasonably expect to pull in 50-70k NT a month while working a fairly lenient teaching schedule and entry positions in the tech industry start around 45-50k and come packaged with Taiwanese corporate culture.
[/quote]

I appreciate the advice, especially the salary figures. Just not looking for an entry level position.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

politicorific posted:

Jeoh, you're a long time Korea goon, come jump ship!

Haha, I spent two months in Korea and haven't been back since... 2013. I guess the only people who leave Korea with a positive experience are the tourists.

I've started applying to a few jobs on 104, we'll see what comes out of it. I guess your road (ESL -> Technical Writing -> Tech Job) is the most common way, but since I'm not a native English speaker it makes things a bit more complicated.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I spent two weeks in Taiwan and could easily spend two more months exploring the country.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I recommend these as well. I will note that the Nationalist bias at the memorial is very obvious if you know anything about modern Chinese history and all the pictures of Kai Shek and Ching-kuo makes them look like the Kims in the 70's. There's a lot of cool artifacts though. The changing of the guard is cool too if you like military ceremonies.

The Republic of China Armed Forces Museum is really good. When I was there a couple years back they had an exhibit dedicated to the Flying Tigers. The officer's club is either connected or right next to it and has an awesome oil painting of the Battle of Jinmen above the entrance. They allegedly used their Sherman tanks :911: to run over throngs of PLA soldiers when they ran out of ammunition. It was the last ground battle of the Chinese Civil War and the PRC doesn't talk about it outside of military think tank papers.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...34!4d121.508277

I'm a Chinese history nerd, especially the Nanjing Decade through the Cold War, so it was extra cool to me but the other goons and nongoons I went with enjoyed it.

drat I wish someone told me about this. I thought the National Palace Museum was kinda poo poo tbh, but that might have been because of the Mainlander hordes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

kuddles posted:

How often is the mountain road between Cingjing and Taroko closed off due to bad weather? I'm going to be in Taiwan for 9 days in early November and was planning on getting a private driver to take me from Cingjing to Xincheng with scenic spots in the gorge along the way, but a lot of similar itineraries I see online have most people going back to Taichung through to Taipei and then back down to Hualien and wanted to know if there are reasons other than just expense. I've heard there can be mudslides? I feel like going straight through the road would be more convenient with only 9 free days, but not if chances are high I will need to drastically change my plans the day I wake up in Cingjing.

The only way between Taichung and Hualien by bus requires an overnight stay in Lishan and catching two early morning buses, or flying, or the train route you described. The road itself is beautiful and fine outside of typhoon season.

Lishan is cool though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

There is a road that goes across the island between Hualien and Taichung/Nantou but regular traffic can't use it I think? Only a bus service.

The bus service ends at Lishan and you have to stay overnight to take the next bus to Taichung (at least that's how it was when I took it in 2018). That bus also stops at Puli (the geographical centre of Taiwan~~~) and from there it's not too far to Sun Moon Lake.
Lishan is really nice too, good tea, and you can stay in the same room Chiang Kai-shek did when he stayed there with his wife!